San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Would anyone be interested in a night hike either the 27th or 28th. The nearly-full moon will be up when the sun goes down, so there will be lots of light after dark. The westernmost caches on this Bookmark List, where there are lots of odd and wonderful rock formations, would be great to do in moonlight. :rolleyes:

I'm in, just let me know which night so I can make work arangements :D .

Would anyone be interested in a night hike either the 27th or 28th. The nearly-full moon will be up when the sun goes down, so there will be lots of light after dark. The westernmost caches on this Bookmark List, where there are lots of odd and wonderful rock formations, would be great to do in moonlight. :rolleyes:

I am interested also, but I may be doing a day hike - not sure.

If it happens on the 28th I would be interested. Have to work the day of the 28th and don't want to be wandering around all night and then work in the morning.

I am interested also, but I may be doing a day hike - not sure.

I'd be interested in a day hike. It looks like there are 17 caches that I need (at the moment). It looks like it might make sense to start around Chevy No Va and hike back to the northeast until we no va anymore... ;)

Would anyone be interested in a night hike either the 27th or 28th. The nearly-full moon will be up when the sun goes down, so there will be lots of light after dark. The westernmost caches on this Bookmark List, where there are lots of odd and wonderful rock formations, would be great to do in moonlight. :laughing:

Looks like we might be good to go. The 27th would probably be better for us as Wifey is unsure on the plans for the 29th. We may need directions and all that. :anibad:

Thanks for letting us know. I am positive Miragee will keep us informed.

How big of a room is needed for a pizza event? The last couple were pretty busy and over 60 people. Giovannis Pizza is good and they support 'all you can eat' pizza, salad and drinks for $8 adults, and $6.50 for kids. Maybe ordering at the counter would be easier so money does not have to be tracked. I have a date reserved there but I am concerned that we have out grown the location.. any thoughts?

I thought we have not had one in a while, locally, and it would be great to see everyone. Hard to get out these days.

TA

Are there plans to schedule a date/time for this, or has it been superceded by other plans...?? Inquiring minds (and tummies) want to know...! ;)

How big of a room is needed for a pizza event? The last couple were pretty busy and over 60 people. Giovannis Pizza is good and they support 'all you can eat' pizza, salad and drinks for $8 adults, and $6.50 for kids. Maybe ordering at the counter would be easier so money does not have to be tracked. I have a date reserved there but I am concerned that we have out grown the location.. any thoughts?

I thought we have not had one in a while, locally, and it would be great to see everyone. Hard to get out these days.

TA

Are there plans to schedule a date/time for this, or has it been superceded by other plans...?? Inquiring minds (and tummies) want to know...! :laughing:

I missed my window for scheduling an event for the 27th. Two week out is a requirement and I was a little slow. I think the consensus was to have it at Peter Piper in Rancho San Diego. I will get a time setup. and post an event. Peter Piper will be able to handle a larger group and ordering will be easier. There is also video games for the little ones, like me! :anibad:

TA

TA

Are there plans to schedule a date/time for this, or has it been superceded by other plans...?? Inquiring minds (and tummies) want to know...! :rolleyes:

I missed my window for scheduling an event for the 27th. Two week out is a requirement and I was a little slow. I think the consensus was to have it at Peter Piper in Rancho San Diego. I will get a time setup. and post an event. Peter Piper will be able to handle a larger group and ordering will be easier. There is also video games for the little ones, like me! :D

TA

:unsure::D Yahoo! An event close to home with at least 5 or 6 caches within walking distance of the parking lot...how cool is that??? I hope Duganrm comes...I miss him! :rolleyes:

If it happens on the 28th I would be interested. Have to work the day of the 28th and don't want to be wandering around all night and then work in the morning.

:rolleyes: I like the 28th also. Friday nights are tough after a long week.

:rolleyes: I like the 28th also. Friday nights are tough after a long week.

