Travel Bug Abducters

rxzephyr

Wondering what people out there have done when someone picks up a travel bug and then hangs on to it "forever". I have 3 travel bugs out there that have been in people's hands for everywhere from 1 month to going on 4 months.

Emails to the "geocachers" have gone unanswered.

What have people done to prod infrequent or inactive geocachers to relinquish their travel bug.....

Thoughts?

RXZ

Not much you can do. I've seen posts in local forums asking if anybody knows the person and some of these have been successful.

This one of mine has been held by the finder for almost a year and a half. I've sent numerous e-mails and even offered several times to send him a postage paid envelope so he could just drop it in and throw it in a mailbox. Not a single response :lol: .

This one of mine

That one wasn't so lucky I guess.

I've had a couple disappear also. One picked up by a "one cache wonder". They apparently didn't enjoy caching and hung up their GPSr after one cache. I figure that TB is at the bottom of their junk drawer.

Another, I finally got ahold of the cacher after several unanswered emails. I finally emailed the cacher's sister (realizing they cached together), who forwarded it on. The reply I got caused my monitor to blister! Hopefully, she is no longer a geocacher. I kissed that TB goodbye (I figure she tossed it in the trash).

That's what you're faced with in this game!

:lol:

Makes me wonder why these people even bother taking a travel bug.

Most, if not all, of mine have instructions attatched so it's not like they don't understand and ANYONE who's in the geocaching game for any amount of time knows the deal with travel bugs.

Anyone who "gives up" on the hobby and abandons a travel bug is just a disgrace. They obviously think that people have money to burn.....

Frustrated doesn't begin to describe it.

One to four months does not seem to be an inordinately time time for some geocachers to hold travel bugs. Yes, we would like them to move more quickly, but there are an awful lot of micro caches out there!

Now, if someone could translate this fom the Dutch for me, I'd know if my TB is still alive: Furby FAC

Underway dug up. Rapidly further will will occur for kletspraat.

So I guess that basically means they found it and will move it as quickly as possible?

Wondering what people out there have done when someone picks up a travel bug and then hangs on to it "forever".  I have 3 travel bugs out there that have been in people's hands for everywhere from 1 month to going on 4 months.

What have people done to prod infrequent or inactive geocachers to relinquish their travel bug.....

Thoughts?

RXZ

I have emailed gc.com in the past and asked them to remind person/s that they have my TB. The folks at gc.com sent a friendly reminder and teh bug was released. You might try it. I have Mr. Bonus now being held hostage by an accountant in Texas, I have emailed the person four times and received no answer.

Being held by CMAREK, who last went to gc.com on 11/18/2005 and I just sent the fifth email inquiring where my TB is to this person that claims to be a geocacher.

Edited by Colorado Cacher
Now, if someone could translate this fom the Dutch for me, I'd know if my TB is still alive:  Furby FAC

So I guess that basically means they found it and will move it as quickly as possible?

Not exactly a shining example of the power of the bable fish translation tool <_< I guess my chances of using it to find any of the dozens of internet findable virtuals with the cache descriptions in German are pretty slim.

Whenever I see this lament posted I make this suggestion to TPTB....

Make it so you don't get credit for a TB until you post your second log when you move it on. Right now you get the TB credit when you log having found it. For many people either because of carelessness or laziness, there is no real incentive to move the TB on. Many TB's are given to the kids or tossed in a closet and forgotten or lost. Change the logging requirements and the percentage of dead TB's would probably go way down.

While I agree with that suggestion (pretty darn good one at that) and I think it would keep some travel bugs moving quicker, I still think that there are a good number of travel bugs that will still go awol.

That's because most of the people who are abducting them never come back to geocaching or are such infrequent geocachers that the stats don't matter to them anyway.....

On a separate note, I'm thinking about setting up the "International Travel Bug Rescue League". Basically, the premice - if it doesn't already exist - is to link TB owners with local Geocahers/GC Associations who might be able to rescue a TB which has been stranded in an infrequently visited cache or someone local might know the abducter in question (heck, you may have been the person who introduced them to the sport!) and can get the TB from them. What do people think of that idea/concept?

RXZ

One to four months does not seem to be an inordinately time time for some geocachers to hold travel bugs.  Yes, we would like them to move more quickly, but there are an awful lot of micro caches out there!

Now, if someone could translate this fom the Dutch for me, I'd know if my TB is still alive:  Furby FAC

(from LookWAYup.com) "kletspraat":

(1) [n] light informal conversation for social occasions. (chitchat, small_talk, gab, gabfest, gossip, tittle-tattle, chin-wag, chin-wagging, causerie)

(2) [n] a report (often malicious) about the behavior of other people. (gossip, comment, scuttlebutt)

Assuming that it's definition 1, I'd guess that they are taking it to an event.

edit: Or maybe not. freetranslation.com renders it as

"On the way opgeduikeld. Will fast further again go to prevent rubbish talk.".

