San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

By 6p, I will have gotton everything in the area :P ~I'll be up for some night caching.Don't forget your FRS radios.
Speaking of FRS radios, what channel?
:)11.4 Eleven point four :D

My (actually my son's) Motorola T5320 has no sub-channels so use 11.0 if you want to call me.. :D

Edited by TrailGators
Here are some pictures from the CITO and Campout in Ocotillo Wells. :laughing:

Campout

CITO

TA

Nice photos TA! What's the max photo resolution and the max space Picassa gives you?

Its a cool thing.. 250mb to start, but I am sure it will increase as all google products do. Picasa is a great tool for simply organization. The upload function is also simple. Not sure the resolution; I will have to look at it.

TA

Here are some pictures from the CITO and Campout in Ocotillo Wells. :laughing:

Campout

CITO

TA

Nice photos TA! What's the max photo resolution and the max space Picassa gives you?

Its a cool thing.. 250mb to start, but I am sure it will increase as all google products do. Picasa is a great tool for simply organization. The upload function is also simple. Not sure the resolution; I will have to look at it.

TA

I'll have to check it out! I started using Imageshack. They give you unlimited uploads of photos up to 1.5M each. If you sign up and download their application, you can select a bunch of photos and right click to upload them all. They also give you the link code to use the photos in our threads or on your webpage, blog, etc.

What's the max photo resolution and the max space Picassa gives you?

This example taken from the link above is 384x512 pixels in size, basically a 5x7 print, but at 72 dpi suitable only for computer monitors. Reducing the dpi saves a lot of storage at the host site.

73e92ee1-43aa-4587-a858-5c031e0c4fdb.jpg

Photoshop CS2 Tip: Convert an image to a "Smart Object" using the Layer Pallet before reducing image size. That way no detail is lost when viewed at the exact reduced size.

Comment: It's a good bet that image detail is lost when a host site handles reductions. If detail is really important to you then find out what size the host site demands and handle Smart Object reductions yourself before uploading your images to the host site. You can automate the Smart Object reduction process with Photoshop, otherwise its a lot of trouble if done for each and every image.

On the other hand, who cares? Well you will if you want a high-quality print of an image taken from the host site. Worst case you can beg for a copy of the original shot.

Quizz: What does "resolution" really mean?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Check out this image on Imageshack. I can't post it here because Groundspeak lowers the size to <125k.

Nice, you get to click the image for original size but what about the dpi? Great shot at any rate.

The photo is 1600x1200. So dpi wouldn't the dpi depend on what size you make the photo? So if you made a 5x7 it would be 229dpi......

That is an awesome shot! :P I need better tires to do that in my jeep.

Check out this image on Imageshack. I can't post it here because Groundspeak lowers the size to <125k.

Nice, you get to click the image for original size but what about the dpi? Great shot at any rate.

The photo is 1600x1200. So dpi wouldn't the dpi depend on what size you make the photo? So if you made a 5x7 it would be 229dpi......

That is an awesome shot! :P I need better tires to do that in my jeep.

That spot is known as the "Launching Pad." The photo doesn't do it justice. It had a very high pucker factor! :P It is on the 3rd toughest trail in Moab. If you don't have lockers you should have those to do that trail! It would also be a good idea to have a winch and under-body armor too!

Here is what it really looked like:

7ece6346-b8a4-480f-8d9e-36b0409c8ef3.jpg

Edited by TrailGators
Thank you Jason for bringing us together.
Yeah thanks Jason! And thanks for making RocketMan, Toby's Gang and I feel old by doing the Basilisk without "a stinking rope." :unsure:

Hey! But your one of the few who can say I DID IT!! I always try to remember this..."there are no rules, no record books, just FUN!" Congrats!

PW

Aloha gang. Hope you don't mind me posting in this thread, but it seems to be the one that gets a lot of activity.

I'm going to be down in San Diego around 11/14, and then for a number of days in the January - March timeframe. I have business in the area around Marion Bear Park, but am interested in looking at all the parks in the general San Diego area.

