San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Here is another version of the route Trailgators, Toby's Gang, and I took, along with the profile . . . :D

372d6408-3f9b-4ce9-8300-3d7fedf7d6c8.jpg

It sure was fun. I'm glad Duncan! knew how to get help when it was needed. Thanks Duncan! and Happy Birthday!! :D:D:D

P.S. Here is a picture taken earlier in the day, with our approximate route across the golf course superimposed on it . . .

53662fbe-daa1-44f6-b58b-09ad1afbc717.jpg

Edited by Miragee
I'm still trying to figure out how far off trail you got to find Dragon Head Cache. :D

Like the man said...we missed the trail and went a little out of our way... :D:):D:)

Jerry ran off and did that one by himself! :D:D:)

I got a notification of Toby Gang's log entry 'cause the cache is on my watchlist. Funny thing is, I never put it on my watchlist! So, I deleted the cache off my watchlist; today, I get a another watchlist notification, but of a cache in Slovenia?? I never put this cache on my watchlist!

What is going on??

I'm still trying to figure out how far off trail you got to find Dragon Head Cache. :D

Like the man said...we missed the trail and went a little out of our way... :D:D:D:D

Jerry ran off and did that one by himself! :):):)

I got a notification of Toby Gang's log entry 'cause the cache is on my watchlist. Funny thing is, I never put it on my watchlist! So, I deleted the cache off my watchlist; today, I get a another watchlist notification, but of a cache in Slovenia?? I never put this cache on my watchlist!

What is going on??

See??!! I knew I didn't log that cache on purpose! Like Chuy! said, something fishy is going on. :)

And here's the route plotted out on the map.

daa899ac-e413-49be-9b87-e7e863932b57.jpg

;) Now I know never to follow Paul!!! I'm sure glad I didn't decide to meet you guys from the opposite direction!! Geesh!! But what great views huh?

In my defense, :huh: , I have trail markers choosing the correct path, but WE decided to take a different route. I think it added a mile to our path. I will do it again and find the correct one some time. :anicute:

We had a great time, but it was long for sure. This was the longest hike that Team Adelos has done. I also show about 9+ miles. wow.

Paul

:) Now I know never to follow Paul!!! I'm sure glad I didn't decide to meet you guys from the opposite direction!! Geesh!! But what great views huh?

In my defense, ;) , I have trail markers choosing the correct path, but WE decided to take a different route. I think it added a mile to our path. I will do it again and find the correct one some time. :huh:

We had a great time, but it was long for sure. This was the longest hike that Team Adelos has done. I also show about 9+ miles. wow.

Paul

When did "WE" decide that? I thought you were the one that told us that you found a better way than going by the house and we were following your special path....Anyhow, it wasn't bad at all and now others will get to also enjoy that route! :anicute:
It was a great hike no matter how off track we got.....how many people can say they were rescued buy a golf cart?
It was a great hike! :anicute: Jerry, Miragee and I came up with a few ideas for future hikes this year including:

Secuan/Wind Caves

Gaskill/Lawson

Indiana Ed's

Eagle Peak

Mt. Miguel

Fortunas

Edited by TrailGators
It was a great hike no matter how off track we got.....how many people can say they were rescued buy a golf cart?
It was a great hike! :anicute: Jerry, Miragee and I came up with a few ideas for future hikes this year including:

Secuan/Wind Caves

Gaskill/Lawson

Indiana Ed's

Eagle Peak

Mt. Miguel

Fortunas

:huh: I really really really want to go to Duncan!'s caches at the Domelands. It is my all time favorite Desert hike ( about 8 miles RT) Could you add that to your list? I promise you won't be disappointed. jodi

It was a great hike! :huh: Jerry, Miragee and I came up with a few ideas for future hikes this year including:

Secuan/Wind Caves

Gaskill/Lawson

Indiana Ed's

Eagle Peak

Mt. Miguel

Fortunas

;) I really really really want to go to Duncan!'s caches at the Domelands. It is my all time favorite Desert hike ( about 8 miles RT) Could you add that to your list? I promise you won't be disappointed. jodi

I'll add anything that isn't in a parking lot at Wal-Mart.....well almost anything! :anicute:

Anyhow that sounds like a cool one so let's add it! :)

Secuan/Wind Caves

Gaskill/Lawson

Indiana Ed's

Eagle Peak

Mt. Miguel

Fortunas

Domelands

Edited by TrailGators
It was a great hike! :huh: Jerry, Miragee and I came up with a few ideas for future hikes this year including:

