San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Watch "Lonesome Dove" again and see what a Texan will do when his partner dies.

You mean like letting the birds nibble on poor ol' Gus? :anicute:

:D

P.S. That is one of my all-time favorite books. :D

Yeah, let birds nibble on him and then drag his carcass from Montana to Texas on a travoi.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Since the weather may not be cooperating for another go at MTRP this weekend I'd like to head out to Ocotillo Wells. Skillet has blessed us again with an enormous number of new caches.

The cache run I'd like to do is to head out to the Jet Engine cache. Anybody who'd like to join me is welcome. I will probably head out around 7am from the Rancho Penasquitos area.

Dave

If anyone wants to go halfs ($100) on a Pop-up tent trailer, for the CITO camp-out event, let me know. I'll haul it there; shoot, you can carpool with me and Ginger! if you want. We're planning out heading out there Friday early afternoon, Lakeside to Ramona to Santa Ysabel to Borrego Springs to Skillet's place, and departing Sunday noon'ish.

8.0.jpg

Edited by Chuy!

Map4navigation, Ginger! and I are planning a trip up the south side of Mt Miguel.

We will meet at 0700 at Gateway #2, GC18A9T, N32 40.400 W116 56.503 .

Mrs Chuy! may join us, Lulu499 is also interested.

Come one, come all!

Saturday, I presume??

Edited by Duncan!

Map4navigation, Ginger! and I are planning a trip up the south side of Mt Miguel.

We will meet at 0700 at Gateway #2, GC18A9T, N32 40.400 W116 56.503 .

Mrs Chuy! may join us, Lulu499 is also interested.

Come one, come all!

Saturday, I presume??

Oops, Sorry, Sunday AM.

Is anybody interesting in hiking in Spring Canyon Saturday morning? I'm not an early bird, so I would prefer to meet at the trailhead on Mast blvd around 9AM. I'm still rehabbing my knee so I can't go nuts on distance, but I plan on hiking 6-7 miles roundtrip. Anyhow, let me know! :huh:

23cf2a84-d04a-400e-bd58-ff32b4619fab.jpg

Here is a recent photo of Splashette looking at the poppys in upper Spring Canyon.

Edited by TrailGators

Is anybody interesting in hiking in Spring Canyon Saturday morning? I'm not an early bird, so I would prefer to meet at the trailhead on Mast blvd around 9AM. I'm still rehabbing my knee so I can't go nuts on distance, but I plan on hiking out 3 to 4 miles and then heading back. Anyhow, let me know! :huh:

23cf2a84-d04a-400e-bd58-ff32b4619fab.jpg

Here is a recent photo of Splashette looking at the poppys in upper Spring Canyon.

Attaboy Pat. See details for the poppy-hike on the "This just in" thread.

...I'm still rehabbing my knee so I can't go nuts on distance, but I plan on hiking 6-7 miles roundtrip...

Not nuts.. only 7 miles? :laughing:

Glad to see you getting out again... I can't make it myself, but sounds like a nice hike.

Paul

The logs I've been reading show that most people have been hiking 8-13 miles when they do that area. Actually Harmon said what I want to do is only about 6 miles. So at a leisurely pace that shouldn't be too bad at all. ;)

...I'm still rehabbing my knee so I can't go nuts on distance, but I plan on hiking 6-7 miles roundtrip...

Not nuts.. only 7 miles? :laughing:

Glad to see you getting out again... I can't make it myself, but sounds like a nice hike.

Paul

The logs I've been reading show that most people have been hiking 8-13 miles when they do that area. Actually Harmon said what I want to do is only about 6 miles. So at a leisurely pace that shouldn't be too bad at all. ;)

Those longer mileages come from hiking the ridges. Make sure to reset your GPS odometer

at the parking lot.

Edited by SD Rowdies
LuLu and I are going to meet at 7:00 Saturday (tomorrow) and get some of the caches in MTRP between Mesa Road and the 125. We are meeting at 32 49.435 117 00.948 Please come join us!

