Escondido Via Loma Vista -- Via Rancho Pkwy to end Closed

Escondido Quit Hills -- Felicita to Via Rancho Pkwy Closed

CMR = County Maintained Road

SR = State Route (highway)

mp = mile post

S = County road number

Newer updates to this page

That was from the San Diego County Emergency Homepage Link

For this evening and your planing purposes, it seems that Hwy 8 east to the desert {either El Centro Area or the S2} are the only options at this moment.

Again myself, the wife, and Piglit will be leaving about 3PM or 4PM Friday from the Spring Valley Area and heading out that way via the 8 east, if anyone wants to convoy along or is uncertain on how to get there taking the 8 and doesn't mind leaving a bit late.

Edited by CTYankee9

Here is a Google link where you can change your source address to route to around via the earlier directions.

Route to Desert

We also saw that Ramona opened up. If 78 or 79 open up, then we will take that way. Unlikely though. We should be up there around 8pm to setup camp. Less people mean we have a better chance to win the contests. :( Of course, we would prefer to see everyone and understand if others can not make it.

TA

Edited by Team Adelos

http://sosdfireblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/r...der-lifted.html

Ramona evacuation order lifted

Posted @ 7:36 PM

Ramona residents are allowed to return to their homes as of 7:15 p.m. via the following routes of reentry only:

Highway 67 from Poway

Highway 78 from Julian

-- Sherry Saavedra, staff writer

Does that mean the 78 to Julian is open?

Jess and I are still planning on at least coming for some time. We initially were planning to spend a couple days but now it will probably be less.

http://sosdfireblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/r...der-lifted.html

Ramona evacuation order lifted

Posted @ 7:36 PM

Ramona residents are allowed to return to their homes as of 7:15 p.m. via the following routes of reentry only:

Highway 67 from Poway

Highway 78 from Julian

-- Sherry Saavedra, staff writer

Does that mean the 78 to Julian is open?

Jess and I are still planning on at least coming for some time. We initially were planning to spend a couple days but now it will probably be less.

It sure would be nice if it was open. My jeep gets about 12 mpg and being the end of the month means funds are low.

Dave

3:06AM^SR-78 CLOSED AT S-2 (SCISSORS CROSSING) TO JULIAN

3:06AM^SR-79 CLOSED AT SUNRISE HWY TO JULIAN

3:06AM^SR-78 CLOSED FROM SR-79 (SANTA YSABEL) TO S-2 (SCISSORS CROSSING)

3:06AM^SR-78 CLOSED FROM SAN PASQUAL ACADEMY RD TO HORIZON VIEW DR JWO RAMONA

3:06AM^SR-76 CLOSED AT PANKEY RD TO SR-79

3:06AM^SR-76 CLOSED AT MISSION RD TO OLD HWY 395

3:06AM^***WITCH FIRE CLOSURES***

Radio says 78 from Ramona to Santa Ysabel is open, but is 79 to S-2 open???? It looks like it is but they had evac at Mesa Grande, Lake Hensaw last night

SPECIAL FIRE UPDATE

ROAD CLOSURES

10/26/2007

4:44 a.m.

For non-storm Public Works information, please visit the

DPW web site

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Road Closures in San Diego County

Community Road/Intersection Incident

Julian area/Santa Ysabel

ALL WAYS IN AND OUT OF JULIAN ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC Closed

SR 78 -- SR 79 to Bear Valley Pkwy Closed

SR 79 -- SR 78 to SR 76 Closed

SR 78 E/B -- Santa Ysabel to Haverrwood Closed

Valley Center, Pauma

Lilac Rd -- Valley Center Rd Closed

Couser Canyon -- SR 76 to Lilac Closed

SR 76 -- Pauma Reservation Road to SR 79 Closed

SR 76 -- Cole Grade to SR 79 Closed

SR 76 -- Mission to Old Hwy 395 Closed

Cole Grade -- Valley Center to SR 76 Closed

Pine Valley, Alpine

Harbison Japatul Road at Dehesa/Tavern Closed

S/B Japatul at I-8 Closed

Tavern at S. Grade Residents only

Harbison Canyon at Dehesa Closed

Poway

Poway Road at Espola Closed

Jamul, Rancho San Diego

Lawson Valley -- entire length Closed

SR 94 -- Steele Canyon to Forrest Gate Closed

Skyline Truck Trail -- entire length Closed

HoneySprings -- SR 94 to Lyons Valley

Otay Otay Lakes -- Wueste to SR 94 Closed

Potrero area THE TECATE BORDER CROSSING AND POTRERO AREA ROADS Closed

This is as of about 5AM. So for best planning purposes of which way we are going to get out there, I would use the 8 East in some manner and then turn north at the S2 at Octillo or go a little farther along the 8 to El Centro area and turn north to get on the 86/78. Yes, a bit farther than most of us were planning on, but hey, what ya gonna do.

