San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Info for the Campout

Los Pretot's Desert club ( that orange building just before My Desert Rose Resturant) Is having a Poker Run Saturday Night the 27th.

Hands go on sale at noon and the run starts at 7:00PM (1900) all check points will be decorated in the Halloween theme.

The Fire Department is having an all you can eat breakfest on Sunday, Donations. Don't be cheap with your donations. They've been to my property three times(the bom fire was to big and they thought it might be a house fire.) OOPS 00020176.gif on.

We are looking forward to the campout coming up. Last year, we were trying to figure out what to do and at the last minute, we found out that the bombing range and jet engine was going to be visited. We ended up joining a group and had a great time. BTW, Skillet was awesome leading us safely through the area! It was a blast.

The desert campout is around the corner and I wanted to see if we could coordinate a caching run or two for Saturday. A couple would allow for others to have options. This gathering continues to grow and I know we want everyone to have fun in the sun. I was thinking more along the lines of 4x4 in the sand trails myself, but there are also many caches right off the road as well as hikes. I do not know the area that well, but between everyone in this forum, we have probably been everywhere in that park. I here that the mud hills series or the slots may be a good choice.

We were out with M2 this weekend and mostly drove in the sand with a just a few cache finds. Our goal was more for the scenery and we were not is appointed. We had a great time and saw some really cool spots and the weather could not have been better! I should remember my camera next time! (I could kick myself)

Any ideas or suggestion on runs? Hopefully, we can get Ramius' jeep dirty along with some others. :mad: Also, when should everyone be back to start the evening events? It appears that 11-5pm is the geocaching window. :D

TA

I'd like to fit in the Carrizo Gorge Trestle caches, if anyone else is game...

Edited by FlagMan

We are looking forward to the campout coming up. Last year, we were trying to figure out what to do and at the last minute, we found out that the bombing range and jet engine was going to be visited. We ended up joining a group and had a great time. BTW, Skillet was awesome leading us safely through the area! It was a blast.

The desert campout is around the corner and I wanted to see if we could coordinate a caching run or two for Saturday. A couple would allow for others to have options. This gathering continues to grow and I know we want everyone to have fun in the sun. I was thinking more along the lines of 4x4 in the sand trails myself, but there are also many caches right off the road as well as hikes. I do not know the area that well, but between everyone in this forum, we have probably been everywhere in that park. I here that the mud hills series or the slots may be a good choice.

We were out with M2 this weekend and mostly drove in the sand with a just a few cache finds. Our goal was more for the scenery and we were not is appointed. We had a great time and saw some really cool spots and the weather could not have been better! I should remember my camera next time! (I could kick myself)

Any ideas or suggestion on runs? Hopefully, we can get Ramius' jeep dirty along with some others. :D Also, when should everyone be back to start the evening events? It appears that 11-5pm is the geocaching window. :mad:

TA

I have tentative plans with Kawikaturn to visit The Basilisk Saturday after the CITO.

Fyi, Jeep Jamoree is sponsoring their first Salton Sea run Oct 26-28. Registration is $195 :o .

Any ideas or suggestion on runs? Hopefully, we can get Ramius' jeep dirty along with some others. :D Also, when should everyone be back to start the evening events? It appears that 11-5pm is the geocaching window. :mad:

TA

I wouldn't mind heading out that way. I'd like to get some photos (I'm building a trestle for my backyard railway...). Would there be an opportunity to get "Melting Pot" while we were in the area?

TA

I remember I really enjoyed doing the Fish Creek Wash with RocketMan and Trailgator. There were plenty of good caches and the slot canyon was the coolest part.

IMG_2551.JPG

That was a lot of fun. You guys could do this cache which is located on a rare degree confluence..... :o

I'm going to do the Squezze then Pinyon canyon to fish creek on sat. the 13th. then go to Skillets property. If ya want to meet up e-mail me.

