San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

The name of the show is misleading. The idea is just to geocache with someone else's wife. It's a family show. Plus you get $20K for doing it....

There's no way $20K is going to cover the damages if Ms. LLOT found out that I volunteered...and besides where am I going to find a kid between the ages of 6 and 17?

Anyway, I've already been geocaching with someone else's wife. And someone else's husband. And someone else's kids. And even someone else's dog.

:) And somone else's girlfriend, and someone else's mother, and someone else's grandfather, and......... :)

The name of the show is misleading. The idea is just to geocache with someone else's wife. It's a family show. Plus you get $20K for doing it....

There's no way $20K is going to cover the damages if Ms. LLOT found out that I volunteered...and besides where am I going to find a kid between the ages of 6 and 17?

Anyway, I've already been geocaching with someone else's wife. And someone else's husband. And someone else's kids. And even someone else's dog.

I still have one kid that still qualifies but nobody in my family likes geocaching except me. I'm sure we have some caching families in SD that could do it... Edited by TrailGators
We'll be making an attempt on the trestle, GC219B, on Friday Dec 7th.

Likely to show up:

Map4Navigation

Duncan!

Sled Head

Flagman

Chuy!

Maybe:

SuperDave!

We're planning an 0730 departure from Lakeside area. No worries if you can't make it that early, we'll cache along the way till we're able to meet up at Mortero Palms parking area at N32 43.200 W116 08.800 , say 0930'ish, and return not too much past nightfall.

Lesson learned from the prior expedition: leave Ginger! at home. How's Piglit by the way? Ginger! sends her best wishes.

:anicute:I'm so bummed you are going on a FRIDAY. I thought it was Sat ?? I can't ditch work. Will you save your tracks and if anyone else goes later in the year on a normal day will you let me know????? r/jodi

:anicute:I'm so bummed you are going on a FRIDAY. I thought it was Sat ?? I can't ditch work. Will you save your tracks and if anyone else goes later in the year on a normal day will you let me know????? r/jodi

It won't be this year, but I'll probably be going sometime soon (Jan/Feb?). I've already been out there before but that was pre-geocaching...

ThePolarBear and I plan on heading out there on the weekend of Jan 19, 20. This is just a guess on a date though, we will have to wait untill we get closer to January to make sure. But all are more then welcome to come with us on this teck.

:mad:I'm so bummed you are going on a FRIDAY. I thought it was Sat ?? I can't ditch work. Will you save your tracks and if anyone else goes later in the year on a normal day will you let me know????? r/jodi

It won't be this year, but I'll probably be going sometime soon (Jan/Feb?). I've already been out there before but that was pre-geocaching...

ThePolarBear and I plan on heading out there on the weekend of Jan 19, 20. This is just a guess on a date though, we will have to wait untill we get closer to January to make sure. But all are more then welcome to come with us on this teck.

Why Jan 19/20 you might ask??? - It's full moon week and the Ghost Lights of Anza Borrego only appears on moonless nights. You better believe everything you find on the net :laughing:

Edited by ThePolarBear
:mad:I'm so bummed you are going on a FRIDAY. I thought it was Sat ?? I can't ditch work. Will you save your tracks and if anyone else goes later in the year on a normal day will you let me know????? r/jodi

Why Jan 19/20 you might ask??? - It's full moon week and the Ghost Lights of Anza Borrego only appears on moonless nights. You better believe everything you find on the net :laughing:

Just watched the video, and if I'm not on call for my work , I would like to do this.

That was a cool video. I have been to the trestle once and to the mud caves many times. I was even the adopted owner of the original cache at the trestle. I passed it off to Gecko Dad when I left California.

<_<I'm so bummed you are going on a FRIDAY. I thought it was Sat ?? I can't ditch work. Will you save your tracks and if anyone else goes later in the year on a normal day will you let me know????? r/jodi

Why Jan 19/20 you might ask??? - It's full moon week and the Ghost Lights of Anza Borrego only appears on moonless nights. You better believe everything you find on the net :anitongue:

That was a cool video. I have been to the trestle once and to the mud caves many times. I was even the adopted owner of the original cache at the trestle. I passed it off to Gecko Dad when I left California.

