San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Thanks Chuy! for getting this adventure going. The 31 Dec 06 version of the SDCET was a great caching group. Valley of the Moon is a very special place and I'm going back again soon to explore all the areas we didn't have time to cover. The view from the wind cave at the top of the mountain at Paxton's Vacation Villa was worth the DNA samples we donated to get there. The Silver Tacomas handled the trails with no strain -- we'll have to find more places to test them out. Miragee and I posted some photos of the expedition on the http://sdgeocachers.org web page.

Happy New Year to all!

Thanks M2for setting up that website; I signed up.

Other local cachers should look into his website; M2 is providing us a website to upload photos. You can then post elsewhere with the url.

Here is my new truck - Ginger! likes!

IMG_2755.jpg

Hey! the're saved, the first results just hit the cache page. You'll see what I mean about some people minimizing the experience and others telling it like it is.

Ain't that sweet - the way Harmon cares about us!!! :anitongue:

If you approach it the correct way, the urban jungle is not too bad - unless you went in the wrong way - Harmon's way! ;):signalviolin::wub:

John of "jahoadi and john" was even able to make it despite foot surgery a few weeks back! He was keeping up even though he was wearing a sandal(!) and a hiking boot. He had to be careful not to get his foot wet. On top of that, he had lost his GPSr and had to walk halfway back before it was found.

John gets my vote for the most dedicated cacher of the year so far!!!

So, who's telling it like it is??? - I guess that when people reach a certain age, the stories just get better and better... ;)

'Nuff Said!

Why I oughta .... :anitongue:

This for John ... GPS shoes and boots.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Hey! the're saved, the first results just hit the cache page. You'll see what I mean about some people minimizing the experience and others telling it like it is.

Ain't that sweet - the way Harmon cares about us!!! :D

If you approach it the correct way, the urban jungle is not too bad - unless you went in the wrong way - Harmon's way! :D:D:D

John of "jahoadi and john" was even able to make it despite foot surgery a few weeks back! He was keeping up even though he was wearing a sandal(!) and a hiking boot. He had to be careful not to get his foot wet. On top of that, he had lost his GPSr and had to walk halfway back before it was found.

John gets my vote for the most dedicated cacher of the year so far!!!

So, who's telling it like it is??? - I guess that when people reach a certain age, the stories just get better and better... :D

'Nuff Said!

Why I oughta .... :D

This for John ... GPS shoes and boots.

:D Thanks Harmon!! I just delt with the sandal because there was a cache we needed at the end of the trek! The Polar Bear led the way and that made it easier for me. I will tell everyone that all of Harmon's descriptions are real and if you go for this one, be prepared to get dirty and wet even it you find a relatively "clear" path to the goods. You will have to go through a thicket eventually. :D

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Where: Mount McGinty

When: Thursday, January 11

Time: 6:00 pm - 10/11:00pm (NIGHT HIKE)

Distance: about 5 Miles

Time: about 4 - 5 Hours (with new caches)

Temp: 66°/38°

Moon: Last Quarter

Geocaching Map of Area: Mount McGinty

Where to Meet & Park: 32.737197, -116.85984

finkbr, duganrm, and I are planning on doing a night hike on Thursday, January 11. There are 16+ caches to collect on this hike and possibly a puzzle. :laughing: All are welcomed to join us. You would need to dress warm enough, bring water and a light, of course. This is a pretty steady climb that is not too bad. Here is my last elevation climb chart. It is about 1000+ feet climb. Not bad. I bet the night views are great!

TA

Edited by Team Adelos

finkbr, duganrm, and I are planning on doing a night hike on Thursday, January 11. There are 16+ caches to collect on this hike and possibly a puzzle. :laughing: All are welcomed to join us. You would need to dress warm enough, bring water and a light, of course. This is a pretty steady climb that is not too bad. Here is my last elevation climb chart. It is about 1000+ feet climb. Not bad. I bet the night views are great!

TA

I'd like to go with you guys and try out my new hikin' stick but I have to work Friday. I probably shouldn't do this on a work night.

After all, I need to make sure I get enough beauty sleep...Sheesh, if that's the case I'd better get to bed by 6:00. :laughing::laughing:

TA

:laughing::laughing: Your elevation just doubled...see the new caches this am????? Last night would have been really cool with the full moon.

Edited by jahoadi and john

TA

I'd like to go with you guys and try out my new hikin' stick but I have to work Friday. I probably shouldn't do this on a work night.

After all, I need to make sure I get enough beauty sleep...Sheesh, if that's the case I'd better get to bed by 6:00. :laughing::laughing:

I have the same problem. But I would like to do that hike again.

