Isle Of Man Event

markandlynn

The Isle of Man Event Page can be found here

We are commisioning a limited edition tag that will only be available from us at this event (anyone who attends during the week is entitled to log the event and take a tag till we run out !).

This will just be a collectors item not trackable etc

We hope that closer to the actual date a Friday night beach party can be organised as an event in the event (any volunteers?)

*****MANY***MANY***** thanks to those people who have responded so far.

The current list of confirmed attendees etc is

Please note we will need the ages of your children as well please allthough we can sort more details out closer to the event.

Steampackets prices should be available in January.

8b46b62d-ede0-4154-a1d7-5a08e47f57cb.jpg

Everyone will be most welcome (even Moote :) ), and I don't think you'll go home disappointed.

Two new caches appeared in the last couple of weeks (nothing to do with me, for a change!) and I've been out all afternoon planning no. 9 in my Curiously series* - it should be a belter :ph34r:

There should be some Manx cachers turning up as well, but most of them will probably wait until nearer the date before showing their interest.

(*...I'm just avoiding cache advertising here, I think, as the cache doesn't exist yet).

HH

Does anyone have an opinion on listing the beach party as a separate event cache say on the friday after the weekend date ?

Would like some feedback on this please :ninja:

Also if this cache meet within a meet is going ahead can someone else pick up the organisation of it please pretty please with sugar on the top :ninja::ninja:

NB with thanks to HH the campsite will give us a marquee !!! :ninja::ninja:

OK Steampacket has finally caught up with us B)

The cost for our current days ie outward 28th July back on the 5th August is £236 (we are looking to extend this at the moment as there may be too many caches B) )

Heres a link to the relevant steampacket page for those dates with car, two adults and three kids.

We have contacted them re a bulk booking discount so shall let you all know how we get on. :huh:

Another 20 days and the date on the cache page will reflect the date of the event.

No answer forthcoming from steampacket after several emails and a letter so id guess theres no discount / progress there.

The campsite will discount when we all arrive. They are aware of currently confirmed campers.

Would like to know how disruptive the rally will be re the roads.

and finally i would like answers to all those puzzle caches pleaase :D

Would like to know how disruptive the rally will be re the roads.

The Manx International Rally is a tarmac-road based event over three days (3-5 August this year).

Normally, quite a few back roads are closed for short periods during the rally but most main roads are kept open all the time. It's hard to predict the actual effect on anyone's plans, as the closures are very complicated - even if you get a list it won't make much sense unless you spend hours mapping them.

I generally ignore the closures, and only occasionally have to make a detour. It won't seriously affect the event or the week of geocaching. You may have to sit for half an hour watching cars hurtle past down narrow and winding country lanes at 100 mph, but if that doesn't appeal you can generally get where you want to go by another route.

The road closure details will be available from the tourist office at Douglas Sea Terminal.

Hope that helps!

HH

The Irish team of Windsockers + Kili Or Bust are in the middle of their Isle of Man geocaching week, and by all accounts having a hoot. Those that coming across in the summer, or contemplating attending the event, might be interested in following their progress - hopefully it'll be a bit less muddy by then! I counted 31 caches logged in the first three days - a fantastic effort considering the challenging ones they've logged, with several having to be found in the dark.

Try these links for details;

IOM Caches

Kili

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Having been to the Isle of Man a couple of weeks ago to do some caching i have to say get there if you can as its got some fantastic caches to be found.

I only wish i could get away in the summer to attend the event but I'm in the camping business so no chance B) however I do have all the caches on my watch list to see how you all get on as there's plenty of surprises in store.

Enjoy

Steve (The Windsockers)

i hope someone's volunteered for this

Yes, I'll get the beach party sorted out. It will probably consist of a nice beach, with (erm) a party on it. In evening sunshine (I wish I could promise that last bit!).

In any case, I'll be looking for a quiet beach facing west, just in case there are some rays of warm sun to soak up over a few glasses of chilled champagne. I'll bring fishing tackle, so we can have a few fresh sea bass to barbecue too! The exact date may have to be left until the last minute, so we can take advantage of the best weather.

I'll arrange the special limited-edition, trackable geocoin as well, unless someone is already planning one.

I think that's enough "I'll" for now B) .

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey
i hope someone's volunteered for this

Yes, I'll get the beach party sorted out. It will probably consist of a nice beach, with (erm) a party on it. In evening sunshine (I wish I could promise that last bit!).

In any case, I'll be looking for a quiet beach facing west, just in case there are some rays of warm sun to soak up over a few glasses of chilled champagne. I'll bring fishing tackle, so we can have a few fresh sea bass to barbecue too! The exact date may have to be left until the last minute, so we can take advantage of the best weather.

I'll arrange the special limited-edition, trackable geocoin as well, unless someone is already planning one.

I think that's enough "I'll" for now :anibad: .

HH

Cheers for that ! it is of course a joint credit on the organisation for this <_< one looking forward to actually meeting you i will also have some limited edition geotags for the event as well. :anibad:

Full maps have arrived after we paid the site a deposit.

We have now extended our stay to just under two weeks !! so hopefully we will get all those caches.

Still plenty of room for anyone else who wants to come . :anibad:

I'm not bumping this just for the sake of it (honest!) - this is just to point out that cheap British Airways flights from Manchester to the Isle of Man are still available for July/August (the date of the event). So if you're considering joining the merry crew for part or all of the event week, this might be an option (there are plenty of other flights from various airports, but this is the cheapest).

You should be able to get a ticket for £15 return (unfortunately, taxes and fees bump that up to £57.60 but it's still not bad if there's only one or two of you). Obviously, transport on the IOM would then be required, but you might be able to team up with someone who's bringing a car - or hire one on the island (I can supply details if required).

The IOM Dept of Tourism are interested, and have started offering free goodies: I'm going to try and persuade them to help us a bit more substantially! Watch this space.

HH

This one deserves another bump

Don't forget to get your ferry tickets booked!

This indeed deserves the bump. :laughing:

We have just come back from the island,and what a place to go.

We went over for the TT and inbetween racing we went caching,only bagged a hand full and at this time not logged them all yet.

We will be back next year,and for those out there who are undesisive on wheather to go over or not,its fully recommended by us....Go for it,its a great island...

Edited by The Great Defenders

The IOM Dept of Tourism has kindly offered to provide loads of Manx souvenirs for the event, so no-one has to go home empty handed. Hopefully there'll be a new 5*/5* cache awaiting FTF too - unless the locals can get there before the visiting experts.

Since the event was first mooted, there has been an explosion of new caches from me and several others here (more than 70 now). All types are catered for: and some of them take the best part of a day, so there will be plenty to do!

The geocoin collectors will find an exceptional concentration in the IOM caches, and the countryside is second to none so I don't expect any disappointed visitors, no matter what the weather.

HH

Our last post to this thread until after we return.

See you all on Sunday the attendance looks to be quite low no doubt due to the £250 ferry costs :unsure: foot passengers for the day will find it quite cheap £17 return and the island has excellent public transport links if anyone fancies popping over !

Cheers markandlynn

Hopefully there'll be a new 5*/5* cache awaiting FTF too - unless the locals can get there before the visiting experts.

It's been unfound for two weeks now - I hope that someone will be up to the challenge next week!

There's no time on the web page, but I'll probably get to the camp site for about 7.30 on Sunday.

HH