San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Be patient, you eyes have to adjust.

According to Bear Grylls on the episode of Man vs. Wild when he was in Africa, it takes about 30-45 minutes for the human eye to fully adapt to see in darkness. :)

Isn't that why pirates had eye patches? They switched it over when below deck and back when above deck. :o

Be patient, you eyes have to adjust.
According to Bear Grylls on the episode of Man vs. Wild when he was in Africa, it takes about 30-45 minutes for the human eye to fully adapt to see in darkness. :)
Isn't that why pirates had eye patches? They switched it over when below deck and back when above deck. :o
Aye matey! :) Edited by TrailGators
Gee, Harmon, you're really selling this event!!! :D Let's tick off the points...(oh no - I left out ticks!):

1. Hiking in the dark (moonlight's great but face it - it's gonna be dark!!)

2. 7 miles roundtrip (uphill all ways, based on previous experience - I vividly remember Chuy!'s Wild Turkey cache, which only FELT like 7 miles!)

3. Last but not least you tell me there are Necromancers (lying in wait for the vertically challenged!) and sleeping snakes to contend with, too?! :)

Sheesh...seems the least a nice cowboy like you could do is offer to come along and protect me!! :lol:

:) I'm still confused. Did I just miss the final decison about: the day, the time, the location, the meeting spot or teh dinner spot? :)

Not sure if it is finalized other than a night walk up in the Carveacre area starting sometime around 4PM with the possability of dinner beforehand for those who want to eat. Anyhow, I have all the caches up there done and am just going along for some nightime picture opportunities. I do have an SUV, so if parking at the top of Carveacre is a problem, I could shuttle people up from the cache Holey Poley if they want.

Gee, Harmon, you're really selling this event!!! :D Let's tick off the points...(oh no - I left out ticks!):

2. 7 miles roundtrip (uphill all ways, based on previous experience - I vividly remember Chuy!'s Wild Turkey cache, which only FELT like 7 miles!)

3. Last but not least you tell me there are Necromancers (lying in wait for the vertically challenged!) and sleeping snakes to contend with, too?! :)

Sheesh...seems the least a nice cowboy like you could do is offer to come along and protect me!! :lol:

:) I'm still confused. Did I just miss the final decison about: the day, the time, the location, the meeting spot or teh dinner spot? :)

Not sure if it is finalized other than a night walk up in the Carveacre area starting sometime around 4PM with the possability of dinner beforehand for those who want to eat. Anyhow, I have all the caches up there done and am just going along for some nightime picture opportunities. I do have an SUV, so if parking at the top of Carveacre is a problem, I could shuttle people up from the cache Holey Poley if they want.

Has what originally was to be a night hike under a nearly full moon turned into a late afternoon hike beginning at 4pm and likely to conclude before darkness to avoid all the monsters and critters of the night. Bummer. I would have been up for an early dinner and a little later start to add to the experience of hiking in the cooler temperatures and under the cover of darkness. Eerily fun.

<snip>

I have Friday off, so I plan on not doing my house chores (they never get done) because I have a responsibility to cache with the jeep.. This weekend is dedicated to doing that, just need to pick where.

M2, Superdave, others,

Interested in going off road on the Palomar Divide or somewhere else?

TA

Unfortunately I'm heading up to the Bay area this weekend -- or I'd have been in for sure. Keep me in mind for another time!

Has what originally was to be a night hike under a nearly full moon turned into a late afternoon hike beginning at 4pm and likely to conclude before darkness to avoid all the monsters and critters of the night. Bummer. I would have been up for an early dinner and a little later start to add to the experience of hiking in the cooler temperatures and under the cover of darkness. Eerily fun.

I think that is what Miragee was actually going for, and I was going to hang around until after dark either way for photos near the wind caves themselves and maybe over near How Many Peaks area. I think a 6ish or so start time would give a better mood for the hike under mostly the moon on the way back from whatever turn-around point is choosen {Chevy No Va?}. The rocks up there should look awesome under the moonlight and for those that have concerns about darkness, it is quite amazing how much can be seen on a moon-lit night once your eyes adjust and you "see" correctly.

