San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Anything happening this weekend? or is everyone shopping?
I was thinking about doing Boden Canyon on Saturday. I think you guys already did that one.

I dont believe I have anything there. Is that a hike? What would be the center cache to see the area?

TA

Load up The First Circle of Hell: Boden Canyon. It's 10 miles roundtrip, but I think the that trail is fairly flat. It should take 4-5 hours if we go at a nice easy pace. Edited by TrailGators
I was thinking about doing Boden Canyon on Saturday. I think you guys already did that one.

I dont believe I have anything there. Is that a hike? What would be the center cache to see the area?

TA

Load up The First Circle of Hell: Boden Canyon. It's 10 miles roundtrip, but I think the that trail is fairly flat. It should take 4-5 hours if we go at a nice easy pace.

You thinking about also looking for GoBolts! Little Dinghy? Would that be a starting point (or quiting point depending on what is found.) :)

I dont believe I have anything there. Is that a hike? What would be the center cache to see the area? TA
Load up The First Circle of Hell: Boden Canyon. It's 10 miles roundtrip, but I think the that trail is fairly flat. It should take 4-5 hours if we go at a nice easy pace.

You thinking about also looking for GoBolts! Little Dinghy? Would that be a starting point (or quiting point depending on what is found.) :)
That's where you park. I'll let you grab that one but I'll bring you some moist towelettes for afterwards! :rolleyes:

I dont believe I have anything there. Is that a hike? What would be the center cache to see the area? TA

That's where you park. I'll let you grab that one but I'll bring you some moist towelettes for afterwards! :P

Is that hike only? or are bikes (..jeeps..) allowed. :anicute: Of course, if it is a long incline, I will be walking it anyway. :rolleyes:

That's where you park. I'll let you grab that one but I'll bring you some moist towelettes for afterwards! :P

Is that hike only? or are bikes (..jeeps..) allowed. :anicute: Of course, if it is a long incline, I will be walking it anyway. :rolleyes:

It's a hike only trail....

quiet plug for Christmas Card Lane Cache, now up and running for this year, thanks to PQCachers prodding! A good cache for an evening stroll around a festive area. Plenty of bling!

p.s. oh and there is a TB in it that wants to go to New Zealand

p.p.s I am going to England soon so if you have any TBs that want to go too, drop them in!

ttfn Jane

Years ago there used to be an old adobe stage stop and a small jail in the far end of Boden canyon, also there was a way to get into it from Ramona near the dump. Also the trail to the vineyard ranch had a small jeep trail down to Boden canyon at the very end of the boden trail.

We used to deer hunt boden in the 60s and 70s after the area where the wild animal park was closed to hunting.

About half way into the canyon between the main trail and the Guejito ranch property fence line there was a fresh water spring that was deep enough to swim in and was it cold LOL if you know what I mean,on hot days myself and a Friend would stop off at the spring and let our boys take a dip and cool off.

Then stop at Bwana Bobs in San Pasqual valley for one of his 3/4 pound burgers.

When we first started using boden canyon it was strictly 4 wheel drive if you wanted to go in all the way,

the last time we were in there in the late 70s you could get a passenger car almost all the way to the end of the main trail.

Then some ranch started running cattle in there and put in gates which they locked. GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Years ago there used to be an old adobe stage stop and a small jail in the far end of Boden canyon, also there was a way to get into it from Ramona near the dump. Also the trail to the vineyard ranch had a small jeep trail down to Boden canyon at the very end of the boden trail.

We used to deer hunt boden in the 60s and 70s after the area where the wild animal park was closed to hunting.

About half way into the canyon between the main trail and the Guejito ranch property fence line there was a fresh water spring that was deep enough to swim in and was it cold LOL if you know what I mean,on hot days myself and a Friend would stop off at the spring and let our boys take a dip and cool off.

When we first started using boden canyon it was strictly 4 wheel drive if you wanted to go in all the way,

the last time we were in there in the late 70s you could get a passenger car almost all the way to the end of the main trail.

