Note To Owners Of Missing Coin?

CamoCachers

we recently visited a cache that was listed as having a geocoin. upon finding the cache, we found the geocoin was gone. someone wrote in the cache logbook that they took it, and the entry in the logbook made it sound as if they thought it was a trade item. but they didnt log their find of the cache on line. its been 2 months since they signed they took the coin. im guessing it was someone who doesnt log their finds online and honestly thought it was just a cool trading item.

if your coin was in this circumstance. would you like to receive a note about it on the coin page?

If the coin was actually intending to travel (not a FTF prize or a non-trackable coin), Yes, I'd like to know. I've had a similar situation in several of my TB motel, where both coins and TB's have gone missing and the owners have emailed me asking if the items were logged in the logbook as being taken. There was no mention of it in the online logs. In one case the TB (a Gameboy with a TB tag attached to it) was logged as taken by a local (newbie) cacher and in the other case a Coin (a Germany coin) there was no log at all. Neither ever showed up again. I spent a lot of time trying to help the owners of these items find them with no luck.

If the coin was actually intending to travel (not a FTF prize or a non-trackable coin), Yes, I'd like to know. I've had a similar situation in several of my TB motel, where both coins and TB's have gone missing and the owners have emailed me asking if the items were logged in the logbook as being taken. There was no mention of it in the online logs. In one case the TB (a Gameboy with a TB tag attached to it) was logged as taken by a local (newbie) cacher and in the other case a Coin (a Germany coin) there was no log at all. Neither ever showed up again. I spent a lot of time trying to help the owners of these items find them with no luck.

This was a cool idea to keep coins moving: Cache.

if your coin was in this circumstance. would you like to receive a note about it on the coin page?

Absolutely. If it's missing, I want to know about it so I can remove it from the cache page (The coin is then placed in "Unknown" or in the Travel Bug Graveyard cache.) I don't want one of my coins to lure someone to a cache unless it's actually in the cache. The same goes for my TBs.

If I find a cache and an "advertised" TB/coin is not there, I will notify the owner to let them know that their item is missing in action. I check the logs first. If the missing item has already been reported, I don't send a notification.

And, if I find out that an item has been placed in one of my caches and has gone missing, I notify the owner. And if he/she/they don't remove it from the cache page, I do so myself (after a reasonable amount of time.)