Heard About Geocaching On Twit Podcast

blackpanther

:lol: A newbie

Am looking for info on what GPS unit to buy.

Have looked at the Feature consideration for good geocaching GPS gear on the geocaching site.

Are there any recommendations of models I should be looking at?

Are there website or forums that list GPS for geacaching or are there some types you can recommend?

Love the outdoors, looking forward to finding my first cache.

It all depends on your planned use and budget. Nearly any handheld unit from Garmin, Magellan or Lowrance will work for geocaching.

If all you want to do is geocache, a you can find a unit for under $100 that will do the job (yellow eTrex, Magellan eXplorist 100, Lowrance iFinder Go). All are basic units.

Spending more money doesn't provide more accuracy, just more features. At minimum you should purchase a GPS that will hook up to your PC so you can dowload waypoints. Of the above mentioned units, only the yellow eTrex will do that, so the others may not be a good choice.

Some other good, basic units that allow for PC connectivity are the Garmin Geko 201 and Garmin GPS 60.

Going up a level gives you mapping. A very handy feature. The Garmin eTrex Legend is probably the most popular budget maping GPS (it runs around $130). The Lowrance iFinder H20 is also a good budget unit as the price has come down a lot since the color version was released. The H20 Plus package includes the mapping software in the price. Software adds about $100 to the cost for most other units.

Other popular units in this category are the Magellan Sportrak Map and Sportrak Pro.

Spend some more money and you get more map memory, color screens, USB connections, auto routing (turn by turn directions to a destination), electronic magnetic compasses and other nifty things. When you get into the more expensive units you'll find many uses for them beyond geocaching. Some popular units here are the Garmin Map 60, Map60C(s), Map 76C(s), Magellan Meridian series, Magellan eXplorist 500 and 600, Lowrance iFinder PHD and Hunt, and the Garmin Legend C and Vista C.

Hope this helps.

Thanks briansnat.

What are the advantages of having mapping?

Will this in help in my quest.

:lol:

Mapping puts maps right on your GPS so you don't have to fumble with paper maps and it will show your position on the map in real time.

There are basically 2 kinds of maps. Topo, which shows terrain detail and street maps. While topo will also show streets its main purpose is to tell you if there are hills, ravines, swamps, streams, cliffs etc... along your route. It is valuable for planning your approach if you are geocaching and is also helpful for hikers and other outdoorsmen.

The street detail is often not up to date on the topo maps.

Street mapping doesn't show terrain detail, but does have better detail for the roads. Its is usually pretty up to date. More advanced mapping sofware will give you turn by turn instructions to your destination (aka autorouting) which is an extremely helpful feature. Many of these mapping programs also include a database of millions of businesses and services, so if you want to know where the nearest restaurant (even by type), gas station, post office, hair salon, shopping mall, church, police station,

musem, hotel, etc... is your GPS will show it and if it supports autorouting, will guide you there.

Have looked on the web at different recievers.Have narrowed my choices down to three.

Garmin yellow eTrex - as suggested by Briansnat - price $300

Garmin GPS 60 - Price $500

or in my dreams the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS - price $1300

Should I buy the yellow eTrex which been around for 7 years or for am extra $200 buying the GPS60?

On garmins site it says that the gps60 is geocaching ready,what does this mean?

Thanks for the help Briansnat.

BlackPanther,

I have to admit when I first saw you saying that a yellow Etrex was $300 for example (when I've seen it for under $100) I was like "where is this person looking"? Then I saw your profile and realized that you are in New Zealand and I guess a NZ$ is valued different. <_<

I guess I was thinking like the stereotypical "ugly American" <_<

On garmins site it says that the gps60 is geocaching ready,what does this mean?

They are all geocaching ready. I believe that is a reference to the geocaching mode that the 60 series has. Its a nice to have feature, but not critical. It just keeps geocaches in their own bucket and as you find a cache, youl mark it found, and it automatically goes intoo a found caches bucket and asks you if you want to go to the next closest cache.

Here's a short description of "Geocaching Mode from The 60C/76C FAQ site.

Geocaching mode is really just a special way of sorting and keeping track of waypoints. If you load a waypoint with a Geocaching symbol (by default, a closed treasure chest), then that waypoint will appear when you press FIND » 'Geocache' » ENTR. Pressing these keys lists geocache waypoints you have loaded. (By pressing MENU, you can select 'Find by Name' to show all Geocaches in alphabetical order, or 'Find Nearest' to show the nearest 50 Geocaches.) If you select a geocache, and then press 'Goto', the compass page appears, with a special menu at the bottom, showing 'Found', 'Note', and 'Stop'. You can proceed to the cache, and when found, press the 'Found' button. The GPSr will note your find on the GPS calendar, change the symbol to 'found Geocache' (by default, an open treasure chest) and ask if you would like to find the next nearest cache. Pressing the 'Note' button displays the note entered for the waypoint at the top of the screen. The key then changes to 'Data'. Pressing 'Data' restores the compass screen.