That's a great run! Make sure you get some pics coming down Heart Attack Hill after you get through The Squeeze. Or even video! We've seen 'unexpected' things happen there! I've seen some boyz in their toyz get near tears when they see see that little hill! It will test your nerves. So if you pick up any one who is just getting their rigs out...get ready for some Good Times! Oh the memories! Other than Truckhaven this hill and the squeeze are about as challenging as you'll get out in AB with your 4x4. Going up Diablo Dropoff isn't bad. Rodriquez Canyon is easy now. Can't wait to see the pics! I love that hill. Those rushes you experience when you do some of the more challenging off roading are the best. Each time that Tim or I drove our rigs down HAH it was still edgy fun! We have a GC at The Squeeze and we hid a GC with our 4x4 group at the bottom of HAH many years ago. Check out the pics in the gallery for the Pinyon Mt. Trail cache near our Squeeze cache. It sucks when you see a rig roll like that. But it happens. Be safe!

TA

I wouldn't mind heading out that way. I'd like to get some photos (I'm building a trestle for my backyard railway...). Would there be an opportunity to get "Melting Pot" while we were in the area?

I don't see the Melting Pot; whats the GC#?

TA

My bad...not sure why my brain altered the name...

Powder Can Cache (GC161)

My bad...not sure why my brain altered the name...

Powder Can Cache (GC161)

That looks good also. So many choices. This is good. We can at least list what is going on and other can choose to join. We should probably include difficulties for those with hike, or the roll your jeep types.. :D Those are way south of the campout..

Edited by Team Adelos

Is anyone interested in camping in the desert Oct 19th-21st. Historia and I are planning to camp in Hawk Canyon or other nearby location. I thought someone else may be interested in 4x4'n. We may change plans if we have no one to pair up with. The more the better. :anitongue: I wanted to cache in a few spots before the campout. Moderate to easy trails is our plan. Just seeing were the trails take us. Anyone notice that there are very few puzzles in that area? :D

TA

Is anyone interested in camping in the desert Oct 19th-21st. Historia and I are planning to camp in Hawk Canyon or other nearby location. I thought someone else may be interested in 4x4'n. We may change plans if we have no one to pair up with. The more the better. ;) I wanted to cache in a few spots before the campout. Moderate to easy trails is our plan. Just seeing were the trails take us. Anyone notice that there are very few puzzles in that area? :yikes:

TA

Went out this weekend and there are another 8 new Caches that are great for a Jeep. Plus most of them have Red Jeep TB's in them .

Wish I could go three weekends in a row, but the honey do list keeps getting bigger. 00020072.gif

I'm not sure we are going, but have wanted to do them since seeing a TV show about them. It is supposed to be quite a hike though.

We did that hike with the Flintstones about 5 years ago. I think it was about 12 miles round trip. We went up the wash to Powder Can cache and then down to the tracks by one of the tunnels. From there it isn't bad, you just walk along side the tracks to the bridge.

The only thing is..........Is the train still running??? If it is, I don't think you're supposed to be there, and you WON"T want to be there if a train is coming...............especially in one of the tunnels. Not much wiggle room on parts of the tracks.

That being said, it is a great hike and pretty awesome! ;)

The Splashes :sad::yikes:

To help those preparing for this years chili cook-off, we thought it would help to have the judges’ notes from last year so you can fine tune this year’s entry. These are uncensored to avoid claims that information was withheld.

CHILI # 1 – Team Geogeek’s MANIAC MONSTER CHILI

Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.

Judge # 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.

Judge # 3 (Frank) -- Holy crap, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Geocachers are crazy.

CHILI # 2 - Flintstones AFTERBURNER CHILI

Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.

Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3 – Cat & Bobby’s FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI

Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick.

Judge # 2 -- A bit salty, good use of peppers.

Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. I'm getting sh*t-faced from all of the beer.

CHILI # 4 – Team Adelo’s BLACK MAGIC

Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.

Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the beer lady, was standing behind me with fresh refills. This 300 lb. woman is starting to look HOT ...

CHILI # 5 – Team Reid’s LEGAL LIP REMOVER

Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

Judge # 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted, and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really ticks me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw them.

CHILI # 6 – Princess Toadstool’s VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY

Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.

Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, garlic. Superb.

Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I messed on myself when I farted, and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.

CHILI # 7 – TT’s SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI

Judge # 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment! **I should take note that I am worried about judge number 3. He appears to be a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.

Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing. It's too painful. Screw it; I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8 – BIG TOM'S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI

Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.

Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge #3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor feller, wonder how he'd have reacted to really hot chili?

Judge # 3 - No Report

We'll be posting this in the San Diego topics as we feel it will be read by the neccessary person somewhere in here.