TA

Maybe this weekend????

I'd like to go with you guys and try out my new hikin' stick but I have to work Friday. I probably shouldn't do this on a work night. After all, I need to make sure I get enough beauty sleep...Sheesh, if that's the case I'd better get to bed by 6:00. :laughing::laughing:

Maybe this weekend????

Saturday might work! Let me check with the boss!

093e8ee9-4850-4b50-b399-49a80301e46a.jpg

* It looks like there are five new ones up on McGinty as well as Miragee's McGinty Mine puzzle cache!

** I had to modify my code to fit the new 7 digit GC. So the last digit is the Terrain rating (add 1 and then /2).

Edited by TrailGators

finkbr, duganrm, and I are planning on doing a night hike on Thursday, January 11. There are 16+ caches to collect on this hike and possibly a puzzle. :( All are welcomed to join us. You would need to dress warm enough, bring water and a light, of course. This is a pretty steady climb that is not too bad. Here is my last elevation climb chart. It is about 1000+ feet climb. Not bad. I bet the night views are great!

TA

:rolleyes::wub: Your elevation just doubled...see the new caches this am????? Last night would have been really cool with the full moon.

Saw that.. thanks, I think. That increases the time too. I will have to think about that more. :) Amazing what that FJ can do! :wub:

After all, I need to make sure I get enough beauty sleep...Sheesh, if that's the case I'd better get to bed by 6:00. :rolleyes::wub:

Maybe this weekend????
I checked with the boss and I can go Saturday. It will take me about an hour to get down there so how about meeting around 9:30ish?

After all, I need to make sure I get enough beauty sleep...Sheesh, if that's the case I'd better get to bed by 6:00. :rolleyes::wub:

Maybe this weekend????
I checked with the boss and I can go Saturday. It will take me about an hour to get down there so how about meeting around 9:30ish?

9:30 sounds good. I have McGinty Mine ready to go too.

Looks like there's a TC up there too that I haven't found yet.

Edited by Toby's Gang
Hey TrailGators how far into Boden did you guys get the other day, were you able to get to the old stage stop?
Hi Vagabond, we parked at gate 3 down from the shooting range and hiked down into Boden canyon and then hiked as far as we could go until we hit a barb wire fence. There was an old rusted metal building near the end of the trail. I'm not sure what that used to be. Anyhow, it was a beautiful area off-the-beaten-path area that everyone should check out sometime!
Hey TrailGators how far into Boden did you guys get the other day, were you able to get to the old stage stop?
Hi Vagabond, we parked at gate 3 down from the shooting range and hiked down into Boden canyon and then hiked as far as we could go until we hit a barb wire fence. There was an old rusted metal building near the end of the trail. I'm not sure what that used to be. Anyhow, it was a beautiful area off-the-beaten-path area that everyone should check out sometime!

Lets see that old tin shed was on the right side of the trail right, and under and around oak trees. If its the one i'm thinking of it had chicken wire on part of it back then. The stage stop was a ways further on down the trail.

Lets see that old tin shed was on the right side of the trail right, and under and around oak trees. If its the one i'm thinking of it had chicken wire on part of it back then. The stage stop was a ways further on down the trail.

The tin shack was on the west side of the trail under some trees. If the stage stop is farther north from there then it is inside the fenced off area.... Edited by TrailGators
9:30 sounds good. I have McGinty Mine ready to go too. Looks like there's a TC up there too that I haven't found yet.
I'd like to hit the TC too. I haven't looked at the puzzle yet....What coords should we meet at?

How about the same coordinates the where tonight's group is meeting? I've only been there once and that's where we met. I don't know if there is a better starting point then that.

If anybody else wants to go maybe they will know of a better spot. Anyone???

9:30 sounds good. I have McGinty Mine ready to go too. Looks like there's a TC up there too that I haven't found yet.
I'd like to hit the TC too. I haven't looked at the puzzle yet....What coords should we meet at?

How about the same coordinates the where tonight's group is meeting? I've only been there once and that's where we met. I don't know if there is a better starting point then that.

Saturday eh? hmm.. this sounds good also. I need the new ones, but more the exercise! [:laughing:] I might be able to join you, but it depends on the kids.

TA

Saturday eh? hmm.. this sounds good also. I need the new ones, but more the exercise! [ :laughing: ] I might be able to join you, but it depends on the kids.

TA

That's why they invented daycare :laughing:

Saturday eh? hmm.. this sounds good also. I need the new ones, but more the exercise! [:laughing:] I might be able to join you, but it depends on the kids.

