San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

rolleyes.gifIs any one interested in the good Night Calavera night cache on Thursday eve? GC2X86J Nevada Wolf is in town and we'll be taking her there Thursday eve. Let us know and we'll find a meeting place.

Are you still open for tag alongs on this outing?

Sure...we will figure out what time to meet and post here. Where are you coming from?

huh.gif Due to schedule conflicts we are going Friday eve instead of Thursday...plus Thursday is a work night and it'll be a long night....will post meeting time later this week.

I can still make it on Friday. I will be coming from the Spring Valley (La Presa) area.

unsure.gifWe're meeting at the suggested parking area Friday eve at 8:30 pm...off Cannon Road.

I will be there. Any changes let me know. 619318-1469

rolleyes.gifIs any one interested in the good Night Calavera night cache on Thursday eve? GC2X86J Nevada Wolf is in town and we'll be taking her there Thursday eve. Let us know and we'll find a meeting place.

Sure...we will figure out what time to meet and post here. Where are you coming from?

huh.gif Due to schedule conflicts we are going Friday eve instead of Thursday...plus Thursday is a work night and it'll be a long night....will post meeting time later this week.

I can still make it on Friday. I will be coming from the Spring Valley (La Presa) area.

unsure.gifWe're meeting at the suggested parking area Friday eve at 8:30 pm...off Cannon Road.

Is this still on this evening? We haven't done much caching lately, but it sounds fun and we live very close now!

Is this still on this evening? We haven't done much caching lately, but it sounds fun and we live very close now!

biggrin.gifIt's on! Friday eve 8:30 at trail head/parking suggested on the cache page.

biggrin.gifIt's on! Friday eve 8:30 at trail head/parking suggested on the cache page.

Doh! Well, I tried! I'll have to plan more carefully for contingencies next time! :P It was nice at least meeting the crew at the starting point!

Doh! Well, I tried! I'll have to plan more carefully for contingencies next time! :P It was nice at least meeting the crew at the starting point!

TFTC: We had fun, but it was a long hike...I'm thinking if the kids were not 100% into it, then it was probably better that you decided against it. It was very fun though...and not all that spooky....just the noises and the skunk! It was nice to see you!

:D :D :D MARK YOUR CALENDARS !!!! :D :D :D

GEO OCOTILLO CAMPOUT WILL BE HELD ON NOV. 11, 12, 13 ~ AT SKILLET'S PLACE !!!! :lol: :lol:

WE WILL FOLLOW OUR USUAL FORMAT WITH THE CHILI COOKOFF/POKER RUN/RAFFLE/ AND MAYBE

A RUN TO SOMEPLACE AWESOME !!

EVENT PAGE WILL BE UP IN SEPT. SOMETIME. WE WANTED YOU ALL TO BE SURE YOU HAVE THAT TIME

WRITTEN DOWN IN INK SO THAT YOU DON'T MISS IT!!

THE SPLASHES & THE GEO OCOTILLO CAMPOUT CREW !

GEO OCOTILLO CAMPOUT WILL BE HELD ON NOV. 11, 12, 13 ~ AT SKILLET'S PLACE !!!! :lol: :lol:

WE WILL FOLLOW OUR USUAL FORMAT WITH THE CHILI COOKOFF/POKER RUN/RAFFLE/ AND MAYBE

EVENT PAGE WILL BE UP IN SEPT. SOMETIME. WE WANTED YOU ALL TO BE SURE YOU HAVE THAT TIME

:grin: Yay! It's on the calendar!!! :grin:

Can't wait!! 11/11/11 -- I had a friend in college who used to run up and down the halls every night at 11:11 yelling out, "It's eleven eleven..." Yeah, we were nerds... Maybe I'll do that all day at the event for you all... :blink::rolleyes::blink:

Can't wait!! 11/11/11 -- I had a friend in college who used to run up and down the halls every night at 11:11 yelling out, "It's eleven eleven..." Yeah, we were nerds... Maybe I'll do that all day at the event for you all... :blink::rolleyes::blink:

00020408.gif0002013F.gif000203D1.gifEvent page will be up in Aug

Edited by SKILLET

Will you be wearing clothes?? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Will there be a raffle?