I hear ya on that one. What time do you think you all would be going? I'm might be able to go Saturday night. It's a good way to beat the heat and not have to get early.
Why have Pizza when you can enjoy the outdoors. Check this out Guajome Geo Jamboree GC14A02 Looks like fun and not that far north.
I was thinking the same thing. A park or a beach would be a nice change of pace! :D There are a ton of caches in that park that I need too! :D

There is now a pre-event to grab the caches before the main event.

HOW MANY DONUTS CAN FATTBOY EAT :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cool! :D

We might have to switch to fat free high fiber donuts - Anyone know where to get them? Whole Foods?

Nomex posted a note for HOW MANY DONUTS CAN FATTBOY EAT (Event Cache) at 7/18/2007

Log Date: 7/18/2007

Hi SuperDave!,

This geocache was brought to my attention as being in need of owner maintenance visit, because the amount of saturated fats on this Listing exceeds the dietary suggestions as set down by the Surgeon General. The cache owner needs to check on this cache ASAP and either replace or lower the saturated fats in this Listing. See the Surgeon Generals commendations on fat intake at:

http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/reports/surgen_rep.html#1

To paraphrase the relevant section of the Surgeon General's concerns:

Fats and cholesterol: Reduce consumption of fat (especially saturated fat) and cholesterol. Choose foods relatively low in these substances, such as vegetables, fruits, whole grain foods, fish, poultry, lean meats, and low-fat dairy products. Use food preparation methods that add little or no fat.

I've added this cache to my watchlist on 7/18/07, and I will check back in two weeks or so to be sure that adequate fiber has been added.

You may email me at via the link to my profile on the log. [red]Please be sure to include the cache name and GCxxxx number, or better yet, the URL of the cache page.[/red]

Thanks for your cooperation![:unsure:]

Nomex

Northern California Volunteer Cache Reviewer

Why have Pizza when you can enjoy the outdoors. Check this out Guajome Geo Jamboree GC14A02 Looks like fun and not that far north.
I was thinking the same thing. A park or a beach would be a nice change of pace! :D There are a ton of caches in that park that I need too! :D

There is now a pre-event to grab the caches before the main event.

HOW MANY DONUTS CAN FATTBOY EAT :rolleyes::unsure:

Cool! :D

We might have to switch to fat free high fiber donuts - Anyone know where to get them? Whole Foods?

Nomex posted a note for HOW MANY DONUTS CAN FATTBOY EAT (Event Cache) at 7/18/2007

Log Date: 7/18/2007

Hi SuperDave!,

This geocache was brought to my attention as being in need of owner maintenance visit, because the amount of saturated fats on this Listing exceeds the dietary suggestions as set down by the Surgeon General. The cache owner needs to check on this cache ASAP and either replace or lower the saturated fats in this Listing. See the Surgeon Generals commendations on fat intake at:

http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/reports/surgen_rep.html#1

To paraphrase the relevant section of the Surgeon General's concerns:

Fats and cholesterol: Reduce consumption of fat (especially saturated fat) and cholesterol. Choose foods relatively low in these substances, such as vegetables, fruits, whole grain foods, fish, poultry, lean meats, and low-fat dairy products. Use food preparation methods that add little or no fat.

I've added this cache to my watchlist on 7/18/07, and I will check back in two weeks or so to be sure that adequate fiber has been added.

You may email me at via the link to my profile on the log. [red]Please be sure to include the cache name and GCxxxx number, or better yet, the URL of the cache page.[/red]

Thanks for your cooperation![ :D ]

Nomex

Northern California Volunteer Cache Reviewer

:rolleyes:

Not exactly a "Geocaching Event," but has anyone checked out the Humphrey's schedule for this Wednesday night?

Lyle Lovett and his Large Band is playing!! The show is sold out and the tickets were $125.00, but you can watch for free from the water. :unsure:

Anyway, he puts on a great show. :( I'll be down there at the end of Bessemer Street with my kayak at about 6:30, or a bit earlier. Does anyone else have a "boat" and want to join me?

I'm in, just let me know which night so I can make work arangements :laughing: .

Just bumping this to see who thinks they wants to make the hike, and which night they can make it?