GreasePot

Just saw on the news that there are two mountain lions in MTRP. As close as the visitor center loop, so be careful. They said if you see one do not run and make yourself look large by putting up your arms above your head. Have fun. <_<:anitongue::unsure:

I'll leave my 12 pound Daisy-dawg "snack" at home <_<

LuLu and I are going to meet at 7:00 Saturday (tomorrow) and get some of the caches in MTRP between Mesa Road and the 125. We are meeting at 32 49.435 117 00.948 Please come join us!

GreasePot

Just saw on the news that there are two mountain lions in MTRP. As close as the visitor center loop, so be careful. They said if you see one do not run and make yourself look large by putting up your arms above your head. Have fun. :unsure::anitongue::grin:

I'll leave my 12 pound Daisy-dawg "snack" at home <_<

GreasePot

Just saw on the news that there are two mountain lions in MTRP. As close as the visitor center loop, so be careful. They said if you see one do not run and make yourself look large by putting up your arms above your head. Have fun. :unsure::anitongue::grin:

GreasePot

Just saw on the news that there are two mountain lions in MTRP. As close as the visitor center loop, so be careful. They said if you see one do not run and make yourself look large by putting up your arms above your head. Have fun. :grin::anitongue::blink:

They won't attack two people together, but they might attack one TrailGator hiking by himself in Spring Canyon. <_< Those darn poppies better be worth it Harmon! :unsure: Edited by TrailGators

GreasePot

Just saw on the news that there are two mountain lions in MTRP. As close as the visitor center loop, so be careful. They said if you see one do not run and make yourself look large by putting up your arms above your head. Have fun. :grin::anitongue::blink:

They won't attack two people together, but they might attack one TrailGator hiking by himself in Spring Canyon. <_< Those darn poppies better be worth it Harmon! :unsure:

Tabasco sauce!

GreasePot

Just saw on the news that there are two mountain lions in MTRP. As close as the visitor center loop, so be careful. They said if you see one do not run and make yourself look large by putting up your arms above your head. Have fun. :blink::anitongue::grin:

They won't attack two people together, but they might attack one TrailGator hiking by himself in Spring Canyon. <_< Those darn poppies better be worth it Harmon! :grin:

Tabasco sauce!

I don't have any Tabasco sauce... :unsure: Edited by TrailGators

GreasePot

Just saw on the news that there are two mountain lions in MTRP. As close as the visitor center loop, so be careful. They said if you see one do not run and make yourself look large by putting up your arms above your head. Have fun. :unsure:<_<:anitongue:

The ladies will not be anywhere near the visitor's center loop. They'll be a few miles SE of there behind Grossmont College.

But thanks for the heads up; I still have several to grab up by the dump.

We be Jeepin' GC19WPG

The start point for the run is about 11 miles up S2 from the 8. Because the Ramona Café is small and after talking with the Splashes. Those South County folks that want to save some time and gas we will be meeting at the Denny's on Los Coches Rd at 0630 and then convoying out to the starting point for the run , meeting the other group there about 0900.

Please post a note here as to where you will be going for Breakfast so the Splashes can tell the Ramona Café how many will be there.

GreasePot

Just saw on the news that there are two mountain lions in MTRP. As close as the visitor center loop, so be careful. They said if you see one do not run and make yourself look large by putting up your arms above your head. Have fun. :unsure::DB)

They won't attack two people together, but they might attack one TrailGator hiking by himself in Spring Canyon. ;) Those darn poppies better be worth it Harmon! B)

Tabasco sauce!

I don't have any Tabasco sauce... :D

Y'all gonna die!

GreasePot

Just saw on the news that there are two mountain lions in MTRP. As close as the visitor center loop, so be careful. They said if you see one do not run and make yourself look large by putting up your arms above your head. Have fun. B);):D

They won't attack two people together, but they might attack one TrailGator hiking by himself in Spring Canyon. B) Those darn poppies better be worth it Harmon! :D

Tabasco sauce!