Will we win a prize?

Will there be any offroad runs planned for the day?

Will there be a CITO event too?

What will the weather be like?

Will there be any geocaches hidden for this event?

Can we get there early?

Should we bring some chili?

Will there be a poker run?

Will we need 4 wheel drive?

....oh nevermind....We will be there! Wouldn't miss it.... Now where is my calendar?

Will there be a raffle?

Will we win a prize?

Can we get there early?

....oh nevermind....We will be there! Wouldn't miss it.... Now where is my calendar?

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Does that answer your questions0002043D.gif

Will there be a raffle?

Will we win a prize?

Can we get there early?

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Does that answer your questions0002043D.gif

There is one no to the questions so guess which one?

:lol: :lol: REMINDER :lol: :lol:

GEO-OCOTILLO IS COMING UP FAST.................NOV. 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ..........AT SKILLET'S PLACE IN OCOTILLO WELLS.

TIME TO START GATHERING INGREDIENTS FOR YOUR AWARD WINNING CHILI !

HMMM, WHAT KIND OF YUMMY DESSERT WILL YOU WHIP UP FOR THE DESSERT CONTEST?? VALUABLE CACHE PRIZES HERE FOR FIRST,SECOND, & THIRD PLACE! :D

WHO'S IN FOR THE POKER RUN ??? TOTAL $$ PAYBACK, WE KEEP NUTIN' :blink:

NEW CACHES TO BE PLACED, TO ADD TO THE OTHER GOBZILLION OUT THERE ! :grin:

DON'T FORGET OUR 'AWARD WINNING' RAFFLE TO BE HELD AFTER DINNER...........GREAT STUFF!

DELUX PORTA POTTIES WILL BE HERE AGAIN FOR YOU TENT CAMPERS.......OR WHOEVER.............

PLEASE BRING SOMETHING TO SHARE FOR SAT. NIGHT'S CHILE/DESSERT/ EXTRAVAGANZA.............GARLIC BREAD ~ SALAD ~ ETC.

SO, IS YOUR RV READY? IS THE TENT SHAKEN OUT YET? NEED TO TUNE UP THE JEEP OR GEO-MOBILE? ARE YOUR PILLOWS FLUFFED?

COME AND JOIN US FOR A WEEKEND OF FUN IN THE DEZ!

THERE WILL ALSO BE AN 11/11/11 EVENT ON FRIDAY NIGHT...........UH...THE 11TH.....ON MAIN ST. IN OCOTILLO WELLS. PLAN ON GETTING THERE FOR THAT ONE TOO. LOOKS LIKE SMORES & A BONFIRE IS IN THE WORKS.

YOU CAN PARK YOUR STUFF AT SKILLET'S AND HEAD ON OVER FOR THAT ONE!

9TH ANNUAL GEO-OCOTILLO EVENT ............ GC32143

OH THANK HEAVEN FOR ELEVEN, ELEVEN, ELEVEN.........GC2WJG1

PLEASE SIGN UP ON THE EVENT PAGES SO WE KNOW THAT YOU ARE COMING.......................WE'LL KEEP THE LIGHT ON FOR YA!!! :D :D :D

SEE YOU THERE!

THE SPLASHES & THE GEO OCOTILLO CAMPOUT CREW

For those of you that can't wait for the campout come join me for Ocotillo Wells Fall CITO. It will be a great chance to hide some caches before the event and with that said here is a note from Jeff about placing caching in the park

"Well, it turns out that one of our resource projects is requiring us to remove the Tamarix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarix) trees/bushes from all of our washes within the park. The contractor has been working for the last two weeks on this 4 yearlong project to remove this invasive species and has already found many caches that have been hidden within these trees/bushes! The contractor has re-hidden the caches in the nearby rocks and native vegetation. Would you be able to help me spread the word that from now on hiding a cache in tamarix is not such a good idea, and that if you have one hidden within tamarix already, you might want to move it?" :D

Anything in the planning stages for the week between Xmas and New Years? We will be visiting San Diego that week :D . Hobbithiker & GrumpyBear (also from Reno) are going to be down there at the same time. We are planning to meet up for a day of caching. If anyone from the area is interested in showing us around, that would be awesome! On that note, I have cached with John (of Jahoadi & John fame) in the past....I'm not sure we could keep up!

