Members Only Caches

markandlynn

With the onset of Instant Notification (you need to be premium member and logged in for the link to work)

Is there any point having members only caches any more ?

At £2ish for one month's membership its not a barrier to a determined person using the website (remember the log list wont show up a PQ)

I suppose the only thing it does is prevent newbies from finding your cache.

Also for the benefit of any non members i will put this in context

Currently there are 30 members only caches In the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and Channel Islands compared to about 10,000 non members caches.

Dons flame proof suit and runs off

<_<<_<

As a freeloading scumbag non-premium member geocacher I can't say I've ever seen the point of PM-only caches. They can still be muggled, they make hiding caches anywhere near them problematical for non-PMs and, if it's a trad, you can still workout the co-ords with a little trial and error. The ones I've seen have been no better hidden or stocked, in no better places or containers than 'free' caches.

Should I ever decide Premium Membership offers me any worthwhile benefits, I'd still not place PM-only caches, for the above good reasons.

SP

As a proper freeloading standard member, I agree with everything SP said.

The only thing I find about MOCs is that it's slightly annoying because I see the "New" logo on a cache search page before I see the "MOC" logo, so I think "wow, new cache nearby. Doh!". But as SP said, there's still plenty of non PM caches in my area.

Also funny is that I was driving to work this morning, thinking to myself "We haven't recently had the issue of Premium membership vs. standard membership" Does this come under 'freaky coincidences'?

edit - read before posting Nick and make sure the sentances make sense!

Edited by NickPick

I've done one only MOC and it was excellent - but thats not the reason for paying the sub. As a family we get an enormous amount of enjoyment from Geocaching and I am more than happy to pay that little bit extra ( especially when the dollar was low ) to support what we enjoy. Having said that; FewKinder and KewFinder are just ord mems.

<_<

There is one advantage of members only caches... you can view the cache audit to see who has been looking in on your cache. If it's a puzzle that requires solving, it is nice to know who has been looking in, and how many times they have looked!

Oh, and you can keep freeloading scumbag non-premium members off your cache. LOL! :blink: Sorry Paul, only joking! <_<<_<:o

ditto to most things said! I just wanted to express my surprise that SP is a freeloading scumbag non-premium member!! :huh:

SP, does this mean you print your cache pages when you go caching, and don't use GSAK? Just surprised, thats all!

Not even that. I write the co-ords, clue and any formulas on the page in a small book or on a scrap of paper and go for it. This *has* lead to problems, but a life without challenges is like a woman without a sharp intellect. Fun for a while but ultimately unsatisfying. ;)

SP

I am another freeloading scum, who's not yet got a premium membership. I have been very tempted, especially after the recent google earth enhancements (that are, very cool). After all, it's very cheap, and that warm fuzzy feeling can be hard to beat.

But then I remember what happened here last January in these forums, or I look at what's happening now to Virtuals/earth caches, etc. (and a few other things that are a thorn in my side). So, I don't bother on principal, so there!

But then I remember what happened here last January in these forums...

OK, so for those of us who weren't about then, can someone please enlighten us?

Bambi.

I don't know if we mention that out loud, but I expect you'll have received a PM shortly. :D

Or you could run aforum search for a word beginning with T which means "Large wave caused by underwater earthquake" and look at all the locked threads dated Jan 2005

Edited by NickPick

i have recently come across my first member only cache....... but it only became one very recently, after we tried to find it! Why would that happen?

We're new at caching so would prefer to get a few more under our belts before paying up, to make sure that this is really for us. We printed off the Thomas Hickman and headed off to find it, unsuccessfully as it turns out and logged that we'd not found it! Next time we tried to visit the page less than a week later to see if anyone had found it since we searched, we discovered it had been made a member only cache. :lol:

did we upset someone? ;) hope not, cause we're really pretty friendly folk :D

Edited by mjbvbjjb
i have recently come across my first member only cache....... but it only became one very recently, after we tried to find it!  Why would that happen?

We're new at caching so would prefer to get a few more under our belts before paying up, to make sure that this is really for us.  We printed off the Thomas Hickman and headed off to find it, unsuccessfully as it turns out and logged that we'd not found it!  Next time we tried to visit the page less than a week later to see if anyone had found it since we searched, we discovered it had been made a member only cache.  :lol:

did we upset someone?  :D  hope not, cause we're really pretty friendly folk  :D

I can see how annoying that could be.

There is a facility for non members to log MOC caches i have put a link in here to help you out.

Having looked at the cache page he has placed a new container 3 days after your visit so yours was probably an "it was not there" log rather than a DNF.

Log the cache

NB welcome to the forums nice to see some new faces ;)

i have recently come across my first member only cache....... but it only became one very recently, after we tried to find it! Why would that happen?

Because someone has read the arguments on the subject and thinks that it's a good idea to change their caches?

I would love to get the audit logs, but don't especially want to make my caches premium member only.

My take on this is that it's a comparatively small amount to pay when you consider the amount of time I spend caching, and I do enjoy the member features. However, I do have misgivings about certain aspects of how a single organisation effectively 'owns' geocaching.

As it is not compulsary to be a premium member I respect anybody's right not to be one. Considering the hobby carries on because of the money and time given by cachers, I would be completely sympathetic with the viewpoint that why should TPTB make money from this?

This was the situation when I joined geocaching, so I have made the choice to accept the status quo as it is. If I had been in at the start, I may have chosen to make a noise to try to prevent the community sleepwalking into this situation. I wasn't, it is, and I chose to pay. It is Jeremy's bat and ball (and very nice of us to buy it for him) so it's his game. I can live with that.

Well I am a "freeloading scumbag non-premium member" as well. To be honest I have been thinking about premium membership for a while but never quite got round to it. It was not worth wile when I was only looking for a cache every 6 months and even now I do not feel I am missing out on anything big.

Perhaps it is because I am not a premium member but I don't like the idea of member only caches. I also like to think that I have put something back to the cause just by placing caches that people enjoy (or at least I hope they do) that costs time and money, and just because someone does not subsidise the web service does not make them a freeloader.

Premium membership as my Christmas present to me perhaps.

Having looked at the cache page he has placed a new container 3 days after your visit so yours was probably an "it was not there" log rather than a DNF.

Log the cache

NB welcome to the forums nice to see some new faces :D

Many thanks for the link - we returned today and found it....exactly where we had searched before!

I will log it now with pleasure! :D

and thanks for the welcome too.

:P