So I am game either way, but like lostguy would prefer a slightly later start getting mostly moonlight for the hike. But, will be hanging around up there after dark anyhow.

3. Last but not least you tell me there are Necromancers (lying in wait for the vertically challenged!) and sleeping snakes to contend with, too?! :laughing:

Sheesh...seems the least a nice cowboy like you could do is offer to come along and protect me!! :o

:lol: I'm still confused. Did I just miss the final decison about: the day, the time, the location, the meeting spot or teh dinner spot? :anitongue:

I think that is what Miragee was actually going for, and I was going to hang around until after dark either way for photos near the wind caves themselves and maybe over near How Many Peaks area. I think a 6ish or so start time would give a better mood for the hike under mostly the moon on the way back from whatever turn-around point is choosen {Chevy No Va?}. The rocks up there should look awesome under the moonlight and for those that have concerns about darkness, it is quite amazing how much can be seen on a moon-lit night once your eyes adjust and you "see" correctly.

So I am game either way, but like lostguy would prefer a slightly later start getting mostly moonlight for the hike. But, will be hanging around up there after dark anyhow.

I'm flexible. Maybe we could meet to eat at 4PM? Do we know who all is going?

PALOMAR DIVIDE on Sunday, July 29th

On Sunday, The Dillon Gang and I are going off-road on the Palomar Divide. Starting time will probably be around 9am, but we still have to come up with a meeting place and starting point. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case you would like to join us for a afternoon of caching in the mountains. We will follow up with more details.

Information about the Palomar Divide:

Distance: ~25 miles

Driving Time: ~3.5 hours with no caches. We could probably double that with the stops and a hike.

Difficulty: 3 out of 10, This trail will require higher-clearance. 4x4 is more fun, but should not be required.

All are welcome to join us. I have never been on this trail, but am told that it is a great drive with wonderful views, and we can cache too! There is a trail to hike called The Barker Valley Trail and appears to be about a ~200 foot decent/acsent. The other caches are off the main divide.

TA

Edited by Team Adelos

We're interested in the later start time, too - I've got a commitment earlier in the day, and the cooler temps/moonlight are big selling points. :anitongue:

We're interested in the later start time, too - I've got a commitment earlier in the day, and the cooler temps/moonlight are big selling points. :anitongue:

Cooler temperatures and moonlight? Mercy me ... that always brings out the dreaded Lipsuckin' Booger Flies.

Y'all gonna die!

Edited by SD Rowdies

Okay, boys and girls . . . here is a little more information about tomorrow night. :)

I think the moon will be coming up tomorrow night at about 7:20 p.m. The sun will set around 7:53 p.m. We will get to see a "sunset/moonrise" which could offer some great photography opportunities depending on where we are when we see the moon come up as the setting sun illuminates the wonderful rock formations.

What time works best for everyone? At 6:00, it will be a lot cooler out this way . . . :)

Okay, boys and girls . . . here is a little more information about tomorrow night. :o

I think the moon will be coming up tomorrow night at about 7:20 p.m. The sun will set around 7:53 p.m. We will get to see a "sunset/moonrise" which could offer some great photography opportunities depending on where we are when we see the moon come up as the setting sun illuminates the wonderful rock formations.

What time works best for everyone? At 6:00, it will be a lot cooler out this way . . . :)

Trailgator and I are good for 6pm. We are going 4x4 in that area earlier in the day. :)

On Sunday, The Dillon Gang and I are going off-road on the Palomar Divide. Starting time will probably be around 9am, but we still have to come up with a meeting place and starting point. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case you would like to join us for a afternoon of caching in the mountains. We will follow up with more details.

Driving Time: ~3.5 hours with no caches. We could probably double that with the stops and a hike.

Difficulty: 3 out of 10, This trail will require higher-clearance. 4x4 is more fun, but should not be required.