Then some ranch started running cattle in there and put in gates which they locked. GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I also thought there might be a way to the end of the Boden canyon from Bikedog's Bonnie and Clyde cache by following that trail north and hooking around to the west side of that canyon. All those trails look passable with a 4x4 if only there were no gates! When PW's cache first appeared, I was gonna try coming into it from Lake Wohlfold, but like you said that area is all gated off. When Toby's Gang, Duganrm and I placed the Highland Meadow cache we walked almost as far north as you could go on the northern Clevenger Canyon trail before hitting a barb wire fence. It is really cool up there! Anyhow, now there are a bunch of breadcrumb caches that lead to PWs cache from 78. So I might as well hike in from that way and hit all those. I assume that Bwana Bobs is where the San Pasqual Country Store is now located? The store is just down the road from where Bandy Canyon hits 78... Edited by TrailGators

I also thought there might be a way to the end of the Boden canyon from Bikedog's Bonnie and Clyde cache by following that trail north and hooking around to the west side of that canyon. All those trails look passable with a 4x4 if only there were no gates! When PW's cache first appeared, I was gonna try coming into it from Lake Wohlfold, but like you said that area is all gated off. When Toby's Gang, Duganrm and I placed the Highland Meadow cache we walked almost as far north as you could go on the northern Clevenger Canyon trail before hitting a barb wire fence. It is really cool up there! Anyhow, now there are a bunch of breadcrumb caches that lead to PWs cache from 78. So I might as well hike in from that way and hit all those. I assume that Bwana Bobs is where the San Pasqual Country Store is now located? The store is just down the road from where Bandy Canyon hits 78...

I love local history. Hey Pat, the next time you want to go to Boden I want to go too.I'd like to see if we could find the location of the adobe stage stop and the jail.

The last time I was here was in the dark..and IT WAS DARK.

I also thought there might be a way to the end of the Boden canyon from Bikedog's Bonnie and Clyde cache by following that trail north and hooking around to the west side of that canyon. All those trails look passable with a 4x4 if only there were no gates! When PW's cache first appeared, I was gonna try coming into it from Lake Wohlfold, but like you said that area is all gated off. When Toby's Gang, Duganrm and I placed the Highland Meadow cache we walked almost as far north as you could go on the northern Clevenger Canyon trail before hitting a barb wire fence. It is really cool up there! Anyhow, now there are a bunch of breadcrumb caches that lead to PWs cache from 78. So I might as well hike in from that way and hit all those. I assume that Bwana Bobs is where the San Pasqual Country Store is now located? The store is just down the road from where Bandy Canyon hits 78...

I love local history. Hey Pat, the next time you want to go to Boden I want to go too.I'd like to see if we could find the location of the adobe stage stop and the jail.

There are no city lights out there! :) There were some awesome meteor showers a couple of nights ago. That would have been the night to do it! Anyhow Jerry, I'm off all Xmas week. We have company until the morning of the 27th, but I'm free after that. B)

There are no city lights out there! :D There were some awesome meteor showers a couple of nights ago. That would have been the night to do it! Anyhow Jerry, I'm off all Xmas week. We have company until the morning of the 27th, but I'm free after that. :D

Let me know if/when you decide to go. If I can, I'd like to go to.

There are no city lights out there! :D There were some awesome meteor showers a couple of nights ago. That would have been the night to do it! Anyhow Jerry, I'm off all Xmas week. We have company until the morning of the 27th, but I'm free after that. :D

Let me know if/when you decide to go. If I can, I'd like to go to.

OK! Let's shoot for the last few days of this year... :D Edited by TrailGators

I was looking at Google earth and USAphotomaps yesterday afternoon to see what I could see of Boden canyon, I got the clearest pics with photomaps.

I couldn't see the old stagestop which was in a eucalyptus grove, just past the main building was a mineral spring that had a pipe running almost down to the trail emptying into at the time a double basin cement sink like you used to find in the garage. Over a period of about 8 years we replaced the tub with about 5 or 6 others, it seems as it came more accessible visitors would us the tubs for target practice the last time we left an old bathtub.

