Coin Makers - Full Disclosure

Renegade Knight

More and more I'm seeing Limited Edition Coins pop up out of the wood work. That's fine, but tell us coin buyers (who make your LE coins possible by paying part of your die fees) up front.

The last thing I want is to feel good about buying your coin only to find that you neglected to tell me that in addition to your 300 Bronze you made 20 Silver on the side. It's cheezy if you don't tell people your intentions up front.

Say what you are doing, up front and nobody gets a suprise. It's annoying to find that your trade isn't worth jack because everone is holding out for the LE coins.

Full disclosure, it's not just a good idea, it's good business.

This rant does not apply to those of you who finance your own coin out of pocket and don't sell them. You can do what you want and more power to you.

More and more I'm seeing Limited Edition Coins pop up out of the wood work.  That's fine, but tell us coin buyers (who make your LE coins possible by paying part of your die fees) up front.

The last thing I want is to feel good about buying your coin only to find that you neglected to tell me that in addition to your 300 Bronze you made 20 Silver on the side.  It's cheezy if you don't tell people your intentions up front.

Say what you are doing, up front and nobody gets a suprise.  It's annoying to find that your trade isn't worth jack because everone is holding out for the LE coins.

Full disclosure, it's not just a good idea, it's good business.

This rant does not apply to those of you who finance your own coin out of pocket and don't sell them.  You can do what you want and more power to you.

Some people get "surprizes" from the coin companys too. A coin made from one of the companys sent several extras as gifts and they were in another metal. I do agree with you though. I have herd people trading good coins for what they thought was a good trade and then ended up finding out there was a LE involved.

Edited by Ladycacher & Boys
I took a bit of flak for not increasing the size of the coin order for the New York coins after we sold out so quickly. We had listed that there would only be 1000 coins minted, therefore we felt it would be unethical to increase the size of the order after the pre-sales were done.

And my hat is off to you for doing that. Unfortunatley, there have been a few instances of coins that were not handled the same way. If there are several thousand of a coin minted, then I may buy just 1 for my collection. If there are only 500 made, I will buy what they allow, in order to get trade material. I hate it if I make a 5-10 piece purchase, only to find out the run has been extended to allow more people in.

Just my 2 cents.

We are not professionals at this stuff (most of us anyway) and I really don't think a lot of nit picking about this stuff is called for. If someone is hidding their intentions to make a limited edition coin purposefully for shady purposes, that's one thing. However, if we've got to start having our offerings reviewed buy lawyers to avoid the whinning, that's quite another.

I think this is my fault! :huh:

I did 580 San Francisco coins. When the California coin came out they ended up with I think, 10 coins that had red numbering and tossed them in the hat. I thought that was a kind of cool think.

I asked my manufacturer if they could make me a few silver coins. The answer was yes, so I converted 30 coins to silver color (nickel actually). Then posted on the web updates that I had done so and would put 10-15 in the mix at random.

I did not offer them up for sale. I have had one or two people contact me about trading for them.

It is so odd, I did this because I thought it would make it more fun, not upset anyone.

Oh well . . . . . . . . . just can't stay out of trouble javascript:emoticon(';)')

smilie

When I have my memorial coins made, there will be around 50-60 LE ones and 25 of those will go to my family, with some being donated to the WSGA, a few to some specific people and the rest placed at will. The standard coins will be for sale or trade and get placed in caches as well - 15 of the LE coins will have the same number, those won't be traded ( by me or sold and one will find it's way to Cold Lake in Alberta - when the coins are minted , I'll explain why.

The LE coins won't be for sale but will be placed in special caches and meant for people to keep. The idea from the beginning was to let everyone know up front anyway just to avoid questions when the inevitable trading starts.

;)

After reading these comments and and some emails it's clear that things are not always cut and dry.

All you anyone can do is be up front about your intent and if something nice should happen like the company kicks in some more coins a follow up wouldn't hurt. Like Beefcider said, there will be questions when the trading starts.

