Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
P38manCdn

Gps And The Family Radio Service

I have used mine for long hikes or bike rides with large groups. As everyone has a different pace, we tend to get strung out along the trail, the radios allowed us to keep in touch and the long legged fast walker (or riders) could call back and point out hazards along the way.

Today's Cacher has an article here.

A bunch of us from work have various models of the Garmin RINO GPS/FRS unit. We have found them to be very handy at work and play.

I just bought some 5 watt Midlands to have fun with while geocaching. I had to go to the states to get them with this power. I hope the extended range is real and not just a selling point. Will let you know if they are better than my old Cobras.

Ahhzie :wacko:

The local group I belong to (SLAGA www.geostl.com) encourages the use of FRS especially for event caches and the like.

Max...

K0AZV

Team Everest here in Wisocnsin, we use FRS freq's while caching if it proves to be a tough cache. We typically use channel 1. Our radio's are actaully GMRS 'expensive kenwood' TK series radios pushing 6 watts,but FRS is programmed into them. get about 2 mile range in the woods. Never ever heard anyone on FRS related to caching here in WI.

Hi all,

I know the FRS is not Ham, but I was wondering if many people use the FRS radios for geocaching?

GCG88H FRS Activated Prototype