San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

On Monday, we're grabbing Phil's Memorial Cache via the Sunset Trail (see #3 on the map) and fixing Cougar Country on the way in (I have Mr. Magoo's permission). Then hitting the back road (starts off as Skyline Dr) to visit the Nobel Cache.

My wife and kids may join us on Monday, so, I won't have room for anyone else, and we'll be starting later, around 0800. I do have an extra Adventure Pass to loan out.

I will be in for the Monday trip and I have some seats in my truck if anyone wants to carpool.

:anicute: Ian.... We could carpool with you or you with us. Is it 0800 at Lake Jennings? We don't have an adventure pass.....it's too late now to get a day pass. Chuy! we may need to borrow yours.

I'm probably going to get up to the area a little early and grab a few caches up there and then meet you folks at the trailhead off of Sunrise Highway for the hike to Phils Memorial Cache. If that is not going to be your first cache of the morning then let me know and I can meet folks somewhere else. Most of you have my cell phone number.

On Monday, we're grabbing Phil's Memorial Cache via the Sunset Trail (see #3 on the map) and fixing Cougar Country on the way in (I have Mr. Magoo's permission). Then hitting the back road (starts off as Skyline Dr) to visit the Nobel Cache.

My wife and kids may join us on Monday, so, I won't have room for anyone else, and we'll be starting later, around 0800. I do have an extra Adventure Pass to loan out.

I will be in for the Monday trip and I have some seats in my truck if anyone wants to carpool.

:anicute: Ian.... We could carpool with you or you with us. Is it 0800 at Lake Jennings? We don't have an adventure pass.....it's too late now to get a day pass. Chuy! we may need to borrow yours.

I'm probably going to get up to the area a little early and grab a few caches up there and then meet you folks at the trailhead off of Sunrise Highway for the hike to Phils Memorial Cache. If that is not going to be your first cache of the morning then let me know and I can meet folks somewhere else. Most of you have my cell phone number.

Jahoadi & John, I'll bring the extra pass.

0800 at the trailhead is a good time to aim for to beat the heat. I told my girls to be ready to head out by 0730, but you never know. I'll call one of you all and let you know when I'm headed out, but no need to wait for us as I anticipate a very slow hike. I'm bringing my FRS - set at channel 3.

:blink: Ian.... We could carpool with you or you with us. Is it 0800 at Lake Jennings? We don't have an adventure pass.....it's too late now to get a day pass. Chuy! we may need to borrow yours.

J&J I can pick you guys up on the way by if you want, I will have Piglit with me and she is shedding, so would be best to take my truck. I have a day pass in there, I always keep one in the glovebox :anicute: , should the need arise! I need the memorial cache and the others in that immediate area. I will leave my house at 7 and pick you up by 7:15 if you wish.

:blink: Ian.... We could carpool with you or you with us. Is it 0800 at Lake Jennings? We don't have an adventure pass.....it's too late now to get a day pass. Chuy! we may need to borrow yours.

J&J I can pick you guys up on the way by if you want, I will have Piglit with me and she is shedding, so would be best to take my truck. I have a day pass in there, I always keep one in the glovebox :anicute: , should the need arise! I need the memorial cache and the others in that immediate area. I will leave my house at 7 and pick you up by 7:15 if you wish.

I'll meet you guys at the trailhead too. I already got Phil's but I need a couple more in the area.

Plus I have a milestone to hit. Well, actually I already got it but I want something with a little more altitude.

I'll meet you guys at the trailhead too. I already got Phil's but I need a couple more in the area.

Plus I have a milestone to hit. Well, actually I already got it but I want something with a little more altitude.