TA

Make it an easy to find park and ride as I would like to tag along.....really!! :laughing:

OK let's me here: N32 44.232 W116 51.590 at 9:30AM on Saturday! Edited by TrailGators

That rusted metal building looked a lot (to me anyway) like a hunter's blind.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

OK let's me here: N32 44.232 W116 51.590 at 9:30AM on Saturday!

:laughing: I parked on Wild Wood. It cuts off a tad ( 1/2 mile maybe?)..you just have to walk across somones driveway.

OK let's me here: N32 44.232 W116 51.590 at 9:30AM on Saturday!

:laughing: I parked on Wild Wood. It cuts off a tad ( 1/2 mile maybe?)..you just have to walk across someones driveway.

Edited by jahoadi and john

A T T E N T I O N: Date has been changed

When: Saturday, January 6 ( U P D A T E D )

Time: 9:30 AM - ?

Distance: about 5-7 Miles (Depending if we grab all the caches)

Time: about 4 - ?+ Hours

There are 16+ caches to collect on this hike and possibly a puzzle. :D All are welcomed to join us. You would need to dress warm enough, bring water and a light, of course (EDIT: Don't need the light since it is changed to the daytime). This is a pretty steady climb that is not too bad. Here is my last elevation climb chart. It is about 1000+ feet climb without the new caches. It may be doubled with the new caches, per J&J. I bet the night views are great!

Come Join us!

TA

Edited by Team Adelos

Saturday eh? hmm.. this sounds good also. I need the new ones, but more the exercise! [ :D ] I might be able to join you, but it depends on the kids.

TA

That's why they invented daycare :D

Looks like I will be there with or without the kids. :D

TA

There are 16+ caches to collect on this hike and possibly a puzzle. :D All are welcomed to join us. You would need to dress warm enough, bring water and a light, of course. This is a pretty steady climb that is not too bad. Here is my last elevation climb chart. It is about 1000+ feet climb without the new caches. It may be doubled with the new caches, per J&J. I bet the night views are great!

Do you still need a light if you are starting at 9:30am? How long you planning to stay out there? :D

There are 16+ caches to collect on this hike and possibly a puzzle. :D All are welcomed to join us. You would need to dress warm enough, bring water. This is a pretty steady climb that is not too bad. Here is my last elevation climb chart. It is about 1000+ feet climb without the new caches. It may be doubled with the new caches, per J&J. I bet the night views are great!

Do you still need a light if you are starting at 9:30am? How long you planning to stay out there? :D

Some of those hidding spots can be pretty dark! :D Nope, no light should be necessary. :D

You will need a light if you decide to investigate the mine . . . :lol:
I'll have to bring my new mini flashlight! :lol:
I got one too!!

Oh, alright...I'll bring mine as well...

(And yes, that means that at least one of the LLOTs is planning on showing up at the appointed time and place...)

FYI: There is a way to go up and come out in a different spot so we won't have to climb the mountain twice! So we'll drop off a car at the end spot to take the drivers back to their cars at the meeting spot! :lol: Edited by TrailGators
I got one too!!

(And yes, that means that at least one of the LLOTs is planning on showing up at the appointed time and place...)

FYI: There is a way to go up and come out in a different spot so we won't have to climb the mountain twice! So we'll drop off a car at the end spot to take the drivers back to their cars at the meeting spot! :lol:

:lol: I want those tracks! I have a meeting in Jamul concerning the Wildlife Refuge and it's future use ( yes to geo-caching!!) so I can't join you. r/ jodi

I'll have to bring my new mini flashlight! ;)
I got one too!!

FYI: There is a way to go up and come out in a different spot so we won't have to climb the mountain twice! So we'll drop off a car at the end spot to take the drivers back to their cars at the meeting spot! ;)

:lol: I want those tracks! I have a meeting in Jamul concerning the Wildlife Refuge and it's future use ( yes to geo-caching!!) so I can't join you. r/ jodi

We will have to edit out where we plant the caches.. :lol::lol:

Edited by Team Adelos
I got one too!!

FYI: There is a way to go up and come out in a different spot so we won't have to climb the mountain twice! So we'll drop off a car at the end spot to take the drivers back to their cars at the meeting spot! :lol:
Jodi, after your meeting you could hike in from the back-side and meet us coming that way. I'm sure that we won't be done until around 2-3ish... Edited by TrailGators

And here's the route plotted out on the map.

daa899ac-e413-49be-9b87-e7e863932b57.jpg

It looks like where I went ahead and waited for everyone at an intersection is where we went off course.

That was quite a hike today. I'm glad you're doing ok after that extra bit of walking we ended up doing.

It's pretty impressive when seeing it on the map.