Look at the Georgia Peach. A PayPal SNAFU happened and more of the peach were sold than anticipated. Not yet knowing how many more a trading frenzy broke out and some people traded multiple coins for a Peach. By the time the smoke cleared the Peach was still rare but some of the coins traded in multiples were rarer still.

I'll chime in here not because I feel the need to defend any action that I've taken, but to add a different perspective.

For the 1st Ed. Canine Coin, we did 500 in polished nickel and 10 in bronze as a 'special coin' meant to have special purposes. This was funded out of pocket as these were my coins to keep.

These coins were used for a couple of purposes:

1) As a special 'thank-you' gift to a couple of the large coin buying group heads :rolleyes:

2) As a special gift to a few caching friends who have recently lost thier buddies :D

3) 1 that will go on that bidding place for charity

4) 1 or 2 as local FTF prizes (must post pic with dog or they will be hunted down and confiscated <_< )

In this case, the coin manufacturer accidentally sent the 10 special coins in the wrong metal so I ended up with 10 in antique silver as well.

The intent of these coins was never to be 'trade bait' but to be a special reward for a few friends who would be pleasantly surprised.

I would hope in this case that nobody thinks otherwise and that my reputation would stand on it's own merit here (not that I felt this was directed at me, mind you).

For the 1st Ed. Canine Coin, we did 500 in polished nickel and 10 in bronze as a 'special coin' meant to have special purposes. This was funded out of pocket as these were my coins to keep.

I think that if you paid for the limited coins from your own pocket that is perfectly fine. If you go through the process of making a coin and mail them all out to people why shouldn't you treat yourself to something that can be used as trade bait or for other purposes?

...For the 1st Ed. Canine Coin, we did 500 in polished nickel and 10 in bronze as a 'special coin' meant to have special purposes. This was funded out of pocket as these were my coins to keep....

For the coins I'm working on (spring release) I've called out 10-20 for cache purposes. While those will be paid for out of pocket, the people buying the 100-300 of the other metal will have paid for a large share of the die fee, art etc, and will help me drive the cost down to where I can actually afford the 10-20.

A lot of people will do the special purpose coins, for giving away, charity what have you. That's fair. But it does impact the other 500 coins you made and the 100-300 I'm planning on and so on. Being upfront about it is key.

When the California coin came out they ended up with I think, 10 coins that had red numbering and tossed them in the hat. I thought that was a kind of cool think.

Some times the manufacturer screws up. the red numbered coins were a screw up from the manufacturer so i checked all of the coins from the second batch and counted up the screw ups. rather than trash them i tossed them in and mixed up the whole batch.

the only reason there was 2 orders (1250 and 755) is the amount of intial money required to make them so i split the ordering phases...always intended on the amount of coins to equal the year made.

I guess I'm just not seeing how the 10 coins that are being given to people or placed in special caches are going to affect other people (though it wouldn't be the first time I was dense on an issue!). If these coins are going to specific people, I highly doubt they'll be using them to trade, (how dare them if they do! :D ) But I don't see how those coins are going to have an impact on what people are trading the other ones for. If you are going to get a trade out of the big lot, it's not going to be for something that only having a LE will get you and vice versa, so it's kinda apples and oranges. I think? I could see not telling people because you'd want to surprise them with something special, nothing more.

But it does impact the other 500 coins you made and the 100-300 I'm planning on and so on. Being upfront about it is key.

To play devil's advocate here - to what extent do we need to carry this out though?

Let's say a local group is doing a coin and 300 coins are produced for them in X metal. In conjunction, each member of that group receives 1 coin in Y metal for being a member of that group.

When it comes time to trade a coin in metal X do they need to tell the person that they are trading with that they also have a coin in metal Y?

What about things like the Geobash coin where 100 brass/copper were made for helpers? I don't think that was made public was it?

Not trying to be antogonistic, just bubbling up some other nuances worth discussing if we're going down this path.

...To play devil's advocate here - to what extent do we need to carry this out though?

Let's say a local group is doing a coin and 300 coins are produced for them in X metal. In conjunction, each member of that group receives 1 coin in Y metal for being a member of that group.

When it comes time to trade a coin in metal X do they need to tell the person that they are trading with that they also have a coin in metal Y?