I wish I could go with you all. Good luck on 2K Jerry! :D

I am thinking of doing the Otay Mountain Truck Trail or even the Bear Valley area on September 22nd. Both are fun, all day excursions. Otay has some awesome views. I just feel like driving more than hiking lately. :laughing: Just a heads up incase anyone wanted to tag along. I will have more details later, if the temps keep going down like they are suppose too. :ph34r:

I am doing some honey-do's and business trips over the next two weeks. :ph34r:

TA

I am thinking of doing the Otay Mountain Truck Trail or even the Bear Valley area on September 22nd. Both are fun, all day excursions. Otay has some awesome views. I just feel like driving more than hiking lately. :) Just a heads up incase anyone wanted to tag along. I will have more details later, if the temps keep going down like they are suppose too. :)

I am doing some honey-do's and business trips over the next two weeks. :)

TA

Always up for a truck trail! I'm in!

Call the Ranger's station before heading out to Bear Valley. It is currently closed due to fire hazard, as is Secret Canyon. There was no mention on the Cleveland National Forest website when I checked yesterday afternoon, but I saw the closures with my own two eyes.

Edited by Chuy!

Call the Ranger's station before heading out to Bear Valley. It is currently closed due to fire hazard, as is Secret Canyon. There was no mention on the Cleveland National Forest website when I checked yesterday afternoon, but I saw the closures with my own two eyes.

I saw that too. Hopefully it will open with the temps dropping. I think most of the Cleveland NF is closed. Fire hazard is listed as EXTREME.

I saw that too. Hopefully it will open with the temps dropping. I think most of the Cleveland NF is closed. Fire hazard is listed as EXTREME.

So does that mean it is going to up the Difficulty rating on the cache?

So does that mean it is going to up the Difficulty rating on the cache?

:o

Funny, it was pushing 105 on Monday when I was out at Secret Canyon, but I didn't see any "Closed" signs. Of course I got "lost" and had to take a detour...

Funny, it was pushing 105 on Monday when I was out at Secret Canyon, but I didn't see any "Closed" signs. Of course I got "lost" and had to take a detour...

It is interesting. The forest site does not show is closed, but the Extreme condition shows the trails closed.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/fire/for...eme/index.shtml

I am sure the heat dried up much of the vegetation. Hopefully the condition will lower; I have been wanting to go back there to explore some of the smaller, jeep sized paths. B)

It is interesting. The forest site does not show is closed, but the Extreme condition shows the trails closed.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/fire/for...eme/index.shtml

I am sure the heat dried up much of the vegetation. Hopefully the condition will lower; I have been wanting to go back there to explore some of the smaller, jeep sized paths. B)

This was in the San Diego Union that all national forest land south if I-8 as well as Pine Mountain Road and Fred Canyon Road north of I-8 will close. Orosco Ridge Road in the Palomar area will also close. Corral Canyon and Wildomer off-highway vehicle areas will close. Officals are restricting use in the Cleveland National Forest because of an extreme risk of wildfire. B)B)

A few summers ago I did an offroading trip in Colorado. It was an amazing trip with beautiful scenery, fairly difficult trails, but unfortunately, very few caches.

Well I'd like to make a return trip to this area and am happy to report many more caches. (Thanks in part to Rocket Man)

I'd like to see how much interest there is amongst any San Diegans to make the trip out to this incredible state. I'd hope to go in early August 2008. If you go too early in the summer some of the mountain passes are still impassable due to snow.

Dave

A few summers ago I did an offroading trip in Colorado. It was an amazing trip with beautiful scenery, fairly difficult trails, but unfortunately, very few caches.

Well I'd like to make a return trip to this area and am happy to report many more caches. (Thanks in part to Rocket Man)

I'd like to see how much interest there is amongst any San Diegans to make the trip out to this incredible state. I'd hope to go in early August 2008. If you go too early in the summer some of the mountain passes are still impassable due to snow.

Dave

Need lockers? I would be interested.. plenty of time to plan days off.

Dave

Mnay of the trails are lke this. Not technically too difficult, but the cost of a mistake is high. It's a long way down. You can see where the trail is gonig at the top. This trail is called Red Cone.

25.jpg

When I went back there in '04 I was driving my unlocked Xterra. I did fine on all the trails. I tried a few obstacles on some trails that I had to back off of but there were bypasses.

