San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

The Rosarito to Ensenada bike ride is September 27th (a Saturday). Register this weekend and get $5 off the registration fee of $35.

Come join me for a challenging but scenic and self-rewarding ride! Plus, there be caches! 4 along the bike route, and about 3 or 4 in Ensenada.

If anyone has a bike they'd like to donate to charity, let me know. I will ride it in the event and present it to the organizers in Ensenada. It should be a multi-speed so I won't have to walk the hills. :anibad:

Cachers that have ridden in the past - and are still alive to talk about it :):D : map4navigation, Toby's Gang, "lostguy", and jahoadi and john.

I use outback-adventures for my transportation needs. I meet them in Balboa Park, and they transport riders and their bikes to Rosarito, and pick us up in Ensenada. They provide a "continental" breakfast, and all you can drink cerveza at the finish. Can't beat that!

I'm all signed up for the bike ride and the bus (6:00 PM return. Is that what you guys got?). I ordered a new passport just because I want to hear the guy say "Your papers please" in a German accent, but that probably won't happen. I even got a new bike...a Gary Fisher hybrid.

I'm really looking forward to those homemade fish tacos (I hope they still make those) and cervezas.

My new ride:

How am I gonna keep up with you on that? Is it new or used? Sure looks new to me. I will sign up today...6pm bus also. Maybe there will be new caches in Ensenada...

There's at least one more new one by Chuy! since the last time I was there.GC1BEBX

Nice bike Jerry. I'd bring my hybrid, but I'll be looking at Jodi's bike offer.

I'll take the 6p bus also. Last April, Ken was still providing the tasty fish tacos, and as always, complimentary Pacifo's and Corona's.

Birth cert and ID (Ca driver license) is acceptable at the border, but expect long delays returning to the US. It may help to bring a DVD player or mp3 player.

Remember, the September ride can be a warm one; hydrate well before the ride and you should be OK with 60 oz of water during the ride.

I got a location hint for that Chaos cache we DNF'ed last time. And I have that new one, Star of the Sea. Also, will be bringing a cache for a location I scouted last time.

If anyone else is thinking of doing this ride, now is the time. I got this in a newsletter today:

"The Rosarito Ensenada 50 Mile Fun Bicycle Ride has enjoyed a history spanning almost 30 years and has been an icon among cycling events around the world. But the decrease in Baja tourism has reduced attendance to about 5,000 riders: our financial break-even point.

We have decided that this next ride on September 27, 2008, will be our last..."

I'm not sure I can sit on a tiny bike seat for 50 miles. I borrowed a bike and rode 22 miles while I was up in Seattle and was walking funny for two days. I don't know how you guys do it.
The Rosarito to Ensenada bike ride is September 27th (a Saturday). Register this weekend and get $5 off the registration fee of $35.

Come join me for a challenging but scenic and self-rewarding ride! Plus, there be caches! 4 along the bike route, and about 3 or 4 in Ensenada.

If anyone has a bike they'd like to donate to charity, let me know. I will ride it in the event and present it to the organizers in Ensenada. It should be a multi-speed so I won't have to walk the hills. :laughing:

Cachers that have ridden in the past - and are still alive to talk about it :P:P : map4navigation, Toby's Gang, "lostguy", and jahoadi and john.

I use outback-adventures for my transportation needs. I meet them in Balboa Park, and they transport riders and their bikes to Rosarito, and pick us up in Ensenada. They provide a "continental" breakfast, and all you can drink cerveza at the finish. Can't beat that!

I'm all signed up for the bike ride and the bus (6:00 PM return. Is that what you guys got?). I ordered a new passport just because I want to hear the guy say "Your papers please" in a German accent, but that probably won't happen. I even got a new bike...a Gary Fisher hybrid.

I'm really looking forward to those homemade fish tacos (I hope they still make those) and cervezas.

My new ride:

How am I gonna keep up with you on that? Is it new or used? Sure looks new to me. I will sign up today...6pm bus also. Maybe there will be new caches in Ensenada...

There's at least one more new one by Chuy! since the last time I was there.GC1BEBX

Nice bike Jerry. I'd bring my hybrid, but I'll be looking at Jodi's bike offer.

I'll take the 6p bus also. Last April, Ken was still providing the tasty fish tacos, and as always, complimentary Pacifo's and Corona's.

Birth cert and ID (Ca driver license) is acceptable at the border, but expect long delays returning to the US. It may help to bring a DVD player or mp3 player.