I don't have any Tabasco sauce... :P

Y'all gonna die!

I survived! :P I actually found a tiny bottle of Tabasco sauce in one of the caches and so I traded for it! :unsure: My hike ended up being a little over 6 miles and ~1000 feet of vertical. It was a beautiful day!

5f84ec8f-648c-4b89-a9c1-aee7a0f98900.jpg

b672b604-5cb8-42e3-b511-154d50b74f4d.jpg

GreasePot

Just saw on the news that there are two mountain lions in MTRP. As close as the visitor center loop, so be careful. They said if you see one do not run and make yourself look large by putting up your arms above your head. Have fun. B):P:P

They won't attack two people together, but they might attack one TrailGator hiking by himself in Spring Canyon. :D Those darn poppies better be worth it Harmon! :P

Tabasco sauce!

I don't have any Tabasco sauce... B)

Y'all gonna die!

I survived! :unsure: I actually found a tiny bottle of Tabasco sauce in one of the caches and so I traded for it! ;) My hike ended up being a little over 6 miles and ~1000 feet of vertical. It was a beautiful day!

5f84ec8f-648c-4b89-a9c1-aee7a0f98900.jpg

b672b604-5cb8-42e3-b511-154d50b74f4d.jpg

Hah! Janie and I saw that well-aged bottle of Tabasco. She made the same remark about being

able to find Tabasco along the trail in case of attack from Mountain Lions. Would a Mountain Lion

wait for you to sign a Geocaching log before attacking? If not would it still count as a find?

At least now everybody will believe me about using Tabasco to ward off Mountain Lions, it worked

for you by golly. ... hot stuff in your pants pocket is a good thang. :D

Edited by SD Rowdies

Sunday 7AM hike to Viejas Mtn.

Primariy cache: Tax Freedom Cache.

Best place to park: N32 51.400 W116 44.530 - you need an Adventure Pass.

The webpage says to call the Forest Service to see if the trail is open. I called and they say they don't maintain that trail. And the person answering the phone wasn't sure if an Adventure Pass is required; the webpage says yes.

I have room for two and have an extra Adventure Pass. Meet at Lake Jennings park n ride, N32 50.765 W116 52.875 @ 0630.

1.5 miles each way with about 1600 elevation gain.

Two trips ago, when I knew I'd be alone, early in the morning, I took this Tabasco sauce with

me. It is indeed good to have something hot in your pants--just in case. :) It doesn't taste

good, but it is effective.

4ac7960c-2b66-4239-a4f6-115ac4b405cf.jpg

Was that a pistol in your pocket or ...?

Edited by SD Rowdies

The webpage says to call the Forest Service to see if the trail is open. I called and they say they don't maintain that trail. And the person answering the phone wasn't sure if an Adventure Pass is required; the webpage says yes.

I have room for two and have an extra Adventure Pass. Meet at Lake Jennings park n ride, N32 50.765 W116 52.875 @ 0630.

Change of plans.

Since no one responded they can make the Viejas hike, I will proceed to MTRP for an FTF attempt at Paaayday atop kwaywaay Peak.

I will go to Lake Jennings park and ride regardless at 0630 and proceed from there to MTRP and park across from the campground at N32 50.341 W117 02.050. Should be there by 0650. TripleCrown is in for this hike; we will wait till about 0700 then hit the trial.

Change of plans.

Since no one responded they can make the Viejas hike, I will proceed to MTRP for an FTF attempt at Paaayday atop kwaywaay Peak.

I will go to Lake Jennings park and ride regardless at 0630 and proceed from there to MTRP and park across from the campground at N32 50.341 W117 02.050. Should be there by 0650. TripleCrown is in for this hike; we will wait till about 0700 then hit the trial.