:ph34r:

:lol:

GEO-OCOTILLO IS COMING UP FAST.................NOV. 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ..........AT SKILLET'S PLACE IN OCOTILLO WELLS.

This is obviously is the dessert location for the "Occupy Wallstreet" movement, not sure about protest signs, but the chanting is probably something like "what do we want... CACHES, when do we want them.... NOV 11th, 12th, and 13th!" The major different seems to be this group seems to have clear direction and good bathroom facilities.

Anything in the planning stages for the week between Xmas and New Years? We will be visiting San Diego that week :D . Hobbithiker & GrumpyBear (also from Reno) are going to be down there at the same time. We are planning to meet up for a day of caching. If anyone from the area is interested in showing us around, that would be awesome! On that note, I have cached with John (of Jahoadi & John fame) in the past....I'm not sure we could keep up!

:D We certainly can make sure something gets in the planning stages. Just what kind of caching are you interested in? We have "get a 150 caches in a day series", we have "hike til ya drop series". We have "4WD series". We have "bike-n-cache series". You name it we got it.....

Come on Holly ...we're burning daylight......

The North County Cachers have held an event during that week the past two years, and probably will again this year. Here's a link to last year's event: http://coord.info/GC2JT97

Thanks for the info guys! Hey John, I think we were planning on doing mostly urban caching. Jamie has some mobility issues. I'm hoping she'll be feeling better by then. I don't know if we can get Mr.Lost into it. We'll have our truck with us, he might be up for some 4X4 caching. I'll have to put the bug in his ear. He's more likely to cache if we aren't in our area. We'll be heading back north on NYE, so if they have the event a day or so before that would work out! Looking forward to it and seeing you guys!

Let’s talk for minute about excluding people, specifically excluding them from Geocaching Events. We have found HABU to normally be very nice and often friendly, but obviously this was an act, as he has elected to exclude Cat and I from the upcoming “oh thank heaven for eleven, eleven, eleven” event. For those of you who want to quickly jump to his defense, let’s look at the facts first.

To quote his event page “ If you have more than 5111 cache finds bring….., If you have less than 5111 but more than 1111 finds bring ….If you have less than 1111 finds, bring …

As our cache count is exactly 1111, it is quiet obvious his intent.

We don’t have “more than 5111”, we don’t have “more than 1111”, and we don’t have “less than 1111”;

he added these provisions specifically to exclude us from his event due to our pathetic cache count.

We have regarded HABU as a friend, and will not exclude him from the nearby Geo-ocotillo Campout event we help with (Nov 11 – 13) and may even drive by his event to see if anyone shows up, but we fear most cachers will be so offended by his actions as to boycott his event, please don’t. In fact we want to encourage everyone to attend both events, have fun and share in the comradary and fellowship with other geocachers. Don’t worry about us, we will be OK.

Let's talk for minute about excluding people, specifically excluding them from Geocaching Events. We have found HABU to normally be very nice and often friendly, but obviously this was an act, as he has elected to exclude Cat and I from the upcoming "oh thank heaven for eleven, eleven, eleven" event. For those of you who want to quickly jump to his defense, let's look at the facts first.

To quote his event page " If you have more than 5111 cache finds bring….., If you have less than 5111 but more than 1111 finds bring ….If you have less than 1111 finds, bring …"

As our cache count is exactly 1111, it is quiet obvious his intent.

We don't have "more than 5111", we don't have "more than 1111", and we don't have "less than 1111";

he added these provisions specifically to exclude us from his event due to our pathetic cache count.

We have regarded HABU as a friend, and will not exclude him from the nearby Geo-ocotillo Campout event we help with (Nov 11 – 13) and may even drive by his event to see if anyone shows up, but we fear most cachers will be so offended by his actions as to boycott his event, please don't. In fact we want to encourage everyone to attend both events, have fun and share in the comradary and fellowship with other geocachers. Don't worry about us, we will be OK.

When you show up at his event you will log in to it and will have 1112 so you are good to go buy Chocolate

Let's talk for minute ....... Don't worry about us, we will be OK.