I would suggest buying the Charles Wells book "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails". Most of the trails I did that summer were in this book.

The trip I took was a week long and we crossed the central part of Colorado. We started a bit soutwest of Denver and ended in the Ouray area. It was a grinding trip because there wasn't much time to relax. We would wheel during the day, set up camp, eat, break down the tents, and be on our way again. This time I want to relax a bit more and find caches too. I'd love to visit some of the same trails however I also want to find cache rich areas. Although some of the most beautiful and more remote scenery is not the area to find many caches.

Here is the link to the trails that I did in '04.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/gox/gox2004.gdb

This is the link to the trip GOX Colorado Crossing.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/gox/news.php

I hope we can get some San Diegan to go. I'd like to get some of my offorading buddies to go too. But I'd rather take cachers because the 'obsession with little boxes' is not considered a waste of their time.

Dave

Every August, various and sundry members of my family meets in Silverton for the nth Annual Continental Divide Trek and Rain Fiesta (where n=28 in 2007). It is true that the high passes are usually clear by August (unless there is an early snow...) but we didn't add the "Rain Fiesta" just to be funny. Every morning starts out gloriously -- not a cloud in the sky. By noon, the thunderheads are building and by mid-afternoon, it's dumping buckets and the lightning is a spectacular (and also quite deadly if you get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.) That's the beauty of Colorado. There's always something exciting about the weather that just happened, is happening now or will happen in 15 minutes.

Regarding when the high passes clear of snow, it's always a crap shoot. Sometimes they are clear before Memorial Day. Sometimes it's not until the end of July...

Regarding equipment...well, when we lived there, we went almost everywhere in a 1985 Subaru GL. It had 4WD and low range transmission. It also had minimal clearance and an somewhat anemic engine. But there were few roads that it could not traverse (provided that you were very picky about your path over the rocks.) We got a lot of funny looks from guys with big tires, high clearance and more antennas than a Russian spy trawler but we figured that it was their problem, not ours.

As dhsundance says, not too technically difficult but the cost of a mistake can be high. (Particularly the shelf roads in the San Juans...)

As for interest, well, I go back every chance I get (I was there just a few days ago...) For me, at least, the Colorado Rockies are the best place on Earth...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Dave

Hard to say what work will be doing this far in advance, but count me in. This is the kind of camping I most enjoy.

Dave

Hard to say what work will be doing this far in advance, but count me in. This is the kind of camping I most enjoy.

A whole week sounds amazing. I would want more details, but I would take time off for it for sure. That freedom to drive and camp, etc. sounds like a good business to run instead of working behind a desk. :huh:

A whole week sounds amazing. I would want more details, but I would take time off for it for sure. That freedom to drive and camp, etc. sounds like a good business to run instead of working behind a desk. :rolleyes:

I've been communicating with RocketMan about this and he thinks it would be a good idea to mix this with an Event cache for the people of Colorado too, like this event cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...46-27043b6764ae

He also has several series of offroading caches which look to be mostly moderate off-roading with lots of caches. I'd like to get in some of the same trails that I did back in '04 despite the fact that there are very few caches on these trails.

Here is a cache on a trail called Wheeler Lake which is an amazing trail with a crystal clear lake at the top.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8f-c30dc8ce842c

I'll do some research and compare trails in my Charles Wells book, look at cache rich areas, and communicate with the Colorado cachers and come up with a plan. I'd like to be able to camp for a few days and maybe mix in some motel stays for my wife's sake.

Dave

I've been communicating with RocketMan about this and he thinks it would be a good idea to mix this with an Event cache for the people of Colorado too, like this event cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...46-27043b6764ae

He also has several series of offroading caches which look to be mostly moderate off-roading with lots of caches. I'd like to get in some of the same trails that I did back in '04 despite the fact that there are very few caches on these trails.