In recent months an unusual amount of our 'in the country' caches have gone missing :) and with help from our caching friends we have been getting them replaced :) . But it is still going on. I would like to ask the person doing this to please stop. It is unfair not only to us but to the geocaching community to take the caches. Once they are out there they are for everyone to enjoy. Our appologies to those who have tried to get our caches only to find they are not there. Especially to those who have taken long hikes :) . Thanks to those of you who have given us the heads up on the status of many of our caches. If anyone tries to get to any of our caches and it is not there, please feel free to log it as a find. There is no way for us to know if some of these are gone until someones logs a DNF or tells us about it through email. The cacher who finds they have stumbled upon yet another missing SlabyFam cache should not suffer for what we feel is a deliberate act. When ammo can's placed well away from the casual observer in the mts and desert start to go missing in such high numbers there is obviously something going on. And we are not thrown off just because the cache next to it may be gone as well. There is a very obvious pattern here. Many of these were placed with our whole family and have special meaning to us. So this not only affects us, our kids, but the entire caching community as well. If there is some way to get these back, please send us some sort of anonymous message so we can get these returned. If not, well if there are caches that have not yet been taken please let them be for the communities sake at least.

Sorry again to those who have not found our caches. We feel the same sinking feeling when we hear they are gone. One by one we'll get them all back up. 7 more to go!

Thanks,

The Slaby's

Hmmmm . . . Wonder what they said about MY chili ???

After long research we have finally found the judges report of your chili. By the depth of deceptions used we can only surmise this was a cover-up from last year’s cook-off, but we leave it to you to come to your own conclusion.

CHILI # 10 – Dr Exotic's Black Magic Chili

Judge # 1 -- This is by far the most exciting and best all-around chili, but the maker seems like the type that if we turn him down this year, he will come back with an even better entry next year, so I vote we quietly ignore this entry and keep this guy waiting.

Judge # 2 -- An obviously great chili, but I have concerns that if this guys wins the cook-off and then goes on to win the poker run and most of the raffle prizes, he will want us to rename the event to the Dr. Exotic campout. For the sake of SD Geocaching I submit that this entry must be disqualified.

Judge # 3 - After I awoke at the Brawley hospital, they gave me just a taste of this chili, and I was healed. This chili is far too good for mere mortals, so I have sent a sample along to the Trilateral Commission and they have requested we suppress this entry from the public, as a loyal Americans it is our patriotic duty to conceal how good the chili really is. Oh, and I'm ready for more beer now.

Hmmmm . . . Wonder what they said about MY chili ???

After long research we have finally found the judges report of your chili. By the depth of deceptions used we can only surmise this was a cover-up from last year's cook-off, but we leave it to you to come to your own conclusion.

CHILI # 10 – Dr Exotic's Black Magic Chili

Judge # 1 -- This is by far the most exciting and best all-around chili, but the maker seems like the type that if we turn him down this year, he will come back with an even better entry next year, so I vote we quietly ignore this entry and keep this guy waiting.

Judge # 2 -- An obviously great chili, but I have concerns that if this guys wins the cook-off and then goes on to win the poker run and most of the raffle prizes, he will want us to rename the event to the Dr. Exotic campout. For the sake of SD Geocaching I submit that this entry must be disqualified.

Judge # 3 - After I awoke at the Brawley hospital, they gave me just a taste of this chili, and I was healed. This chili is far too good for mere mortals, so I have sent a sample along to the Trilateral Commission and they have requested we suppress this entry from the public, as a loyal Americans it is our patriotic duty to conceal how good the chili really is. Oh, and I'm ready for more beer now.

:DB)B)B) As a new judge for the chili cookoff, I just hope I can live up to the past judge's. I promise to sample each one maybe twice . Can't wait. <_<:(:(:D

Due to the fires and associated troubles, Could their be possibility of post-pone the camp out?

We believe our Mom&Dad inlaws lost their house, Their safe.

Sorry to hear about Mom & Dad, glad to see they are safe.

NO, we won't post-pone the campout at this time. Alot of planniing, alot of people coming makes it diffucult to consider that. We're hoping by then the fire will be burned out and we probably all could use a break with friends.

The Splashes :laughing:B)

Due to the fires and associated troubles, Could their be possibility of post-pone the camp out?