It looks like 15 to the 79 to Warner springs down to S-2 is open. As of 0421 AM

Goggle -211San Diego- for the lastest

This looks like the route I will take unless of course they reopen access through Santa Ysabel/ Julian.

Mileage for me from PQ by way of Temecula- Warner Springs- S-2 is 118 miles. Going by way of the I-8 to the railroad from Plaster City is 148. And all the way to Westmoreland would be 171.

Dave

Type: Media Information Location: NEWSWORTHY INCIDENTS info as of: 10/26/2007 8:16:59 AM

3:06AM ^SR-78 CLOSED AT S-2 (SCISSORS CROSSING) TO JULIAN

3:06AM ^SR-79 CLOSED AT SUNRISE HWY TO JULIAN

3:06AM ^SR-78 CLOSED FROM SR-79 (SANTA YSABEL) TO S-2 (SCISSORS CROSSING)

3:06AM ^SR-78 CLOSED FROM SAN PASQUAL ACADEMY RD TO HORIZON VIEW DR JWO RAMONA

3:06AM ^SR-76 CLOSED AT PANKEY RD TO SR-79

3:06AM ^SR-76 CLOSED AT MISSION RD TO OLD HWY 395

Soon I hope!

Type: Media Information Location: NEWSWORTHY INCIDENTS info as of: 10/26/2007 8:16:59 AM

Soon I hope!

Given this, the route suggested by TA should work. Can anyone confirm that it's possible for non-residents to take SR67 to Ramona, SR78 from Ramona to Santa Ysabel, and SR79 from Santa Ysabel to S-2?

(This is actually the same route I took last year. It worked very well...)

Soon I hope!

Given this, the route suggested by TA should work. Can anyone confirm that it's possible for non-residents to take SR67 to Ramona, SR78 from Ramona to Santa Ysabel, and SR79 from Santa Ysabel to S-2?

Arrgh. It looks like these are still closed...

• State Route 78 from San Pasqual Valley Road to State Route 79 in Santa Ysabel.

• State Route 79 from Route 78 to Route 76.

It was a nice thought while it lasted...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Soon I hope!

• State Route 78 from San Pasqual Valley Road to State Route 79 in Santa Ysabel.

I think you can take 79 from Temecula out to the S2....

Soon I hope!

So far, that appears to be the route I'm going to try...

Soon I hope!

So far, that appears to be the route I'm going to try...

FWIW, my parents live in Borrego Springs and they drove to San Diego via Temecula on Wednesday night, with plans to return home tonight the same way. They normally take the first route LLOT mentioned (SR67 to Ramona, SR78 from Ramona to Santa Ysabel, and SR79 from Santa Ysabel to S-2). We're probably going to go via Temecula too, but not until late tonight.

We're looking forward to seeing everyone. :)

My neighbors Son just came in from Borrego by way of I-8. He says that it is really smoky down in the desert since the wind changed. Thats why I'll be comming alone, Sally has enough problem breathing as it is. Will perhaps meet up with everyone at the CITO unless I'm running early. Drive safely everyone.

Mujer and I left at about 10pm. We drove thru El Centro so she could get some Sonic Drinks and then went on to return the Rental. Got home and slept til about 3pm. GREAT TIME! Thanks to those who made this the BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!

I still have to say, the best part was going to blowsand with condor Man, D-jollymon and the other dude to watch stoopid people screw up thier trucks while trying to make it up. HAHA

! Thanks to those who made this the BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!

