San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

I am going to be doing the Mt Israel cache today in Elfin Forest Mt. Israel.

I plan on starting at the trail head at 3:15pm. If anyone wants to come join me on the trip it would be great!

Didn't that area get fried in the fire? I know that cache is a virtual now but the park might be closed if the park did get fried. I know all SDRP is closed up here.

Nope, that area is very much open. I was there yesterday checking it out. Grabbed the George Washington's cache while I was out there. Elfin forest is closed on everything East of the Escondido Overlook. Mt Israel is located right at the Escondido Overlook. So assuming that Elfin Forest's web page is acurate, it should be accessable. Never the less, I will be finding out today :lol:

Edited by Eric and Hill
I am going to be doing the Mt Israel cache today in Elfin Forest Mt. Israel.

I plan on starting at the trail head at 3:15pm. If anyone wants to come join me on the trip it would be great!

Didn't that area get fried in the fire? I know that cache is a virtual now but the park might be closed if the park did get fried. I know all SDRP is closed up here.

Nope, that area is very much open. I was there yesterday checking it out. Grabbed the George Washington's cache while I was out there. Elfin forest is closed on everything East of the Escondido Overlook. Mt Israel is located right at the Escondido Overlook. So assuming that Elfin Forest's web page is acurate, it should be accessable. Never the less, I will be finding out today :lol:

That's good to hear! Here is what the fire map shows:

a31c3512-bd6f-4281-bbbf-ecb625a13d14.jpg

Here is what the fire map shows:

Hey, TG - where'd you find that fire map?
Here ya go TFTC.

Thanks! I'd found this one, but I like the google one better. Though overlapping the 2003 fires is informative - almost lets us predict where the next round might be.
I can't speak for South County but there's not much left in North County that has not already burned in the past four years. So I hope we have a long reprieve. :ph34r:
Here is what the fire map shows:

Hey, TG - where'd you find that fire map?
Here ya go TFTC.

Thanks! I'd found this one, but I like the google one better. Though overlapping the 2003 fires is informative - almost lets us predict where the next round might be.
I can't speak for South County but there's not much left in North County that has not already burned in the past four years. So I hope we have a long reprieve. :ph34r:

Oh there is always more to burn. Its been a few year since the Harmony Grove Fires, so they are due again.

But any who, Mt. Israel cache is still definitly accessable, but you can go no further.

6553778d-cf99-4df0-9065-910ef267855c.jpg

Anyone have any plans or interest in an hike next Friday, after Thanksgiving to work off the triptofan and stuffing? Most anywhere, any length, any difficulty would be good with me.

---My first thought for something to do is The Domelands out off the S2 in the morning on Friday and then a drive through Canyon Sin Nombre and up to the Mudcaves area to do the DAK Girls "Tomb Raider" puzzle cache. Then I may camp the night out there and do some other caches out and around the S2 or over at the Superstition Mountains, closer to El Centro. {depending on how crowded it is}---

Edited by CTYankee9

Anyone have any plans or interest in an hike next Friday, after Thanksgiving to work off the triptofan and stuffing? Most anywhere, any length, any difficulty would be good with me.

---My first thought for something to do is The Domelands out off the S2 in the morning on Friday and then a drive through Canyon Sin Nombre and up to the Mudcaves area to do the DAK Girls "Tomb Raider" puzzle cache. Then I may camp the night out there and do some other caches out and around the S2 or over at the Superstition Mountains, closer to El Centro. {depending on how crowded it is}---

Sounds great! But, I have been wanting to do the Trestle caches for a while. I have already grabbed the mud caves and Tomb Raider, but I noticed that you haven't done Dos Hombres "The worlds longest curved trestle"

So how does it sound going out and doing this cache along with some of the other ones along the way. I was thinking about coming in from the east and grabbing these couple caches along the way.

GC2820

GC250F

Hows that sound?

I am trying to get ThePolarBear to come out with me as well, but I think it would be great to head out there on Friday.