We believe our Mom&Dad inlaws lost their house, Their safe.

we probably all could use a break with friends.

The Splashes :laughing:B)

Sorry to here about the Inlaws.

But agree with the Splashes. 00020121.gif

We're hoping by then the fire will be burned out and we probably all could use a break with friends.

Amen.

Sheesh, no kidding. My tent trailer is still hooked up and with Ramona still burning, it looks like it might stay that way until the weekend. So I'm ready to go.

We are pretty much ready also.. We cant wait to get into fresh air. We are waiting to be notified for evac. They had an earlier warning for Rancho San Diego, but retracted it. Looks like the are by cache Golden 94 was burnt.

TA

We're hoping by then the fire will be burned out and we probably all could use a break with friends.

Amen.

Sheesh, no kidding. My tent trailer is still hooked up and with Ramona still burning, it looks like it might stay that way until the weekend. So I'm ready to go.

We are pretty much ready also.. We cant wait to get into fresh air. We are waiting to be notified for evac. They had an earlier warning for Rancho San Diego, but retracted it. Looks like the are by cache Golden 94 was burnt.

TA

As it stands right now all roads to the desert are closed, unless you go out 8 to S-2 and backtrack to the 78

67 closed

78 closed

76 closed 00020187.gif

Amen.

TA

As it stands right now all roads to the desert are closed, unless you go out 8 to S-2 and backtrack to the 78

67 closed

78 closed

76 closed 00020187.gif

We can cut through from S2 to Fish Creek then to the campout. Hmm.. Tundra might not like the Devil's Drop-off though.

Amen.

TA

67 closed

78 closed

76 closed 00020187.gif

We can cut through from S2 to Fish Creek then to the campout. Hmm.. Tundra might not like the Devil's Drop-off though.

The tundra would do fine

I watched a full size 2 wheel drive suburban drive down that trail and yes thats crazy.

That would be a very long drive to the event if you have to go all the way around!

If I can't go thru Ramona/67 and the 78. I'm going 8 to S-2 to 78. Leaving about 0800 on Friday. My kids are going out Thurs evening and plan on going that way. Maybe 20/30 miles more.

From my place in Santee it's 87 miles going 67/78. Last time I went the other way I think it was about 125 miles. Then again the GPSr says it's only 62 miles.

Maybe I need to get a plane. 0002006E.gif

See ya all out there 0002018B.gif

If I can't go thru Ramona/67 and the 78. I'm going 8 to S-2 to 78. Leaving about 0800 on Friday. My kids are going out Thurs evening and plan on going that way. Maybe 20/30 miles more.

From my place in Santee it's 87 miles going 67/78. Last time I went the other way I think it was about 125 miles. Then again the GPSr says it's only 62 miles.

Maybe I need to get a plane. 0002006E.gif

See ya all out there 0002018B.gif

Correct on the mileage and that is the route I plan on taking out that way, a bit farther, but what ya gonna do. Now I don't think the Blazer as equiped will make the short-cut through the Diablo Drop-off, but the extra mileage on it will be good. We will be leaving about 3-4PM after the Mrs. gets off work. Looking forward to it.

67 closed

78 closed

76 closed 00020187.gif

Are you better off going up the S-2 to the 78 or to go into El Centro and hit a road going north to the 78? Which way is faster (since neither way is a good direct route).

If you go to El Centro and take S30 north you come out at Westmoreland. You are adding about another 60 miles to your trip. 00020171.gif

I forgot there is another way

Go to Plaster City and follow the train tracks north this comes out at the end of Split mountain RD. 4 wheel drive required it gets really sandy in spots. Team Fatman and I did this coming from Ocotillo Wells. Took about an hour but we did stop for some Caches. 0002013F.gif

Go to Plaster City and follow the train tracks north this comes out at the end of Split mountain RD. 4 wheel drive required it gets really sandy in spots. Team Fatman and I did this coming from Ocotillo Wells. Took about an hour but we did stop for some Caches. 0002013F.gif

Been that way a couple of times in the truck,but never pulling the trailer, I'll see if Cat is willing to let me try, otherwise we will go the S2 route and try to get out there around noon.

If we are still having the event this is the way for me.

If we are still having the event this is the way for me.

