What Gps Receiver Unit To Get?

Karlz

Hi All -

I'm new to Geocashing and LOVIN' it! Ok, well I went on my first cache and never found it, but anyways... ;)

I'm using my Treo 650 with Tomtom Bluetooth unit. I don't think it is really the best way for me to go. I am checking into all-in-one units and I definately need some help in selecting....

Looks like the Etrex Vista C seems to be a good unit, but I can't tell. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Karl

www.justsayok.net

Does that unit have street level maps? Do you download maps into it - yada yada yada - it's not cheap so can you give me some meat on it? ;) Can you download .loc data right into it?

Thanks for the info!!

Karlz

www.justsayok.net

Edited by Karlz

Street level maps are extra, as they are for most units. City Select North America ver 7 runs about $100 from on-line retailers. You can download up to 24MB of map data at any one time. That covers a huge area or most of your town, depending upon the density of roads, points of interest, etc. in the area you are looking at. I have a 60C, which holds 56MB, and can get the triangle bounded by Houston, San Antonio and central Dallas in my unit.

You can download .loc files to your computer, and open them with EasyGPS software (free) or GSAK software (free to try, $20 to avoid the nag screen after 21 days). These programs will then let you upload the data to the GPSr.

EasyGPS doesn't know there is such a unit as a Legend C, so you have to lie to it and tell it that you are using a 60C. The firmware for the two units are the same, so it works fine.

I tell everyone the better value is the Legend C. Compared to the Vista C, it lacks the electronic compass and altimeter. But, it has same memory capacity, longer battery life, and is more affordable.

The thing with the electronic compass (I have a Vista) is the unit can point in the right direction at a standstill (but you have to calibrate the compass everytime you put in new batteries.) Otherwise, you gotta be on the move for the compass arrow to point in the right direction. The Altimeter is more of a conversation piece - climbers would want a more accurate meter.

I also recommend the navigation kit that includes the software, DC adapter, and two auto mounting adapters, a windshield suction-type adapter, and a sandbag dashtop adapter.

Karlz, you can't download .loc files directly into a GPS. You need software. GSAK is awesome, but for newbies I highly recommend you start off with EasyGPS (I did) which is a much more user-friendly program; or, if you have Garmin's MapSource software, you can use that software to download .loc files. That also is a very user-friendly.

Hi All -

I'm new to Geocashing and LOVIN' it! Ok, well I went on my first cache and never found it, but anyways... ;)

I'm using my Treo 650 with Tomtom Bluetooth unit. I don't think it is really the best way for me to go. I am checking into all-in-one units and I definately need some help in selecting....

Looks like the Etrex Vista C seems to be a good unit, but I can't tell. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Karl

www.justsayok.net

A freind of mine is using the same set up (Treo 650 with Tomtom Bluetooth unit) and he swears by it.

Street level maps are extra, as they are for most units.

As Gozz notes, the Garmin V comes with City Select maps. It used to be their top-of-the line unit. It is a gray-scale unit but lots of users swear by it, and it is a real bargin. I haven't seen prices below about $240 or so, but even at that price it is a great buy.

All good info my fellow cachers....I thank you...

I actually just found a cache that was listed TODAY that is literally walking distance to my office. I am getting ready to go now, with my existing equipment for what should be my FIRST FIND! WAHOO! I'll let ya all know how it goes! Hey - is there a place to post notes, photos on the find - or is that on Geocacher.com itself? Can you tell I'm STOKED!

Go here to compare GPS V to other Garmin products.

But check each unit's specs!

For example the chart estimates the Legend's battery life at 36hrs; 25 for the GPS V, but it doesn't state the the GPS V takes 4 AAs to the Legend's 2AA!

Neither the specs nor the chart reveal re-drawing times; that is, how long it takes the unit to calculate/recalculate a route or reposition the map on your screen when you make a turn. I stongly suspect the Legend C redraws quicker.

Of course, there's the color; quite a striking difference. The GPS V will save you about $100.

If you want a hand held stand alone gps look at the Magellan explorist 210, it has more to offer than any other GPS in it's price range, I uderstand amazon.com has them for $150.00, Sports authority has them for $179.00.

But like I said earlier. the set you are using is going to work just fine and there is no real need to buy a seperate GPS unless you just want to spend the extra money. You would be better of buying some good rain gear or boots to wear while geocaching in the winter.

The thing with the electronic compass (I have a Vista) is the unit can point in the right direction at a standstill (but you have to calibrate the compass everytime you put in new batteries.) Otherwise, you gotta be on the move for the compass arrow to point in the right direction. The Altimeter is more of a conversation piece - climbers would want a more accurate meter.

I am getting ready to upgrade my GPS. I have narrowed my search to either the Garmin 60C or the Garmin 60CS. My question is: Should I spend the extra money on the 60CS just because of the compass & altimeter features? Will I really use them that much? Maybe the compass but I don't think I would use the altimeter very much at all. Maybe I just answered my own question. :lol: .

I was also looking at the Legend C but was thinking I should go for the more memory of the 60C.

Any thoughts.

Edited by Jimbogeo Team

I would say no. Everything I have owned (6 years) has had a mag compass. Lately I have been leaving it off to see if it really matters. Based on this testing, It does not really matter.

It is usefull if you are hiking or similar and are trying to sigh ton a peak for map location and such, but for caching there is little benefit.