Edited by Eric and Hill

Which cartoon is that? I honestly have no clue....

Patrick Star from SpongeBob SquarePants, yes?

C'mon Pat, keep up with us old guys.

:D You have an unfair advantage of having grandkids that watch those. I haven't watched cartoons with my own kids since the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle days.

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? SpongeBob SquarePants? What's up with that?

Remember Sky King? My Friend Flicka? Roy Rogers? Lone Ranger? Soupy Sales?

And let's not forget Hopalong Cassidy!!! *sigh* I need another swig from the jug of Geritol ...

Which cartoon is that? I honestly have no clue....

Patrick Star from SpongeBob SquarePants, yes?

C'mon Pat, keep up with us old guys.

:D You have an unfair advantage of having grandkids that watch those. I haven't watched cartoons with my own kids since the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle days.

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? SpongeBob SquarePants? What's up with that?

Remember Sky King? My Friend Flicka? Roy Rogers? Lone Ranger? Soupy Sales?

And let's not forget Hopalong Cassidy!!! *sigh* I need another swig from the jug of Geritol ...

When I lived on the east coast I used to love to go to Roy Rogers to get a killer roast beef sandwich! :D When I was a kid I really liked the Flintstones, Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner and Tom and Jerry.

Sounds great! But, I have been wanting to do the Trestle caches for a while. I have already grabbed the mud caves and Tomb Raider, but I noticed that you haven't done Dos Hombres "The worlds longest curved trestle"

So how does it sound going out and doing this cache along with some of the other ones along the way. I was thinking about coming in from the east and grabbing these couple caches along the way.

GC2820

GC250F

Hows that sound?

I am trying to get ThePolarBear to come out with me as well, but I think it would be great to head out there on Friday.

E&H-

Yes, those were some of the caches I was thinking of doing Saturday morning after camping overnight. To flesh the plan out a little:

Do the Domelands and Tomb Raider as the main areas of interest on Friday, camp in Indian Forks Friday night, get up early on Saturday and do the Trestle cache and others on that side of the S2 that I haven't done. Also I need to go back to the Carrizo Gorge GI cache, I DNF'd that one and want to try again. I would be camping near my cache Indian Forks Terminus Right more than likely. If anyone knows the fees rules for ABSP, is there a fee for camping out there and/or is it even allowed? I will Email them and get up to date info this week.

I do need to be back somewhat early on Saturday to San Diego, as I work that night {say 4 PM'ish}

So, maybe if you are willing to go out on Saturday, instead of Friday for the Trestle Cache? Or if you are in for all of it, that would be great too, I would like to get out to the Trestle Cache also. My plans aren't definite yet, but I will be out there on both of those days doing something.

GC2820

GC250F

Hows that sound?

E&H-

Yes, those were some of the caches I was thinking of doing Saturday morning after camping overnight. To flesh the plan out a little:

Do the Domelands and Tomb Raider as the main areas of interest on Friday, camp in Indian Forks Friday night, get up early on Saturday and do the Trestle cache and others on that side of the S2 that I haven't done. Also I need to go back to the Carrizo Gorge GI cache, I DNF'd that one and want to try again. I would be camping near my cache Indian Forks Terminus Right more than likely. If anyone knows the fees rules for ABSP, is there a fee for camping out there and/or is it even allowed? I will Email them and get up to date info this week.

I do need to be back somewhat early on Saturday to San Diego, as I work that night {say 4 PM'ish}

So, maybe if you are willing to go out on Saturday, instead of Friday for the Trestle Cache? Or if you are in for all of it, that would be great too, I would like to get out to the Trestle Cache also. My plans aren't definite yet, but I will be out there on both of those days doing something.

ABDSP allows backcountry camping anywhere in the park with no fee. You can also camp at the primitive campgrounds with no fee. Some of the improved campgrounds with hookups have fees and may require reservations. For open camping, you're required to have a metal container for your fire and to bring your own firewood. List of campgrounds here.