WHAT TO YOU MEAN IF THE EVENT IS STILL ON. OF COURSE IT IS 0002011B.gif PARTY TIME IN THE DESERT 00020143.gif

I plan on leaving Friday morning around 8 or 9 and haeding back Sunday by noon or so. Looks like I'll be going 8 to S2 and up unless anything changes. I am driving alone thus far, I have room for 1 or 2 more in my truck (maybe 3) if anyone needs or wants a ride. Anyone want to convoy? I am in Chula Vista.

Where is Westmoreland? The Routes I built on Google Earth only put it 4 miles more going to El Centro and up to the 78 than taking S2. I have never been on S2, but it looks like sixes to me.

67 closed

78 closed

76 closed 00020187.gif

Are you better off going up the S-2 to the 78 or to go into El Centro and hit a road going north to the 78? Which way is faster (since neither way is a good direct route).

If you go to El Centro and take S30 north you come out at Westmoreland. You are adding about another 60 miles to your trip. 00020171.gif

Westmoreland is a suburb of El Centro to the Northwest along the 78/86 from El Centro. I don't think you may be routing the right way if you are mentioning the S2. Alot will depend on what roads are still closed come Friday and what the Harris fire does tonight and tomorrow {will it be along the 8 come Friday morning?}.

The best route for us in southbay area is up the 67 through Ramona, east on the 78 until the bakery, north on the 79 until the big power transfer station, eastish on S2 until Montezuma Road, go through Borrego Springs and then south to the 78 again and to the camp-out. Sounds odd, but it gives you a chance to refuel in Borrego Springs after driving all that way should you need to, or if you haven't been up that way before it is about the right length and time for grabbing a lot of caches along the way.

After saying all that I don't think it will be possible with road closures.

Probably your best way is the 8 to S2 at the bottom of the grade going through Ocotillo north until you hit the 78 and turn east. Much longer, but may be our only option.

Of course the above mentioned short-cut through the Diablo Drop-off is always an option :huh::lol:

As everyone keeps mentioning most of the roads are closed coming northwest out of San Diego to Ocotillo Wells due to the fire, except I-8. I am probably not going to make the camp-out since I work of CDF and have only made it home one night since Sunday. I find myself a little busy at the moment. If I don't make it have some fun for me.

Westmoreland is a suburb of El Centro to the Northwest along the 78/86 from El Centro. I don't think you may be routing the right way if you are mentioning the S2. Alot will depend on what roads are still closed come Friday and what the Harris fire does tonight and tomorrow {will it be along the 8 come Friday morning?}.

The best route for us in southbay area is up the 67 through Ramona, east on the 78 until the bakery, north on the 79 until the big power transfer station, eastish on S2 until Montezuma Road, go through Borrego Springs and then south to the 78 again and to the camp-out. Sounds odd, but it gives you a chance to refuel in Borrego Springs after driving all that way should you need to, or if you haven't been up that way before it is about the right length and time for grabbing a lot of caches along the way.

After saying all that I don't think it will be possible with road closures.

Probably your best way is the 8 to S2 at the bottom of the grade going through Ocotillo north until you hit the 78 and turn east. Much longer, but may be our only option.

Of course the above mentioned short-cut through the Diablo Drop-off is always an option :lol::huh:

I was looking at S2 and el Centro as alternate routes. Last year I took the 8 to the 79 north to Julian then East on the 78 to Split Mtn. Road. If the roads around Julian are closed, S2 and El Centro are options from the 8 and they seem to be equal distances. I could fuel in El Centro or the Blu Inn on the 78 if I went that way. Your route through Ramona, 79, Montezuma Rd and Borrego would come into play if there were a problem on the 8.

I dont care how I get there I just wanna get there!

I am still accepting applications for passengers (up to 3) and convoy participants.

I'm pulling a 17' trailer and the I8-east route is probably the best route for me as I don't want to slow traffic too much on the single lane roads up the mountains via either Ramona or 79 from I8.

From the the S2/I8 connection, my auto-router says I8-El Centro-Westmoreland to 78 is the fastest route; and the aforementioned route along the railroad tracks is 30 miles shorter but about 10 minutes longer.

Westmoreland it is! Plus, there's a gas station there to top off, and a good taco stand just down the road.

Olivia! (and Ginger!) and I are heading out around 1p. But, unless you're pulling a trailer, you probably don't want to convoy with us as I am anticipating a very slow pace.

