Ammo Box Sources (online)

:lol: One very good source is: CheaperThanDirt.com. They offer many types a good prices.

Last I looked CTD.com wasn't selling them anymore, at leat the 6 pack of .30 cal boxes. They do have the .50 cal but they really jacked up the price on those. $8 ;) . They used to be $4.99

Right now Cabelas.com has the the 6 pack of .30 cal boxes for $19.99.

I know you specified buying them online, but have you checked at an army surplus store? I'd be afraid that the weight of the ammo boxes means you're going to pay a good deal for shipping if you buy them online. My local store has gobs of them, I got a 30 caliber box for $2.95.

EDIT: The other good thing about buying at a store is that you can inspect them and pick out the "best" ones.

Edited by DreadPirateRoberts

Army/Navy stores are probably the best place, although prices can vary greatly. Shipping is really killer when it comes to ammo cans, cause they're heavy and bulky. Best to get them locally if at all possible. I just picked some up at an Army/Navy store for $2.95 each for .30 Caliber, and $4.95 each for .50 caliber. I've seen them as high as $9.00 for .50 caliber though. I sometimes see them posted on ebay too, but again, just check the shipping.

Army/Navy stores are probably the best place, although prices can vary greatly. Shipping is really killer when it comes to ammo cans, cause they're heavy and bulky. Best to get them locally if at all possible.

Ditto DocDiTTo. I've also found Gun Shows to be a good, reasonably priced source.

©¿©¬

I know some people like ammo boxes, but I have gotten to like Lock 'n Lock containers. They are seriously cheap and good. I can go to Target and buy a three box set of different sizes and pay only $6! Some places don't allow ammo boxes, but clear tupperwere is like Visa, good anywhere!

I did find an interesting site for ordering ammo boxes.

http://www.snappysupply.com/

They have 30 cal for $5.50 and 50 cal for $2 more. That's not all that cheap, but the good news is they seem to have a flat $8 shipping rate regardless of quantity. I put 20 boxes in my order and they still said it would be $8 for flat rate shipping. Not sure if this will go through the ordering process without change though.

If someone wants a few of these, I think this is the best deal I have seen when you include shipping. Let us know if they really do have $8 flat rate shipping on ammo boxes.

I've seen ammo cans in plastic lately. Not military. I got one from Bass Pro Shops, here in Canada, and I saw other ones at Canadian Tire. They're about the same size, maybe a bit bigger, than the standard ammo can, they're made of olive green plastic, and they open the same way. They have a rubber gasket in them as well, just like the military ones. The ones I've seen are made by Plano, and by Flambeau. The one I picked up had a Plano catalogue inside. It looks like they have them in several different sizes. They call them either Ammo Boxes or Field Boxes, depending on the model. I put the one I picked up out as a cache the other day so how it performs is still to be seen. I don't see why it wouldn't work as well as or better than the metal military ones.

L8R,

Tom

:laughing: One very good source is: CheaperThanDirt.com. They offer many types a good prices.

Last I looked CTD.com wasn't selling them anymore, at leat the 6 pack of .30 cal boxes. They do have the .50 cal but they really jacked up the price on those. $8 :tired: . They used to be $4.99

Right now Cabelas.com has the the 6 pack of .30 cal boxes for $19.99.

Got that deal a couple of years ago from Cabelas, and shipping was only about $3 (for the person later in the thread who expressed concern about that, don't feel like quoting :laughing: ) Turned out to be less than $4 per box, and all 6 were in outstanding condition. They also at the time offered (4) .50 cals for the same price ($19.99).

I've seen ammo cans in plastic lately.

L8R,

Tom

The squirrels like knawing on them. I had two in operation for a couple of years. One had knaw marks on it making a small hole.

Thanks for the info. My cache is away from the kind of trees the squirrels hang out in, but I'll keep this in mind for future caches. I wonder if there's a perfect cache container. One that won't leak, rust, get eaten, is a good colour or easily painted, won't freeze shut in winter, doesn't look like a bomb....

L8R,

Tom

if you have any hunting stores around, you may not need to pay online shipping.

I just got back from fleet farm ( http://www.fleetfarm.com/locations_and_hours/ ) and I was so happy to find ammo cans on sale there for 3.99 each. I'm guessing most sporting good or hunting stores would have them as well, probably for cheap.

I've seen several plastic caches chewed up by squirrels and full of water because of it, so I'd avoid them if possible.