ABDSP allows backcountry camping anywhere in the park with no fee. You can also camp at the primitive campgrounds with no fee. Some of the improved campgrounds with hookups have fees and may require reservations. For open camping, you're required to have a metal container for your fire and to bring your own firewood. List of campgrounds here.

Thanks for the info M2, I have been using their website for info ever since you gave me that detailed .pdf map. Good to know that it is free to camp overnight in those back areas, will make it a little easier in the future.

GC2820

GC250F

Hows that sound?

E&H-

Right now at a bear minimum I will meet up on Saturday for the Trestle caches. But I may be in for the whole deal as The Tomb Raider was fun and I wouldn't mind tagging along to do it again, hopfully this time I don't fall into the hole nearly killing myself :blink: . I am still trying to push ThePolarBear to come on out as well, but polar bears can be stubborn at times and I am fresh out of dead seals to lure him out.

Some fleshing out of my planned Friday/Saturday trip to Anza Borrego South:

Leave the Spring Valley area about 5AM Friday morning and arrive at the trail-head for the start of the Dome Lands hike NLT 7AM. Take about 7 hours to do this hike, giving plenty of time for photo ops and AO. Hopefully be back to the trail-head by 2PM. Run over to the Mud Cave area via Canyon Sin Nombre trail and knock-out the Tomb Raider Cache and be done by shortly after nightfall.

Head over to my Indian Forks Terminus Right Cache and bivouac for the evening chow.

Revile at dawn, break camp, morning chow and proceed to the Longest Trestle Cache, possibly stopping for some Jacumba Rock Scramble on the way. Have all missions complete in time to return to home base by 5PM as I have to go back to the real world that evening!

Eric of Eric & Hill will possibly be riding shotgun in my vehicle and Piglit9 will have the 6. Should anyone want to join us anywhere along the way I will try to remember to have one of those FRS radios turned on and set to channel 5.0, also I will have my cell phone along, but not sure of reception in the canyons.

Ohh and no Hjortron Sylt packed as of yet, just MREs for me. Although those vegetable crackers and some cheese spread doesn't sound too far off from it.

Edited by CTYankee9

I'm probably in for the early Saturday morning Trestle Caches hike. Do you have any details yet as to the planned route?

I don't see why not a 7AM start on Saturday morning for these three caches also, we should be up and camp broken by then. It would seem that the best route up there would be from Mortero Palms Trail-head to Palm Oasis to Goat Canyon to the Trestle area.

TrestleHike.gif

image taken from Stowell's site

I am assuming if we follow this topo we should be alright. Then if we are still feeling good the side trip up Jacumba Scramble, that way three HC #2 can be knocked out in one day! I can always leave GI #11 Carrizo Gorge for another day.

Or whatever time you feel like you can make out to the trailhead, we will be there camping, so no biggie to us on time.

I'm probably in for the early Saturday morning Trestle Caches hike. Do you have any details yet as to the planned route?

Ms. LLOT and I hiked that route several years ago. You are in for some excellent scenery (especially looking out to the east). I took some great photographs on that trip.

You'll also find that the route is not well marked, the terrain is rugged, there are nasty plants that like to poke at you when you are not looking and you will be scrambling in that section between "Palm Oasis" and "Bear Rt". (We did not see a bear there, by the way ;) ) We found, several times, that we had to back up and try another way when our original guess turned out not to be a great way forward. The terrain becomes very rugged and steep as you descend into Goat Canyon.

Jerry Schad says it should take 2.5 hours to get to a point where you can see the trestle (about 2.5 miles from the trailhead) But with all the route finding we had to do, it took us longer (3.5 hours?) The last bit to the trestle (about .6 mi ?) itself will be the longest and slowest due to the steepness of the terrain and you can probably add an hour (one way) to do this bit. There may be times where you find that there does not seem to be a way to get there (drop-offs and such) but be assured that there is a way around every obstacle.

Please post photos and details of your journey when you get back. This is a great hike! Enjoy your trip! :D

Ms. LLOT and I hiked that route several years ago. You are in for some excellent scenery (especially looking out to the east). I took some great photographs on that trip.