What about things like the Geobash coin where 100 brass/copper were made for helpers? I don't think that was made public was it?....

When organizations make coins you can bet collectability comes up as part of the discussion. Because of that they should be open if they are making 1000 in Bronze for everone and 100 in Brass for helpers only. I don't know any details on the geobash but if an event happens and all the coins are sold at the event and they give some of a different metal to the helpers the people at the event should have been told about the helper coins.

As far as trades go that's another thing. If you and I agree to trade two coins and we are happy with that, that's good enough. If later I find out that your coin was one of 300 and later that coin maker does another 300 thinking that a change in metal makes it ok. I'm not going to be happy but that's not your fault.

I guess the question comes down to -- if you knew this then would you not buy them? What's the need to know for? I'm just not seeing the harm, and worry that what has started out as a fun hobby is going to become riddled with do's and don'ts and rules and such, thus zapping the fun out of the game (of coin collecting).

I guess the question comes down to -- if you knew this then would you not buy them? What's the need to know for? I'm just not seeing the harm, and worry that what has started out as a fun hobby is going to become riddled with do's and don'ts and rules and such, thus zapping the fun out of the game (of coin collecting).

Being up front and honest is good policy. There is no reason that should suck the fun out of making coins. But if it does, what higher purpose would be served by hiding what you are doing with the entire coin issue from your buyers? There is an issue of trust involved.

I guess I'm just on a different orbit. I think that the difference lies in your intentions with the LE coins. If you're planning on making them available and selling them, then absolutely, they should be disclosed. If there for your private use as "gifts", then I think the surprise element for those who will be receiving them is nice. Kealia can probably explain better than me though, we were just discussing this and boiled it down to the sell factor (I think!)

I don't know.

I don't see anything dishonest about it, but, then again, I guess I didn't fully disclose. :D

When we listed the Screw Coins, we stated there were going to be 900 regulars, and 50 silvers for sale.

Now, if I saw that posted, and knowing the minimum number of tracking numbers to purchase and receive a custom icon is 1000, I would make the assumption that there were an additional 50 coins being held back.

I didn't feel the need to disclose what breakdown there was, since we weren't selling them at the time, but, I offer aplogies to anyone I offended.

I did list all of the breakdown on the older thread about "How Many Were Made?"

I was talking with the minter about the delivery of the screw coins today, and was informed that TPTB have indeed created a set of guidelines for coin tracking.

That should help clear up many of the issues we have been discussing here. It is not my place to disclose what I heard, but some of the decisions surprised me.

I can't wait to see some of those issues discussed. :rolleyes:

For us, we kept the number of coins to what has been posted. The *only* thing to bring up is we did have samples made to make sure it was what we wanted. The samples have something like, MCXXX or such as the tracking number.

So, outside of samples, we did not run anymore coins then posted.

Regards,

nielsenc

This is all beyond me. I forked over for my own coins cuz I don't feel right about getting someone else to subsidize my personal coin. Like LFD I'm not out to collect every variation of every coin so it doesn't bother me too much if someone had some LE coins made too. If a collector is intent on trying to acquire one of every coin out there then I can see where they might be a bit miffed but for the average collector here I don't think it will matter one way or the other.

I'll just add:

- Being up-front is a good way to prevent misunderstandings.

- If a seller says that x number of coins will be produced, they do have a responsibility to stick to that if they can. Of course things can happen but changing the mintage after money has changed hands is not something that should be done casually.

- If a seller conceals information to create some sort of personal gain, it's that intent that is the problem. And it's not a good thing.

There were six gold EU coins made. 0911 was given to the NY geocaching association and 0003 was recently used for a good cause. Better not use the "C" word on here but $950 was raised by doing a draw for the coin and not putting it in ebay.

Now that we can't mention the "C" word, I might just put the other four gold ones on Ebay and buy beer with the proceeds. :D:rolleyes:

Well I like to have as many of the metal varieties of a certain coin available when they're reasonably attainable.