What time works well for everyone? It starts to cool off out here after 4:00 p.m. On Saturday night, the sun will go down about 7:50, and on that night, I think the moon will be coming up close to the same time the sun sets. It should be a beautiful moonrise! :lol:

I'm in, just let me know which night so I can make work arangements :laughing: .

Just bumping this to see who thinks they wants to make the hike, and which night they can make it?

What time works well for everyone? It starts to cool off out here after 4:00 p.m. On Saturday night, the sun will go down about 7:50, and on that night, I think the moon will be coming up close to the same time the sun sets. It should be a beautiful moonrise! :lol:

I'm thinking of going. 4PM sounds good. I can eat an early supper. What route are you thinking of taking? How far is it? How long will it take?

I'm thinking of going. 4PM sounds good. I can eat an early supper. What route are you thinking of taking? How far is it? How long will it take?

ditto.. :laughing:

Actually if you guys wanted to we could meet for dinner. I can never get up early enough for breakfast since I live far away but I could make it for dinner..... :rolleyes:

If this goes off on the 28th then I am up for it. Can't make it if happens on the 27th. I hate it when work interferes with the more enjoyable parts of life.

Would anyone be interested in a night hike either the 27th or 28th. The nearly-full moon will be up when the sun goes down, so there will be lots of light after dark. The westernmost caches on this Bookmark List, where there are lots of odd and wonderful rock formations, would be great to do in moonlight. :lol:

If this goes off on the 28th then I am up for it. Can't make it if happens on the 27th. I hate it when work interferes with the more enjoyable parts of life.

Like the daytime and the nighttime? :rolleyes:

Would anyone be interested in a night hike either the 27th or 28th. The nearly-full moon will be up when the sun goes down, so there will be lots of light after dark. The westernmost caches on this Bookmark List, where there are lots of odd and wonderful rock formations, would be great to do in moonlight. ;)

I'm in, just let me know which night so I can make work arangements ;) .

What time works well for everyone? It starts to cool off out here after 4:00 p.m. On Saturday night, the sun will go down about 7:50, and on that night, I think the moon will be coming up close to the same time the sun sets. It should be a beautiful moonrise! :D

Like the daytime and the nighttime? :mad:

why hike it??? can't ya drive it in a 4x4?? ;)

Would anyone be interested in a night hike either the 27th or 28th. The nearly-full moon will be up when the sun goes down, so there will be lots of light after dark. The westernmost caches on this Bookmark List, where there are lots of odd and wonderful rock formations, would be great to do in moonlight. :)

I'm in, just let me know which night so I can make work arangements ;) .

What time works well for everyone? It starts to cool off out here after 4:00 p.m. On Saturday night, the sun will go down about 7:50, and on that night, I think the moon will be coming up close to the same time the sun sets. It should be a beautiful moonrise! :)

Like the daytime and the nighttime? :mad:

why hike it??? can't ya drive it in a 4x4?? ;)

It's called exercise dude. Eat right and exercise! ;) BTW, did someone just say Pancake house? :D What are the coords? When should we be there? :D

ditto.. ;)

Actually if you guys wanted to we could meet for dinner. I can never get up early enough for breakfast since I live far away but I could make it for dinner..... :mad:

We're definitely interested but need some more info - as TrailGators said, how long of a hike are y'all planning? Dinner sounds good, too...we'll keep checking this thread for updates!!! ;)

I believe the hike from "And so the adventure begins . . . " to "Chevy No-Va" is nearly seven miles.

This is the Profile of one of the times I have hiked the trail, but we didn't go up to "Chevy No-Va" that day.

da524725-c766-47cf-a057-374ca3f19666.jpg

Check it out in Google Earth, and use the "tilt" feature to see the rock formations and the views. It is really cool. ;)

The only "problem" I anticipate is the parking situation. Only two vehicles can fit at "And so the adventure begins . . . " There is more room at "Overflow Parking," but those two locations are about .3 apart. ;)

We could meet at "Holey Poley" on Japatul Valley Road and then pile into fewer vehicles for the final approach. :mad:

I believe the hike from "And so the adventure begins . . . " to "Chevy No-Va" is nearly seven miles.