You'll also find that the route is not well marked, the terrain is rugged, there are nasty plants that like to poke at you when you are not looking and you will be scrambling in that section between "Palm Oasis" and "Bear Rt". (We did not see a bear there, by the way ;) ) We found, several times, that we had to back up and try another way when our original guess turned out not to be a great way forward. The terrain becomes very rugged and steep as you descend into Goat Canyon.

Jerry Schad says it should take 2.5 hours to get to a point where you can see the trestle (about 2.5 miles from the trailhead) But with all the route finding we had to do, it took us longer (3.5 hours?) The last bit to the trestle (about .6 mi ?) itself will be the longest and slowest due to the steepness of the terrain and you can probably add an hour (one way) to do this bit. There may be times where you find that there does not seem to be a way to get there (drop-offs and such) but be assured that there is a way around every obstacle.

Please post photos and details of your journey when you get back. This is a great hike! Enjoy your trip! :D

Thanks much for the information! I will be snapping photos along the journey. I am actually more eager to grab the Jacuuma Scramble then the Trestle caches! I guess that's just the climber in me.

Re: New Meetup.com Geocaching San Diego Organizer Planning Meeting

Can we keep this meetup.com group going? Let's plan a meeting to discuss ways to fund the cost for keeping this group together. It's only $12. / mo to keep the group together. I am thinking we can host a couple events a year to fund the cost. What do you think? Any other ideas? I have a few other fun ideas to share at an informal get together on Wednesday, 11/28 @ 7:00 pm. Lets meet at:

Karl Strauss Brewery Gardens - Sorrento Valley

9675 Scranton Road

San Diego , CA 92121

858-587-2739

Please reply to RSVP or just leave an idea to be discussed at the meeting. Looking forward to seeing you there!

For more info, see http://geo.meetup.com/114/.

Dave

We'll be making an attempt on the trestle, GC219B, on Friday Dec 7th.

Likely to show up:

Map4Navigation

Duncan!

Sled Head

Flagman

Chuy!

Maybe:

SuperDave!

We're planning an 0730 departure from Lakeside area. No worries if you can't make it that early, we'll cache along the way till we're able to meet up at Mortero Palms parking area at N32 43.200 W116 08.800 , say 0930'ish, and return not too much past nightfall.

Lesson learned from the prior expedition: leave Ginger! at home. How's Piglit by the way? Ginger! sends her best wishes.

Likely to show up:

Map4Navigation

Duncan!

Sled Head

Flagman

Chuy!

Maybe:

SuperDave!

We're planning an 0730 departure from Lakeside area. No worries if you can't make it that early, we'll cache along the way till we're able to meet up at Mortero Palms parking area at N32 43.200 W116 08.800 , say 0930'ish, and return not too much past nightfall.

Lesson learned from the prior expedition: leave Ginger! at home. How's Piglit by the way? Ginger! sends her best wishes.

Friday?!?! Don't you people have jobs? ThePolarBear and I will be "revisiting" These caches in January, with no dogs =).

I think I might try to make it, I did hear it was one hek of a hike ????

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Likely to show up:

Map4Navigation

Duncan!

Sled Head

Flagman

Chuy!

Maybe:

SuperDave!

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Yep, lots of bouldering. I hear the last 400 yards can take an hour or so due to bouldering up and down a steep hill. Total hike is about 6 miles averaging a mile an hour; cachers can add an hour or so for the three caches along the route - yes, more bouldering and climbing. We must be nuts - I can't wait!

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Yep, lots of bouldering. I hear the last 400 yards can take an hour or so due to bouldering up and down a steep hill. Total hike is about 6 miles averaging a mile an hour; cachers can add an hour or so for the three caches along the route - yes, more bouldering and climbing. We must be nuts - I can't wait!

Chuy!, you should of told me the scoop before I volunteered to go!! :( I can't wait either!!! :) Cool if train roars through!! :) Im gonna miss Ginger on this one.

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Chuy!, you should of told me the scoop before I volunteered to go!! :) I can't wait either!!! :( Cool if train roars through!! :) Im gonna miss Ginger on this one.

Can you believe I didn't get that cache the last time I was at GCT? Well, it was 10 days before I discovered geocaching... and before the trains were running!

8bd081ff-a059-4957-8bab-9ebb167c2ba7.jpg

Edited by Duncan!

Chris / TEAM DUCKIT

Chuy!, you should of told me the scoop before I volunteered to go!! :( I can't wait either!!! :) Cool if train roars through!! :anibad:Im gonna miss Ginger on this one.

Can you believe I didn't get that cache the last time I was at GCT? Well, it was 10 days before I discovered geocaching... and before the trains were running!

8bd081ff-a059-4957-8bab-9ebb167c2ba7.jpg

I think that tanker on the side of the hill could use a cache; remind me to pack some altoids :) .

Cool pic D!.

Yea, Mapster, I don't know who's going to carry my water now. :anibad:

Likely to show up:

Map4Navigation

Duncan!

Sled Head

Flagman

Chuy!

Maybe:

SuperDave!

Count me in as "May Shows" for Friday! Now that it pushed me back once, I have to get up there and turn it into a smiley :(

Piglit is doin fine now, she just decided on having a cholla arm for lunch on the way up! Actually she got a couple of small cholla pieces stuck on her feet and decided to pull them out herself with her mouth before I could get to her. It was pretty nasty trail-side, but by the time we got back down to the truck, most were gone and then by the time we got home, she had worked all but a few of the quills out herself. There was just a couple to get out with the tweezers.

The way up wasn't that bad, we took the wash just a bit northish of the Palm wash and there wasn't any or very little rock hopping involved, it was just on the way down taking the most direct route to the car through the Palm wash that we hit all the GIANT boulders. Other than the cholla littering the area, there wasn't anything in the terrain that would have stopped Piglit or any other K9 as far as we got the way we went up. But still, the K9s may be best left behind on this one. There was quite a bit of lifting, sliding, cajoling, totally blowing-out of pant's seat and just plain stubborness on the way down!

PB240077.jpg

Shortly after eating lunch!

PB240078.jpg

Piglit back to normal for Piglit!

Been fighting with the computer over the past few days, trying to upgrade, and still haven't got it right. So, I am slow to post the find logs and notes for those two days.

'Chuy!' date='Nov 28 2007, 10:22 AM' post='3179033'] We'll be making an attempt on the trestle, GC219B, on Friday Dec 7th.

Likely to show up:

Map4Navigation

Duncan!

Sled Head

Flagman

Chuy!

Maybe:

SuperDave!

Hey Chuy! Is it legal to have three (!'s) on one hike? I count more than Dos Hombres on the list. Please add my name to the victims ...er hikers. I don't think they could fit all of us in one medivac chopper but it would be fun to try. If we are not going to do much off roading, I can take three in my ride. Will you do a GPX file or should we make our own list?

habu!

FYI. In case you missed it. It would be cool to have a San Diego family on the TV show! Who's gonna do it?! :D

Groundspeak received the following email. With their permission, here is the re-post. If you are interested, please contact Julia using the info below.

Greetings ~

My name is Julia Jenkins and I am a casting producer for ABC families hit

reality show 'Wife Swap.' We are currently casting for our fourth season and

we are looking for FAMILIES THAT HAVE A PASSION FOR GEOCACHING/TREASURE

HUNTING. We want to feature a family that lives and breathes adventure.

Families that appear on the show receive $20,000 as a thank you. And if you

refer a family that appears on the show you would receive $1000.

The premise of Wife Swap is simple: for seven days, two wives from two

different families with very different values exchange husbands, children

and lives (but not bedrooms) to discover what it's like to live a different

family's life. It's a fun social experiment and a great way to see your

family in a whole new light.