Here is a cache on a trail called Wheeler Lake which is an amazing trail with a crystal clear lake at the top.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8f-c30dc8ce842c

I'll do some research and compare trails in my Charles Wells book, look at cache rich areas, and communicate with the Colorado cachers and come up with a plan. I'd like to be able to camp for a few days and maybe mix in some motel stays for my wife's sake.

Dave

How long would it take to drive there? or would this be a fly to CO and rent a jeep week. :rolleyes:

Edited by Team Adelos

I drove to Colorado three times last year. If you don't want to cache too much along the way, you can get there in two-days of travel. On my last trip, it only took me eight days to get back . . . :rolleyes: Once I got to Ouray, I had to stay a while in that beautiful mountain town. :huh:

I drove out to Denver in 1 day. It took me 24 hours with a killer buffet lunch in Las Vegas. I never had to stop for food again- just potty breaks and fuel. This of course was pre-caching. I beleive it's a thousand miles- so 2 good days of travel with light caches along the way (preferably in the lampskirts at the gas stations to save time.)

Dave

How long would it take to drive there? or would this be a fly to CO and rent a jeep week. :huh:

Depends on what part of Colorado you are going to and how fast you drive (and how many caches you stop to pick up along the way...)

Ms. LLOT and I have done the trip to Silverton (just a wee bit south of Ouray) in about 16 hours. Denver/Boulder is about 22 hours away.

On the other hand, flying SAN -> DEN is about 2 1/4 not counting the time before your flight, the time spenting waiting because your plane and/or flight crew was delayed somewhere, the time waiting for your luggage to show up and the time it takes to get to the rental car place (a shuttle ride from the terminal...) Oh, and did I mention that afternoons in August are absolutely the "best" time to fly over the Rockies (if you are into roller coasters, that is...)

How long would it take to drive there? or would this be a fly to CO and rent a jeep week. :D

Depends on what part of Colorado you are going to and how fast you drive (and how many caches you stop to pick up along the way...)

Ms. LLOT and I have done the trip to Silverton (just a wee bit south of Ouray) in about 16 hours. Denver/Boulder is about 22 hours away.

On the other hand, flying SAN -> DEN is about 2 1/4 not counting the time before your flight, the time spenting waiting because your plane and/or flight crew was delayed somewhere, the time waiting for your luggage to show up and the time it takes to get to the rental car place (a shuttle ride from the terminal...) Oh, and did I mention that afternoons in August are absolutely the "best" time to fly over the Rockies (if you are into roller coasters, that is...)

Now all I need is a baby sitter so I can get the wife to go too! :D

How long would it take to drive there? or would this be a fly to CO and rent a jeep week. :)

Now all I need is a baby sitter so I can get the wife to go too! :)

Oops, wrong post :(

Edited by Snake & Rooster
I'm meeting chuy! and ginger! early ( 0530 in East Cty) for a Lake Hodges Old Glory historical cache hike tomorrow. He's gonna post the where to meet spot later.

Take plenty of tick repellant, and remember . . .

Y'ALL GONNA DIE!

:) Maybe I should look at the cache page B-4 saying "sure" next time...!

Jodi just wear those pants with the tick traps.... :( It's actually a fun hike! :) Edited by TrailGators

I'm meeting chuy! and ginger! early ( 0530 in East Cty) for a Lake Hodges Old Glory historical cache hike tomorrow. He's gonna post the where to meet spot later.

Meeting in East County at 0530 at Fire Station Park n Ride at Grossmont Bld and Bancroft; coords are N32 46.460 W117 00.100.

Looks like trailhead starts at Moon Song Ct and Poblado Rd, but we can probably get closer by driving into Moon Song to N33 02.622 W117 05.344. We will try and hit the trail by 0600.

I hope ticks are sleeping; I haven't seen one in months and I've been hiking through some brush.

Meeting in East County at 0530 at Fire Station Park n Ride at Grossmont Bld and Bancroft; coords are N32 46.460 W117 00.100.