Here are some coords I picked up from photomaps and they seem real close to the same thing in Google

1. 33.05.195 116.54.390 this would be by geobolts cache

2. 33.05.365 116.53.762 this would be the first Y or T you find the left trail takes you into the part of the canyon with the stagestop, the right trail will take you into the other spur of the canyon and is a shorter route to the Pamo rd exit.

3. 33.09.047 116.53.511 I think this is the start of the old jeep trail at the end of the main Boden trail leading up to the trail to Vineyard ranch.

All the years we were in there the start of the trail was deeply rutted, at the start we would straddle the ruts until they shallowed out then we could cross over them, then it was a decent trail to the top.

4. 33.08.667 116.53.603 This could be the trail to the pond where we used to swim, although the trail seems to go further now then it did back then.

5. 33.06.704 116.53.559 this will be the trail to start over the hill towards Pamo valley. Stay on main trail to here.

6. 33.07.429 116.52.759 right trail will go to Pamo rd. going straight ahead will take you to the locked gate at Vineyard ranch. which at the time would only be locked during deer season I have a funny story about about a game warden and the manager of the ranch on opening day.

7. 33.09.278 116.53.110 this should be where the jeep trail out of the lower canyon intersects the upper trail.

8. 33.06.214 116.51.438 entrance at Pamo rd. left trail will take you thru the spur canyon which was pretty nice before the locked gate went up take the right trail it eventually will get you to main boden canyon.

Now this is all just looking at pics but it should be fairly close, without running the trails I couldn't swear to the coords. One of these days I intend on doing that

Also I couldn't really be sure of where the stagestop is, but I remember there was a couple of meadows near by.

Hope the ramblings of an old timer will help you out there :D:D:D

edit to add yeah I think thats where the old Bwana Bobs was

Edited by vagabond
4. 33.08.667 116.53.603 This could be the trail to the pond where we used to swim, although the trail seems to go further now then it did back then.
This is the trail that heads up to Guejito Road that I was talking about. Guejito Road ends up over by Lake Wohlford. Anyhow, I think this route is blocked off. This is a little bit past PW's cache.

3. 33.09.047 116.53.511 I think this is the start of the old jeep trail at the end of the main Boden trail leading up to the trail to Vineyard ranch.

All the years we were in there the start of the trail was deeply rutted, at the start we would straddle the ruts until they shallowed out then we could cross over them, then it was a decent trail to the top.

This is the area directly west from the Bonnie and Clyde cache I was talking about. It looks to be about 0.5 miles past PW's cache.

Also I couldn't really be sure of where the stagestop is, but I remember there was a couple of meadows near by.
Hmmm, it would have been cool to find this old stagestop! Do you know approximately where this would have been?
This is the trail that heads up to Guejito Road that I was talking about. Guejito Road ends up over by Lake Wohlford. Anyhow, I think this route is blocked off. This is a little bit past PW's cache.

This is the area directly west from the Bonnie and Clyde cache I was talking about. It looks to be about 0.5 miles past PW's cache.

Hmmm, it would have been cool to find this old stagestop! Do you know approximately where this would have been?

from the pics from the sat I'd say in this area 33.07.429 116.52.759

but it seemed to me that it was further up the trail

The last time we were there the jail was still in good shape with most of the bars still in place and the roof was still up this would have been on the south or west side of the trail with the main building across from it.The main building was still in pretty good shape with most of the walls still up but the roof was collapsed.

30 years will make for changes but something should still be there because it was protected by the trees and at least some of the adobe walls should be there unless it was razed for some reason.

If you go in look for the eucalyptus trees if I remember they were only around the stagestop everything else was either oak or cottonwood.

I might go down after the first of the year and do some exploring from the Pamo rd side and see if I can get in

....from the pics from the sat I'd say in this area 33.07.429 116.52.759 but it seemed to me that it was further up the trail.

The last time we were there the jail was still in good shape with most of the bars still in place and the roof was still up this would have been on the south or west side of the trail with the main building across from it.The main building was still in pretty good shape with most of the walls still up but the roof was collapsed.

30 years will make for changes but something should still be there because it was protected by the trees and at least some of the adobe walls should be there unless it was razed for some reason.

If you go in look for the eucalyptus trees if I remember they were only around the stagestop everything else was either oak or cottonwood.

I might go down after the first of the year and do some exploring from the Pamo rd side and see if I can get in

Thanks! That means that the old jail and stagestop are over by the shooting range. There was a locked gate over there that stopped us from driving up the northern dirt road to get to the Bonnie and Clyde cache when we were there. If this gate had been opened we could have driven to the Bonnie and Clyde cache. You could also continue on over to PW's cache. However, I heard that the shooting range has been closed for awhile, so the main gate at Pamo Road is locked. I'm not sure why they lock all the gates because it would be fun to drive around and explore all those dirt roads back there!

Weather permitting, Ginger! and I are planning a cache run through In Ko Pah Mountain on Sunday, December 31st - depart Lakeside area by 0530.

Hope to be done by noon'ish to catch the Chargers' game.

The route is numbered from "00trl" to "25 HK89"; I can share the .gdb file. The drive to 00trl is about one hour from Lakeside.

I've got room for 1-3 fearless souls.

961c1250-d3af-4bff-8282-0208c58aa075.jpg

Hey Everyone!

Looks like Friday night is the night for the Forbidden Forest. All of Team Reid, including Cameron (15 1/2) and Connor (11), will be there, with about 1 million candlewatt power. Love to have some company!

Say 8:00 p.m. at the suggested parking location on the cache page? Hope to see everyone there.

Robyn ;)

Hey Everyone!

Looks like Friday night is the night for the Forbidden Forest. All of Team Reid, including Cameron (15 1/2) and Connor (11), will be there, with about 1 million candlewatt power. Love to have some company!

Say 8:00 p.m. at the suggested parking location on the cache page? Hope to see everyone there.

Robyn ;)

Count me an the youngin in! I'm loadin' the shooters. Now if I can just keep Billy from eatin' the ammo!

Hey Everyone!

Robyn ;)

Count me an the youngin in! I'm loadin' the shooters. Now if I can just keep Billy from eatin' the ammo!

You can count me in too (tentatively, weeknights are tough)

Our shopping and preparing is all done so I'm hitting MTRP on my bike tomorrow morning if anyone wants to join me. I'm parking at the Mast Blvd. parking lot and I'd like to hit the trail by 8:30.

I need to get the three new caches by CTYankee9, Farther Then The Farthest Star (somehow I missed that one before) and Jutht Whithtle Otay?(the bees were buzzzzzing last time I was there).

I'm only planning about an 8 mile loop so it shouldn't take that long...even faster if the bees are chasing me. Join me if you can.

Hey Everyone!

Robyn ;)

We want to go! :) Sounds like fun. I think I could get Historia and Infinitee to come also! This is for Friday the 29th?

TA

Wed, Dec 27th, 0530, Ginger! and I are planning a hike to Corte Madera GC1F8B; and surrounding caches. Then if we're clear by 1400, we're heading over to PCT1 GCG8HG. Both are hit and miss as both Corral and Hauser Wilderness are closed due to the recent fires, but the hiking trailheads may be open. I will also be taking my Mtn bike for the two latest Lake Morena caches.

An off-road vehicle may be needed for Corte Madera; I have room for one as I can only fit two bikes in my truck and still have room for Ginger!.

Weather permitting, Ginger! and I are planning a cache run through In Ko Pah Mountain on Sunday, December 31st - depart Lakeside area by 0530.

Hope to be done by noon'ish to catch the Chargers' game.

The route is numbered from "00trl" to "25 HK89"; I can share the .gdb file. The drive to 00trl is about one hour from Lakeside.

I've got room for 1-3 fearless souls.

I'm in! 00trl at 0630?

I have room for another brave soul. Whimpering OK, but no screaming out loud -- it distracts the driver :laughing:

Wed, Dec 27th, 0530, Ginger! and I are planning a hike to Corte Madera GC1F8B; and surrounding caches. Then if we're clear by 1400, we're heading over to PCT1 GCG8HG. Both are hit and miss as both Corral and Hauser Wilderness are closed due to the recent fires, but the hiking trailheads may be open. I will also be taking my Mtn bike for the two latest Lake Morena caches.

An off-road vehicle may be needed for Corte Madera; I have room for one as I can only fit two bikes in my truck and still have room for Ginger!.

:D We are thinking about it. How much hiking do you think it is? I need a back-up cache to keep the streak going ( I noticed the caches you want to go for haven't been found in years!) :D We probably won't bring the mountain bikes though. Hope everyone had a great Christmas! :o

:o We are thinking about it. How much hiking do you think it is? I need a back-up cache to keep the streak going ( I noticed the caches you want to go for haven't been found in years!) :D We probably won't bring the mountain bikes though. Hope everyone had a great Christmas! :D

Corte Madera

Shortest possible route: 3 miles roundtrip; about 800ft total elevation gain.

Longest/suggested route: 6 miles roundtrip; about 1600ft total elevation gain.

PCT1

Shortest possible route: 4.5 miles roundtrip; about 1000ft total elevation gain.

Next possible route: 10 miles roundtrip; about 2000ft total elevation gain.

Longest /suggested route: 16 miles roundtrip; about 3700ft total elevation gain .

If my shorter routes are not doable on Wed, I'll return Th for the 16 miles.

RoaminJoe has okayed me replacing the PCT1 cache if I don't find it and he even offered it to me for adoption. I haven't made a decision on that yet. I will replace Corte Madera if I don't find it. I've emailed the JnglKats twice in the past six months and their email account appears to be MIA. I'm willing to adopt it but not sure whether to ask a reviewer to transfer it to me, or ask it be archived. I'm for the former.

The bike is for the Rocks Rocks Rocks cache (if the trail is open), and the two Kwver caches at the SW corner of the Morena reservoir.

May have to postpone Corte Madera.

"...THE BIGGEST IMPACT WILL BE THE STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS...WEST TO SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL INCREASE LATE TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY OVER THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS. WIND GUSTS BY MID MORNING WEDNESDAY COULD EXCEED 60 MPH...MAINLY ON THE DESERT SLOPES OF THE MOUNTAINS. WIND GUSTS ELSEWHERE IN SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA...INCLUDING THE COASTAL SECTIONS...ARE LIKELY TO BE AROUND 35 MPH..."

May have to postpone Corte Madera.

"...THE BIGGEST IMPACT WILL BE THE STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS...WEST TO SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL INCREASE LATE TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY OVER THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS. WIND GUSTS BY MID MORNING WEDNESDAY COULD EXCEED 60 MPH...MAINLY ON THE DESERT SLOPES OF THE MOUNTAINS. WIND GUSTS ELSEWHERE IN SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA...INCLUDING THE COASTAL SECTIONS...ARE LIKELY TO BE AROUND 35 MPH..."

:D Ya think?? :P I ride a broom stick, but not in 35 mph winds!!! jodi

:D We are thinking about it. How much hiking do you think it is? I need a back-up cache to keep the streak going ( I noticed the caches you want to go for haven't been found in years!) :P We probably won't bring the mountain bikes though. Hope everyone had a great Christmas! :D

Corte Madera

Shortest possible route: 3 miles roundtrip; about 800ft total elevation gain.

Longest/suggested route: 6 miles roundtrip; about 1600ft total elevation gain.

PCT1

Shortest possible route: 4.5 miles roundtrip; about 1000ft total elevation gain.

Next possible route: 10 miles roundtrip; about 2000ft total elevation gain.

Longest /suggested route: 16 miles roundtrip; about 3700ft total elevation gain .

If my shorter routes are not doable on Wed, I'll return Th for the 16 miles.

RoaminJoe has okayed me replacing the PCT1 cache if I don't find it and he even offered it to me for adoption. I haven't made a decision on that yet. I will replace Corte Madera if I don't find it. I've emailed the JnglKats twice in the past six months and their email account appears to be MIA. I'm willing to adopt it but not sure whether to ask a reviewer to transfer it to me, or ask it be archived. I'm for the former.

The bike is for the Rocks Rocks Rocks cache (if the trail is open), and the two Kwver caches at the SW corner of the Morena reservoir.

Just for th' record ... y'all gonna die for PCT1.

Make sure to read the Sandy Creek Cowboy FTF log entries. Truth is that we had a great time that day but came back whupped and with some really tired horses. Of course we road from Lake Morena and so crossed Hauser Canyon twice. As I recall it was a small tupper container. There's a photo posted with my log entry that might help in locating the hide if it still exists.

RoaminJoe was hiking the PCT in sections that year and contacted me to ask for a favor. I staged him with his hiking gear to one section of his PCT odyssey.

O yeah, don't forget to have fun.

Harmon

Hey Everyone!

Robyn :laughing:

We want to go! :D Sounds like fun. I think I could get Historia and Infinitee to come also! This is for Friday the 29th?

TA

Yeppers, the 29th. Sounds like we're gonna have some fun!!!! Just don't feed the kids dessert after dinner. Habu! and Team Reid will provide some small munchies for the trail. :D

Robyn

The weather killed caching today and tomorrow is not looking good either..... :)

Hopefully Friday will be better! :P

so no hike up Boden in the morning? :P It's just a little wind.... :P
I figured with muddy trails and 25-40 mph gusts in canyons tomorrow that Friday might be better. Plus nobody ever responded so also I figured that Friday might be a better day for that reason too. But nothing is in concrete...
The weather killed caching today and tomorrow is not looking good either..... :P

Hopefully Friday will be better! :)

:) It killed caching? I wonder where John is then. I haven't seen him since 0630 when he left with Chuy! and his GPS and new "bag" (he got rid of the Target shopping bag)!! :P:P
It was really windy and pouring rain up here most of the day. Those guys went out caching? Maybe they went to the desert or some place where the weather was better....I bet it was really hard for John to get rid of that Target bag.... :)
The weather killed caching today and tomorrow is not looking good either..... :P

Hopefully Friday will be better! :)

:P It killed caching? I wonder where John is then. I haven't seen him since 0630 when he left with Chuy! and his GPS and new "bag" (he got rid of the Target shopping bag)!! :P:)
It was really windy and pouring rain up here most of the day. Those guys went out caching? Maybe they went to the desert or some place where the weather was better....I bet it was really hard for John to get rid of that Target bag.... :D

Just talked with Chuy!, they're still going at it. He said they are up to about 40 caches on the day. Tsk, tsk, only 3.3 caches an hour. :)

The weather killed caching today and tomorrow is not looking good either..... :D

:) It killed caching? I wonder where John is then. I haven't seen him since 0630 when he left with Chuy! and his GPS and new "bag" (he got rid of the Target shopping bag)!! :P:P
It was really windy and pouring rain up here most of the day. Those guys went out caching? Maybe they went to the desert or some place where the weather was better....I bet it was really hard for John to get rid of that Target bag.... :D

All of the Geobabes were out caching today!!! We waited until it stopped raining and left around 9:30.

We dodged raindrops all day, but never got wet. The WIND :) ~ was another story, it actually pushed us up one big hill. We had a great time, I think we saw John's Target bag blow by! :)

Splashette

The weather killed caching today and tomorrow is not looking good either..... :D

:P It killed caching? I wonder where John is then. I haven't seen him since 0630 when he left with Chuy! and his GPS and new "bag" (he got rid of the Target shopping bag)!! :P:)
Just talked with Chuy!, they're still going at it. He said they are up to about 40 caches on the day. Tsk, tsk, only 3.3 caches an hour. :)
Wow 40 caches in the rain! John must be caching with his new Wal-Mart shopping "bag" on his head! :)

(I'm just kidding John :D )

Edited by TrailGators