Maybe it means they want to drop it off quickly so that no one speaks badly of them in the TB forum <_<

Edited by the hermit crabs

(1) [n] light informal conversation for social occasions.  (chitchat, small_talk, gab, gabfest, gossip, tittle-tattle, chin-wag, chin-wagging, causerie)

(2) [n] a report (often malicious) about the behavior of other people. (gossip, comment, scuttlebutt)

edit:  Or maybe not.  freetranslation.com renders it as 

"On the way opgeduikeld.  Will fast further again go to prevent rubbish talk.".

Maybe it means they want to drop it off quickly so that no one speaks badly of them in the TB forum  :o

Me, I was only speaking badly of babel fish translation from altavista.com, which is exactly where the first person to attempt to translate it from got their translation from (I tried it with the same result). Thanks for the link to freetranslation.com though, it appears to be much better (for Dutch at least :P )

(1) [n] light informal conversation for social occasions.  (chitchat, small_talk, gab, gabfest, gossip, tittle-tattle, chin-wag, chin-wagging, causerie)

edit:  Or maybe not.  freetranslation.com renders it as 

"On the way opgeduikeld.  Will fast further again go to prevent rubbish talk.".

Maybe it means they want to drop it off quickly so that no one speaks badly of them in the TB forum  :o

Me, I was only speaking badly of babel fish translation from altavista.com, which is exactly where the first person to attempt to translate it from got their translation from (I tried it with the same result). Thanks for the link to freetranslation.com though, it appears to be much better (for Dutch at least :P )

No, that wasn't directed at you, or anyone in particular -- just a reference to the frequent threads about missing bugs, and bugnappers. Maybe the guy is afraid of being the cause of any TB angst. :D

(Now I find that I like the expression "rubbish talk." I hope I will have occasion to use it.)

My frustration is the person who picks up a bug and places it in a cache with very high terrain rating, the type of cache that may get 3 to 5 visits  in a year, at best.

AMEN!

The first person to pick up one of my bugs put it in a 5-star-terrain cache which he has been the first and only one to visit so far. The bug had a tag saying "I want to travel." The cache is out along a highway that is closed during the winter. :o:P:D

I've been holding back from emailing the cacher and saying, in effect, "You idiot - what were you thinking?!!" If I can think of a more gentle way of saying this (with the intent being to advise him not to do this to a future TB), should I bother emailing him?

I'm thinking about setting up the "International Travel Bug Rescue League".  Basically, the premice - if it doesn't already exist - is to link TB owners with local Geocahers/GC Associations who might be able to rescue a TB which has been stranded in an infrequently visited cache or someone local might know the abducter in question (heck, you may have been the person who introduced them to the sport!) and can get the TB from them.  What do people think of that idea/concept?

Sign me up for the

Quebec/Eastern Ontario/Northern Vermont/North-Eastern New York area.

I do not belong to an association, as we do not have one in Quebec,

but I am really interested in helping with such a concept.

Why don't you start a new Thread about this?

While I agree with that suggestion (pretty darn good one at that) ..

On a separate note, I'm thinking about setting up the "International Travel Bug Rescue League".  Basically, the premice - if it doesn't already exist - is to link TB owners with local Geocahers/GC Associations who might be able to rescue a TB which has been stranded in an infrequently visited cache or someone local might know the abducter in question (heck, you may have been the person who introduced them to the sport!) and can get the TB from them.  What do people think of that idea/concept

Both good ideas. I hate to see TBs stranded just because a cacher didn't think. I have a Tb whos 1st move, and currently only move was to a 5 stage multi that no ones gone to for 2 months. Placing a Travel bug at a 5 terrain near a highway closed for the winter would earn a note from me. Gentle as it might be it would get the idea across! As for BUGNAPERS shoot 'em!

Travelbug Rescue International Posse ---Its an idea! TRIP

Edited by wiseye

While the concept is good, I'm not happy hearing the ideas of shooting someone or sending the goons after them or anything like that! Some people just don't even realize they have taken a travel bug. Let's please leave the thoughts or recommendations of violence of it. Don't give anyone any ideas please. This is a game.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Go out and find something. :P I know I will. :o

Cheminer Will, your idea might work, but only if everyone knew what a travel bug was or how they work. Or if they saw their kid take it, or if they dropped it or or or...........

A GPS will not help one navigate the web.

While I agree with that suggestion (pretty darn good one at that) and I think it would keep some travel bugs moving quicker, I still think that there are a good number of travel bugs that will still go awol.