I still have to say, the best part was going to blowsand with condor Man, D-jollymon and the other dude to watch stoopid people screw up thier trucks while trying to make it up. HAHA

Happy Birthday. That was probably Team Fatman and my son and his friends you saw going up and down the hill. FATTBOY stayed at Camp or you really would of had a good show. He would have got stuck. 00020148.gif

There is an event up north there is a group doing 4x4:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...42683&log=y

I may not be up there on the 10th until the night or the 11th. I am planning on camping out and 4x4'n over the holiday weekend. There is also discussion happening on this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=176750

Just a heads up while the weather is still nice to be in the desert. :D

TA

I won't have a phone for a couple of weeks, and consequently don't have Internet access without driving down to the RSD library, where I am now.

Is anyone from East County going to the Event tomorrow night?

If so, could I hitch a ride from RSD or El Cajon or . . . ?

I'll be going, but not staying too long, I have to work that evening. Give me a call at home if you are near a phone tonight.

There is an event up north there is a group doing 4x4:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...42683&log=y

I may not be up there on the 10th until the night or the 11th. I am planning on camping out and 4x4'n over the holiday weekend. There is also discussion happening on this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=176750

Just a heads up while the weather is still nice to be in the desert. :D

TA

I will be heading out there on Sunday the 11th somewhere between 4PM and 5PM. That night I will quick-camp somewhere near "The BRADSHAW TRAIL #1 GCMDJT"; I don't think it will be more than a three hour drive to there from the Spring Valley area. Monday morning early I am going to start at the southwest end of the trail and drive it northeast from "The BRADSHAW TRAIL #1 GCMDJT", stopping mainly for the drive-ups and the occasional walk {not too far}, complete the trail, turn west on the I10 near "Happy Meal McCache" GCE264 and then turn on Box Canyon Road near "See Me Not" GC10AB7 and do as many caches as time allows to get back near Salton Sea area and camp Monday night at the end of that road near "Cacheburger" GCTQKJ.

Monday night camp somewhere near the Salton Sea and then Tuesday morning do the caches just northwest of 66th Ave and the 111 starting with "Green Beer" GC11D31 and ending with "Rusty Rock Cache" GCHPE6, then come on home Tuesday evening.

If anyone is interested in joining up for all or any part of it let me know, it will be myself and Piglit in my truck and Boomer and the Cache Bandits are starting from the northeast end of the trail Monday, I think. I would have room for one in my truck, should anyone not have a high-clearance vehicle; and I wouldn't be bashful in offering to share the cost of gas for the trip! Be aware the geomobile is a tank, although the other day I replaced a bad o2 sensor and installed a K&N air intake system today, so maybe that was part of the poor gas mileage {the o2 sensor}.

This is a bit early, but does anyone have anything planned for next Monday?

I'm off the entire week next week for Thanksgiving. We're going up north for the big day but we're not leaving until Tuesday night so I have an extra day to kill.

I would love to but I can't yet. I hope to be able to go out with you guys on some easier hikes during Xmas break. :blink: Can you believe that I haven't found a cache since the Big Bear event almost 3 months ago! :blink:

I'm off the entire week next week for Thanksgiving. We're going up north for the big day but we're not leaving until Tuesday night so I have an extra day to kill.

I would love to but I can't yet. I hope to be able to go out with you guys on some easier hikes during Xmas break. :ph34r: Can you believe that I haven't found a cache since the Big Bear event almost 3 months ago! :blink:

Slacker! :blink:

I would love to but I can't yet. I hope to be able to go out with you guys on some easier hikes during Xmas break. :cry: Can you believe that I haven't found a cache since the Big Bear event almost 3 months ago! :ph34r:

:P I agree...Slacker!!! :blink: I put a 1/1 on the Strand. We could push you in a wheel chair to that one!!!

(I hope the healing /therapy is going well Pat)

I would love to but I can't yet. I hope to be able to go out with you guys on some easier hikes during Xmas break. :P Can you believe that I haven't found a cache since the Big Bear event almost 3 months ago! :P

:cry: I agree...Slacker!!! :ph34r: I put a 1/1 on the Strand. We could push you in a wheel chair to that one!!!

Thanks. I'm walking with a brace and the help of Vicodin but I'm slow. It was my first day back at work since the surgery. They called me the Bionic Man at work today. :blink: I have 4 more weeks of PT and then the brace comes off for good! :P Edited by TrailGators

I would love to but I can't yet. I hope to be able to go out with you guys on some easier hikes during Xmas break. :P Can you believe that I haven't found a cache since the Big Bear event almost 3 months ago! :cry:

:P I agree...Slacker!!! :ph34r: I put a 1/1 on the Strand. We could push you in a wheel chair to that one!!!