I don't see any problem with not announcing a limited edition run in another metal. A limited edition is just that and doesn't/shouldn't effect the regular coin run at all. From a collector's standpoint, it's a different coin altogether.

The only problem I would see is if the same coin was reminted in the same metal, and you purchased/traded at a higher rate thinking that there were only a certain amount produced. A good example is the TX Autumn coin. There were only supposed to be 300, but somehow there ended up being 500. I'm sure some folks who were able to purchase early on thinking there were only 300 were not too happy to find out there were 500 in the end.

...I forked over for my own coins...If a collector is intent on trying to acquire one of every coin out there then I can see where they might be a bit miffed but for the average collector here I don't think it will matter one way or the other.

When you make your own coin, nobody else is involved. You can make any number of any kinds of coin. If you were to start trading then it helps other collectors to know that you made 100 Regular and 10 LE's. As opposed to 2000 and trading for Rare coins only.

It does matter to the average colletor. Some will collect them all, some just LE's, others whichever of the two looks best, and some regulars, and most what they can get their hands on. An issue of 100 coins and 10 LE's isn't quite as scarce as 100 only.

The Sample coin was another angle I didn't think of. If it doesn't have tracking numbers on it, and the other 1000 do...It's an LE by default since it's different from all the rest. If it's identical then the issue is really 1001 coins.

When organizations make coins you can bet collectability comes up as part of the discussion. Because of that they should be open if they are making 1000 in Bronze for everone and 100 in Brass for helpers only. I don't know any details on the geobash but if an event happens and all the coins are sold at the event and they give some of a different metal to the helpers the people at the event should have been told about the helper coins.

Playing the devil’s advocate myself I wonder how you’d feel if I minted 1000 coins to be sold for an event like the Geobash and had an additional 50 coins made to give to the volunteers, however I kept it a secret so I could surprise the volunteers how gave up their time and energy to plan the event with no thought of reward. To disclose it upfront like you’ve asked would have ruined the intent of the gift. Now once the coins were given out and a full disclosure was made would you feel cheated?

What if those 10 are also numbered different? Thus not changing that you have 1 of 500.

I feel the same way rec, but I think I'm not thinking about trading issues, as I'm assuming that those few people who end up with one of those 10 (or 50) would never think of trading, so it's a non issue, they're never "up for trade".

RK-

I still don't see how a coin minted in 500 brass and then 100 Silver later on (as an example) effect one another. Although they may share the same artwork, they are two separate coins, each with their own perceived value based on availability. Care to illustrate how you come to a different conclusion for me, cause I'm having a hard time seeing your point of view on this. Thanks.

I didn't feel the need to disclose what breakdown there was, since we weren't selling them at the time, but, I offer aplogies to anyone I offended.

I was offended... oh wait.... I forgot, I already know about that.

On my f0t0m0m coins, since they are not for sale... I do not feel I had the need to tell anyone what I was doing with any limited versions.

On other coins, as long as the information that is given is accurate, I do not care that there are other variations that are not published.

The only times that I have been unhappy with production numbers is when I have purchased mine, with the knowledge that there will be XXX made, and then due to demand they decide to increase the run to YYY, diluting the value of the coins I just purchased. This has happened a couple of times now.

Not to speak for RK, but I think the answer is that an increasing number of collectors don't care to acquire the many metal variations that are so commonplace now, and if they're collecting just one of the coin they would prefer the more limited one.

Under that scenario, they see a coin for sale, say a bronze, and purchase it. Later, when the special limited deeeeeeeluxe silver version is revealed, they say "Dang, I would not have bought this bronze if I knew the silver was coming out."

I don't think that this should be made into a big deal. I do think that coin sellers should be aware that some collectors are concerned about things like re-mintings (e.g. California), unexpectedly expanded mintings (e.g. TX Autumn), and that people might be trying to take advantage with releasing "limited" versions later and such.

I generally agree with most people on this thread that full disclosure is a good idea, and it demonstrates courtesy and good taste.