All are welcome to join us. I have never been on this trail, but am told that it is a great drive with wonderful views, and we can cache too! There is a trail to hike called The Barker Valley Trail and appears to be about a ~200 foot decent/acsent. The other caches are off the main divide.

TA

I made up to the fire tower lookout gate in my Corolla :) . Only buttomed out once; then, I had no bottom to hit :o . I would like to go but can not make it :) .

TA

I made up to the fire tower lookout gate in my Corolla :) . Only buttomed out once; then, I had no bottom to hit :) . I would like to go but can not make it :) .

Sorry you can't make it. We will leave a new cache for the you and the Corolla. :o

LAWSON on Saturday, July 28th

Since we are hiking in this area on the north side tomorrow night, Trailgators and I are going to 4x4 the Lawson and Gaskill series on the south side. Might as well clear as many as we can. [:)] I have not done this trail before but it seems that higher clearance will make a difference and 4x4 is necessary. Others are welcome to comment and join us. Our goal is to hit the caches right off the main off-road trail and aviod any significant hikes. It will be pretty warm out, so bring sun screen and a hat.

We are meeting at in the parking lot near Drats! This game is addicting! at 11:00am. Don't forget to bring water. Afterwards we will be getting some food before the night hike.

Flagman - Can your Jeep come out and play?

TA

Okay, boys and girls . . . here is a little more information about tomorrow night. :)

What time works best for everyone? At 6:00, it will be a lot cooler out this way . . . :o

6:00 sounds good to us - wherever y'all wanna meet!! :)

Harmon - so where do I get some Lipsuckin' Booger Fly repellent?! :)

What time works best for everyone? At 6:00, it will be a lot cooler out this way . . . :o

6:00 sounds good to us - wherever y'all wanna meet!! :)

Harmon - so where do I get some Lipsuckin' Booger Fly repellent?! :)

Gecko Dad of course on the cache Critters thread. In fact he'll have photos of the Lipsuckin' Booger Fly.

Since we are hiking in this area on the north side tomorrow night, Trailgators and I are going to 4x4 the Lawson and Gaskill series on the south side. Might as well clear as many as we can. [:)] I have not done this trail before but it seems that higher clearance will make a difference and 4x4 is necessary. Others are welcome to comment and join us. Our goal is to hit the caches right off the main off-road trail and aviod any significant hikes. It will be pretty warm out, so bring sun screen and a hat.

We are meeting at in the parking lot near Drats! This game is addicting! at 11:00am. Don't forget to bring water. Afterwards we will be getting some food before the night hike.

TA

Hmm, are you sure you can drive that stretch?

6PM meet at the cache "Holey Poley" then? and go from there. There is plenty of parking there; should there be a number of cars we can car pool up to the other trailhead caches to start.

6PM meet at the cache "Holey Poley" then? and go from there. There is plenty of parking there; should there be a number of cars we can car pool up to the other trailhead caches to start.

6pm at Holey Poley sounds reasonable to me and I will be there at the appointed time. See you all there.

TA

That is what I was told.. :)

6pm at Holey Poley sounds reasonable to me and I will be there at the appointed time. See you all there.

:o:) I like 6pm at Holey Poley also. See ya all there. If we work up an appetite we can always eat AFTER. r/ jodi

TA

That is what I was told.. :o

Yes, you can drive that stretch, but it is going to be a teeth-shattering experience. I drove up maybe an eighth of the way in my Tacoma (may have made it all the way if I still had the Corolla :) ) and took to walking when it seemed obvious that was faster. I just didn't have the clearance as the trail is extremely rutted. Once you get to the top, the service road gets much easier. You may be able to exit through Carveacre if the gate is open; otherwise, it's back the way to came from.

I went up on Father's day and saw lots of dads driving up in their 6-inch lifted Jeeps. They had some trouble in some spots, but I didn't see anyone get stuck. Hope the same goes for ye all.

TA

FlagMan is just finishing up the Ivy League Tour of seven states - MA, NH, VT, NY, PA, NJ, and CT. We made the mistake of encouraging the FlagSons to do well in school, and now we're going to pay for it! I fly back home late tonight and then off to attempt the Whitney Summit with the Peek-A-Boo Assault Team tomorrow morning (pray for clear weather - forecast includes chance of thunderstorms). I'll be back in SD late on August 2nd. Otherwise I'd be all over it, except for the fact that Y'all Gonna Die!

Edited by FlagMan

TA

That is what I was told.. :)

Yes, you can drive that stretch, but it is going to be a teeth-shattering experience. I drove up maybe an eighth of the way in my Tacoma (may have made it all the way if I still had the Corolla :o ) and took to walking when it seemed obvious that was faster. I just didn't have the clearance as the trail is extremely rutted. Once you get to the top, the service road gets much easier. You may be able to exit through Carveacre if the gate is open; otherwise, it's back the way to came from.

I went up on Father's day and saw lots of dads driving up in their 6-inch lifted Jeeps. They had some trouble in some spots, but I didn't see anyone get stuck. Hope the same goes for ye all.

Yeah, if the gate is open. That's why I asked.

Uh . . . the gate is definitely not open. :) In fact, even if the Forest Service gate was open, there is a new, big, green gate down at the bottom, with a "No Trespassing" sign on it. :) That is near my Don't Find This Cache . . . )

New homes are being built along that stretch of the previously-open, public-access road adjacent to Forest Service land. When the construction started, the gate went up . . .

I'll see everyone at 6:00 at Holey Poley. :o

Uh . . . the gate is definitely not open. :) In fact, even if the Forest Service gate was open, there is a new, big, green gate down at the bottom, with a "No Trespassing" sign on it. :) That is near my Don't Find This Cache . . . )

New homes are being built along that stretch of the previously-open, public-access road adjacent to Forest Service land. When the construction started, the gate went up . . .

Aha! message from the Queen of back country. I thought so but now I'm not sure which end is which in this conversation.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I think that both Ms. LLOT and I will be there. We'll probably get something to eat beforehand. (You don't want to be around Ms. LLOT if she's not fueled up -- and I can be a bit cranky myself...)

Just to clear up:

There is no gate 4X'ing to Lawson from Lyons, up Lawson 1-4; off-road trail starts around N32 42.807 W116 42.344. The gate comes into play on the Carveacre side where locals are doing construction, roughly around here, N32 44.819 W116 41.735. Miragee has caches on both ends.

Ginger and I want to complete WOMLD tomorrow am if anyone wants to join us. I have final coords, but in honor of the cache, I will be heading into Spring Canyon about a mile N of the 52, then up and over to Shepherd Canyon for some loose caches down yonder; then to WOMLD via southern trail to Fortuna. I'm looking at roughly 7-9 miles. Meet at 0600 at parking lot outside the campgrounds.

Edited by Chuy!

TA

Just a reminder to see if anyone was planning on going tomorrow morning to Palomar Mountain.

TA

Question for Miragee, the LLOT's, Jahodi, et al, did you see me waving when the 50 Miata's passed you by? I was in the Red one! (snicker, snicker).

Seen you ALL drive by, that was awesome, miatas of all colors just kept coming at us as we sat at "Holey Poley"!

Some of the pics from the trip:

P7280004.jpg

Before sunset; lostguy. Mr. WeWilldo7, Mrs. LLOT, J of J&J, Mrs. WeWillDo7, amd Mr. LLOT.

P7280007.jpg

After sunset; Piglit9, Mr. LLOT, TrailGators, lostguy, Mrs. WeWillDo7, J of J&J, and Mr. WeWillDo7.

Question for Miragee, the LLOT's, Jahodi, et al, did you see me waving when the 50 Miata's passed you by? I was in the Red one! (snicker, snicker).

:D We sure the heck did see you!!! We were specifically looking for your little red one. We were so excited to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow you have lots of hobbies.

r/ jodi

Yup . . . we sure did. That looked like fun, but we also had bunches of fun on our nearly six-mile hike.

The windcaves offered lots of opportunities for photography. :(

09403a68-dbea-4663-8d4f-3e0a644a1261.jpg

But, the trail beckoned, and soon the moon came up to light our way later on. :lol:

13d59f0a-154a-425a-b120-9aae37ad66e3.jpg

Yup . . . we sure did. That looked like fun, but we also had bunches of fun on our nearly six-mile hike.

The windcaves offered lots of opportunities for photography. :P

09403a68-dbea-4663-8d4f-3e0a644a1261.jpg

But, the trail beckoned, and soon the moon came up to light our way later on. :(

13d59f0a-154a-425a-b120-9aae37ad66e3.jpg

Great pictures of the windcaves Miragee!!! We really wanted to join you all as well as Adelos and Trailgators on the Jeep run. We've done that run before and it's really fun!

We were in Baja on a Jeep run with 17 M/C's and two buggies. We followed the coast all the way from Santo Tomas to San Quintin..........absolutely beautiful!!!!! We'll post some pics soon!

Next Jeep trip, we're In!!! Hey, did the Dillon gang finally get that Jeep??????????????

The Splashes :lol::P

Here's one of the better ones that I took:

df7fe2f6-3a67-447e-a638-82b02698451f.jpg

Wow! super silhouette Pat.

Miragee put together a great full-moon-over-Carveacer outing. Wonder if she's related to werewoves?

I always find it hard to resist looking into the shadows with Photoshop.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Miragee put together a great full-moon-over-Carveacer outing. Wonder if she's related to werewolves?
We all split just before midnight. <_<

Good plan, Miragee might be a ruthless werewolf. No wonder she lives out there not

far from Carveacre.

Actually there's something quite unexpected in the shadows of your shot.

8f7c0640-2c21-47ee-bd5f-1541948edbf3.jpg

What's that splash of bright-orange color along the right edge?

Edited by SD Rowdies
Miragee put together a great full-moon-over-Carveacer outing. Wonder if she's related to werewolves?

Good plan, Miragee might be a ruthless werewolf. No wonder she lives out there not

far from Carveacre.

Hmmm, I'm not sure....

Anyhow, that photo looks much better now! Can we get you to share a mini photoshop lesson in the Banter thread? :blink:

far from Carveacre.

I'm pretty sure that bit of orange is the hive colony of the lipsucking carveacre boogerfly necromancer...!!

And didja all notice how Harmon waits till AFTER the hike to drop the bomb that sweet little Miragee might actually be a werewolf?? No wonder we had such a howling good time...!! (Seriously, everyone, thank you so much for an amazing adventure!! WeWillDo that again!!)

We all split just before midnight. :blink:

far from Carveacre.

Hmmm, I'm not sure....

Anyhow, that photo looks much better now! Can we get you to share a mini photoshop lesson in the Banter thread? <_<

Didn't mean to make it look "better," just different so's to see into the shadows.

Okay! I'll see to the lesson tomorrow. The subject will include Sceen blend-mode, color-correction using the Curves dialog in Lab color mode, and sharpening using the L Channel of Lab color mode. Remind me what lesson number is next.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

far from Carveacre.

I'm pretty sure that bit of orange is the hive colony of the lipsucking carveacre boogerfly necromancer...!!

And didja all notice how Harmon waits till AFTER the hike to drop the bomb that sweet little Miragee might actually be a werewolf?? No wonder we had such a howling good time...!! (Seriously, everyone, thank you so much for an amazing adventure!! WeWillDo that again!!)

Sheesh, I thought everybody knew that Miragee is a werewolf. Glad the lipsucking Carveacre booger flies didn't attack you 'cause that's a dreadful experience. Actually they cause the condition that the drug companies just invented ... restless leg syndrome (RLS.) In the old days we just called it the heebie-jeebies and there wasn't any pills for it.

Edited by SD Rowdies