When you show up at his event you will log in to it and will have 1112 .....

Sure, from a guy with well over 4570 caches who would never get excluded from an event, unless he forgot to bring YODA. I'm not sure we will be able to suffer the humiliation of actually signing in at an event we were excluded from.

Sure, from a guy with well over 4570 caches who would never get excluded from an event, unless he forgot to bring YODA. I'm not sure we will be able to suffer the humiliation of actually signing in at an event we were excluded from.

I didn't get invited either after reading your post I went to Habu's profile and found the page so as you know I will not be there are at the campout so go for me.:laughing: :laughing:

I didn't get invited either after reading your post I went to Habu's profile and found the page so as you know I will not be there are at the campout so go for me.:laughing: :laughing:

Actually, I thought about this and realized that you weren't invited because you're the honorees! How many cachers have 1111 finds coming up to 11/11? I think he didn't 'invite' you because it was a surprise party in your honor!!! Now you have to be there, right? :anibad:

Actually, I thought about this and realized that you weren't invited because you're the honorees! How many cachers have 1111 finds coming up to 11/11? I think he didn't 'invite' you because it was a surprise party in your honor!!! Now you have to be there, right? :anibad:

Oh, Thank You!! We will probably see you on Sunday at your upcoming event (Meet N Greet 10/23/11 at Round Table Pizza, 10415 Tierrasanta Blvd San Diego, 6PM) but with as slow as Bobby is at logging finds, we will probably still be at 1111 for a while :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi everyone!

New to geocaching... live in National City, work in San Diego, but camping with husband & friends outside Ocatillo this weekend. None of us have done this before, but we are going to give it a try in the Painted Gorge area. Hoping it's fun and something we can continue back in town. Good to see a big San Diego thread. Please wish us luck, and open to any advice you're willing to share!

Sincerely,

Fernando

Hi everyone!

New to geocaching... live in National City, work in San Diego, but camping with husband & friends outside Ocatillo this weekend. None of us have done this before, but we are going to give it a try in the Painted Gorge area. Hoping it's fun and something we can continue back in town. Good to see a big San Diego thread. Please wish us luck, and open to any advice you're willing to share!

Sincerely,

Fernando

fERNANDO,

Welcome to the San Diego Geocaching scene.

If it's advice you want then I can fill you

in on the rascals to watch out for aroung

these parts ... not naming any names as yet.

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Hi everyone!

Sincerely,

Fernando

fERNANDO,

Welcome to the San Diego Geocaching scene.

If it's advice you want then I can fill you

in on the rascals to watch out for aroung

these parts ... not naming any names as yet.

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Welcome Fernando,

First of all, never listen to anything Ol' Harmon has to say!!! :laughing:

Secondly, we're hosting an event tomorrow evening in Tierrasanta. Just a simple meet n greet at the local Round Table Pizza. Attending would be a great way to meet folks and to pick their brains. Hope to see you there!

Meet n Greet Event

Who knows, maybe Harmon will come, too! :grin:

Sue

The Fat Cats

TIME TO START GATHERING INGREDIENTS FOR YOUR AWARD WINNING CHILI .... YUMMY DESSERT ....POKER RUN ....'AWARD WINNING' RAFFLE .....DELUX PORTA POTTIES..... A WEEKEND OF FUN IN THE DEZ! ALSO AN 11/11/11 EVENT ON FRIDAY NIGHT.....

SEE YOU THERE!

Cat and I were out making sure everything was OK at the campout site, and we noticed a suspicious group wandering around. They appeared to be sometimes looking for something and other times hiding something, with no apparent pattern. Perhaps this was just a lost patrol or misguided prostectors , but does anyone else think we should be notifying Homeland Security?

6fb3b682-527a-4fed-bdb6-e297329c3b7c.jpg6a32b00d-59ed-4a53-9b8a-ee0972bd5d14.jpg

TIME TO START GATHERING INGREDIENTS FOR YOUR AWARD WINNING CHILI .... YUMMY DESSERT ....POKER RUN ....'AWARD WINNING' RAFFLE .....DELUX PORTA POTTIES..... A WEEKEND OF FUN IN THE DEZ! ALSO AN 11/11/11 EVENT ON FRIDAY NIGHT.....