I'll play Devil's Advocate and mention a potential benefit for "surprise disclosure":

Checks and balances against eBay speculators. ;)

In a way, it's nice to see the coin makers control a bit of their own fate. Of course, they'll be held accountable for their actions. :)

Edited by budd-rdc
RK-

I still don't see how a coin minted in 500 brass and then 100 Silver later on (as an example) effect one another. Although they may share the same artwork, they are two separate coins, each with their own perceived value based on availability...

I think we have two trains of thought on the topic. The thread is about saying up front you will make 500 of say bronze, and 100 silver LE. Instead of people finding out later that you did the 100LE.

Most people make LE coins using the same die but a different metal. 500 Bronze, 100 LE Silver, 50 LE Gold for example. That's 650 of what is essentially the same coin, just a different metal. That's less rare as the 500 bronze would have been by itself. How different people will respond for collectability will vary. Tell them up front though and at least they have a chance to factor it in, rather than get caught by suprise.

I'll give you a direct example. I spent a lot of money buying Alaska Coins because it's my home state. The Gold leaf wasn't disclosed up front because it hadn't even been thought up yet. Then after I spent too much already...suddenly there is a gold leaf version. Had it been planned up front my order would have been different. I could of spent the same amount of money and got less Bronze for example to get a gold leaf version, or saved more while the design phase was underway. For 2006 I'll bet that they say up front that there will be Bronze, Silver, and Gold Leaf and I'll tweak my order accordningly.

Also reverse it. You think you are trading for the one and only 100 issue Silver Joe Cacher. You get a bronze by trade one of 500 that they forgot to mention they made for trading because the Silver is a reserve version for locals only.

...On my f0t0m0m coins, since they are not for sale... I do not feel I had the need to tell anyone what I was doing with any limited versions. ...

That's true, and yet a can of worms.

If you make them entirly to leave them in caches, it's your coin, your signature item and your call. If people care to speculate on how many you made and start trading 7 for 1...that's their fault. Even if 20,000 are found in your attic and sold by your kids on eBay when you pass on.

Once you trade, people rely on what they know about your coins. I don't know your intent but if you made 100 Brass for 2005 and a new design for 2006 that's one thing if I'm going to trade (and I hope to trade someday) but if it's 100 Brass for 2005, then another 100 Bronze for 2006, then...Gold, Silver, Copper, etc... all of the same die, That's another. Since different collectors are going to percieve things differenlty it matters for trading as well. Some people just like silver better than gold and vice versa. You never know.

...Playing the devil’s advocate myself I wonder how you’d feel if I minted 1000 coins to be sold for an event like the Geobash and had an additional 50 coins made to give to the volunteers, however I kept it a secret so I could surprise the volunteers how gave up their time and energy to plan the event with no thought of reward. To disclose it upfront like you’ve asked would have ruined the intent of the gift. Now once the coins were given out and a full disclosure was made would you feel cheated?

Ok guys, my job is normally devils advocate but...Turnabout is fair play.

It comes down to how you want to do busienss. If you paid for the coins up front to sell all 1050 coins at the event you could easily give the volunteers their coins as they showed up. It's a suprise for them. Then when you sold the 1000, everbody knows about the gift coins and they can buy their 1000 happily. The only suprise is the one you intended.

If you had to go outside to sell 800 coins because you will only sell 200 at the event, now you are essentially using the geocoin community to make the 250 affordable for the attendee's. Now you have to balance things. It's a nice thing to suprise your volunteers. It's not a nice thing to suprise your sponsors who aren't getting 800 of the 1000 but 800 of 1000 and none of the LE coins. There are things you can do to work this out without spoiling your intended suprise.

3) 1 that will go on that bidding place for charity

I was shocked. Shocked I say, to see this mentioned in these forums.

I won. I won. I won!!! :)

Now, now, don't make me come in here and start editing! I'm just doing my job you know. (for which the pay is great by the way!) I'm keeping my eyes open!

Eartha

Your volunteer geocoin forum moderator.

I can see the point for collectors if there is some anticipation of increasing value over time of some coins versus others.

