I Need The Secret Surveyor Code!

Photobuff

I have left that sort of trail a couple of times. Well, maybe not that bad, but I HAVE dug up quite a bit of area at a few locations. At one I returned with larger and larger shovels. It turned out that the mark was gone and the stem remained but I hadn't seen that earlier as the dark railroad dirt had hidden it. That was persistence, but I have relied on dumb luck too and sometimes good research, to help me locate a mark, or convince me it no longer exists.

Yep, it is an addiction! When my gut tells me that I should find it, I keep returning and looking. There are a few more in my area that will get revisited in the spring when weeds are down and the snow is gone. One will get its fourth visit by me, a couple others only the third or second. Only when I am certain I have given everything I have will I report it as not found.

...snip...Let's say a road or rail is, in general, heading east. But, at the particular location in question, it has to make a ninety degree turn to go around some obstacle. Did they really go by the general direction in writing the description, or did they use the "local" compass heading.

...snip...

It can actually be WORSE than that for railroad - in general, a railroad will declare a certain terminus "NORTH" or "EAST" (depending on the railroad), and you can have lines that start NORTH of the "NORTH" point that actually run south, be declared as running NORTH (like I said, don't ask)

And yeah - in general it's a "general direction" - for instance, here on Long Island, there is the Oyster Bay branch on the LIRR - the first, oh, 30% runs north and sourth, but it's "railroad" east and west