Remember, the September ride can be a warm one; hydrate well before the ride and you should be OK with 60 oz of water during the ride.

I got a location hint for that Chaos cache we DNF'ed last time. And I have that new one, Star of the Sea. Also, will be bringing a cache for a location I scouted last time.

If anyone else is thinking of doing this ride, now is the time. I got this in a newsletter today:

"The Rosarito Ensenada 50 Mile Fun Bicycle Ride has enjoyed a history spanning almost 30 years and has been an icon among cycling events around the world. But the decrease in Baja tourism has reduced attendance to about 5,000 riders: our financial break-even point.

We have decided that this next ride on September 27, 2008, will be our last..."

I'm not sure I can sit on a tiny bike seat for 50 miles. I borrowed a bike and rode 22 miles while I was up in Seattle and was walking funny for two days. I don't know how you guys do it.

Their decrease in Baja tourism is caused by excessive drug lord control of the country and people are tired of the problem that won't go away down there.

Now with that said there is the Midnight Madness ride tonight down town it is a real fun ride without the kidnappings,murders,car jackings, ect...

:rolleyes:B):) MARK YOUR CALENDARS !!!! :):):)

THE 2008 GEO OCOTILLO CAMPOUT WILL BE ON.......................

NOVEMBER 7, 8, & 9

WE WILL BE AT SKILLET'S PLACE IN OCOTILLO WELLS AGAIN

...........CHILI COOKOFF

...........POKER RUN

...........DESSERT CONTEST

...........RAFFLE WITH VERY COOL PRIZES

.......... :) NEW ~ NIGHT RUN/RALLY :)

...........BONFIRES FRI. & SAT. NIGHT (SKILLET STYLE......AKA ....BIG :) )

...........COME AND CAMP WITH YOUR FRIENDS/GEODOGS/KIDS/CACHERS

...........OH YEAH, MAYBE YOU CAN FIND TIME TO LOOK FOR A FEW CACHES TOO!

More to come later. We'll put a note here when the page comes up next month sometime. If you have time to help out, let us know........(other than chili judges, we seem to always have an over abundance of those......hmm, may have to hold a lottery for that) :)

The Splashes and the Geo Ocotillo Campout Crew

:):):) MARK YOUR CALENDARS !!!! :):):)

THE 2008 GEO OCOTILLO CAMPOUT WILL BE ON.......................

NOVEMBER 7, 8, & 9

WE WILL BE AT SKILLET'S PLACE IN OCOTILLO WELLS AGAIN

...........CHILI COOKOFF

...........POKER RUN

...........DESSERT CONTEST

...........RAFFLE WITH VERY COOL PRIZES

.......... :) NEW ~ NIGHT RUN/RALLY B)

...........BONFIRES FRI. & SAT. NIGHT (SKILLET STYLE......AKA ....BIG :rolleyes: )

...........COME AND CAMP WITH YOUR FRIENDS/GEODOGS/KIDS/CACHERS

...........OH YEAH, MAYBE YOU CAN FIND TIME TO LOOK FOR A FEW CACHES TOO!

More to come later. We'll put a note here when the page comes up next month sometime. If you have time to help out, let us know........(other than chili judges, we seem to always have an over abundance of those......hmm, may have to hold a lottery for that) :)

The Splashes and the Geo Ocotillo Campout Crew

d9476e76-5e2a-4e5e-94f8-1b3c727e8e59.jpg

CITO WILL BE ON THE 8th 0830, more to follow.

After work yesterday I decided to go out caching by myself. Yep, I'm trying to get used to geocaching without halftrack guy (which really isn't easy for me to do). So ... I just finished finding "You Ain't So Hot" and my geo-phone rang. Then I heard the words:

"Hi Mom! It's John."

So much for geocaching without HTG, eh?

:) Here is the long awaited addy! I wonder who will get that first postcard out on it's way! I'm going to ask him, ya know ... and he'll tell me who gets the FTA (First To Arrive).

PVT John S. Leonard

C Company, 4th Platoon Mad Dawgs

3rd Battalion, 60th Infantry Regiment

Fort Jackson, SC 29207

Thanks, again, to all of you who attended halftrack guys event. It meant a great deal to us both.