Secuan/Wind Caves

Gaskill/Lawson

Indiana Ed's

Eagle Peak

Mt. Miguel

Fortunas

;) I really really really want to go to Duncan!'s caches at the Domelands. It is my all time favorite Desert hike ( about 8 miles RT) Could you add that to your list? I promise you won't be disappointed. jodi

Actually, I seem to remember Domelands being about 5 miles RT. Of course, it could always get up to eight if Paul leads the way! :anicute:

He could also hide a few more along the trail!

cd225be0-3a57-4c79-a8cc-7c15b523b9ab.jpg

Picture copyright Team Gecko.

It was a great hike! :) Jerry, Miragee and I came up with a few ideas for future hikes this year including:

Secuan/Wind Caves

Gaskill/Lawson

Indiana Ed's

Eagle Peak

Mt. Miguel

Fortunas

:huh: I really really really want to go to Duncan!'s caches at the Domelands. It is my all time favorite Desert hike ( about 8 miles RT) Could you add that to your list? I promise you won't be disappointed. jodi

Actually, I seem to remember Domelands being about 5 miles RT. Of course, it could always get up to eight if Paul leads the way! :anicute:

cd225be0-3a57-4c79-a8cc-7c15b523b9ab.jpg

If we go to the desert, Paul is NOT leading the way! ;)

Where in the desert is Domelands?

It was a great hike! :) Jerry, Miragee and I came up with a few ideas for future hikes this year including:

Secuan/Wind Caves

Gaskill/Lawson

Indiana Ed's

Eagle Peak

Mt. Miguel

Fortunas

Just north of Ocotillo. GCHEGV

No finders in nearly a year!

D!

Edited by Duncan!
It was a great hike! :wub: Jerry, Miragee and I came up with a few ideas for future hikes this year including:

Secuan/Wind Caves

Gaskill/Lawson

Indiana Ed's

Eagle Peak

Mt. Miguel

Fortunas

Thanks! That looks like a very cool spot! So we'll have to get a group and get out there to check it out! :) Edited by TrailGators
It was a great hike! :( Jerry, Miragee and I came up with a few ideas for future hikes this year including:

Secuan/Wind Caves

Gaskill/Lawson

Indiana Ed's

Eagle Peak

Mt. Miguel

Fortunas

Actually, I seem to remember Domelands being about 5 miles RT. Of course, it could always get up to eight if Paul leads the way! :o

If we go to the desert, Paul is NOT leading the way! :(

Thanks! That looks like a very cool spot! So we'll have to get a group and get out there to check it out! :)

Don't forget to add me to your "mailing" list when you guys plan this. I will follow this time. ;):)

It was a great hike! :o Jerry, Miragee and I came up with a few ideas for future hikes this year including:

Secuan/Wind Caves

Gaskill/Lawson

Indiana Ed's

Eagle Peak

Mt. Miguel

Fortunas

:( I really really really want to go to Duncan!'s caches at the Domelands. It is my all time favorite Desert hike ( about 8 miles RT) Could you add that to your list? I promise you won't be disappointed. jodi

Actually, I seem to remember Domelands being about 5 miles RT. Of course, it could always get up to eight if Paul leads the way! :)

If we go to the desert, Paul is NOT leading the way! :(

Thanks! That looks like a very cool spot! So we'll have to get a group and get out there to check it out! ;)

:) You can make it 8 miles by going through the slot canyon and down over the oyster beds to the wash and back out that way. The slot canyon is a MUST!! If I can find it again..pretty sure I can.

Thanks! That looks like a very cool spot! So we'll have to get a group and get out there to check it out! ;)
:( You can make it 8 miles by going through the slot canyon and down over the oyster beds to the wash and back out that way. The slot canyon is a MUST!! If I can find it again..pretty sure I can.

I would want to do the slot canyon! Let's plot out a route with plenty of waypoints!

:( Now I know never to follow Paul!!! I'm sure glad I didn't decide to meet you guys from the opposite direction!! Geesh!! But what great views huh?

In my defense, ;) , I have trail markers choosing the correct path, but WE decided to take a different route. I think it added a mile to our path. I will do it again and find the correct one some time. :)

For what's worth, you can see the intended route marked on the map. The route we took does not really add that much in distance. And the really nice thing about the route that we took is that (as you now know if you've been following the new cache announcements) we will not be the only ones to suffer for the error of our ways...bwah-hah-hah-haaa! :)

:( Now I know never to follow Paul!!! I'm sure glad I didn't decide to meet you guys from the opposite direction!! Geesh!! But what great views huh?