Looks like trailhead starts at Moon Song Ct and Poblado Rd, but we can probably get closer by driving into Moon Song to N33 02.622 W117 05.344. We will try and hit the trail by 0600.

I hope ticks are sleeping; I haven't seen one in months and I've been hiking through some brush.

I see you all made it back safely. Glad to hear that you missed all of the ticks. They are there. You must not have taken the more "scenic" route that I took back. :(

Many 4x4 trails are closed from fires, etc., so I was thinking about Otay Mountain Truck Trail this weekend. It should be open, unless someone knows different. Saturday morning is the plan. Anyone is welcome to join. The terrain is a dirt, grated road for most of the path. There are some off-shoots I am interested in exploring and 4x4 may be helpful. Nothing extreme though. It would be about 6+ hours with great views.

TA

Many 4x4 trails are closed from fires, etc., so I was thinking about Otay Mountain Truck Trail this weekend. It should be open, unless someone knows different. Saturday morning is the plan. Anyone is welcome to join. The terrain is a dirt, grated road for most of the path. There are some off-shoots I am interested in exploring and 4x4 may be helpful. Nothing extreme though. It would be about 6+ hours with great views.

TA

Halfway on the truck trail, I may head north onto Otay Lakes Rd. I do not have any of those caches. Does anyone know if you can drive all the way through to connect to the main Otay Lakes Rd? I seem to be talking to myself. :)

TA

TA

Halfway on the truck trail, I may head north onto Otay Lakes Rd. I do not have any of those caches. Does anyone know if you can drive all the way through to connect to the main Otay Lakes Rd? I seem to be talking to myself. :P

TA

:) I'm just waiting for you to answer your last question :)

TA

Halfway on the truck trail, I may head north onto Otay Lakes Rd. I do not have any of those caches. Does anyone know if you can drive all the way through to connect to the main Otay Lakes Rd? I seem to be talking to myself. :)

TA

If you are talking about trying to exit the truck trail near the cache called "1000 Trail Overlook", the time I went you couldn't exit here. We couldn't find a way out since the road on google near the park isn't really there and the park has all the accesses blocked-off from that road you follow don to it. We turned around and went back up the hill to the saddle near "On a Clear Day" and then continued down to the 94 near "Still Standing IV". Although if you don't want to go all the way to the 94 side, you could just go back out the way you came in from the west.

If you are talking about trying to exit the truck trail near the cache called "1000 Trail Overlook", the time I went you couldn't exit here. We couldn't find a way out since the road on google near the park isn't really there and the park has all the accesses blocked-off from that road you follow don to it. We turned around and went back up the hill to the saddle near "On a Clear Day" and then continued down to the 94 near "Still Standing IV". Although if you don't want to go all the way to the 94 side, you could just go back out the way you came in from the west.

The only other advice would be, if you drive in from the west, you should drive past several of the caches and you will find a small road that cuts back closer to the cache. This can save you several hikes (and time).

The only other advice would be, if you drive in from the west, you should drive past several of the caches and you will find a small road that cuts back closer to the cache. This can save you several hikes (and time).

Sounds good. There are a couple spots I am looking to maybe check out, depending on who goes.

TA

TA

Halfway on the truck trail, I may head north onto Otay Lakes Rd. I do not have any of those caches. Does anyone know if you can drive all the way through to connect to the main Otay Lakes Rd? I seem to be talking to myself. ;)

TA

;) I'm just waiting for you to answer your last question ;)

;)

TA

Halfway on the truck trail, I may head north onto Otay Lakes Rd. I do not have any of those caches. Does anyone know if you can drive all the way through to connect to the main Otay Lakes Rd? I seem to be talking to myself. ;)

TA

;) I'm just waiting for you to answer your last question ;)

;)

Yes, you can go all the way thru (from the prison to Otay Lake Rd.) Great road. Could be done in a Yugo! ... but then again who would care if the Yugo went off the cliff!