This is the Profile of one of the times I have hiked the trail, but we didn't go up to "Chevy No-Va" that day.

Check it out in Google Earth, and use the "tilt" feature to see the rock formations and the views. It is really cool. :mad:

The only "problem" I anticipate is the parking situation. Only two vehicles can fit at "And so the adventure begins . . . " There is more room at "Overflow Parking," but those two locations are about .3 apart. ;)

We could meet at "Holey Poley" on Japatul Valley Road and then pile into fewer vehicles for the final approach. ;)

Don't worry about the hike being too hard. It's been done by old guys like FisnJack and I. There aren't any killer grades. Making it to Chevy No-Va and back should be a piece of cake for you youngsters. I started at Overflow and found that the hike works out nicely from there as a loop.

Besides, you have Miragee along. That gal could tote a couple of you piggy-back if need be.

By the way, don't go pestering the snakes 'cause they'll be sleeping. Also do post some new photos so's I can pick on 'em.

Harmon

p.s. Y'all gonna die!

Edited by SD Rowdies

Check it out in Google Earth, and use the "tilt" feature to see the rock formations and the views. It is really cool. :D

The only "problem" I anticipate is the parking situation. Only two vehicles can fit at "And so the adventure begins . . . " There is more room at "Overflow Parking," but those two locations are about .3 apart. :mad:

We could meet at "Holey Poley" on Japatul Valley Road and then pile into fewer vehicles for the final approach. ;)

Don't worry about the hike being too hard. It's been done by old guys like FisnJack and I. There aren't any killer grades. Making it to Chevy No-Va and back should be a piece of cake for you youngsters. I started at Overflow and found that the hike works out nicely from there as a loop.

Besides, you have Miragee along. That gal could tote a couple of you piggy-back if need be.

By the way, don't go pestering the snakes but do post some new photos so's I can pick on 'em.

Harmon

p.s. Y'all gonna die!

I knew you were gonna say that! ;)

Sounds like Overflow is the place to park. 0.3 miles is no bother. I would really like to get Chevy No Va too! ;)

Edited by TrailGators

Check it out in Google Earth, and use the "tilt" feature to see the rock formations and the views. It is really cool. :D

The only "problem" I anticipate is the parking situation. Only two vehicles can fit at "And so the adventure begins . . . " There is more room at "Overflow Parking," but those two locations are about .3 apart. :mad:

By the way, don't go pestering the snakes but do post some new photos so's I can pick on 'em.

Harmon

p.s. Y'all gonna die!

I knew you were gonna say that! ;)

Sounds like Overflow is the place to park. 0.3 miles is no bother. I would really like to get Chevy No Va too! ;)

Yes, and that last 0.3 mile is on pavement. There's a parking spot that will handle three of four vehicles just before you get to the Overflow trailhead, back down the hill a teeny bit.

Of course since y'all gonna die then you don't have to worry about the last part of the hike. ... if I find your remains can I have your PDAs and GPS receivers?

Did I mention the Carveacre Wind Cave Necromancers? Them're South-Chicago sauerkraut-eatin' Necromancers inside them ol' wind caves. No matter what, don't let Laurie smell their breath 'cause it's deadly for short people.

c1bfaaef-35d9-4309-8e9c-50ef5f2d6a22.jpg

NOTE: Looks different in th' dark.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Gee, Harmon, you're really selling this event!!! :) Let's tick off the points...(oh no - I left out ticks!):

1. Hiking in the dark (moonlight's great but face it - it's gonna be dark!!)

2. 7 miles roundtrip (uphill all ways, based on previous experience - I vividly remember Chuy!'s Wild Turkey cache, which only FELT like 7 miles!)

3. Last but not least you tell me there are Necromancers (lying in wait for the vertically challenged!) and sleeping snakes to contend with, too?! :o

Sheesh...seems the least a nice cowboy like you could do is offer to come along and protect me!! :)

Gee, Harmon, you're really selling this event!!! :) Let's tick off the points...(oh no - I left out ticks!):

2. 7 miles roundtrip (uphill all ways, based on previous experience - I vividly remember Chuy!'s Wild Turkey cache, which only FELT like 7 miles!)