Edited by boysnbarrie

For those of you interested, we would like to have some of you southern Californians come join us at our 2008/2009 KCC TB Road Race Start Line Event & Taft LP Sprint on October 18, 2008.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d7-b0039bb74c80

Even if you can't make it up for the light pole sprint and start line festivities, we would love to have your bugs in the race and even some of you come down and compete in the sprint.

Please spread the word if you would.

Hello everyone --

da beave(beth) -- Is back in town for the Labor Day weekend. We are going to have a last minute Bonfire tomorrow, Friday at 6pm until 10pm.

Goblin Girl is also back, but for good! Come by say Hi, hang out, get the caches on the Island and hang out some more.

Coords are the middle of the long row of fire rings, we'll be to the right or left (north/south) of the coords. I'll have my white F-250 with pallets, gas and a flare.

It's BYOB, BYO-Food, BYO-Chair, BYO-Dog, BYO-TP, BYO-everything :laughing: . There are Port-o-potties :D:D around the Island.

Fiesta Island N 32° 46.826 W 117° 13.329 -- If you show up early, grab a good fire ring with plenty of parking...

If you have any questions, let me know

SuperDave!

Hello everyone --

da beave(beth) -- Is back in town for the Labor Day weekend. We are going to have a last minute Bonfire tomorrow, Friday at 6pm until 10pm.

Goblin Girl is also back, but for good! Come by say Hi, hang out, get the caches on the Island and hang out some more.

Coords are the middle of the long row of fire rings, we'll be to the right or left (north/south) of the coords. I'll have my white F-250 with pallets, gas and a flare.

It's BYOB, BYO-Food, BYO-Chair, BYO-Dog, BYO-TP, BYO-everything :) . There are Port-o-potties B);) around the Island.

Fiesta Island N 32° 46.826 W 117° 13.329 -- If you show up early, grab a good fire ring with plenty of parking...

If you have any questions, let me know

I read this at 9:30 Friday night sorry a little on the late side :)

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

SuperDave!

Two GC.com events and a meetup.com event this weekend

Tonight 6pm-8pm - GC1FEKE TK7464 Goes over the hill by TK7464 - Peter Piper Pizza, Rancho San Diego.

Sunday 8:45am-9:00am - GC1FT11 Flash Cache Event by SuperDave!, jaredloser and GEO-K9-Betsy!, Balboa Park, Near the Hall of Champions

Sunday 9am -- meetup.com geocachers - Finding all of the Balboa Park Caches - Hall of Champions

GC1G179

Up and running.

Campout page will be up soon. 00020263.gif

Campout page GC1G81H 00020110.gif

for those that may be interested SDORC (San Diego Off Road Coalition) is having a fun run the same weekend of the Campout info HERE 000202C7.gifthey have some really neat prizes

Ocotillo Wells SRVA is also having their desert clean-up on Sun. morning for those that want to help clean a little more before they head home. It includes a BBQ lunch and some great raffle prizes.

GC1G179

Up and running.

for those that may be interested SDORC (San Diego Off Road Coalition) is having a fun run the same weekend of the Campout info HERE 000202C7.gifthey have some really neat prizes

Ocotillo Wells SRVA is also having their desert clean-up on Sun. morning for those that want to help clean a little more before they head home. It includes a BBQ lunch and some great raffle prizes.

HERE IS THE LINK 000201D1.gif

GC1G179

Up and running.

HERE IS THE LINK 000201D1.gif

Hey! Maybe we can get some of our cache containers back!!!

Hey! Maybe we can get some of our cache containers back!!!

No no silly, Ocotillo Wells SVRA is the State Vehicular Recreation Area - they're cool. The commie pinko that stole our caches is Anza Borrego Park Superintendent Mark Jorgensen.

telemetry-smile.jpg

Edited by Chuy!
Saturday I was going caching along sheephead mtn road. Or maybe kitchen crick. If anyone wants to meet up, let me know.

Steve

I might be able to go with you. It will take me an hour to get down there but I could meet you at a local Park&Ride around 8AMish.

Do the Amish geocache? :laughing::laughing::D

The rest stop at buckman springs road around 8 am Saturday would seem like a good choice.

Sounds good to me. It is supposed to a high of only 68 degrees this Saturday. :D

Pat, isn't 8 AM a bit early for you hee hee hee?? :D (P.S. this is John)

It's way better than me waking up at 0430 to get down there by usual 6AM starts you guys always have. I'm a night owl. <_<

It sounds like a fun run. Nobody else wants to come out? I haven't seen a lot of your guys for awhile....