That's one of the 10 that I need to complete the SD Historic caches! I can't wait! :unsure:

Updated list for the Trestle hike, trestle, GC219B, this Friday, Dec 7th.

Likely to hike:

Map4Navigation

Sled Head

Auld Pro

Duncan!

Flagman

Habu!

Chuy!

Maybe:

SuperDave!

CTYankee9

We're planning an 0730 departure from Lakeside area. No worries if you can't make it that early, we'll cache along the way till we're able to meet up at Mortero Palms parking area at N32 43.200 W116 08.800 , say 0930'ish, and return not too much past nightfall.

I have Garmin tracks for the asking. If you use Magellan, Delorme or other GPS device, I can forward the NG TOPO tpo file and you can use GPS Visualizer to convert the TOPO tracks to your needs.

Edited by Chuy!

Here's a topo view of the area.

The caches I'd like to visit, in order of preference (for logistical purposes):

GCH7VG, Carrizo Gorge - Goat Canyon Trestle

GC219B, Dos Hombres - "The Worlds Longest Curved Trestle"

GC250F, Jacumba 3446

GC2820, Jacumba Scramble (if we have the time and legs)

Anything else will be gravy.

487ae133-dfe0-4513-b322-cacb1449e620.jpg

B)I'm so bummed you are going on a FRIDAY. I thought it was Sat ?? I can't ditch work. Will you save your tracks and if anyone else goes later in the year on a normal day will you let me know????? r/jodi

Why Jan 19/20 you might ask??? - It's full moon week and the Ghost Lights of Anza Borrego only appears on moonless nights. You better believe everything you find on the net :lol:

Dude..... B) You didn't say anything about 7ft Skeletons B) ....I may have to rethink this trip.

Edited by Eric and Hill

Oh no, there a chance of rain forecasted for next weekend. We'll see if it hits the desert.

I would like to participate in the adventure . . . if the weather cooperates . . . however. . .

e6b9e6a6-472e-49f5-9b3d-a5c312ec2eb6.jpg

and this is for El Centro . . .

9e546e28-baa9-4a26-8f86-5055cbef2cb4.jpg

Looks like a pretty big storm . . . :lol:

Since when does a little rain stop the Geocaching adventure! Put them parka's on get ready to get muddy!

B)I'm so bummed you are going on a FRIDAY. I thought it was Sat ?? I can't ditch work. Will you save your tracks and if anyone else goes later in the year on a normal day will you let me know????? r/jodi
Why Jan 19/20 you might ask??? - It's full moon week and the Ghost Lights of Anza Borrego only appears on moonless nights. You better believe everything you find on the net :lol:

Another another video on the Ghost Lights...

"Don't mock the Ghost Light!"

Time for a road trip! Let's all go to Vegas for this event...

I've already RSVP'ed and I heard somewhere that Marko Ramius might even be there, so you won't want to miss it! The REAL mucky mucks from the Lily Pond are coming down, so here's your chance to put in your $.02 on changing those silly Guidelines (wouldn't you just LOVE to really BURY a cache some day?!?)...

Cross-referencing this thread...

Edited by FlagMan

I've already RSVP'ed and I heard somewhere that Marko Ramius might even be there, so you won't want to miss it! The REAL mucky mucks from the Lily Pond are coming down, so here's your chance to put in your $.02 on changing those silly Guidelines (wouldn't you just LOVE to really BURY a cache some day?!?)...

I'm already down for the event. How about a road trip? There are a lot of caches along the way. I even remember a "Splash" of caches along the way...

Edited by habu!
Oh no, there a chance of rain forecasted for next weekend. We'll see if it hits the desert.

Rain, rain, go away. Don't rain on Saturday.

That's the night of the 3rd Annual Christmas Lights Geo Walk.

Yesterday it was 60% chance of rain for Friday. Today, it's down to 40% and for before 10a

"Friday: A 40 percent chance of showers, mainly before 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 61. West southwest wind between 17 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. "

I'm still in.

Yesterday it was 60% chance of rain for Friday. Today, it's down to 40% and for before 10a

"Friday: A 40 percent chance of showers, mainly before 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 61. West southwest wind between 17 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. "

I'm still in.

I'll be there.

Oh Yeah, I have room for two in my truck with gear if anyone is interested in car-pooling or would rather not take their car the last four miles over the desert track to the trail-head.

Edited by CTYankee9

I'm still in.

I'm still planning on it. Probably meet you at the trailhead...

I'm still in.

You might want to stay out of the washes . . . :D It could get exciting out there. :(

4ca565d3-8f6b-4377-9957-2253d4665cb6.jpg

Have fun and be careful!

I'm still in.

Latest forcast is now up to 80%:

"Friday: Periods of rain, mainly before 10am. High near 66. Windy, with a west wind between 20 and 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%."

I'm still in.

"Friday: Periods of rain, mainly before 10am. High near 66. Windy, with a west wind between 20 and 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%."

Weather people must have easy jobs since they don't have to be right! :(

I'm still in.

Rain in 45mph wind....... sounds fun!

I'm checking NOAA for Ocotillo, CA, the closest city:

"Friday: A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 64. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 16 to 19 mph increasing to between 26 and 29 mph. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph"

We'll give it a shot and see what happens. I've got Friday off anyways, so, we'll be caching somewhere.

I'm checking NOAA for Ocotillo, CA, the closest city:

"Friday: A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 64. Breezy, with a west southwest wind 16 to 19 mph increasing to between 26 and 29 mph. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph"

We'll give it a shot and see what happens. I've got Friday off anyways, so, we'll be caching somewhere.

I'll be out to Ocotillo Wells about noon, Still about 12 FTF out there. of course if it's raining things could get muddy. But what the heck it's the desert. 000201B9.gif 00020187.gif

Yep, it's that time of the year! The 3rd Annual Christmas Lights Geo-Walk is set for Saturday, December 8th. Hope to see you all there!

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid :D

Don't forget about Saturday night! Come rain or shine, we will be there. If a little rain dampens your spirit, come anyway, stay in your car, sign the log, grab a few goodies, and drive the course! Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Robyn & Kathy :(

I'm already down for the event. How about a road trip? There are a lot of caches along the way. I even remember a "Splash" of caches along the way...

Shameless bump!

Yep, it's that time of the year! The 3rd Annual Christmas Lights Geo-Walk is set for Saturday, December 8th. Hope to see you all there!

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid :rolleyes:

Don't forget about Saturday night! Come rain or shine, we will be there. If a little rain dampens your spirit, come anyway, stay in your car, sign the log, grab a few goodies, and drive the course! Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Robyn & Kathy :unsure:

I will be there, and I will be bringing Hill with me too!

Would anyone know if Gower Peak, southeast of Ramona is open to hiking? I was thinking of doing the caches on it Tuesday morning the 11th, also if it is open and any of the owners of the caches that may have been damaged in the fire want them replaced/fixed-up, let me know. If I do hike it I will bring some small replacement caches with me to keep the spots until the owner can get back out there to put it back to the way it was.

Would anyone know if Gower Peak, southeast of Ramona is open to hiking? I was thinking of doing the caches on it Tuesday morning the 11th, also if it is open and any of the owners of the caches that may have been damaged in the fire want them replaced/fixed-up, let me know. If I do hike it I will bring some small replacement caches with me to keep the spots until the owner can get back out there to put it back to the way it was.

Mt. Gower, itself, is inside the area still closed by the Witch Fire Closure Order 02-07-9. See here for a map of the closure area. Witch Fire Forest Closure Map (This is Cleveland National Forest.)