In my defense, ;) , I have trail markers choosing the correct path, but WE decided to take a different route. I think it added a mile to our path. I will do it again and find the correct one some time. :)

For what's worth, you can see the intended route marked on the map. The route we took does not really add that much in distance. And the really nice thing about the route that we took is that (as you now know if you've been following the new cache announcements) we will not be the only ones to suffer for the error of our ways...bwah-hah-hah-haaa! :)

It does look like we basically went about a mile past where we were supposed to turn. I think the anxiety of not knowing where we were going to come out bothered us at the time. Luckily that trail hooked around to the south. We also need to keep in mind that what we did was WAY WAY easier then hiking back over McGinty! It would be a much bigger challenge hiking up McGinty from the back side! I was telling Jody that the trail we took would be a great MB ride! MBers could ride up past the abandoned house and then loop around on the trail we took! When we look back on this we may have inadvertantly created another puzzle valley! There are a zillion places in hide caches in that area! :o Edited by TrailGators

Anybody game for doing as many of the "Must-Do Valley caches" and attending the Mega Event in Temecula on Feb 18th? I think we talked about doing something like that during our hike on Saturday! :(

If another group wants to form to do the "Park and Grab Series," that is fine but I don't feel like doing those this year.

We may.....I'm in the middle of our kitchen remodel. Sould be hanging cabinets tomarrow. I told the wife, When this is over I'm going on some kinda bender.

When's the next desert trip? ;)

Edited by DaMoores

Anybody game for doing as many of the "Must-Do Valley caches" and attending the Mega Event in Temecula on Feb 18th? I think we talked about doing something like that during our hike on Saturday! :huh:

If another group wants to form to do the "Park and Grab Series," that is fine but I don't feel like doing those this year.

We may.....I'm in the middle of our kitchen remodel. Sould be hanging cabinets tomarrow. I told the wife, When this is over I'm going on some kinda bender.

When's the next desert trip? <_<

I'd be up for that as well (just need to find the time).

Jeff

Anybody game for doing as many of the "Must-Do Valley caches" and attending the Mega Event in Temecula on Feb 18th? I think we talked about doing something like that during our hike on Saturday! <_<

Deffinently interested in going.. :huh: I need to get more info. Pat, are you caching Saturday and hittin the event Sunday?

Paul

Anybody game for doing as many of the "Must-Do Valley caches" and attending the Mega Event in Temecula on Feb 18th? I think we talked about doing something like that during our hike on Saturday! :huh:

Deffinently interested in going.. :D I need to get more info. Pat, are you caching Saturday and hittin the event Sunday?

Paul

Saturday is a coin event. I was going to go up for the MEGA EVENT on Sunday Feb 18th.

Edit: By the way, where did all you and DaMoores learn how to spell? Geez Louise! :D<_<

Edited by TrailGators
Edit: By the whey, wear did all you and DaMoores learn how too spell? Geez Louise! :D:D
That's what your brain does after spending too much time on puzzle caches <_<:huh::D
I spen moor time on puzle cashs dan doos doods! :D wel maybee not moor dan Pawl.... B)

Hey, where have you been hiding TFTC?

Edited by TrailGators
Edit: By the whey, wear did all you and DaMoores learn how too spell? Geez Louise! :D:D
That's what your brain does after spending too much time on puzzle caches <_<:huh::D
I spen moor time on puzle cashs dan doos doods! :D wel maybee not moor dan Pawl....

We moved in August so I've been caught up in a semi-permanent (so it seems) honey-do typhoon! I'm hoping that the weather improves in the next 6 months! B) But fortunately, there will always be more caches placed than archived.. :D I'm still watching this forum though for any SDCET outings that I might slip out to if the planets and clouds align properly! B)

I spen moor time on puzle cashs dan doos doods! :D wel maybee not moor dan Pawl....