The Twit Podcast also directed me here! I'm still trying to talk my wife into buying me a GPS, but we've been doing some "Google Caching" with my nephews and it's a real blast! We just use Google Maps to give us a good idea of where to look and then we hit the road. We've found 6 out of 7 this way and it's convinced me that I definitely want to buy a GPS and do this more. I'm amazed at how accurate Google maps is. Their little marker has been spot on EVERY time. The only one we couldn't find didn't have many landmarks near it. We canvassed the area with 4 sets of eyes for half an hour but couldn't find it. We'll get that bugger as soon as we get a GPSr.

FSWquatch

What type of GPS receiver are you thinking of buying?

Hairymon

NZ dollar is about 69c per US $1.00

eTrex Price on ebay $88.00 US

Retail price in New Zealand $298.00 NZ

Looks like we are getting ripped off, should retail for about $140.00 in New Zealand.

What are your thoughts?

:mad:

Edited by blackpanther
FSWquatch

Hairymon

eTrex  Price on ebay $88.00 US

Looks like we are getting ripped off, should retail for about $140.00 in New Zealand.

What are your thoughts?

Wow you are getting ripped off. Perhaps you can look for a used, basic unit locally to get started. I'm sure there is a local geocaching orgainzation's website where you can inquire about obtaining a used unit.

If you really get into it and want a higher end unit, perhaps you have friends in the US who can buy one and ship it to you. Even after paying any duty and tax you could save a lot of money. I did this for a European geocacher last year and he saved a good deal of money by doing so.

Edited by briansnat

Briansnat

Still trying to find other outlets that selling gps units.

What type of outlets should I be looking for ?

I can alway buy from ebay and wait for a few weeks for delivery.

We have a auction site in new zealand called trademe.co.nz and has the GPS60cs for around $860.00 NZ , $500.00 cheaper than dick smith(retail store)I'll just keep looking around for a few days.

FLooks like we are getting ripped off, should retail for about $140.00 in New Zealand.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are: you're getting ripped off.

I've often thought if I were a cleverer sort of person, I could travel the world on gray market electronics. I go to Britain a few times a year, and the rule of thumb is that they pay roughly double what we do for everything. It's not just American companies sticking it to them, either. They pay double for stuff from the Continent and Japan, too. It's only Chinese goods where we're closer to parity.

I travel laden with Levi's and MP3 players.

The problem with buying stuff here and using it there is the warranty. And, in the case of your GPS, the basemaps.

Briansnat

Still trying to find other outlets that selling gps units.

What type of outlets should I be looking for ?

I can alway buy from ebay and wait for a few weeks for delivery.

We have a auction site in new zealand called trademe.co.nz and has the GPS60cs for around $860.00 NZ , $500.00 cheaper than dick smith(retail store)I'll just keep looking around for a few days.

I guess the ideal outlet would be one in the US that ships abroad. I know Amazon doesn't.

Ebay of course is another option, but I'm very leery shelling a lot of money out for something on Ebay because of the chance of running into a dishonest seller.

That price for the 60CS is more in the ballpark. In the US it can be found from $350 to $450, though around $400 seems to be most common.

Be sure you have NZ basemaps on the unit though. If you lived in an area where Garmin offered mapping software, base maps wouldn't be that much of an issue, but I don't see any mapping products for NZ

Edited by briansnat

My advice, especially at those prices, would be to start with a $100 (US!) unit and see if geocaching is really for you. I found my first 280 caches with a Garmin Geko 201 which has no mapping and is the size of a (recent) mobile phone. Everything else is "nice to have" but not necessary.

A used unit from eBay might also be a good idea. A GPS either works or it doesn't, so as long as it's in working order, even a unit you pick up for $50 US will do. Just make sure it can do three decimal places for the minutes - every model dated after about 2001 can, though.

Black Panther, my thought (which others have said before this) is that unless there's some law that doesn't allow it (i.e. you have to pay some tariff or something before it's shipped to you), maybe just buy it on eBay (PayPal usually converts currency quite well) if the seller has OK'd shipping to New Zealand since it sounds like it will still be cheaper. I am assuming that a US Etrex gives the option of showing everything in metric numbers for non-US use, but I'm not sure. I'm sure an Etrex expert like briansnat or someone will know that, though he correctly pointed out the basemap issue if having a map on there is importan.

