New And Frustrated

crazycusters

how do all? well i've been wanting to get a GPSr for awhile for doing this and other fun random things. i just picked one up yesterday (sat 19) and my brand new wife (as of the 12th) and i went hunting for what we thought were 2 close geocaches. so we headed out full of excitment after doing some homework bout the area and stuff and fig we had it down. were having a blast watchin the distance drop and when we got to a distance of 6 ft we stopped and decided to just look around. NOW i know that its not that precise cuz it say how precise the sats are. at that point 19 ft. well as we stood there the distance jumped to 80ft and then 120 and then all over the scale and the navagator kept swapin which way it pointed at first we thought we kept moving too fast so we would stop and sit still for bout 5 mins and the same thing would happen. oh by the way its a garmin legend. and that day was gorgeous. min tree cover and CLEAR sky :( well we poked around for about an hour tryin to fig out what it was doin till we gave up and went to the next cache. low and behold it was doin the same thing! ;) and this time we were beside a pond still a clear sky and no trees! this time i got 1.5ft and then it started all over again 30 ft this way no wait 18 that way. what am i doin wrong? should u move at a certain pace? we even went to the map screen and watched the triangle move around while we were standing still yet the nav computer said we were stationary???needless to say we got very confused and frustrated at the same time and came home empty handed and confused PLEASE HELP! ;)

Edited by krippendroph

There are several good sites to look at listed above in the FAQ thread.

The best advice is to stop looking at the unit so much once you get within about 50 feet. Remember that the hiders unit is no more accurate than yours and the errors could compound. Rarely will you find a cache when the GPSr shows zero. Once you are headed in the right direction and are about 50 feet away start looking for a place to hide the cache. Also look for something that doesn't look right. That unusual pile of sticks may well be hiding the cache.

Also, try to start with regular size caches and pick caches that have a difficulty rating of one or two. Once you get the idea of how these things are hidden you can move up the difficulty ratings.

Don't give up, keep trying and you will prevail. We all have caches we couldn't find. Some of them I have had to go back to several times.

I agree with WeightMan's suggestions, but I wonder about the behavior of your GPSr . . . That sounds very unusual.

Although the arrow on mine (Garmin eTrex Vista C) might spin around under certain circumstances, the numbers usually don't vary so wildly. Changing from 6 feet to 80 feet to 120 feet makes me wonder about the unit. That was also true when I was using the monochrome Vista.

Even after I've stopped, I don't think the numbers ever change more than a few feet.

What kind of batteries are you using? I use 2500 mAmp Energizer Rechargeables but did get odd behavior when I used poor-quality batteries.

The Legends compass is only accurate while you are moving. The Vistas and later models have a compass that you can calibrate that the bearing needle will point in the direction even when you are stopped. Those GPSr's should be calibrated often (daily in use) for best accuracy.

Make sure you have good sat. lock. Make your course to the cache as straight as possible in the last several hundred feet glancing down at the bearing pointer but looking at you objective while it counts the feet down.

Another method is to "bear off" and stop when you are at a right angle to the cache. This can be of some use to help get a mental triangulation of where the cache could be.

Don't fret. You'll soon be grabbin those caches racking up the found stats. You are not the first person to start out and have this problem. If you need to, check your area where you live to see if there is a cacher to help start you out. ;)

When your GPS distance jumps around it's a symptom of a bad signal or a signal that is bouncing around as it gets to your GPS. This most often happens to me when I'm under tree cover, or near large brige of the kind that has the steel superstructure.

When your bearing pointer (the arrow) jumps around when you are within 20' or when you are not moving that's normal. What's going on is that the GPS uses your movement to know where you are located and what direction you are heading. As long as you move at a certain rate (and keep ahead of the natural error of the GPS) it can figure out what direction you are heading and point correctly. When you move too slowly (typically you will be stopped) the random error will bounce where the GPS thinks you are around where you actually are. The radom bouncing causes the pointer to shift around as your location 'moved' at random. Also when you are very close to ground zero and within the error of the GPS it can't point you the right way anymore and so even though it knows where you are heading you are too close to the waypoint for it to figure correctly what way to point.

Bottom line:

IF you are within 20' look for the cache.

If your GPS is jumping around that much it may not be working properly. I am on my 4th GPS and mine has been doing just that(which the other 3 didnt) Try marking a spot somewhere, average the coords for awhile, then walk about 300 feet away and give the GPS to your wife and see if she goes to the spot (within 30 feet) of where you marked. Then switch and have her mark a spot for you to find. When you get to "ground zero" the arrow should move around a bit depending on accuracy and reception, but it should not jump to saying you are 100+ feet away.