3. Last but not least you tell me there are Necromancers (lying in wait for the vertically challenged!) and sleeping snakes to contend with, too?! :o

Sheesh...seems the least a nice cowboy like you could do is offer to come along and protect me!! :)

:) I'm still confused. Did I just miss the final decison about: the day, the time, the location, the meeting spot or teh dinner spot? :)

:) I'm still confused. Did I just miss the final decison about: the day, the time, the location, the meeting spot or teh dinner spot? :)

The only thing we know so far is that the hike will start at Overflow Parking cache at ~4PM on Saturday. I suggested meeting somewhere before for supper but nobody reponded so I assumed that nobody wanted to do that. I could also meet earlier to get some puzzles I need.....

Laurie,

Now that's a great offer what with you being a good hugger. So who's haulin' in th' horses?

Yeehaw,

Harmon

Gee, Harmon, you're really selling this event!!! :D Let's tick off the points...(oh no - I left out ticks!):

3. Last but not least you tell me there are Necromancers (lying in wait for the vertically challenged!) and sleeping snakes to contend with, too?! :)

Sheesh...seems the least a nice cowboy like you could do is offer to come along and protect me!! :o

You forgot to mention the tarantula . . . :)

:) :)

Gee, Harmon, you're really selling this event!!! :o Let's tick off the points...(oh no - I left out ticks!):

3. Last but not least you tell me there are Necromancers (lying in wait for the vertically challenged!) and sleeping snakes to contend with, too?! :)

You pretty much nailed it. I am probably the slowest hiker in San Diego and I am always 'tricked' into thinking it will be a simple hike. Beware of the, "..but it is only .5 away.." This is actually an evil ploy, since I can't fly and it aways ends up being switchback from hell, up hill, both ways. :)

I am hoping to make the hike Saturday, but my back has been causing my trouble. I might off-rad up there.. :)

I have Friday off, so I plan on not doing my house chores (they never get done) because I have a responsibility to cache with the jeep.. This weekend is dedicated to doing that, just need to pick where.

M2, Superdave, others,

Interested in going off road on the Palomar Divide or somewhere else?

TA

Gee, Harmon, you're really selling this event!!! :o Let's tick off the points...(oh no - I left out ticks!):

You pretty much nailed it. I am probably the slowest hiker in San Diego and I am always 'tricked' into thinking it will be a simple hike. Beware of the, "..but it is only .5 away.." This is actually an evil ploy, since I can't fly and it aways ends up being switchback from hell, up hill, both ways. :)

I am hoping to make the hike Saturday, but my back has been causing my trouble. I might off-rad up there.. :D

I have Friday off, so I plan on not doing my house chores (they never get done) because I have a responsibility to cache with the jeep.. This weekend is dedicated to doing that, just need to pick where.

M2, Superdave, others,

Interested in going off road on the Palomar Divide or somewhere else?

TA

The Palomar Divide is very cool! :)

Gee, Harmon, you're really selling this event!!! :D Let's tick off the points...(oh no - I left out ticks!):

Sheesh...seems the least a nice cowboy like you could do is offer to come along and protect me!! :o

:) :)

Shoot, I did forget the tarantula. Dare I mention the flocks of fanged headless-chickens?

Just so you know here's a night shot of Carveacher Wind Caves.

183ab465-ed34-4d3d-83b2-f64221c740c0.jpg

Be patient, you eyes have to adjust.

Edited by SD Rowdies

:):o

Shoot, I did forget the tarantula. Dare I mention the flocks of fanged headless-chickens?

Just so you know here's a night shot of Carveacher Wind Caves.

183ab465-ed34-4d3d-83b2-f64221c740c0.jpg

Be patient, you eyes have to adjust.

According to Bear Grylls on the episode of Man vs. Wild when he was in Africa, it takes about 30-45 minutes for the human eye to fully adapt to see in darkness. :D