I heard a rumor that there was an old ladder laying near Sandy Creek Cowboy cache #4? Is this true? That cache has been on my to-do list forever...

SuperDave............... checked on it a couple weeks back, the ladder seems to be missing ???

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

The ladder is gone -- still don't know why? who would take a ladder from the middle of nowhere.

This is why you should use a ladder. Don't end up being a loser - <_<:D:D

57f6d7f8-9b64-48e1-8e8b-a1628b80a992.jpg

I heard a rumor that there was an old ladder laying near Sandy Creek Cowboy cache #4? Is this true? That cache has been on my to-do list forever...

SuperDave............... checked on it a couple weeks back, the ladder seems to be missing ???

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

The ladder is gone -- still don't know why? who would take a ladder from the middle of nowhere.

This is why you should use a ladder. Don't end up being a loser - :P:D:D

Thanks. Is he smiling because that cache was just that good?

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

This is why you should use a ladder. Don't end up being a loser - :P:D:D

Thanks. Is he smiling because that cache was just that good?

Because I was taking his picture to post everywhere on the forums, just to embarrass :anicute::anicute: him for dragging me to the hospital at 11pm-- :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Just wondering what the Palomar Divide road is like? Looks like fun and a possible run soon?

Robyn

It's a fun run, but it would be duck soup for you, Robyn. Duganrm drove his '66 Mustang when we did it... :D

Robyn..............Just say when................... I would like to go, and I know there would be a few others

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Just wondering what the Palomar Divide road is like? Looks like fun and a possible run soon?

Robyn

It's a fun run, but it would be duck soup for you, Robyn. Duganrm drove his '66 Mustang when we did it... :D

Robyn..............Just say when................... I would like to go, and I know there would be a few others

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

The southern half of that run up to the lookout tower is great though quite easy.

You Jeepers won't be challenged one bit 'cause it's 2WD all the way. The northern

half beyond the tower is pretty blah and no Geocaches. Ruined a tire on the

northern section due to plentiful sharp rocks. Very expensive tire too.

There's a few caches up that way that are on a hiking trail rather than the road.

The neat part is that you are able to look down on the Palomar telescopes. Ain't

that weird? Seems like they put the observatory on the wrong mountain.

There's a gate on the final approach to the tower so you have to walk about a

quarter mile.

Make sure to stop and do the hide at the little chapel that you pass before coming

to Palomar Divide Road. Make sure to go inside the chapel to see it. Say A little

prayer while you're in there 'cause y'all gonna die.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Robyn

It's a fun run, but it would be duck soup for you, Robyn. Duganrm drove his '66 Mustang when we did it... :(

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

The southern half of that run up to the lookout tower is great though quite easy.

You Jeepers won't be challenged one bit 'cause it's 2WD all the way. The northern

There's a few caches up that way that are on a hiking trail rather than the road.

The neat part is that you are able to look down on the Palomar telescopes. Ain't

quarter mile.

Make sure to stop and do the hide at the little chapel that you pass before coming

to Palomar Divide Road. Make sure to go inside the chapel to see it.

It may be doable with 2WD, but you should probably have a high clearance vehicle. We did the run in our Honda Pilot a few months ago and managed to rip off the protective cover on the bottom of it. I think we were probably just unlucky and caught the front on one of those sharp rocks.

As we didn't make any caching stops along the way, I would love to go back there if the timing is right and if anyone has space. :blink::D:o

Robyn

It's a fun run, but it would be duck soup for you, Robyn. Duganrm drove his '66 Mustang when we did it... :(

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

quarter mile.

to Palomar Divide Road. Make sure to go inside the chapel to see it. Say A little

prayer while you're in there 'cause y'all gonna die.

It may be doable with 2WD, but you should probably have a high clearance vehicle. We did the run in our Honda Pilot a few months ago and managed to rip off the protective cover on the bottom of it. I think we were probably just unlucky and caught the front on one of those sharp rocks.

As we didn't make any caching stops along the way, I would love to go back there if the timing is right and if anyone has space. :blink::D:o

Yep, y'all gonna die.

