Personal Gypsy Geocoin Pre-sale

rowanf

Sold out in 12 hours........

Indeed. I am dumbstruck. I had a dozen folks coming for dinner tonight and I checked in as soon as I had dinner on the table and over 200 of the 250 I mean to mint have been bespoken. I will keep track of trade requests. I wanted a coin so I'd *have* something for trades; I never expected so many to be sold. My impression from reading the forums here and from my local coin club (which doesn't bulk buy personals) was that a personal coin didn't have that many legs. *shakes head in amazement*

Recently in a thread called " Coin Makers - Full Disclosure, Up Front" started by Renegade Knight there has been an interesting discussion on whether people's stated intentions about creating a coin should bind the number of coins made because collectors have used those initial statements to figure value.

I am in a dilemma myself. I wanted a personal coin to trade. So I made one. As seems to be the custom, I figured I'd sell some to help pay for the ~$1k costs involved which is a bit more ready cash than I have lying around.

I said I'd mint 250 coins. In under 12 hours almost all of them sold. I dont' have any left for trades or leaving in caches which is what I wanted them for! Nothing anyone had mentioned in the forums prepared me for the feeding frenzy that ensued when I published my pre-order info. Also, it looks like 8-10 people places orders after I said they were sold out. Is it better to do refunds or have coins to give them?

If I bump the run to 300 so I can have some for my own use have I sinned against the community?

I really don't know what the aftermarket is in coins, or whether people really expect some kind of appreciation in value. I wasn't trying to create a collectible, I was trying to create a signature item. Is it a total solecism to mint enough so I have my own coin to enjoy?

Personally I feel that RK has valid points when it comes to cachers continuing to raise the amount of coins by 100 or 500 and they continue to put out two or more different kind of metals after the original sale. However, this is supposed to be your coin. You want to trade for others or put them in caches so increase your order. I do not find that sinful.

If individuals are upset by increasing it by 50 coins, give them the option of revoking their coin order. (I doubt many people will do this.)

Edited by LadeBear68
And for the problem of no coins for trade...

I think it is easy to order some more coins with the money from the pre-orders. :o

My understanding and my practice was that personal coins can only be sold for cost. The price of $5 reflects my costs.

For a run of 250 of my particular coin (# of colors, etc) was

$440.00 for 250 coins

$ 70.00 for 1 2-D die

$112.50 for laser etching 1-6 characters

$ 80.00 for shipping

--------

$702.50 total for 250 coins ($2.81 per coin)

$375.00 for trackable numbers

-------

$1077.50 total for 250 trackable coins ($4.31 per coin)

plus .20 for labeling with the number and activation code

and the paypal transaction fee (1.9% to 2.9% plus .30) about .52 on a single coin purchase and less on larger purchases because the .30 add-on is what really hurts.

That gave me $5.03 per coin in costs for single coin sales.

hen I'm figuring .30 per padded envelope (size 000 bought off ebay) or about .50 bought at office depot locally. The coin itself weights 1oz so with packaging it will be a little heavier. There have been discussions about whether to use usps tracking. I'm not sure if I am, I'll base it on whether it is covered by the $2.50 I asked for just because that was what I had seen other people ask and figured it must cover the costs. People have mentioned $1.30 for shipping and .50 for tracking for single coin shipments. I haven't gotten that far myself. I have given coin clubs buying 15-20 a break on shipping, just looking up what it will cost via USPS and UPS and taking the cheaper of the two.

So, if there are any left for me to trade or if I up the run by 50 more coins, I will be paying for them out-of-pocket at $4.51 ea (since I don't have paypal fees).

This really hasn't been about making money. It was about having a large enough order to make it possible to have a personal coin. The response to my artwork has been appreciated! But goodness, I never expected the run-away sell-out I got.

I think you should go ahead and get the extra coins. If you are using them for trades and leaving in caches get them a different metal. I want the coin because gypsys are still quite common in this area of Britain so it has a double meaning...personal coin and personal cause. If I get the chance to go after a second more unique gypsy coin you can bet I would:)

My opinion and I am sticking with it. Make an extra 50 for yourself.

Lynn

It's obvious to me that your intentions are noble (helps that I've met you in person), so I would go ahead and mint some more. Why not put the $70 die fee to good use? :o

And thanks for being up front and sharing with us the accounting of the costs involved. Only a very few notable cachers have bothered to do this. :P

I want to add that I really appreciate all this info as I had been thinking about a personal coin myself about 6 months ago and then we slowed down and took a break in caching for the summer only to come back and find thuis craze! I now have the same intentions as you do in that I would want to make one just as a personal signature item for trades and sharing but like you, those initial costs scared me. The breakdown above helps and I may someday still go ahead but I really want more input from others in our area if and when we decide to go ahead.

I wanted to let people know that I ordered 300 coins rather than the 250 I originally estimated. If that is a deal breaker for anyone who got one, I will be happy to refund your money.

They are expected to be in my hands about December 21, but my daughter will be in the hospital starting on 12/20 for 7-10 days. I'm figuring that I'll be mailing things out after the Christmas mail rush at the earliest but I wanted warn folks that there may be a delay if my vision of sitting by a hospital bed stuffing envelopes is unrealistic. *sad smile*

Rowan, The Gypsy

I wanted to let people know that I ordered 300 coins rather than the 250 I originally estimated. If that is a deal breaker for anyone who got one, I will be happy to refund your money.

They are expected to be in my hands about December 21, but my daughter will be in the hospital starting on 12/20 for 7-10 days. I'm figuring that I'll be mailing things out after the Christmas mail rush at the earliest but I wanted warn folks that there may be a delay if my vision of sitting by a hospital bed stuffing envelopes is unrealistic. *sad smile*

Rowan, The Gypsy

Best wishes to you and your family and hopes of a speedy recovery for your daughter. Holidays are meant to be spent with family at home not in hospitals :rolleyes: .

Take your time we will still be here once the dust settles