Thanks. I'm walking with a brace and the help of Vicodin but I'm slow. It was my first day back at work since the surgery. They called me the Bionic Man at work today. :blink: I have 4 more weeks of PT and then the brace comes off for good! :P

We need to schedule a volleyball tournament in 4 weeks.

I would love to but I can't yet. I hope to be able to go out with you guys on some easier hikes during Xmas break. :) Can you believe that I haven't found a cache since the Big Bear event almost 3 months ago! :D

Slacker! :unsure:

;) I agree...Slacker!!! :cool: I put a 1/1 on the Strand. We could push you in a wheel chair to that one!!!

Thanks. I'm walking with a brace and the help of Vicodin but I'm slow. It was my first day back at work since the surgery. They called me the Bionic Man at work today. :ph34r: I have 4 more weeks of PT and then the brace comes off for good! :D

:D

I would love to but I can't yet. I hope to be able to go out with you guys on some easier hikes during Xmas break. :D Can you believe that I haven't found a cache since the Big Bear event almost 3 months ago! :unsure:

Slacker! :)

:ph34r: I agree...Slacker!!! :cool: I put a 1/1 on the Strand. We could push you in a wheel chair to that one!!!

Thanks. I'm walking with a brace and the help of Vicodin but I'm slow. It was my first day back at work since the surgery. They called me the Bionic Man at work today. :D I have 4 more weeks of PT and then the brace comes off for good! :D

Hey Pat,

Do you want me to bring by some cache logs for you to sign? ;)

TA

I would love to but I can't yet. I hope to be able to go out with you guys on some easier hikes during Xmas break. :D Can you believe that I haven't found a cache since the Big Bear event almost 3 months ago! :unsure:

;) I agree...Slacker!!! :ph34r: I put a 1/1 on the Strand. We could push you in a wheel chair to that one!!!

Thanks. I'm walking with a brace and the help of Vicodin but I'm slow. It was my first day back at work since the surgery. They called me the Bionic Man at work today. :D I have 4 more weeks of PT and then the brace comes off for good! :D

I was just thinking.. I bet your still faster than me.. :cool::D

:D I agree...Slacker!!! :ph34r: I put a 1/1 on the Strand. We could push you in a wheel chair to that one!!!

;)

Hey Pat,

Do you want me to bring by some cache logs for you to sign? :D

TA

Do you think it would stop my caching withdrawal symptoms? :cool: I've been eating a lot of leftovers just so I could open some tupperware! :D

I would love to but I can't yet. I hope to be able to go out with you guys on some easier hikes during Xmas break. :) Can you believe that I haven't found a cache since the Big Bear event almost 3 months ago! :)

Slacker! :D

:D I agree...Slacker!!! :) I put a 1/1 on the Strand. We could push you in a wheel chair to that one!!!

Thanks. I'm walking with a brace and the help of Vicodin but I'm slow. It was my first day back at work since the surgery. They called me the Bionic Man at work today. :lol: I have 4 more weeks of PT and then the brace comes off for good! :D

Hey Pat,

Do you want me to bring by some cache logs for you to sign? :P

TA

Do you think it would stop my caching withdrawal symptoms? :) I've been eating a lot of leftovers just so I could open some tupperware! :)

:D How about a WELCOME BACK PAT event???

I would love to but I can't yet. I hope to be able to go out with you guys on some easier hikes during Xmas break. :D Can you believe that I haven't found a cache since the Big Bear event almost 3 months ago! :)

Slacker! :D

:P I agree...Slacker!!! :) I put a 1/1 on the Strand. We could push you in a wheel chair to that one!!!

Thanks. I'm walking with a brace and the help of Vicodin but I'm slow. It was my first day back at work since the surgery. They called me the Bionic Man at work today. :lol: I have 4 more weeks of PT and then the brace comes off for good! :D

Hey Pat,

Do you want me to bring by some cache logs for you to sign? :)

TA

Do you think it would stop my caching withdrawal symptoms? :) I've been eating a lot of leftovers just so I could open some tupperware! :D

:D How about a WELCOME BACK PAT event???
I hope you mean an SDCET event... :)