:) Darn, I wish we whould have seen this change. We didn't need to go to Viejas, but we might have gone to kwaywaay peak. Oh well, we slept in! :)

:) Darn, I wish we whould have seen this change. We didn't need to go to Viejas, but we might have gone to kwaywaay peak. Oh well, we slept in! :)

When I got up at 0600, I realized I hadn't "sprung forward"; it was actually 0700 B) .

Met up with Triple Crown at 0745 and still grabbed the FTF :) .

Will try Viejas another day. BTW Map4navigation challenged me to drop some up there 'for him'. :)

Change of plans.

:huh: Darn, I wish we whould have seen this change. We didn't need to go to Viejas, but we might have gone to kwaywaay peak. Oh well, we slept in! :)

John sounded like he just work up when I called. I hope I didn't interrupt anything . . . :unsure::blink:

And this from someone who is always concerned about "burnin' daylight" ?

Edited by Snake & Rooster

Change of plans.

:) Darn, I wish we whould have seen this change. We didn't need to go to Viejas, but we might have gone to kwaywaay peak. Oh well, we slept in! :D

John sounded like he just work up when I called. I hope I didn't interrupt anything . . . :unsure::blink:

:D Snake..you did interrupt something: I was outside pulling weeds and John was inside watching NASCAR. He was mad at me because he had to get out of his Lazy Boy to come find me! :huh:

PS..sleeping in means 0600 instead of 0530.

Edited by jahoadi and john

Change of plans.

:) Darn, I wish we whould have seen this change. We didn't need to go to Viejas, but we might have gone to kwaywaay peak. Oh well, we slept in! :D

:D Snake..you did interrupt something: I was outside pulling weeds and John was inside watching NASCAR. He was mad at me because he had to get out of his Lazy Boy to come find me! :huh:

PS..sleeping in means 0600 instead of 0530.

0530! My gosh woman, don't you know that sloth is a sin? :wacko:

Is anyone planning on going on any moderate difficulty scenic hikes where I don't have to get up too early this weekend? :rolleyes:

Not me. I'm not hiking too far yet.

MM, you got it worse than I do. You have four screws holding you together and I only have two. It's great to get back out again. It has really greened up around here and it's not hot yet. :blink:

Is anyone planning on going on any moderate difficulty scenic hikes where I don't have to get up too early this weekend? :)

MM, you got it worse than I do. You have four screws holding you together and I only have two. It's great to get back out again. It has really greened up around here and it's not hot yet. :rolleyes:

The San Diego National Wildlife Refuge Planning Event is this Saturday morning. Are you going? After that I can join you for whatever kind of a hike you want to do.

Is anyone planning on going on any moderate difficulty scenic hikes where I don't have to get up too early this weekend? :)

MM, you got it worse than I do. You have four screws holding you together and I only have two. It's great to get back out again. It has really greened up around here and it's not hot yet. :rolleyes:

The San Diego National Wildlife Refuge Planning Event is this Saturday morning. Are you going? After that I can join you for whatever kind of a hike you want to do.

I didn't know anything about it. I'll see you there! :D Edited by TrailGators

bugrh9.gif Is it time for the We Be Jeepin event? I have a clean jeep and I'm ready to use it. This is really buggin me...

I am suppose to clean the jeep? :)

Naw, don't bother. I'll just get this uncontrollable roosting urge... AGAIN

Edited by habu!

bugrh9.gif Is it time for the We Be Jeepin event? I have a clean jeep and I'm ready to use it. This is really buggin me...

I am suppose to clean the jeep? ;)

I have seen the pic's from the last desert event you guys where on , lets keep all 4 tires

on the ground this time LOL !!!! ;)

I have seen the pic's from the last desert event you guys where on , lets keep all 4 tires

bugrh9.gifbugrh9.gifbugrh9.gif

bugrh9.gif

How do I get these bugs off my computer screenbugrh9.gifbugrh9.gif

0002006E.gif

I've added a Tera-Flex disconnect to my caching tool. Hopefully it will aid in keeping at least one more tire on the road!