ThePolarBear and myself will be doing many of the Mt. Woodson Caches up in the Poway area on Saturday. Anyone who wishes to join in is more the welcome. We will be meeting at Woody Trailhead ll GC1565Y at 7:00am. We will then Carpool over to Lake Poway and grab GCHZZR to begin the hike. We will grab the caches around Lake Poway and then hike up the Mt. Woodson Trail and down the service road on the other side to the location of the car(s). If anyone is interested please let me know otherwise we will be leaving at 7:00am sharp.

TA

Halfway on the truck trail, I may head north onto Otay Lakes Rd. I do not have any of those caches. Does anyone know if you can drive all the way through to connect to the main Otay Lakes Rd? I seem to be talking to myself. :o

TA

That trail is called Minnewanna Truck Trail on most maps. There is a gate but it's usually open. You can start your off-roading there to see if it's open. Where it meets Otay Truck Trail is called Doghouse Junction.

There is a 70% chance of showers tomorrow, so you all be careful - that dirt road up Minnewanna has no room for error in some parts.

Edited by Chuy!

*****CAMPOUT UPDATE*********

We now have our 'official' campout logo on t-shirts, cups, thongs...etc....thanks to Caching Widow who

generously used her talents to design it for us!! Go to the campout page.....GC15J5X and click on the

CafePress link and shop away!! There is one rule however..........anybody that purchases the 'thong' will be required to model it at the campfire!

Johaodi has 'volunteered' to take over the dessert contest! She has some great ideas on the judging

catagories, it will be fun and very YUMMY! The desserts were a huge hit last year, I don't think there

was a crumb left it was soooooo good! So, think about what you want to whip up and bring it with

you. We will have neat prizes.......or maybe ca$h! Contact Jodi if you have any ???.

We also will be having a SUPER grand prize for the raffle. It is something very special made by

one of our cachers that you will all like and most will identify with it.

Hints may follow later............ :D

Questions.......just e-mail or call any of us........we may not have the answers, but we'd love to hear from you! We're just a little over a month to go.......Yahoo :laughing:

The Splashes :D:)

We now have our 'official' campout logo on t-shirts, cups, thongs...etc....thanks to Caching Widow who

generously used her talents to design it for us!! Go to the campout page.....GC15J5X and click on the

CafePress link and shop away!! There is one rule however..........anybody that purchases the 'thong' will be required to model it at the campfire!

Johaodi has 'volunteered' to take over the dessert contest! She has some great ideas on the judging

catagories, it will be fun and very YUMMY! The desserts were a huge hit last year, I don't think there

was a crumb left it was soooooo good! So, think about what you want to whip up and bring it with

you. We will have neat prizes.......or maybe ca$h! Contact Jodi if you have any ???.

We also will be having a SUPER grand prize for the raffle. It is something very special made by

Questions.......just e-mail or call any of us........we may not have the answers, but we'd love to hear from you! We're just a little over a month to go.......Yahoo :D

The Splashes :):D

You guys rock!

I hereby volunteer my services as a chili judge; I have two years experience :laughing:

Olivia! would like to volunteer for the dessert judging.

Questions.......just e-mail or call any of us........we may not have the answers, but we'd love to hear from you! We're just a little over a month to go.......Yahoo :D

The Splashes :):D

You guys rock!

I hereby volunteer my services as a chili judge; I have two years experience :laughing:

Olivia! would like to volunteer for the dessert judging.

WARNING: I'm going to have a hissy-fit if I don't receive a preview photo or two of the grand prize.

Harmon

Questions.......just e-mail or call any of us........we may not have the answers, but we'd love to hear from you! We're just a little over a month to go.......Yahoo :huh:

The Splashes <_<:huh:

I sure hope FATTBOY doesn't buy the thong. 00020173.gif

10 new Caches placed this weekend and more to come. 0002011B.gif

I went to the website. I see that you can order boxers but I didn't see the thong <_<

I went to the website. I see that you can order boxers but I didn't see the thong <_<

Are we going to have an underwear party around the fire or something? :huh: I can see Fattboy being the first one at the campfire... :huh: