San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

The weather killed caching today and tomorrow is not looking good either..... :)

Hopefully Friday will be better! :P

:) It killed caching? I wonder where John is then. I haven't seen him since 0630 when he left with Chuy! and his GPS and new "bag" (he got rid of the Target shopping bag)!! :):P

Thank goodness he stopped using that target bag! I have one for him ya know.. :P

Update: We are now going do the Boden Canyon caches on Friday 12/29. The wind tomorrow should dry out the mud and so Friday should be a great day to do this hike. Anyone that wants to join us can meet us at Gobolts! (disabled) Dinghy (poor guy) at 9AM. If you are coming, please chime in so I'll know to wait for you. :)

I'm still interested and I have Friday off so count me as probable. I'll let you know for certain tomorrow...

Update: We are now going do the Boden Canyon caches on Friday 12/29. The wind tomorrow should dry out the mud and so Friday should be a great day to do this hike. Anyone that wants to join us can meet us at Gobolts! (disabled) Dinghy (poor guy) at 9AM. If you are coming, please chime in so I'll know to wait for you. :P

His dinghy is missing?! Who would do such a thing?

I would go with you guys but I have to work. Bummer. :)

The weather killed caching today and tomorrow is not looking good either..... :D

Hopefully Friday will be better! :D

:D It killed caching? I wonder where John is then. I haven't seen him since 0630 when he left with Chuy! and his GPS and new "bag" (he got rid of the Target shopping bag)!! :D:D
It was really windy and pouring rain up here most of the day. Those guys went out caching? Maybe they went to the desert or some place where the weather was better....I bet it was really hard for John to get rid of that Target bag.... :ph34r:
Just talked with Chuy!, they're still going at it. He said they are up to about 40 caches on the day. Tsk, tsk, only 3.3 caches an hour. :D
Wow 40 caches in the rain! John must be caching with his new Wal-Mart shopping "bag" on his head! :ph34r:

(I'm just kidding John :huh: )

It was raining? :huh:

Actually, we only got rained on at our first cache, that Corporate one with the new 5-digit GC#. Our next cache was in Solana Beach which was a slow drive due to accidents and a downpour, but it stopped raining when we arrived. We continued north and east on 78, never getting rained on again. We nabbed about 55 caches and 6 DNFs. And John did have to put up with plenty of "bag" jokes :D . He was quite a trooper as he hopped along on his "fat" toe, including a three-hour hike through Guajome Park - although we did drive to the end of the park.

Update: We are now going do the Boden Canyon caches on Friday 12/29. The wind tomorrow should dry out the mud and so Friday should be a great day to do this hike. Anyone that wants to join us can meet us at Gobolts! (disabled) Dinghy (poor guy) at 9AM. If you are coming, please chime in so I'll know to wait for you. :ph34r:
I just found out that the Orosco shooting range is OPEN! Hiking in from the shooting range is a better way to go. Plus we could stop by the Big Red cache if we go that way. So let's meet at the main gate on Pamo Road at 9AM. Those that don't have Adventure passes can park down the road from the main gate on Pamo road. Then we can all drive up to Gate 3 to park/start the hike. There is a locked gate at Pamo Road so you need a code --> gate code is 0922

Hike is about 6.5 miles roundtrip from Gate 3:

e565f57e-6295-48da-b874-c1b6abc8534c.jpg922

Edited by TrailGators
Update: We are now going do the Boden Canyon caches on Friday 12/29. The wind tomorrow should dry out the mud and so Friday should be a great day to do this hike. Anyone that wants to join us can meet us at Gobolts! (disabled) Dinghy (poor guy) at 9AM. If you are coming, please chime in so I'll know to wait for you. :D
I just found out that the Orosco shooting range is OPEN! Hiking in from the shooting range is a better way to go. Plus we could stop by the Big Red cache if we go that way. So let's meet at the main gate on Pamo Road at 9AM. Those that don't have Adventure passes can park down the road from the main gate on Pamo road. Then we can all drive up to Gate 3 to park/start the hike. There is a locked gate at Pamo Road so you need a code --> gate code is 0922

Hike is about 6.5 miles roundtrip from Gate 3:

e565f57e-6295-48da-b874-c1b6abc8534c.jpg922

I wish I could go with you guys. That Big Red cache has been pretty lonely.

I wish I could go with you guys. That Big Red cache has been pretty lonely.
I have three days left on my Adventure Pass so I need to find Big Red soon!

BTW, did I just hear you sneeze? I think you are too sick to go to work tomorrow! :D

I wish I could but I'm already covering for someone on vacation. Besides, I'm doing The Forbidden Forest if that is still on for tomorrow night.

I've got the Forbidden Forest on my radar for Friday night. I am looking forward to hearing Robyn SCREAM when she finds the spyders and all the nasties on the trail...

Me scream? That's why I'm sending the boys FIRST! Mama didn't raise no fool.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at 8:00 p.m. Not sure of the parking - I would assume that you need a pass. Oh yeah, duh, don't forget the flashlights!

Robyn :D

p.s. Bill - I have an extra bag of ammo

Anybody up for "Navajo Adventure" (GCW7JM) on Sunday 12/31????

Starttime 9-10'ish in the morning, but I'm flexible.

Ya gonna die!

My invitation to In Ko Pah is still open for Sunday morning. Is 0500 too early for a polar bear :D ?

M2, Miragee, Ginger! and I have committed.

Ya gonna die!

My invitation to In Ko Pah is still open for Sunday morning. Is 0500 too early for a polar bear :D ?

M2, Miragee, Ginger! and I have committed.

What?? Me?? ...too early??? :)

I'll have you know that I have an inverse relationship between getting out of bed and the number of caches to find. The more caches - the earlier I get up! If it's worthwhile, I can always reschedule Navajo Adventure to the afternoon or on Monday 1/1

So, how many caches are we talking about? Is it a 4WD event all the way? In that case I need to hitch a ride with somebody. Where do we meet at what time?

Holy croak, Navajo Adventure ... y'all gonna die!

One thing for sure, being "flexible" will be a bonus. What part of my log entry did you fail to read by the way? I know what you're thinking ... "Harmon is seventy-two years old and he scored a find so how hard can it be?"

Leave your organ-donor cards under a wiper blade of your vehicle. No wait, when y'all die in that jungle nobody will ever find your remains anyway so don't worry about the organ-donor cards.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Weather permitting, Ginger! and I are planning a cache run through In Ko Pah Mountain on Sunday, December 31st - depart Lakeside area by 0530.

Hope to be done by noon'ish to catch the Chargers' game.

The route is numbered from "00trl" to "25 HK89"; I can share the .gdb file. The drive to 00trl is about one hour from Lakeside.

I've got room for 1-3 fearless souls.

961c1250-d3af-4bff-8282-0208c58aa075.jpg

It was on the last page.

Miragee is riding with M2; I have room for you.

We're doing the Mtn first, with 7 caches - the ones I need <_< . There are about 6-8 more on the bottom we can do afterwards till noon'ish when I need to depart. Once we get off the freeway I can "throw" Ginger!" in the bed and then I'll have room for two more.

You can park at my house in Lakeside (N32 50.901 W116 54.469), or at a park n ride of your choice. Or if you want to cache beyond noon'ish, you can drive and park near Tweet Tweet.

If you use MapSource, I can send you trailhead coords for the caches on top.

I've got the Forbidden Forest on my radar for Friday night. I am looking forward to hearing Robyn SCREAM when she finds the spyders and all the nasties on the trail...

Me scream? That's why I'm sending the boys FIRST! Mama didn't raise no fool.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at 8:00 p.m. Not sure of the parking - I would assume that you need a pass. Oh yeah, duh, don't forget the flashlights!

Robyn <_<

p.s. Bill - I have an extra bag of ammo

We are going to have to miss this one. Fighting off a cold and its winning. Anyhow, have a blast! :D We will catch up next time! Don't forget to dress warm!

TA

It was on the last page.

We're doing the Mtn first, with 7 caches - the ones I need <_< . There are about 6-8 more on the bottom we can do afterwards till noon'ish when I need to depart. Once we get off the freeway I can "throw" Ginger!" in the bed and then I'll have room for two more.

You can park at my house in Lakeside (N32 50.901 W116 54.469), or at a park n ride of your choice. Or if you want to cache beyond noon'ish, you can drive and park near Tweet Tweet.

After reading past postings, you're still planning on leaving around 5:30 am for ETA by Smuggler's Cave around 6:30 am?

Is M2 and Miragee staying after 12 noon??? I see 18 caches in the general area but I have no idea if 4WD is required.

I'll go with you guys - I'm just trying to figure out some details...

It was on the last page.

After reading past postings, you're still planning on leaving around 5:30 am for ETA by Smuggler's Cave around 6:30 am?

Is M2 and Miragee staying after 12 noon??? I see 18 caches in the general area but I have no idea if 4WD is required.

Departure time varies by origin (I'll be leaving La Mesa at 0515) but the plan is to rendezvous at N32 38.388 W116 06.421 (near TWEET TWEET, GCRYM6) at 0630. The rendezvous is just off Old Hwy 80 near exit 78 on I-8. Smuggler's cave is along the route but is not the meeting place.

I may stay beyond noonish if Miragee is interested. The weather is still looking good (64/39, mostly sunny, 0% chance of rain). I've never been to the area but Google Earth and photos of the area indicate that 4WD is probably a good idea on the mountain roads at least. See you there!

I enjoyed doing Forbidden Forest with everyone tonight.

Now I have a small problem. I left my Diabetes TB in Endor (GCXRO3) as well as checking out & in another TB. Now I find out it was a premium cache. How do I handle the logging?

Bill

Since I was there with you I handled it for you by grabbing it from your hand at Endor.

It was on the last page.

We're doing the Mtn first, with 7 caches - the ones I need ;) . There are about 6-8 more on the bottom we can do afterwards till noon'ish when I need to depart. Once we get off the freeway I can "throw" Ginger!" in the bed and then I'll have room for two more.

Departure time varies by origin (I'll be leaving La Mesa at 0515) but the plan is to rendezvous at N32 38.388 W116 06.421 (near TWEET TWEET, GCRYM6) at 0630. The rendezvous is just off Old Hwy 80 near exit 78 on I-8. Smuggler's cave is along the route but is not the meeting place.

I may stay beyond noonish if Miragee is interested. The weather is still looking good (64/39, mostly sunny, 0% chance of rain). I've never been to the area but Google Earth and photos of the area indicate that 4WD is probably a good idea on the mountain roads at least. See you there!

Dhsundance responded to my inquiry on No Hitchhiking Allowed cache; definitely need 4X4 to get closer than half a mile. The others should be doable with high clearance.

Map4Navigation, Fisnjack, and Polar Bear have confimed seats in my coche.

I moved this up one day to Monday 1/1 instead - same time if anybody is interested to tag along.

Maybe Harmon would like to tag along and guide our brave (doomed) souls?!?!? ;)

I realize that some of you might stay up late the night before :D - and if you want to tag along but don't see yourself out there until 11- Noon'ish, that's OK too!

I moved this up one day to Monday 1/1 instead - same time if anybody is interested to tag along.

I realize that some of you might stay up late the night before :D - and if you want to tag along but don't see yourself out there until 11- Noon'ish, that's OK too!

I might be intrested in going on Monday...if I get down from this snow covered crowded mountain in time. I'll know for sure by Sunday afternoon and I'll let you know if I can make it!! :(

I might be intrested in going on Monday...if I get down from this snow covered crowded mountain in time. I'll know for sure by Sunday afternoon and I'll let you know if I can make it!! :(

Read my lips ... being "guided" through that urban jungle is not a viable option. There's just no way one can keep sight of other members of an expedition.

Beware of the swarming tse-tse flies, the voracious spiders, the mobilized army-ants, the slashing palm thorns, the tenacious cholla burrs, the howling hounds, and strangling vines. Think about it, that's the way Dr. Livingston presumed to penetrate darkest Africa but he lived to tell about it. In your case ...

d8be9b3e-3ff4-4a73-b51c-518ab183c7fc.jpg

O, by th' way, have a nice Monday. Which way do you plan to penetrate that jungle?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

<SNIP>

O, by th' way, have a nice Monday. Which way do you plan to penetrate that jungle?

Harmon

We'll probably parachute out of our cargo plane and rendezvous at Skull Mountain within 3 days. If we survive :anitongue: the drop, we have supplies for about 10 days before we have to resort to eating rodents and insects...

...Or, we might just work our way in from the service road. I scouted the area in the summer - it wasn't too bad from that direction - So why didn't I go and grab it? Well, I was wearing shorts and a tanktop... 'nuff said!

Hey Everyone!

Looks like Friday night is the night for the Forbidden Forest. All of Team Reid, including Cameron (15 1/2) and Connor (11), will be there, with about 1 million candlewatt power. Love to have some company!

Say 8:00 p.m. at the suggested parking location on the cache page? Hope to see everyone there.

Robyn :anitongue:

Hey! How come NOBODY admitted to being detained by the cops? We got yelled at, inspected and questioned about our motives and intentions for being in the "forest". There was another cop coming up from the rear in case the first guy needed back up. They didn't realize we were armed and could fight back, but then that is why he detained us in the first place (because we were armed).

Then Jack goes wondering off on his own mumbing someting about endoor, red door, no door, under drawers or something (you know how them old folks get)and we had to send Richard after him. Poor Richard, he's such a nice guy.

Robyn got a call from her husband on her cell phone (after she went running after her third cache/find (she had promised him it would only be ONE cache). Funny thing was, he was less that 100 yards away WAITING on Robyn so he could go home a sit by the fire.

So with all the drama added to the fact that this is after all, a DAK girls cache where anything could happen it was a fun filled evening.

Edited by habu!
Which way do you plan to penetrate that jungle?
We'll probably parachute out of our cargo plane and rendezvous at Skull Mountain within 3 days. If we survive :anitongue: the drop, we have supplies for about 10 days before we have to resort to eating rodents and insects ... or we might just work our way in from the service road.

90a2c3f4-9166-4601-b213-8149c661ea1c.jpg

Service road for seesies. Bwah-hah-hah!

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

<SNIP>

Harmon

We'll probably parachute out of our cargo plane and rendezvous at Skull Mountain within 3 days. If we survive :ph34r: the drop, we have supplies for about 10 days before we have to resort to eating rodents and insects...

...Or, we might just work our way in from the service road. I scouted the area in the summer - it wasn't too bad from that direction - So why didn't I go and grab it? Well, I was wearing shorts and a tanktop... 'nuff said!

:anibad: Just in case we find the full suit of armor out in the garage and decide to join you for this "adventure"..where and what time? Hey Harmon...I'm not a sissy!! r/ jodi

<SNIP>

Harmon

We'll probably parachute out of our cargo plane and rendezvous at Skull Mountain within 3 days. If we survive ;) the drop, we have supplies for about 10 days before we have to resort to eating rodents and insects...

:ph34r: Just in case we find the full suit of armor out in the garage and decide to join you for this "adventure"..where and what time? Hey Harmon...I'm not a sissy!! r/ jodi

How about Noon at Easton Ct - Just outside the church parking lot. This time and place gives even Harmon a chance to come and do it over again - the correct way!!! :anibad::mad::mad:

Hey Everyone!

Looks like Friday night is the night for the Forbidden Forest. All of Team Reid, including Cameron (15 1/2) and Connor (11), will be there, with about 1 million candlewatt power. Love to have some company!

Say 8:00 p.m. at the suggested parking location on the cache page? Hope to see everyone there.

Robyn :anibad:

Hey! How come NOBODY admitted to being detained by the cops? We got yelled at, inspected and questioned about our motives and intentions for being in the "forest". There was another cop coming up from the rear in case the first guy needed back up. They didn't realize we were armed and could fight back, but then that is why he detained us in the first place (because we were armed).

Then Jack goes wondering off on his own mumbing someting about endoor, red door, no door, under drawers or something (you know how them old folks get)and we had to send Richard after him. Poor Richard, he's such a nice guy.

Robyn got a call from her husband on her cell phone (after she went running after her third cache/find (she had promised him it would only be ONE cache). Funny thing was, he was less that 100 yards away WAITING on Robyn so he could go home a sit by the fire.

So with all the drama added to the fact that this is after all, a DAK girls cache where anything could happen it was a fun filled evening.

Well I went with Jack since he seemed to know where he was going, ;-) and never saw the police.

How about Noon at Easton Ct - Just outside the church parking lot. This time and place gives even Harmon a chance to come and do it over again - the correct way!!! ;)B);)

Hopefully I will be able to wake up in time to make it. Seems a little early for me. ;)

B) We may try to be there too B) Coming Harmon?? Wake up Richard B)

We will try too...Kwver

How about Noon at Easton Ct - Just outside the church parking lot. This time and place gives even Harmon a chance to come and do it over again - the correct way!!! ;);)B)

Hopefully I will be able to wake up in time to make it. Seems a little early for me. B)

B) We may try to be there too B) Coming Harmon?? Wake up Richard ;)

We will try too...Kwver

If anybody else wants to go - see you there at Noon today! Here are the coords for parking/meeting place:

N32°47.623

W117°04.392

How about Noon at Easton Ct - Just outside the church parking lot. This time and place gives even Harmon a chance to come and do it over again - the correct way!!! :anitongue:;):anitongue:

Hopefully I will be able to wake up in time to make it. Seems a little early for me. ;)

;) We may try to be there too :wub: Coming Harmon?? Wake up Richard :signalviolin:

We will try too...Kwver

If anybody else wants to go - see you there at Noon today! Here are the coords for parking/meeting place:

N32°47.623

W117°04.392

Well its dark outside and no log entries yet. Any volunteers for a Navajo Adventure search party?

Let th' record show ... I tried t' stop 'em.

Edited by SD Rowdies

How about Noon at Easton Ct - Just outside the church parking lot. This time and place gives even Harmon a chance to come and do it over again - the correct way!!! :anitongue:;):anitongue:

;) We may try to be there too :wub: Coming Harmon?? Wake up Richard :signalviolin:

We will try too...Kwver

N32°47.623

W117°04.392

Well its dark outside and no log entries yet. Any volunteers for a Navajo Adventure search party?

Go ahead and send out the search teams, but, ya'll gonna die!

>Go ahead and send out the search teams, but, ya'll gonna die!

What is it I'm missing regarding 'Navajo Adventure'? I've looked at Google Earth and it's only about 100' from people's backyards in both directions. Looks like there's a little altitude change but nothing requiring repelling gear.

Bill

>Go ahead and send out the search teams, but, ya'll gonna die!

What is it I'm missing regarding 'Navajo Adventure'? I've looked at Google Earth and it's only about 100' from people's backyards in both directions. Looks like there's a little altitude change but nothing requiring repelling gear.

Bill

One of the dangers down there (and there are many) is the killer cactus. I got a chunk of it stuck to the back of my hand and Flagman had to pry it off with his pocket knife. It took weeks for the swelling to go down. :signalviolin:;)

Oh, and I had a great time. I'd go back any time. :anitongue:

Weather permitting, Ginger! and I are planning a cache run through In Ko Pah Mountain on Sunday, December 31st - depart Lakeside area by 0530.

Hope to be done by noon'ish to catch the Chargers' game.

The route is numbered from "00trl" to "25 HK89"; I can share the .gdb file. The drive to 00trl is about one hour from Lakeside.

I've got room for 1-3 fearless souls.

It was on the last page.

We're doing the Mtn first, with 7 caches - the ones I need :anitongue: . There are about 6-8 more on the bottom we can do afterwards till noon'ish when I need to depart. Once we get off the freeway I can "throw" Ginger!" in the bed and then I'll have room for two more.

Thanks Chuy! for getting this adventure going. The 31 Dec 06 version of the SDCET was a great caching group. Valley of the Moon is a very special place and I'm going back again soon to explore all the areas we didn't have time to cover. The view from the wind cave at the top of the mountain at Paxton's Vacation Villa was worth the DNA samples we donated to get there. The Silver Tacomas handled the trails with no strain -- we'll have to find more places to test them out. Miragee and I posted some photos of the expedition on the http://sdgeocachers.org web page.

Happy New Year to all!

Bill

That stream-fed jungle is a solid mass of tangled vegetation that resists your every move inch by inch. Add to that a deep ravine running down through the jungle, cholla and prickly-pear cactus hiding amongst the vegetation, and thick masses of spiny palm fronds. No trail leads to the cache and much of your progress is made only by crawling under and through solid thickets, pressing through tall forests of reeds, and groping through the spiny palm fronds. Did I mention slogging through water much of the way?

It is interesting to read the few log entries for Navajo Adventure ... especially the sort of entry that minimized the difficulty of their find.

In my own case the experience was like no other in urban San Diego. Don't tell that group that went in today but the truth is that I'm very pleased to know that my log entry is there to be seen in that jungle.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Bill

That stream-fed jungle is a solid mass of tangled vegetation that resists your every move inch by inch. Add to that a deep ravine running down through the jungle, cholla and prickly-pear cactus hiding amongst the vegetation, and thick masses of spiny palm fronds. No trail leads to the cache and much of your progress is made only by crawling under and through solid thickets, pressing through tall forests of reeds, and groping through the spiny palm fronds. Did I mention slogging through water much of the way?

It is interesting to read the few log entries for Navajo Adventure ... especially the sort of entry that minimized the difficulty of their find.

In my own case the experience was like no other in urban San Diego. Don't tell that group that went in today but the truth is that I'm very pleased to know that my log entry is there to be seen in that jungle.

Harmon

Hey! the're saved, the first results just hit the cache page. You'll see what I mean about some people minimizing the experience and others telling it like it is.

Hey! the're saved, the first results just hit the cache page. You'll see what I mean about some people minimizing the experience and others telling it like it is.

Ain't that sweet - the way Harmon cares about us!!! :signalviolin:

If you approach it the correct way, the urban jungle is not too bad - unless you went in the wrong way - Harmon's way! ;):anitongue::anitongue:

John of "jahoadi and john" was even able to make it despite foot surgery a few weeks back! He was keeping up even though he was wearing a sandal(!) and a hiking boot. He had to be careful not to get his foot wet. On top of that, he had lost his GPSr and had to walk halfway back before it was found.

John gets my vote for the most dedicated cacher of the year so far!!!

So, who's telling it like it is??? - I guess that when people reach a certain age, the stories just get better and better... ;)

'Nuff Said!