The Mt. Gower Open Space Preserve (west of Mt Gower), however, has been reopened according the County Parks and Recs webpage.

Mt. Gower, itself, is inside the area still closed by the Witch Fire Closure Order 02-07-9. See here for a map of the closure area. Witch Fire Forest Closure Map (This is Cleveland National Forest.)

The Mt. Gower Open Space Preserve (west of Mt Gower), however, has been reopened according the County Parks and Recs webpage.

Thanks for the info, I was hoping to go up to the peak itself :unsure: , maybe some other time when it reopens.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas!

Just a note to let folks know that

Christmas Card Lane Cache is ready for finding.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...59-386ec1a7d932

Thanks to D-Jollymon for reminding Santa Cache to put his cache out for it's 6th year!!

ttfn Jane

EXCELLENT! This is one that Hill and I always go to. We bring all of our cats as well!

:D:D CALLING ALL 4X4'S :D:D

COME OUT AND GET 'SQUEEZED' WITH US :D

GC17Z5A

FLAGMAN, HABU!, TEAM FATMAN, & THE SPLASHES ON BOARD SO FAR.....................

THIS WILL BE GREAT FUN. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A 4X4, HITCH A RIDE WITH SOMEBODY!

THE SPLASHES :D:D

Hmm.. I checked and I don't think I can get away with sneaking out early from Wisconsin to make it. :D What a great idea!

TA

GC17Z5A

FLAGMAN, HABU!, TEAM FATMAN, & THE SPLASHES ON BOARD SO FAR.....................

Hmm.. I checked and I don't think I can get away with sneaking out early from Wisconsin to make it. :D What a great idea!

TA

Too bad FATTBOY can't handle it.

GC17Z5A

And just what would be the time and date for this to happen.???

Would a Baja Bug make it.

Maybe we can get FATTBOY to ride with Team Fatman.

:D:D CALLING ALL 4X4'S :D:grin:

COME OUT AND GET 'SQUEEZED' WITH US :o

GC17Z5A

THE SPLASHES :rolleyes:B)

Skillet.............Look up the above wpt: GC17Z5A.............all the info. is there

Look up the cache we mentioned on the page for pictures, etc. and you decide if the Baja Bug can make it!

It seems to go everywhere else out there w/o any problems!

If you don't think it will, you can always drive out to where the squeeze is and watch everyone go down!

The Splashes :DB)

:D:lol: CALLING ALL 4X4'S :huh::anibad:

COME OUT AND GET 'SQUEEZED' WITH US :lol:

GC17Z5A

THE SPLASHES :anibad::huh:

Skillet.............Look up the above wpt: GC17Z5A.............all the info. is there

Look up the cache we mentioned on the page for pictures, etc. and you decide if the Baja Bug can make it!

If you don't think it will, you can always drive out to where the squeeze is and watch everyone go down!

The Splashes :DB)

Here is the link to GC17Z5A I thought it was a Cache not an EVENT sorry.

:)B) CALLING ALL 4X4'S B)B)

COME OUT AND GET 'SQUEEZED' WITH US B)

GC17Z5A

THE SPLASHES :)B)

The Splashes :)B)

Here is the link to GC17Z5A I thought it was a Cache not an EVENT sorry.

I'm about 2.5" too wide for the squeeze but I'll try to join you to haul out some of the mirrors and door handles (kind of a CITO event?) B)

We added another component to the Squeezed Event................FOOD !!!! :):):)

After we ALL make it thru the Squeeze and down Heart Attack Hill, we will head for Skillet's place

to share stories and eat some grub!

We are using the KISS method of BBQing and will have hot dogs, snacks, and maybe some desserts to share with everybody.

If you go to watch at the beginning of the squeeze, then head back over to Skillets and join us and we can tell you just how 'fearless' we were B) !!

Sounds like fun, huh?

The Splashes, Team Fatman, & Skillet