San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

My-oh-my. It looks like the west side of McGinty is the happening spot these days.

Do I need to go out there a third week in a row? :lol:

What's a good starting spot if one is think of going out to this area?

It depends on which caches you need. We hiked up McGinty from the south side (see previous posting for coords) and then hiked out the west side. There is less elevation gain going that direction.

As TG said it depends on the caches you need, but if you're planning on staying on the west side, you can start at Chuy!'s cache GC10BWX. That's both a good starting point and a place to park.

Parking on the east side is at the end of Wild West (you gotta walk up a private driveway about 75 feet - all the locals do it, and I waved to homeowner once and he waved back.) Or, park at end of Hidden Ridge Rd. Wild West cuts about .5 miles and about 150 feet of elevation gain. Hike to the top is very steep but about a mile shorter than the west side.

If you're going to do all the caches like CTYankee just did, start on the west side. Otherwise, break it in half and do the peak (all the way to at least TRviolin's M'm! M'm! Good Sycuan View cache) from the east side.

Added photos of the first SD event and the 3rd event couldn't get pics up for the 2nd event which was in OB at a pizza parlor.

The first event was GC1576 with 20 plus cachers

The 2nd event wasn't that large maybe 15 cachers

The 3nd event was GC4A53 with over 50 cachers and familys

Some well-known names in those groups! Thanks!

This Satuday at 8PM, we are meeting to do 'Kiss of Midnight'. Woo Hoo! If you would like to join us, please let me know soon so I add your name to the competitor documentation.

Going so far:

Team Reid and maybe Mr. Team Reid and maybe some of Team Reid's friends

Me and maybe Mrs. TG

Cat and Bobby

I would like to get in on this too please!

thekitedude

This Satuday at 8PM, we are meeting to do 'Kiss of Midnight'. Woo Hoo! If you would like to join us, please let me know soon so I add your name to the competitor documentation.

Going so far:

Team Reid and maybe Mr. Team Reid and maybe some of Team Reid's friends

Me and maybe Mrs. TG

Cat and Bobby

I would like to get in on this too please!

thekitedude

That's fine! Meet us at the starting coords for KOM at 8PM.

We now have 8 people (if Mrs. TG) goes:

Team Reid

TrailGators

Cat and Bobby

M2

thekitedude

Edited by TrailGators

In regards to the upcoming event in Yuma on the 11th of Feb., I know there was a certain contingent from SD headed out. (Flagman, PW, Trailgators, the Splashes and $kimmer). I just was curious if those who were coming out were planning on just making it a day trip or were going to come in the day before and bashing about Yuma and Mittry Lake? I was planning on coming out Saturday before, bashing about Yuma on Sat and staying over for the event on Sunday. Perhaps the SD crew might want to meet up before event? Anyone else besides the aformentioned folk coming out? Just a thought.

--TT--

In regards to the upcoming event in Yuma on the 11th of Feb., I know there was a certain contingent from SD headed out. (Flagman, PW, Trailgators, the Splashes and $kimmer). I just was curious if those who were coming out were planning on just making it a day trip or were going to come in the day before and bashing about Yuma and Mittry Lake? I was planning on coming out Saturday before, bashing about Yuma on Sat and staying over for the event on Sunday. Perhaps the SD crew might want to meet up before event? Anyone else besides the aformentioned folk coming out? Just a thought.

--TT--

RocketMan is flying in on Friday afternoon and leaving on Sunday afternoon. I am probably going to follow the same schedule. Everyday I spend at work makes me want to take that Friday off more and more! :ph34r: Anyhow, we'd be happy to meet up with you. I'm not sure exactly what we were doing yet. I don't know Yuma at all.....

--TT--

Me and Team Fatman Plan on leaving S.D. about 0500 and do some Caching along the way and then hit the Yuma Caches and make it there by BBQ time. :blink:

--TT--

Me and Team Fatman Plan on leaving S.D. about 0500 and do some Caching along the way and then hit the Yuma Caches and make it there by BBQ time. :blink:

:laughing::laughing: How long does it take to drive to Yuma? Is it possible to make it a day-adventure?

--TT--

Yuma should be an easy 3 hour drive for you about an hour East of El Centro.

:laughing::laughing: How long does it take to drive to Yuma? Is it possible to make it a day-adventure?

--TT--

Me and Team Fatman Plan on leaving S.D. about 0500 and do some Caching along the way and then hit the Yuma Caches and make it there by BBQ time. :laughing:

:blink::laughing: How long does it take to drive to Yuma? Is it possible to make it a day-adventure?

I think it is just under a 3 hour drive. Would take alot longer if you cache on the way. I am also going to try and make it. Will probably stay over night though and return after the event. Carpooling would be a great idea. I am happy to drive the way over and back. My wife has cleared me to go :laughing:

I hear some people are thinking of going Friday.. It would be great to caravan..

In regards to the upcoming event in Yuma on the 11th of Feb., I know there was a certain contingent from SD headed out. (Flagman, PW, Trailgators, the Splashes and $kimmer). I just was curious if those who were coming out were planning on just making it a day trip or were going to come in the day before and bashing about Yuma and Mittry Lake? I was planning on coming out Saturday before, bashing about Yuma on Sat and staying over for the event on Sunday. Perhaps the SD crew might want to meet up before event? Anyone else besides the aformentioned folk coming out? Just a thought. --TT--

Me and Team Fatman Plan on leaving S.D. about 0500 and do some Caching along the way and then hit the Yuma Caches and make it there by BBQ time. :laughing:
:blink::laughing: How long does it take to drive to Yuma? Is it possible to make it a day-adventure?
I think it is just under a 3 hour drive. Would take alot longer if you cache on the way. I am also going to try and make it. Will probably stay over night though and return after the event. Carpooling would be a great idea. I am happy to drive the way over and back. My wife has cleared me to go :laughing: I hear some people are thinking of going Friday.. It would be great to caravan..
The event starts Sunday at 10AM. If you went Friday you would have to stay two nights. Anyhow, my feeling is that it's better to split up into smaller groups. It gets to be a little much when you stop for a cache and there are a ton of people.... Edited by TrailGators

Well...I'm planning on leaving Tucson sometime Sat. morning and hitting all the stuff on the 8 out past Casa Grande and Gila Bend and being in Yuma in the afternoon. I'll stay over Sat. night, if anyone wants to get together that night. Don't know yet what Cow Spots or the other Tucson GCers are doing yet. But that's my plan and I'm sticking to it....for now.

--TT--

HI Would any cachers like to go on a cache run around San diego this comign SAT. I am from Sweetwater TN and would like to find a few caches while i am there maybe the web cam I will be staying at the Radisson on front street and sat Dozer is thinking about going fishing

So if anyone like to go on a cache run please let me know

THANKS

dozer&thedirtclods(geocaching nick)

Momma DirtClod/MDC

RITA

Well...I'm planning on leaving Tucson sometime Sat. morning and hitting all the stuff on the 8 out past Casa Grande and Gila Bend and being in Yuma in the afternoon. I'll stay over Sat. night, if anyone wants to get together that night. Don't know yet what Cow Spots or the other Tucson GCers are doing yet. But that's my plan and I'm sticking to it....for now.

--TT--

It's official. I am driving out there also. Nice opportunity to grab some AZ caches.. I will be driving up Saturday early am and caching here and there on the way out there. I will stay overnight for the yuma event on Sunday, then drive home after that. I will have room for two, maybe three people, if there are others want a lift out there. :huh: I have no idea where I am staying overnight, was thinking of just checking into a hotel.

TA

From what I can tell from the logs, it looks like everyone has already done Kiss of Midnight. But if there are any stragglers who somehow managed to miss the rush, you are welcome to join us tomorrow (Thurs) night...

Maybe, just maybe. Details?

I highly recommend doing this with a smaller group. It's not that tough but is fun to do. If the group is too large some members of the group could feel left out at certain stages of it. I think 2-6 people is about right. :D If you get too many people just split up into two groups and stagger the start times by 30 minutes. Edited by TrailGators

From what I can tell from the logs, it looks like everyone has already done Kiss of Midnight. But if there are any stragglers who somehow managed to miss the rush, you are welcome to join us tomorrow (Thurs) night...

Our plan is to be in the neighborhood of the Stargazer sculpture (a.k.a. the listed coordinates) at approximately 8pm. After that, we are at the mercy of The DAK Girls...

bldg1RGB.jpg

We (Ms. LLOT and myself) might have dinner at Karl Strauss to fortify ourselves for the adventure. A good meeting point, then, might be in the Karl Strauss parking lot (on the other side of the SD Tech Center building.)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Our plan is to be in the neighborhood of the Stargazer sculpture (a.k.a. the listed coordinates) at approximately 8pm. After that, we are at the mercy of The DAK Girls...

bldg1RGB.jpg

We (Ms. LLOT and myself) might have dinner at Karl Strauss to fortify ourselves for the adventure. A good meeting point, then, might be in the Karl Strauss parking lot (on the other side of the SD Tech Center building.)

Karl's is a very good choice! :D Edited by TrailGators

--TT--

TeamGrnZoom will be there. Thurs & Friday we will be in Phoenix checking in with our son.

We should be in Yuma before noon Sat.

If you need a nice hotel for about about $75.00 a night check here: http://www.yumacabana.com/

Someone have a suggestion where the SD crew could hook up before the event.. as TT suggested??

Nick

--TT--

TeamGrnZoom will be there. Thurs & Friday we will be in Phoenix checking in with our son.

If you need a nice hotel for about about $75.00 a night check here: http://www.yumacabana.com/

Someone have a suggestion where the SD crew could hook up before the event.. as TT suggested??

Nick

Thanks for the hotel info.. A meeting place would be a good idea for group caching. Of course it may be a big group. :D Anywho, I am looking forward to it, even the drive..

TA

Edited by Team Adelos

--TT--

Nick

Thanks for the hotel info.. A meeting place would be a good idea for group caching. Of course it may be a big group. :D Anywho, I am looking forward to it, even the drive..

TA

I don't know Yuma at all so I wouldn't have a clue where to meet before the event. I am a big breakfast fan so a good local cafe for breakfast might be fun. I also started a thread to find out the Must Do Caches in Yuma and already have a bunch of responses! :D
Sycuan Peak: Saturday 1/27. We will meet at trailhead parking at N32° 44.791 W116° 48.007 at 9AM

b4e86f91-3140-4f57-9a13-a5c957317162.jpg

The hike will take 2-3 hours.

After the hike I would like to go visit Miragee's Carveacre Wind Caves!

Great! I've been hankerin' for a hike.

I am in. Later when you go for the Wind Caves, do you come in from the north, or are you going to pass the Lawson/gaskill caches, etc.. from the south

TA

I really want to do this one, I've heard so many fun things. But, alas, I shall be doing my taxes! :P

Edited by Caching Widow

I really want to do this one, I've heard so many fun things. But, alas, I shall be doing my taxes! :P

PW has got to talk to this girl about her priorities.

bldg1RGB.jpg

Karl's is a very good choice! :P

<_< Do they serve Miller Light or MGD? :unsure:

bldg1RGB.jpg

Karl's is a very good choice! :P

<_< Do they serve Miller Light or MGD? :unsure:

Wow! I love the new avatar.

bldg1RGB.jpg

Karl's is a very good choice! <_<

:unsure: Do they serve Miller Light or MGD? :ph34r:

They serve that stuff in another room with special porcelain dispensers... :P

PW has got to talk to this girl about her priorities.

It's January 25th and taxes are due on April 15th.......

Hmmmm, what should she do? <_<

My wife got selected to do an article on Geocaching for a national publication. She is hoping to go with a group of geocachers this Saturday. We are hoping to get a group together for the West side of McGinty. We will me at Chuy's "Lost patrol where forth are thou" cache and go from there. She only wants to stay out a couple of hours. Of course you can go for as long as you would like. She will respect your privacy and if you do not wish to be quoted you wont be. She will also take a few photos but will not use any you do not aurthorize.

We will be there at 0900 on 01/27/07

Hope a few of you can make it....Chuck Davis "3cd's"

My wife got selected to do an article on Geocaching for a national publication. She is hoping to go with a group of geocachers this Saturday. We are hoping to get a group together for the West side of McGinty. We will me at Chuy's "Lost patrol where forth are thou" cache and go from there. She only wants to stay out a couple of hours. Of course you can go for as long as you would like. She will respect your privacy and if you do not wish to be quoted you wont be. She will also take a few photos but will not use any you do not aurthorize.

We will be there at 0900 on 01/27/07

Hope a few of you can make it....Chuck Davis "3cd's"

If I hadn't just done McGinty two weeks ago I would join you. Normally I like to wait a couple of months before repeating the same hike. Plus I'm also waiting for the new cache wars to end around McGinty.... :P
Plus I'm also waiting for the new cache wars to end around McGinty.... :P

I suspect that this is all my fault...for the past year, I had been putting off doing McGinty. As I told Miragee, I wasn't going to do it until the entire grid was filled up. So, after a year of stability on the mountain, I figured that I might as well go ahead and do McGinty. So...

...in the three days before I went, a handful of new caches appeared on McGinty. A handful of new caches appeared the day I went. And I've lost count of the all the caches that have appeared since then.

So, if you want to maximize your caching time and not go back repeatedly, the word the wise is to wait until LLOT does an area and then wait 6-8 weeks for the dust to settle. <_<

I suspect that this is all my fault...for the past year, I had been putting off doing McGinty. As I told Miragee, I wasn't going to do it until the entire grid was filled up. So, after a year of stability on the mountain, I figured that I might as well go ahead and do McGinty. So...

...in the three days before I went, a handful of new caches appeared on McGinty. A handful of new caches appeared the day I went. And I've lost count of the all the caches that have appeared since then.

So, if you want to maximize your caching time and not go back repeatedly, the word the wise is to wait until LLOT does an area and then wait 6-8 weeks for the dust to settle. :ph34r:

:unsure:<_<
Plus I'm also waiting for the new cache wars to end around McGinty.... :drama:

So, if you want to maximize your caching time and not go back repeatedly, the word the wise is to wait until LLOT does an area and then wait 6-8 weeks for the dust to settle. :blink:

You afraid of a little hike :P .

I went up that dang peak five times in a two-week period. Guess what? I'm not done!

So, if you want to maximize your caching time and not go back repeatedly, the word the wise is to wait until LLOT does an area and then wait 6-8 weeks for the dust to settle. ;)

You afraid of a little hike :drama: .

I went up that dang peak five times in a two-week period. Guess what? I'm not done!

I don't believe there's any accounting for insanity! :blink:

D!

So, if you want to maximize your caching time and not go back repeatedly, the word the wise is to wait until LLOT does an area and then wait 6-8 weeks for the dust to settle. :drama:

You afraid of a little hike :P .

I don't believe there's any accounting for insanity! :blink:

D!

Seems like some binos and a tent at the peak would have saved Chuy! some time..... ;):P Edited by TrailGators
Sycuan Peak: Saturday 1/27. We will meet at trailhead parking at N32° 44.791 W116° 48.007 at 9AM

I am in. Later when you go for the Wind Caves, do you come in from the north, or are you going to pass the Lawson/gaskill caches, etc.. from the south

TA

I'm not sure about doing the Wind Caves. If Miragee opts to do McGinty again then I'll hold off because it would be more fun to do that with her. I do have a ton of solved puzzles in the area that I need. Would you guys be up for that after Sycuan?

TA

I'm not sure about doing the Wind Caves. If Miragee opts to do McGinty again then I'll hold off because it would be more fun to do that with her. I do have a ton of solved puzzles in the area that I need. Would you guys be up for that after Sycuan?

:D Are you guys gonna get lost again? I don't think there are any golf courses with golf carts for hire out that way!

Edited by jahoadi and john

TA

:D Are you guys gonna get lost again? I don't think there are any golf courses with golf carts for hire out that way!
We educated the person that needed the golf cart to get some good grippy hiking shoes/boots and a stick. All it takes is one slip to twist something and really mess up your hike. It sounds like he is OK now. :D As far as getting lost we weren't lost. We just didn't know where we were going to end up... :o Are you going to join us tomorrow for Sycuan? Edited by TrailGators

for those interested in a smaller....local hike..i'm heading up Kwaay Peak tomorrow around 9amish. probably will meet at the campground parking lot and hike up from there. coming down in a loop past above mission dam towards the dam parking lot. might attempt the climber's loop after depending on leg strength. drop a line if interested.

PS: will be hunting 3 puzzle caches also.

Edited by The Dillon Gang

:laughing: Are you guys gonna get lost again? I don't think there are any golf courses with golf carts for hire out that way!

Lost? How can you get lost if you leave cache crumbs along the way? :D I am thinking of a license plate for my truck. Maybe I should see if NOTLOST is available.. :angry::angry:

See you in the morning Trailgators..

Lost? How can you get lost if you leave cache crumbs along the way? :angry: I am thinking of a license plate for my truck. Maybe I should see if NOTLOST is available.. :angry::laughing:

See you in the morning Trailgators..

:angry::angry: Cache crumbs? Hmmm...maybe I should change my plans. Shucks I can't: I have to do cache maintenance today...got an interestimg email from Marko last night....Oh Well. Have fun!