Hi Everybody!

Just a final word,........er, maybe second to final.........

**********THE CAMPOUT IS BEING HELD AS PLANNED*****************

If you aren't sure of an alternate route due to road closures, check Skillet's and Chuy's posts on this thread, then look at a map. Those routes aren't much further, and we may be able to return via 78/67 on the way home. Use your best judgement and be safe!

Of coarse, the CITO Event will go hand in hand with the campout......

We just finished my 'Vampire Chili' :( and it is simmering on the stove........however, our eyes are burning and watering now, we don't know if it's due to the smoke or the chili! :(

So, we're off to Costco to pick up last minute stuff.

SEE YOU ALL THERE :(:laughing:

The Splashes :(;)

Hi Everybody!

If you aren't sure of an alternate route due to road closures, check Skillet's and Chuy's posts on this thread, then look at a map. Those routes aren't much further, and we may be able to return via 78/67 on the way home. Use your best judgement and be safe!

We just finished my 'Vampire Chili' :( and it is simmering on the stove........however, our eyes are burning and watering now, we don't know if it's due to the smoke or the chili! :(

SEE YOU ALL THERE :(:laughing:

We are still planning to go! I do have a question though. How do you get to S2 if that part of 8 is closed? Couldn't you take 8 to Japatul Rd/Japatul Valley Rd then up to 79 to banner?

TA

Edited by Team Adelos

Hi Everybody!

We just finished my 'Vampire Chili' :laughing: and it is simmering on the stove........however, our eyes are burning and watering now, we don't know if it's due to the smoke or the chili! :(

SEE YOU ALL THERE :(;)

We are still planning to go! I do have a question though. How do you get to S2 if that part of 8 is closed? Couldn't you take 8 to Japatul Rd/Japatul Valley Rd then up to 79 to banner?

TA

Yes, you could go that way, but Julian has been evacuated and 79 comes out in Julian. So, unless they lift the evac for Julian, don't think that's possible. I-8 should remain open unless something wierd happens.

Splashman says we are going I-8 to Forrester Road (S-30) , that comes out in Westmorland, then 86 to 78 and we're there! It's a little faster than S-2 and we can gas up in Westmorland.

Again, check you maps to make sure I got this right. Don't want to be responsible for giving bad info.

You might want to check with the CHP before leaving. If any of this is wrong, I'll have Splashman post the correct info. when he gets home.

-ette :(

Julian areaALL WAYS IN AND OUT OF JULIAN ARE CLOSED TO THE PUBLICPaumaSR 76 -- Pauma Reservation Road to SR 79ClosedRancho San DiegoSR 94 -- Steele Canyon to Forest Gate ClosedSanta YsabelSR 79 -- SR 78 Bear Valley ParkwayClosedValley CenterSR 76 -- Cole Grade to SR 79ClosedValley CenterSR 76 -- Mission to Old Hwy 395ClosedRamonaSR 67 -- NB Scripps/Poway Parkway to Highland ValleyClosedJamulLawson Valley -- entire lengthClosedJamulSkyline Truck Trail -- entire lengthClosedJamulHoned Springs -- SR 94 to Lyons Valley JamulHARRIS RANCH RD - Re-openedPotrero areaTHE TECATE BORDER CROSSING AND POTRERO AREA ROADS - Re-openedOtayOtay Lakes -- Wueste to SR 94ClosedFallbrookI-15 off ramps to Mission ClosedLakesideWildcat Canyon -- Willow to San VicenteClosedValley CenterCouser Canyon -- SR 76 to LilacClosedValley Center Lilac -- SR 76 to Couser CanyonClosedEscondidoVia Rancho Pkwy -- I-15 to Del Dios HwyClosedEscondidoVia Loma Vista -- Via Rancho Pkwy to endClosedEscondidoQuit Hills -- Felicita to Via Rancho PkwyClosedCMR = County Maintained Road

Skillet

How about going on the 79 from Temecula to Warner Springs to the S-2 to 78. Is that open?

I'd love to come to the event but coming by way of the 8 and Plaster City/ Westmoreland is a 3 hour drive. Hopefully they'll open up the way through Ramona but now they've evacuated Mesa Grande I.R. and with Julian threatened I doubt we're getting through to ABSP the easy way.

Dave