Robyn

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

I was hoping someone would ask!!! How does Saturday sound? The hubby will be at the Santee Open House, so looks like I just might have the day available.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller :grin:

Robyn

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

I was hoping someone would ask!!! How does Saturday sound? The hubby will be at the Santee Open House, so looks like I just might have the day available.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller :grin:

Robyn......TDBEAN and I will go

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Robyn

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller ;)

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Are you guys going to hike down to get all the caches on the Barker Trail? If so, I might go! :grin:

Robyn

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Are you guys going to hike down to get all the caches on the Barker Trail? If so, I might go! :grin:

Not to sure.......... wasnt planing on a long hike, I was thinking of more of a....... Jeep........ grab and go,

with maybe a few short hikes to grab a cache ......but hey !! I easy, what ever everyone else would like to do ???

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Robyn

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Not to sure.......... wasnt planing on a long hike, I was thinking of more of a....... Jeep........ grab and go,

with maybe a few short hikes to grab a cache ......but hey !! I easy, what ever everyone else would like to do ???

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Hey no problem.

Robyn

I went up to the first of the Fat Cats and kwvers series a month ago in the car and it was pretty good. Only hit bottom once but then I have no clearance. It would be a great road for a run but this time I'll use the Jeep. We have only had one day of rain here since then. I work 3 miles from the start of the road.

Robyn

It's a fun run, but it would be duck soup for you, Robyn. Duganrm drove his '66 Mustang when we did it... :huh:

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller :P

What time and where do you plan on meeting up? May be able to make if I don't go to the Desert. 00020166.gif

Robyn

It's a fun run, but it would be duck soup for you, Robyn. Duganrm drove his '66 Mustang when we did it... B)

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller :lol:

What time and where do you plan on meeting up? May be able to make if I don't go to the Desert. 00020166.gif

Sorry - can't make it Saturday :P It's the Poway band tournament. :huh:

Time is getting short. Those that are bringing Chili or a Dessert need to let us know (planning).

Those that have something to donate for the Raffle, again let us know so we can post it on the Event page.

Three Port a potties are on order.

6th annual Geo Ocotillo Campout Contact any of the Campout out crew listed on the Event page to get your Entry/Donation added to the page. 000201F9.gif

Robyn

It's a fun run, but it would be duck soup for you, Robyn. Duganrm drove his '66 Mustang when we did it... :huh:

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

How about 7:00 a.m. at the Ramona Cafe for breakfast, or 9:00 a.m. at GCQ1AF White Matter. Hey Pat, what if we promise a few new caches along the trail to beta test? Depending on how hot it is, the hiking caches sound doable. There might be a few that would like to hike, and a few that would rather stay in the air-conditioned vehicles!

Robyn

Please sound off if you'd like to join us for breakfast. The table always seems to get longer and longer!

Robyn

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

How about 7:00 a.m. at the Ramona Cafe for breakfast, or 9:00 a.m. at GCQ1AF White Matter. Hey Pat, what if we promise a few new caches along the trail to beta test? Depending on how hot it is, the hiking caches sound doable. There might be a few that would like to hike, and a few that would rather stay in the air-conditioned vehicles!

Robyn

Please sound off if you'd like to join us for breakfast. The table always seems to get longer and longer!

I'm in! 7am at the Ramona Cafe.

Robyn

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Robyn

I'm in! 7am at the Ramona Cafe.

Shelby and I will see you at the Cafe at 7:00

Hey Pat, what if we promise a few new caches along the trail to beta test? Depending on how hot it is, the hiking caches sound doable. There might be a few that would like to hike, and a few that would rather stay in the air-conditioned vehicles!

Robyn

Hi Robyn,

The weather is going to be cool on Saturday just like it was last week.

That's the reason I've come out of hibernation. :huh:

c283115b-f8a1-4a7b-baa0-3bf28b3ba590.jpg

I checked out the cache map and there are a bunch of new caches before the Barker trailhead since I was there last. I've done the three caches after the Barker trailhead (upper left on map), but the lookout tower is well worth another visit. I would like to hike down to get the three caches I don't have on the Barker trail. Note the partially covered up star on the Barker trail is my Close Encounters cache. :P There are six caches on the Barker trail. I think it's about 3-4 miles round trip to get them all.

7c1240ac-83b6-4c24-8ddd-684e6853f730.jpg

Edited by TrailGators

Robyn

Looking at the maps, I'm wondering if we can head out after Palomar Divide Road on Doane Valley, hit Nate Harrison Road, then to Old Cole Grade Road. How does that sound? Is it doable?

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Robyn

P.S. I'll be swinging by Costco to pick up some lock-n-locks. Should be a fruitful day!