Edited by hairymon
FSWquatch

Hairymon

eTrex  Price on ebay $88.00 US

What are your thoughts?

:mmraspberry:

I paid US$80 for a Yellow E-Trex at Aldi. It was one of those one-time only items, but that was the new version (with WAAS), in the factory packaging, with full factory warrantee. I gave my old one to my girlfriend for her birthday.

I might be a stickler, but after finding this deal, I think even US$88 is too much.

I did just notice someone in Australia is selling a used one on Ebay for AU$75 opening bid. That might be worth looking into.

I also noticed an Ebay listing stating that an Etrex will float. I know from experience they only float after taking the batteries out...

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

I see that Amozon has the GPS60C for $313 US free shipping.

I will got it shipped to someone in the US and they can ship it over to me.

All up cost around $500 NZ.Alot better than $1200 NZ retail price , just have to wait abit longer.

Has anyone tried open source map for GSP. http://gwprojects.orcon.net.nz/gps/

Printed a few caches off and going looking from maps.It will have to do till I get my GPS.

:)

I am a little late to chime in on this thread, but ...

I have heard that going to shops in NZ and buying GPSrs retail is _damn_ expensive. For reasons unknown, the prices that he is quoting are real. Why? Who knows. Protectionism?

I would find an online retailer who could ship to NZ. That, or get a friend in the US who will relay ship (US retail -> US residence -> NZ residence).

Cheers!

Hi Blackpanther,

Like you I looked at the NZ retail prices when first starting this little *cough*addiction*cough* sport a few years ago and thought an etrex Legend looked sweet but at the time $NZ700 was waaay too much!

I ended up getting one at $NZ300 via Ebay. Now, NZers can pick up a new unit (Old Yeller, Legend, 60CS, wtc) on trademe.co.nz or go direct to one of the 'net-based traders that sell internationally.

There's heaps of discussion on this at www.gps.org.nz/forums. :ninja:

Cheers,

G.

Hi Blackpanther. I too live in Christchurch, NZ. I'm a parallel importer of Garmin handheld and marine units + all that attaches to or loads into them. A new eTrex yellow for example is NZ $180. Some stock is on my Trade Me list.

The NZ GPS forum has some helpful articles - this one is about Buying a GPS and has helpful tips for buying your own from overseas.

Forget the basemap issue - even the so-called Pacific base map is useless anyway - far better to use some of the sevveral hundred dollars saved over retail and invest in one of the extremely good privately produced Garmin compatible maps - from street and auto-routing to topo.

All the models can be easily configured for NZ with respect to units, map datum and position format.

A free source of NZ street maps is here: gwprojects.orcon.net.nz/gps/GPS thanks to Graeme.

Commercial grade (street searchable, auto-routing & Topo) maps are here: www.nzgpsmaps.com.

Kiwilegends NZ Topo maps are available from me. I'll contact you via your profile - Tony.

Edited by kiwitonita

Any problems with Graemes Open Source? No, they are very, very good. I load them to every mapping unit I sell + when making BlueChart data cards. Can supply a Map 60C tomorrow, loaded with the street maps + a sample of Topo to whet your interest :ninja: Price is NZ$650 & includes batteries and a CD with the latest MapSource update, the Open Project maps, the Aussie4Tracks maps and a handy collection of other stuff including EasyGPS, GPS Utility, xImage, nRoute, user guides and instruction manuals. Did I mention that Open Project maps are very, very good?

kiwitonita

am looking for a garlin 60c , can you give me a price , found open source maps so saving at least $165.00.As in your post.are these reliable ?(any problems with open source maps ?

:ninja: It really depends upon what you want to do with the GPS and loaded maps - you get what you pay for in this life - that includes features and up to date data.

I suppose you could import your own 60c from someone like www.gpsdiscount.com for about NZ$550 - which might leave you some $ towards buying auto-routing maps etc :ninja:

Brent

www.nzgpsmaps.com

Edited by brentc
IF I buy a gpsr from the US will I get the correct base map ?

No - GPS units sourced from the States will have the US Basemap. Both my Legend and GPS Map60 orginated from the States and have no dramas here in NZ - the local maps just sit over the top of them.

The US basemap (of the USA) is quite good and usable, though it doesn't go down to street level detail. Could be useful if you score a trip to the States at some stage!

If you did get a GPS from NZ which came through the local distributer (i.e. buy from DSE) then you get the Pacific basemap which includes NZ, Australia and some of Asia. It contains a few main roads and thats it - not very useful and not worth the premium of forking out a couple of hundred $$$ for an 'official' NZ unit.

Cheers,

G

Edited by GraemeWi