SEE YOU THERE!

Cat and I were out making sure everything was OK at the campout site, and we noticed a suspicious group wandering around. They appeared to be sometimes looking for something and other times hiding something, with no apparent pattern. Perhaps this was just a lost patrol or misguided prostectors , but does anyone else think we should be notifying Homeland Security?

6fb3b682-527a-4fed-bdb6-e297329c3b7c.jpg6a32b00d-59ed-4a53-9b8a-ee0972bd5d14.jpg

The Campout Crew

23c0facf-82af-4d3a-9479-e98e73491b04.jpg

They do look like a motley crew don't they. 000203FA.gif Homeland Security might be a good Idea

SEE YOU THERE!

The Campout Crew

They do look like a motley crew don't they. 000203FA.gif Homeland Security might be a good Idea

So why is Jack standing upwind of the crew?

SEE YOU THERE!

Seems that we just couldn't help ourselves...........50 new caches hidden, plus $killet & Fossillady hid 25 more (or so).........:grin: :grin:

KBJ....aka Jack.... knows he's supposed to be standiing 'downwind' at all times! :yikes:

The Splashes:anicute: B)

The Campout Crew

So why is Jack standing upwind of the crew?

Did anyone else notice all the new caches that showed up out at Ocotillo Wells today? THERE MUST CLOSE TO A HUNDRED, time to try go get an FTF? Hope they are still unfound tomorrow, when everyone arrives for the campout/11-11-11/roughneck camo/CITO events

CODE RED: SD Rowdies are standing by for revealing photographs from informants.

Hi SD geocachers,

I am working with several La Mesa committees to set up a geocaching challenge to coincide with La Mesa's centennial next year. We (the City) will be planting caches and discoverable Travel Bugs around the incorporated city and there will be a challenge open to area residents (and maybe East County-ers and beyond if we can get HHSA on board) running from June 2nd to Oktoberfest Sunday.

We will be hosting 2-3 info sessions and are looking for instructors for these. I can personally teach them but am not as savvy with the Smartphone aspect since I use my old Garmin 60 CS. The La Mesa Library has committed to hosting 2 of the events on May 19th and July 21st and there may be an additional one after the Flag Day parade during the community picnic (we will also have a Travel Bug on a parade vehicle for everyone's discovering enjoyment).

If you or someone you know would be willing and able to help present an info session please Email me

Thank you,

--Polly

Hi SD geocachers,

I am working with several La Mesa committees to set up a geocaching challenge to coincide with La Mesa's centennial next year. We (the City) will be planting caches and discoverable Travel Bugs around the incorporated city and there will be a challenge open to area residents (and maybe East County-ers and beyond if we can get HHSA on board) running from June 2nd to Oktoberfest Sunday.

We will be hosting 2-3 info sessions and are looking for instructors for these. I can personally teach them but am not as savvy with the Smartphone aspect since I use my old Garmin 60 CS. The La Mesa Library has committed to hosting 2 of the events on May 19th and July 21st and there may be an additional one after the Flag Day parade during the community picnic (we will also have a Travel Bug on a parade vehicle for everyone's discovering enjoyment).

If you or someone you know would be willing and able to help present an info session please Email me

Thank you,

--Polly

I am going to be in San Diego for this next weekend. I will actually have the day off from work on Sunday, I could do some caches in the Chula Vista area but I would really love to get together with a local cacher and get out of town and look for tupperware in the wilds. Last year I did part of the Otay County Open Spaces area on foot and would love to join someone for a caching adventure.

are there any events next week in the area as well?

my e-mail is capn_cafeen@yahoo.com

It's been a long time since I posted in this thread. Does anyone still use this thread anymore?

Hey, where y' been big guy?

Truth is that FaceBook has destroyed the Forum threads.

So it goes ... and the written language is going down

the pooper with them.

Too soon it will be "Back when I was a boy there were

things we called sentences, paragraphs, letters, and

books."

Roman Empire ... all over again.

Harmon

SD Rowdies

Edited by SD Rowdies