RXZ

Yes, there are many reasons that TB's die. After asking many cachers and reading posts here, I'd guess that a fair percentage are for this reason. I have one dead TB which is now with the Hiking Cockroaches. They have not been responding to recent email asking for status of the TB. They have many TB's that they have moved on, but also have another they have possessed for over a year. Sometimes even well meaning cachers like these lose or misplace TB's before they move them on. If they did not get credit until they move them, I'll bet they would be more careful!

I have asked people why they don't own any TB's and the answer is usually along the lines of: "At $5.00 each, it's not worth it. Too many disappear". I bought 4 and gave three away. I'll probably put out a few more as I really like finding them myself, but if there is a way to make them live longer, I think TPTB should make a few changes.

:rolleyes: Sorry!, I didn't mean to suggest anyone actually go out and shoot anyone. My remark was meant to be taken tounge in cheek. I Guess in this world of PC I should have made myself clear on that point. It is a game and I don't condone violence in pursuing it. That said, I would request that anyone who knows a BUGNAPPER, PLEASE , for our sake and theirs, refere them to the FBI for inclusion in their 12 step program. The FBI is of course, the well known: FORMER BUGNAPPERS INC.

People sometimes do send out the duplicate tag with a replacement TB. Kind of hard when you start one on vacation like I did and its mission is to make it home across the country.

As a side note, I posted a note on one of the caches owned by the cachers that last had my missing TB and had not been responding to my emails. They replied that they did send it on, but did not keep track of what cache they placed it in. A change in the procedure by which you get credit for a TB, would help prevent that also.

Oh well, maybe it will show up someday.

Edited by Cheminer Will
People sometimes do send out the duplicate tag with a replacement TB.  Kind of hard when you start one on vacation like I did and its mission is to make it home across the country.

You could snail-mail the copy to the last GeoCacher who

properly found it and put it in the cache where it dissapeared,

so he could put it in another cache nearby.

Wondering what people out there have done when someone picks up a travel bug and then hangs on to it "forever". I have 3 travel bugs out there that have been in people's hands for everywhere from 1 month to going on 4 months.

Thoughts?

RXZ

I search through all of their posts and find other cachers that they have cached with or mention as knowing. I them Email all of the associate cachers and ask for their assistance in contacting the cacher holding my TB. I just got one of mine back a week ago or so using this method.

Also check and see if the person has ever attended an event and ask event goers if they met the person and know of a way to contact them.

Post notes on the caches the person owns and hopefully they will see your post and get back with you. You can include in the note that if anyone knows the cache owner to please help in getting your TB back traveling.

While I was on the rampage trying to get 3 of my TB back in circulation I checked on cachers that I knew to see if they were holding any or had any trapped in archived caches. At a meeting I proposed that we use peer pressure to keep each other caching as ethically as possible. Ironically a cache that was put together at the event has not been approved by the land manager yet and 4 TBs, a geocoin and a white Jeep are stranded in a box. The organizer has assured me that they will be released within a week if the approval does not come through.

GEO.JOE

I search through all of their posts and find other cachers that they have cached with or mention as knowing. I them Email all of the associate cachers and ask for their assistance in contacting the cacher holding my TB. I just got one of mine back a week ago or so using this method. Also check and see if the person has ever attended an event and ask event goers if they met the person and know of a way to contact them.

Post notes on the caches the person owns and hopefully they will see your post and get back with you. You can include in the note that if anyone knows the cache owner to please help in getting your TB back traveling.

What a great set of suggestions for tracking people down! I had never thought to check things like their logs - or even forum posts, for that matter - to see if they mention any ties or the like.

And the comment about using "peer pressure" to keep us all honest is 110% legit. I mean that is pretty much how this whole sport works, right? [:)]

I'm also going to start a separate trip for the Rescue project, whatever cool acronym we come up for it, so the idea stands out a little more. :mad:

RXZ

This is what I did for the cachers that appeared to be holding mine. Turns out they say they did put it in a cache, but did not log it and now don't remember the cache it was put in to!

Edited by Cheminer Will

Before I send a TB out into the world I photograph it and the TB tag front and back. When It gets lost I print out a wallet size of the original TB and the tag front and back. I then get the whole thing laminated and send it out again. One of my TB is going out for the 3rd time, The 1st was stolen, the second one got lost when a whole cache was plundered. 3rd times a charm?

If anyone has a TB that they need looking for or wants help in moving it along, try posting it in this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=114740

or looking at the map

http://www.frappr.com/internationaltravelbugrescueleague

to find a cacher close to where you believe the TB to be and send them a note.

Even better - volunteer to be a ITBRL member in your area.

RXZ