Here at 'Wife Swap' we look for a two-parent home with at least one child

between the ages of 6 and 17 living at home full time.

If you are interested, please email me and tell me a little about your

family and then I will be in touch. Or if you would like to refer a family,

please email me their contact information and I will be in touch.

Thanks!

--

Julia Jenkins

Associate Casting Producer

RDF Media USA

1790 Broadway 11th Floor,

NY, NY 10019

P: 646.747.7941

E: wifeswap.julia@gmail.com

Personally, I will be looking forward to the episode. :D

FYI. In case you missed it. It would be cool to have a San Diego family on the TV show! Who's gonna do it?! :D

Groundspeak received the following email. With their permission, here is the re-post. If you are interested, please contact Julia using the info below.

Greetings ~

My name is Julia Jenkins .... snip ....... ested, please email me and tell me a little about your

Thanks!

--

Julia Jenkins

RDF Media USA

NY, NY 10019

Can we choose the wife swap? :D:D

Greetings ~

My name is Julia Jenkins .... snip ....... ested, please email me and tell me a little about your

Thanks!

--

Julia Jenkins

RDF Media USA

NY, NY 10019

I heard a rumor the Victoria's Secret models' families were going to be playing... :) Your family would be perfect Paul! C'mon, do it! :D

Greetings ~

Thanks!

--

Julia Jenkins

RDF Media USA

NY, NY 10019

I heard a rumor the Victoria's Secret models' families were going to be playing... :D Your family would be perfect Paul! C'mon, do it! :)

The embarrassing part about that would be the model complaining about the geo-hike and still be faster than me! I wouldnt dream of givin up the wife! (In case she reads this!) :D

Greetings ~

Thanks!

--

Julia Jenkins

RDF Media USA

NY, NY 10019

Can we choose the wife swap? :D:)

I heard a rumor the Victoria's Secret models' families were going to be playing... :D Your family would be perfect Paul! C'mon, do it! :D

The embarrassing part about that would be the model complaining about the geo-hike and still be faster than me! I wouldnt dream of givin up the wife! (In case she reads this!) :D

I was just joking! (In case either of our wives ever reads this!) Our wives should both be in Victoria's Secret! :D (In case either of our wives ever reads this! :D ) The name of the show is misleading. The idea is just to geocache with someone else's wife. It's a family show. Plus you get $20K for doing it.... Edited by TrailGators

FYI. In case you missed it. It would be cool to have a San Diego family on the TV show! Who's gonna do it?! B)

Greetings ~

Thanks!

--

Julia Jenkins

RDF Media USA

NY, NY 10019

I heard a rumor the Victoria's Secret models' families were going to be playing... :D Your family would be perfect Paul! C'mon, do it! :D

The embarrassing part about that would be the model complaining about the geo-hike and still be faster than me! I wouldnt dream of givin up the wife! (In case she reads this!) :) I was just joking! (In case either of our wives ever reads this!) Our wives should both be in Victoria's Secret! :D (In case either of our wives ever reads this! :D ) The name of the show is misleading. The idea is just to geocache with someone else's wife. It's a family show. Plus you get $20K for doing it....

After reading this:

Log Date: 11/29/2007

I will not pretend to be the boss.

I must retract our "will attend" note, after talking with the real decision-maker in our team, I was told we will be camp-caching at Lake Morena as part of our #1 Granddaughters birthday. I was also told I should stop acting impetuously. After looking that up, I think I am offended, but have decided not to say anything for fear of making it worse. Have fun without us, we may use the coord's and drive through on another night.

I nominate Cat & Bobby for the show! :D:D:D

Edited by habu!
The name of the show is misleading. The idea is just to geocache with someone else's wife. It's a family show. Plus you get $20K for doing it....

There's no way $20K is going to cover the damages if Ms. LLOT found out that I volunteered...and besides where am I going to find a kid between the ages of 6 and 17?

Anyway, I've already been geocaching with someone else's wife. And someone else's husband. And someone else's kids. And even someone else's dog.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer