Just Musing....

Freud believed SEX was the most important aspect of life to pay attention to because it INSURED the continuation of the species. All human behaviour was according to unconscious sexual desires ;) which are usually repressed and generally arose in childhood. Jung believed RELIGION was most important, Jung sought to understand psychology through the study of the humanities, namely the world of dream, myth, and psychopathology, and later even flying saucers.

While Freud emphasized the physical/animal nature as the primal driving force, Jung looked to the spiritual self. It was the spiritual self, and drives arising from it, that created humankind’s need to grow, experiment, and to achieve higher levels of purpose and development, whereas Freud theory simply focused on the need to fulfil the sexual desired of the ID (2nd stage in personality).

So basically, Freud would interpret the desire to geo-cache as a sexual desire… :huh: possibly a traumatic event ;) in childhood with an ammo box has been repressed through a form of defence and to deal with the traumatic event with the ammo box geo-cachers have embraced the fear and used it as a weapon against the unconscious, and now love ammo boxes.

Jung on the other hand would explain geo-caching in terms of your innate spiritual desire to learn and develop, to experience new events and grow as a human being. He may explain a geo-cache as a “Synchronicities” these are people, places or events that your soul attracts into your life - to help you evolve or to place emphasis on something going on in your life. It can be an event that touches your soul AND it is even more important if you dreamt about geo-caching before you got into it, like a deja-vu, kind of preparing you for the event.

Hope that clarifies things.

Mrs B

I once spent two days in the clutches of psychologists and psychiatrists. No sense of humour and mad as a box of frogs the lot of them. (I may add I wasn't as barking as I am now, it was a selection process for a job I did for ten years.)

Present company (if there are any psychologists/psychiatrists reading this) excepted.

How many psychologists does it take to change the batteries in an eTrex?

Just one - but the batteries have to truly want to change and be prepared to engage in what we might call the process of change while working together in an atmosphere of mutual respect and tolerance

Simple Sanity Test

Do you prefer

A.. Black Forest Gateaux and Cash

B.. a Cache in the Black Forest

You have two AA batteries left. Do they go

A .. in your 'adult' toy

B .. your Garmin

Faced by an impenetrable bank of nettles do you

A .. Summon the USAF and use napalm

B .. Strip off and wade in to retrieve the box

Your partner suggests a cuddly evening on the sheepskin rug by the open fire. You ..

A .. Select an appropriate DVD for the widescreen tele

B .. Select the correct mapping CD for the GPS

You win £500 on your premium bonds. Your partner suggests a weekend in Venice.

A .. You pack your Garmin just in case

B .. You say you've spent the money already on a new Palm with GPS

The children need to get out.

A .. You take them down the park for football

B .. You tell them there's a new football in the cache on Ben Nevis and to get their ski jackets ready

You find an empty tupperware box in the middle of nowhere

A .. You pick it up, take it home and then to plastic recycling at the local dump

B .. You scream and fulminate about muggles followed by a day's posting on forums

If you answer all (a) then you need Help

........possibly a traumatic event  :lol: in childhood with an ammo box has been repressed through a form of defence and to deal with the traumatic event with the ammo box geo-cachers have embraced the fear and used it as a weapon against the unconscious, and now love ammo boxes.

So what you are saying, that many years ago in my early military career, and my Troop Sergeant clobbered me about the head with an ammo box, is the reason I go out cachig today??

I don't think I hate him anymore?

There again it may be my mothers fault for all of those spam sandwhiches in a tupperware container? puke.gif

Forgive / Forget, Forgive / Forget,

Nope can't bring myself to do it!!

Freud believed SEX was the most important aspect of life ........[edited to shorten]

Jung on the other hand would explain geo-caching in terms of your innate spiritual desire to learn and develop, to experience new events and grow as a human....[edited to shorten]

Hope that clarifies things.

Mrs B

Yes it does. Thanks.

Now I know why I opted for experimental psychology instead at university. :lol:

Edited by Firth of Forth

....Pulling this thread back onto Geocaching ....

At lunchtime (while I was investigating the contents of my plastic lunchbox, someone told me that "....Anyone planning to climb up a Welsh hillside in the snow to place a small white toy jeep in a geocache under a pile of rocks needs their head examined."

I've already made the appointment.

Mrs B :o smiling inanely

Well,......... you have enlisted the use of the Emergency Services once before by being in a remote region in difficulties. We all see the photo Mrs B! So is this a sane move? or are we, that's you... banking on the term that 'lightning never strikes the same place twice' :o