I guess I'm in it because of a different motive. I enjoy collecting .sig items! I take out the little plastic, fimo, laminated, metal stamped, smashed pennies, etc. that speak of the fellow human beings enjoying this hobby. It makes me feel connected. I collect and am creating a coin to extend that web of connection beyond the local folks whose sigs I find in caches.

Rowan

I'll give you a direct example.  I spent a lot of money buying Alaska Coins because it's my home state.  The Gold leaf wasn't disclosed up front because it hadn't even been thought up yet.  Then after I spent too much already...suddenly there is a gold leaf version.  Had it been planned up front my order would have been different. I could of spent the same amount of money and got less Bronze for example to get a gold leaf version, or saved more while the design phase was underway.  For 2006 I'll bet that they say up front that there will be Bronze, Silver, and Gold Leaf and I'll tweak my order accordningly.

Renegade Knight is correct on this point. We were sounding unexplored waters with the 2005 Alaska coins and had no way of knowing the extent of the positive responses which would be received. The silver with gold relief coin was a late release and many, many cachers had already generously supported the project. In retrospect, I clearly understand where RK was coming from when he politely raised his initial opinion and we won't repeat that process again. Chalk that up as an experience which was definitely learned from.

Edited by Ladybug Kids
I'll give you a direct example.  I spent a lot of money buying Alaska Coins because it's my home state.  The Gold leaf wasn't disclosed up front because it hadn't even been thought up yet.  Then after I spent too much already...suddenly there is a gold leaf version.  Had it been planned up front my order would have been different. I could of spent the same amount of money and got less Bronze for example to get a gold leaf version, or saved more while the design phase was underway.  For 2006 I'll bet that they say up front that there will be Bronze, Silver, and Gold Leaf and I'll tweak my order accordningly.

Renegade Knight is correct on this point. We were sounding unexplored waters with the 2005 Alaska coins and had no way of knowing the extent of the positive responses which would be received. The silver with gold relief coin was a late release and many, many cachers had already generously supported the project. In retrospect, I clearly understand where RK was coming from when he politely raised his initial opinion and we won't repeat that process again. Chalk that up as an experience which was definitely learned from.

To be fair, it was the Mint who came up with the idea after the bronze and silver coins were made and distrubuted and everone thought the coins was done. The Ladybug Kids held a discussion about if it should be made. The forum responce was almost universally "Do it!" That's a good example of how to handle something that comes out of the blue.

Next time around (and I hope there is one) I'll buy the Gold Foil Version with my initial order.

A good example is the TX Autumn coin. There were only supposed to be 300, but somehow there ended up being 500. I'm sure some folks who were able to purchase early on thinking there were only 300 were not too happy to find out there were 500 in the end.
That was not intended to be a rip off. It was a miscommunication between me and the manufacturer. I asked for 300 but 500 were made.

I sure do get picked on a lot here. :)

One of the reasons we added 'serial' numbers to our coins was to make sure people knew that we couldnt go out and make another batch of coins. The only coin where this didnt happen was with our NAM! custom shaped coin. On 100 of them, we replaced the number with 'FTF' so people could use them as 'FTF' gifts. (They fit perfectly into a film canister :). For our next series, we will change it a little to make the FTF have a serial number as well. Even though having two separate numbers on the coins, one as a serial and one for tracking, we hope it gives people peace of mind.

A good example is the TX Autumn coin. There were only supposed to be 300, but somehow there ended up being 500. I'm sure some folks who were able to purchase early on thinking there were only 300 were not too happy to find out there were 500 in the end.
That was not intended to be a rip off. It was a miscommunication between me and the manufacturer. I asked for 300 but 500 were made.

I sure do get picked on a lot here. :)

That wasn't meant to pick on you. I'm sorry. It was just an example.

I don't mean to pick on you either! I do know people - including myself - that would have ordered fewer had we known, but mistakes happen and I certainly won't hold it against you.

As for Ladybug Kids, they're my personal example about how to do it right when it comes to selling geocoins. They were in a learning process yet communicated well, and in a proactive manner. They were up front about everything as far as I could tell. Questions and gripes that were posted (not by me!) were answered promptly and and always politely. They always said - and did - the right things. Kudos to them.