We moved in August so I've been caught up in a semi-permanent (so it seems) honey-do typhoon! I'm hoping that the weather improves in the next 6 months! B) But fortunately, there will always be more caches placed than archived.. :D I'm still watching this forum though for any SDCET outings that I might slip out to if the planets and clouds align properly! B)

Good to hear from you! There should be a lot of fun stuff to do in the next few months! B) I still need to get over to do Tres Ants over by you someday! :D Edited by TrailGators
Good to hear from you! There should be a lot of fun stuff to do in the next few months! :D I still need to get over to do Tres Ants over by you someday! :huh:
There are a bunch of Bikedog and K-NIC caches nearby that I need to find.. (you know you're in trouble when you have 80 unfound caches within 5 miles of your home almost 6 months after you move in! <_< )

I've finally gotten around to downloading my camera from Saturday's adventure on McGinty. I've attached some photos to my log entries and posted a small selection on the "This Just In" thread (it needed to be bounced up to the top anyway -- apparently Rocketman is too snowed in to get any photos to post... <_< ) I hope to upload the whole set to SDGeocachers.com as soon as I can (technical difficulties with registration.)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Hmmm...this sounds familiar... <_<

180px-Lost_patrol.jpeg

Set during WW I, the film follows a British Army cavalry regiment on patrol as they cross the Mesopotomian desert. The Sergeant (Victor McLaglen) is in charge, the commanding officer, the only one who knows their destination, having been killed by an Arab sniper. The sergeant keeps them heading north hoping to rejoin their brigade. They stop for the night at an oasis and awake the next morning to find their horses stolen, their sentry dead, the oasis surrounded and survival difficult. One by one, the men are picked off as they desperately fend off the enemy, waiting for reinforcements to arrive. The last survivors are rescued by golf cart.

Hmmm...this sounds familiar... :laughing:

180px-Lost_patrol.jpeg

Set during WW I, the film follows a British Army cavalry regiment on patrol as they cross the Mesopotomian desert. The Sergeant (Victor McLaglen) is in charge, the commanding officer, the only one who knows their destination, having been killed by an Arab sniper. The sergeant keeps them heading north hoping to rejoin their brigade. They stop for the night at an oasis and awake the next morning to find their horses stolen, their sentry dead, the oasis surrounded and survival difficult. One by one, the men are picked off as they desperately fend off the enemy, waiting for reinforcements to arrive. The last survivors are rescued by golf cart.

Come to think of it what happened to our horses! :tired: Oh yeah! We didn't have any...Phew! :D Maybe we should start calling Paul "Sarge!" <_<

180px-Lost_patrol.jpeg

Come to think of it what happened to our horses! :D Oh yeah! We didn't have any...Phew! :D Maybe we should start calling Paul "Sarge!" <_<

I dont know why I am getting so much enjoyment out of getting beat up! :tired::D ..Sarge... :D

TA

180px-Lost_patrol.jpeg

Come to think of it what happened to our horses! :D Oh yeah! We didn't have any...Phew! :D Maybe we should start calling Paul "Sarge!" <_<

I dont know why I am getting so much enjoyment out of getting beat up! :tired::D ..Sarge... :D

TA

In some states if you never get picked on that means that nobody likes you. But I'm not sure if California is one of those states....Just kidding! :D:D Anyhow, you should name one of those TBD caches "The Lost Patrol" by Sarge! :D Edited by TrailGators

180px-Lost_patrol.jpeg

Interesting to see this. Victor McLaglen used to have a group in the San Fernando Valley area called the Rough Riders. These were individuals that rode their horses together and at times some of them appeared in movies like the one you mentioned. My father was a member of this group. I don't know if he was in this movie, but he had a calvary sword and boots that I used to play with. I remember seeing this movie many years ago.

180px-Lost_patrol.jpeg

Come to think of it what happened to our horses! :drama: Oh yeah! We didn't have any...Phew! B) Maybe we should start calling Paul "Sarge!" <_<

I dont know why I am getting so much enjoyment out of getting beat up! :unsure::D ..Sarge... :D

TA

In some states if you never get picked on that means that nobody likes you. But I'm not sure if California is one of those states....Just kidding! :DB) Anyhow, you should name one of those TBD caches "The Lost Patrol" by Sarge! B)

Well, all 3 of my caches published. :D:D Historia came up with an idea that will show up shortly, a puzzle of course. He did a good job on it. :D

180px-Lost_patrol.jpeg

Come to think of it what happened to our horses! B) Oh yeah! We didn't have any...Phew! :drama: Maybe we should start calling Paul "Sarge!" <_<

I dont know why I am getting so much enjoyment out of getting beat up! :unsure::D ..Sarge... :D

TA

In some states if you never get picked on that means that nobody likes you. But I'm not sure if California is one of those states....Just kidding! :DB) Anyhow, you should name one of those TBD caches "The Lost Patrol" by Sarge! B)

