Making Caches Smell Better

Airmapper

I heard this trick on TV, and am trying it out, I'll tell more on how it goes.

Put newspaper inside a cache container and it will absorb the smells. Like the musty smells in a ammo can like I picked up at the army surplus the other day.

Anyone got any suggestions on making a cache smell better pefore you place it? My newspaper trick has worked some, anyone want to try it?

That's interesting. Is it supposed to absorb moisture or something about the type of paper?

I have never been that concerned since here in the desert ammo cans seldom get wet inside. Also, I never add anything to make them smell better since anything scented can attract critters and they can haul off a cache.

Like the musty smells in a ammo can...

:P

Sometimes I feel like the Fabreeze kid in that commercial, only it's a ammo can, not a pair of underwear over my head.

...sssnnnniiiiffffff..... ahhhhh....

<Robert Duval voice>

"There's nothing like the smell of an ammo can in the morning. It smells like... caching."

</voice>

See, another reason ammo cans are better than film cans. :lol:

I've had to deal with this for an upcoming cache project where I'll be giving away over 200+ regular caches away. Most of the containers are Folgers Fresh Seal plastic coffee cans and many of the others are screw top ex-food containers. My concern for eliminating the odor is to keep the critters away.

I have found that filling/soaking a container in a 10% bleach solution for a few days will destroy any food odor and pretty much any other odor. The bleach odor goes away pretty quick too.

I think it would be important to get out the smells on used food containers for caches. I've used them and so far haven't had any trouble, but still want to get all the smell out before placing it where the critters can find it.

As for the ammo cans, I don't care if it smells some, but I would like to take the edge of of it. It will get a smell of it's own after being placed.

I think it would be important to get out the smells on used food containers for caches. I've used them and so far haven't had any trouble, but still want to get all the smell out before placing it where the critters can find it.

As for the ammo cans, I don't care if it smells some, but I would like to take the edge of of it. It will get a smell of it's own after being placed.

Based on that, I recommend the bleach treatment on anything that at one time contained food, and just rinse out with soap water if it never had food in it.

I, too, *want* to smell the "ammo can smell" when I open a cache.  Imagine going to Starbucks but they had huge fans blowing scent neutralizer to cancel out the coffee smell.

I have heard that sealing a hamster in a container for a week or two will remove most odors, but personally, I agree with Lep. :P:lol:

Please remember that Hamsters are social animals. Leaving one in a cache for an extended period is frowned on. You should always leave 2 so they can chat away the hours.....

Please remember that Hamsters are social animals. Leaving one in a cache for an extended period is frowned on. You should always leave 2 so they can chat away the hours.....

Most hamsters also like eating eggs. I highly recommend soft boiling a few and placing them in the container with the hamsters. This will definately remove ALL traces of "ammo stink".

M-T-P

As Moose Mob pointed out in the second post of this thread, you don't want to put anything in the container that adds smell. While ammo cans are pretty much animal proof (inside and out, according to Lep), not everyone uses ammo cans, and even a nice-smelling ammo can can attract the attention of critters.

Or if you are really anal - stick it to em with stick-ups.

Stick-ups are probably not a good idea. Did you forget the smiley? :lol:

my friend just took a ricotta cheese container and soaked it in vinegar over night and the cheese smell was totally gone the next day

Maybe, maybe not. Animals' sense of smell is many times more sensitive than humans. It's very difficult to get rid of food smells to the point where animals won't chew up your container.

Scented candles are a cheap way to mask many cache smells.

And they are likely to attract animals looking for food. I'm fairly sure I've been witness to this on a couple of occasions.

Now.. actually putting animals inside the cache on purpose, that's a different topic.

Jamie

Scented candles are a cheap way to mask many cache smells.  They have become my standard "trade" item when I don't take anything from the cache.

THe key word here is "mask." They do not remove any smell that may have been there before and they add an odor.

Please do not put scented anything in a cache.

;) Please no sented candles, rats think they are candy!!

Oh... here's me thinking they might just make an ammo box smell nicer.

Well, we don't have to worry about bears round here. And if I spot any rats gnawing their way into an ammo box, I'll let y'all know... but thanks for the heads-up, I'll certainly avoid putting them in tupperware!