Also note that one reason it is called "ground zero' is because when you get there sometimes you will walk in a circle ;) But it should be a small circle (30ft max) not 100 ft.

thanks alot guys! i really apprecate the help. the big structure thing is a possiblity i did wonder about that. there is/was a tv tower within a 10th of a mile where we were for both. i really like that idea of testin by settin my own way point and handin off i will try that. no worries kiddies i have not lost hope infact i already been lookin for another one to try but was told for try for the day was enough. so soon as i get a chance i go huntin. i will keep you posted thanks again for all the help!

Your GPSr is always going to be correcting its position. Even by a few feet one way or the other. For example, on your tracks, while standing still, get a good lock, zoom in on yourself, and watch the track points jump around a bit.

Your GPSr also determines the direction you are going by comparing the last track point with the current one (some have an averaging function). If these track points indicate that you are moving in a different direction, then your direction indicator will spin around. You only will get a good direction when you are moving.

That is the advantage of having a compass (stand-alone or electronic built in).

thanks alot guys! i really apprecate the help. the big structure thing is a possiblity i did wonder about that. there is/was a tv tower within a 10th of a mile where we were for both. i really like that idea of testin by settin my own way point and handin off i will try that. no worries kiddies i have not lost hope infact i already been lookin for another one to try but was told for try for the day was enough. so soon as i get a chance i go huntin. i will keep you posted thanks again for all the help!

From your description, I'd say that the transmission towers are quite possibly the cause of your GPSr's erratic behavior. I have seen mine (a Mag. Sportrak Map) do that on two occasions; when I was at Fremont Peak, in line of site of an antenna farm there, and also when I was directly under a set of high-tension power lines.

If possible, back off a few hundred feet and triangulate.

Locating a adjusted benchmark near you and compare your gps with the benchmark will also help to see how close you are, also remember your readings will change form hour by hour as the sats move in their orbit ;)

But remember to look for a benchmark that is listed as "adjusted" and not merely "scaled:

If it says "location is SCALED", then the coordinates were probably originally obtained from a map and won't be very accurate.

Control points that are used for horizontal control have much more accurate coordinates. (In some cases, those coordinates can seem almost hyper-accurate.) If, on the benchmark page, it says "location is ADJUSTED", then you are looking for a horizontal control point. Most of these have been included in a nationwide network adjustment to obtain state-of-the-art precision, and the coordinates can be much more accurate than any handheld GPS can measure (within a few millimeters).

You don't live too far away from us. If you want to go out caching this weekend I'll be happy to go with you and we can go to some we already found. There are some nice ones in Potapsco Valley State Park. I am free for caching on Thurs (thanksgiving), Friday, and Sunday.

We have an etrex legend so can assist you with functions and things.

You can PM if you like through my profile or just reply here.

Dawn

As a newbie, one of the things I do after I find /log / rehid the cache is walk away and find it again, especially if I had difficulty. It has gotten ME to understand my gps better. Alot of time it has pointed to the cache, but my own inpatientness and not reading it right send me off on my own wild goose chase.

Edited by SandyEggoGuy

Actually, Vagabond, many models say the ideal is to hold it at a 45-deg angle away from you towards the sky.

Kripp, two other thoughts no one has given here:

1) If there is an option to do so on your GPS, get an external antenna. Sometimes in tricky GPS reception conditions this will help solve the problem. They are usually magnetic so you can attach it to something metal, two common ones some people do are either to wear a "baseball cap" with a metal top and attach it there, or to attach it to something metal on a backpack, like a zipper or they velcro on a metal piece for this purpose. It looks a little geeky, but it can help a lot, especially in tree cover. You can usually get one on eBay for as little as $20.

2) Go for caches that have some sort of encrypted hint (most do) to help you. And especially as a beginner, don't be ashamed to use the hint, it will help you learn the general way things are hidden.

Enjoy and good luck!

Edited by hairymon
Actually, Vagabond, many models say the ideal is to hold it at a 45-deg angle away from you towards the sky.

Oh which ones would that be

My Lowrance gn212 received the signal best laying horizontal

The same as my Legend etrex

My Magellan gold received the best signal in the vertical position.

My Explorists 500 is best in the horizontal position

Edited by vagabond

well all just thought i would update this went out with team red oak and they gave us some pointers we found 6 that day then yesterday i went out and found 3 more during lunch. and oooo there are a bunch near by, lunch is starting to turn into eatting optional :) found some i gonna make my wife see if she can figure out. great game glad i found it thanks for all the help everyone specially Team Red Oak :lol:

well all just thought i would update this went out with team red oak and they gave us some pointers we found 6 that day then yesterday i went out and found 3 more during lunch. and oooo there are a bunch near by, lunch is starting to turn into eatting optional :unsure: found some i gonna make my wife see if she can figure out. great game glad i found it thanks for all the help everyone specially Team Red Oak :ph34r:

great game glad i found it

You didn't find us. We found you!! You're ours! DO YOU HEAR US? OURS THERE IS NO TURNING BACK

BWA BWAAA BWAAHAAAA!!! :ph34r:

:rolleyes: Oh yeah! Welcome! :):)