Well, all 3 of my caches published. :D:D Historia came up with an idea that will show up shortly, a puzzle of course. He did a good job on it. :D

Looking forward to it! I assume that was the puzzle that you guys placed without Miragee, Toby's Gang and me?

finkbr, duganrm and I were thinking of hitting Cowles Mountain this Thursday for the night hike. I am not sure of the parking or path to take but I will try to post something tonight if others are interested. Anyone know the elevation climb? I heard that parking should be near Barker Way. Looks like a dozen or so caches, mostly near a trail. There are a few others away from the main path we may also collect. Any suggested paths or tracks that someone can send me? Yes, I solved the puzzles up there... :laughing:

Link to Geocaching Google Maps:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gmnearest.a...;zm=15&mt=h

TA

Edited by Team Adelos
finkbr, duganrm and I were thinking of hitting Cowles Mountain this Thursday for the night hike. I am not sure of the parking or path to take but I will try to post something tonight if others are interested. Anyone know the elevation climb? I heard that parking should be near Barker Way. Looks like a dozen or so caches, mostly near a trail. There are a few others away from the main path we may also collect. Any suggested paths or tracks that someone can send me? Yes, I solved the puzzles up there... :laughing:

TA

There are two ways up. The Barker is one way and the main trail is the other. It all depends which caches you need. You could park in two spots and go up one way and down the other to hit them all. I think the vertical is around 1200 feet. I can't go. My son has a Hockey game every Thursday night.
finkbr, duganrm and I were thinking of hitting Cowles Mountain this Thursday for the night hike. I am not sure of the parking or path to take but I will try to post something tonight if others are interested. Anyone know the elevation climb? I heard that parking should be near Barker Way. Looks like a dozen or so caches, mostly near a trail. There are a few others away from the main path we may also collect. Any suggested paths or tracks that someone can send me? Yes, I solved the puzzles up there... :ph34r:

If you can wait until tonight, I can send you my tracks. All the caches are on or very near some trail or other. Generally speaking, you can make a big loop (with a few spurs). If it were me, I'd park at Barker Way.

The cache named "Can we play too" is best approached from the little stub street off Barker Way.

Don't forget to solve "Fruit Salad"... :laughing:

TA

There are least four main trails to the top (about 1590 ft)- that I know of.

Golfcrest, near Navajo - elevation about 660ft; this is the main trail and has lots of annoying swithbacks;

Barker Wy - elevation is about 740ft; the shortest and steepest approach; there is an off-shoot trail before the climb; there is an off-shoot off that off-shoot, and all have caches;

Big Rock - elevation is about 450ft; aka Santee approach - seldom used but a very nice trail; a Mesa Rd trail also connects to this one;

Mission Gorge, near Golfcrest - elevation about 525ft; the longest approach; goes by Pyle Peak.

All the trails have caches.

Have fun!

If you can wait until tonight, I can send you my tracks. All the caches are on or very near some trail or other. Generally speaking, you can make a big loop (with a few spurs). If it were me, I'd park at Barker Way.

The cache named "Can we play too" is best approached from the little stub street off Barker Way.

Don't forget to solve "Fruit Salad"... :ph34r:

Great.. send them to me tonight, if you can. Great information. Thanks to both Chuy and LLOT. I think will ma park on the outlet off Barker Way. Seems the best for the hike we want to do. I want to get to the top and hit the caches along the way. We will have to take the North bound trail toward Santee another time I think. I think that goes the th "Out with ChuckB" cache also..

TA

finkbr, duganrm and I were thinking of hitting Cowles Mountain this Thursday for the night hike. I am not sure of the parking or path to take but I will try to post something tonight if others are interested. Anyone know the elevation climb? I heard that parking should be near Barker Way. Looks like a dozen or so caches, mostly near a trail. There are a few others away from the main path we may also collect. Any suggested paths or tracks that someone can send me? Yes, I solved the puzzles up there... :ph34r:

Don't forget to solve "Fruit Salad"... :ph34r:

Great.. send them to me tonight, if you can. Great information. Thanks to both Chuy and LLOT. I think will ma park on the outlet off Barker Way. Seems the best for the hike we want to do. I want to get to the top and hit the caches along the way. We will have to take the North bound trail toward Santee another time I think. I think that goes the th "Out with ChuckB" cache also..

TA

It's supposed to rain some. The trails will be slicker than dog snot! You know what that means . . .

Ya'll gonna die! :D:laughing: