M1 Drive By Adventure Bookmark List

KiwiGary

Hi All,

I have created a Bookmark list for the M1 motorway in England for a trip coming up.

M1 Driveby Adventure

It lists all caches (excluding events) that are within 1 mile of the M1 motorway that runs from London to Leeds.

m1.jpg

The bookmark features are great; you can now create a pocket query from a bookmark.

The idea is that if you are heading up the M1, load your GPS with these bookmarked caches and you can do some rest stop caching on your travels.

Please note some of them maybe puzzles so have a look before you try and do one of these caches. These may require some homework first. <_<

Sorry but I think Bookmarks are a premium member feature, so members may have problems with them.

If you have any comments feel free, to email me.

If people find this useful, maybe we could create other one for other motorways around the country.

See ya….Gary

What is your crietria for including a cache on the list Gary? No criticism implied. I think the bookmark list is a good idea. However, some of the Otterspool caches are physically near the M1, but I would not chose to do one of them as an M1 journey stop off.

The only crietria Ali is that there are 1 mile from the motorway.

So access could be further away from them, I would recommend people check the car parking first.

See ya....Gary

That's nice.... Are you going to keep it up to date on a daily basis with all the caches that are added and archived ? <_<

Hi John,

Yes if its popular I will update it every month. Sorry couldn't do it daily [<_<]. Its quite a bit of work.

If anyone does place a cache near the M1, they could drop me a line and I could add it manually.

See ya...Gary

Well, GCMRVQ is probably about 1.001 miles from the M1, but it's very suitable as a driveby and as such is named "M1 drive-by series, J23 (On Your Marks)"

I've done a search on distance alone before, and just because the cache is near to the motorway by no means denotes that it's easy to get to! There's one near Solihull we enjoyed where you take a footbridge over the M42 to find the cache. However, it's far from easy to find the right junction and the way to the parking - we certainly couldn't have broken a journey with it.

Cheers,

Stu

not that I'm offering to do this (don't use the M1) but could this be updated semi automatically?

If you can create a route in some mapping software (I use autoroute, but others do it as well) then you can export htis route as a set of waypoints to GSAK, then use the arc filter facility in this to pick out all caches within 1 mile of the arc (ie the M1) and then use the BRAND NEW ;) macro to create a bookmark list from this filter....

just a thought - i might try it with the M3 if its worth it!

Dave

Well, GCMRVQ is probably about 1.001 miles from the M1, but it's very suitable as a driveby and as such is named "M1 drive-by series, J23 (On Your Marks)"

I've done a search on distance alone before, and just because the cache is near to the motorway by no means denotes that it's easy to get to! There's one near Solihull we enjoyed where you take a footbridge over the M42 to find the cache. However, it's far from easy to find the right junction and the way to the parking - we certainly couldn't have broken a journey with it.

Cheers,

Stu

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the feedback I have added that cache, I should have remembered that one as I did that myself as a M1 drive by earlier this year.

See ya...Gary

not that I'm offering to do this (don't use the M1) but could this be updated semi automatically?

If you can create a route in some mapping software (I use autoroute, but others do it as well) then you can export htis route as a set of waypoints to GSAK, then use the arc filter facility in this to pick out all caches within 1 mile of the arc (ie the M1) and then use the BRAND NEW :D macro to create a bookmark list from this filter....

just a thought - i might try it with the M3 if its worth it!

Dave

Hi.

Thats what I did, create a route in mapsource and the export this to GSAK to create a filter.

The create bookmark macro sounds great, tell me if you work out how to do that [:rolleyes:).

See ya...Gary

i used the macro yesterday to create a list of all earth caches. Simply got to GSAK and then macros and download the bookmark macro to the appropriate folder in GSAK. Once you've selected trhe appropriate caches wiith a filter or whatever, just run it. It pops up a continue box between each cache to be bookmarked. You will need to create the bookmark list first.

Works a treat!

D

well, as Gary has done the hard work, I guess people could add cache and dash suitability reviews to the individual caches to allow you to make that choice - I think Gary would have to actuallyedit the booklist if he wanted to add these brief descriptions to it, although one can review the entire list. I often shortlist caches to do which crop up along a journey route, but discount those which involve a mile of muddy slogging, as unsuitable for a quick stop, even if they are 'close' to the motorway.

I did stu_and_sarah's J23 cache the other week, and it was very suitable for somebody wearing a suit and just wanting a short park and walk cache. going only slightly soft on the grass.

My own J8 cache is a slightly longer walk, and it is across a field and you do have to furtle in the undergrowth so possibly not suitable for ladies in heels... although it's never particularly muddy along there.

I did the J18 cache and this involves a walk along either a muddy towpath or muddy fields and some scrambling about, so I would not do this in a suit, but it is suitable for jeans and boots.

well, as Gary has done the hard work, I guess people could add cache and dash suitability reviews to the individual caches to allow you to make that choice - I think Gary would have to actuallyedit the booklist if he wanted to add these brief descriptions to it, although one can review the entire list. I often shortlist caches to do which crop up along a journey route, but discount those which involve a mile of muddy slogging, as unsuitable for a quick stop, even if they are 'close' to the motorway.

I did stu_and_sarah's J23 cache the other week, and it was very suitable for somebody wearing a suit and just wanting a short park and walk cache. going only slightly soft on the grass.

My own J8 cache is a slightly longer walk, and it is across a field and you do have to furtle in the undergrowth so possibly not suitable for ladies in heels... although it's never particularly muddy along there.

I did the J18 cache and this involves a walk along either a muddy towpath or muddy fields and some scrambling about, so I would not do this in a suit, but it is suitable for jeans and boots.

Sounds good Ali, if people are keen send comments in the following format:-

GCWWQW

Requires a walk of 3 miles to get to cache site, through a village full of mutants. Not recommended as drive by cache. :lol:

To my email via the gc.com web site, I will update the bookmark.

See ya...Gary

Great - read this the day after I travelled a fair section of the M1! :lol:

Not that I would have had time to stop off but I would have been able to madden my passenger by saying every few minutes "There's a cache over there!" but then TomTom already does that as I have the proximity alarm set to 1 mile and most caches I am near in the memory.