My question: Do any of you use ExpertGPS and have calibrated maps for those parks so I can run some PQs and start looking at places I'd like to hike?

Email or PM me if you do.

Much appreciated!

Mahalo.

Aloha gang. Hope you don't mind me posting in this thread, but it seems to be the one that gets a lot of activity.

I'm going to be down in San Diego around 11/14, and then for a number of days in the January - March timeframe. I have business in the area around Marion Bear Park, but am interested in looking at all the parks in the general San Diego area.

My question: Do any of you use ExpertGPS and have calibrated maps for those parks so I can run some PQs and start looking at places I'd like to hike?

Much appreciated!

Mahalo.

If you go to "Marion Bear Park" make sure you back into your parking spot. :unsure:

Much appreciated!

Mahalo.

Here are San Diego's Concensus Favorites! :unsure:

If you go to "Marion Bear Park" make sure you back into your parking spot. :unsure:

Ok, I'll bite.....why? Is this the typical "rest stop reason" to back in??

It is a sign that you are looking for a romantic same sex rendevous. :ph34r:

And that park is one of the places where it is common. B)

Ok, I'll bite.....why? Is this the typical "rest stop reason" to back in??

It is a sign that you are looking for a romantic same sex rendevous. B)

And that park is one of the places where it is common. :huh:

You don't want to run into Ben Dover! :ph34r:

Yeah thanks Jason! And thanks for making RocketMan, Toby's Gang and I feel old by doing the Basilisk without "a stinking rope." :unsure:

Hey! But your one of the few who can say I DID IT!! I always try to remember this..."there are no rules, no record books, just FUN!" Congrats! PW

Thanks!

You're right! We did it!! Woo Hoo!!! :ph34r:

Nope, picture size and dpi are independently variable.

Image "resolution" actually indicates how large an image pixel is. Ain't that weird?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Hey! But your one of the few who can say I DID IT!! I always try to remember this..."there are no rules, no record books, just FUN!" Congrats! PW

Thanks!

You're right! We did it!! Woo Hoo!!! B)

I agree, we did it and I will always remember how much fun it was. My knee's are still sore from rubbbing the walls. :huh::ph34r:B)

We'er pondering our next trip back down to the desert. The kids are driving me nuts, "When are we going again?" "Huhh? Huhh? Huhh?"

Anybody have any plans to make more trips?

Paul and I were talking about maybe going to the Mud Caves on 11/4 for the day. I guess there is a pretty cool cache in that area! :unsure:

The "Mud Cave Cookie Tin"!

9f0e230f-63ac-4f4a-8513-dc6066a7ecc4.jpg

We'er pondering our next trip back down to the desert. The kids are driving me nuts, "When are we going again?" "Huhh? Huhh? Huhh?"

Paul and I were talking about maybe going to the Mud Caves on 11/4 for the day. I guess there is a pretty cool cache in that area! :unsure:

9f0e230f-63ac-4f4a-8513-dc6066a7ecc4.jpg

Ohhhh Paul......Are you bringing your kids along? ;)

I'm thinking of heading to that area on 11/4 myself to camp out that night. I'll watch the thread and zero in on the plan.

Honda Pilot made it in 2WD earlier this year with no problems.

M2

--pic snip--

Ohhhh Paul......Are you bringing your kids along? ;)

Don't know about the kids going, but I want to get out there again. :) The 4th is what we were thinking to head out. It takes about 2 hours to get our there for us. We could meet at the "Park and Call" park and ride cache near Lake Jennings like we did last time.

Paul

Edited by Team Adelos
I would like to go!

Sounds like fun! Maybe we could meet in Ramona around 8:30AM......Maybe at the McDonalds....

I am interested in going! But I will have to request a pass for the day. :P

:( What general area are you talking about? This isn't Duncan!'s wind caves is it? We all NEED to go there some time this winter. I promise you it is a hike you will not forget.

I would like to go!

Sounds like fun! Maybe we could meet in Ramona around 8:30AM......Maybe at the McDonalds....

I am interested in going! But I will have to request a pass for the day. :P

:( What general area are you talking about? This isn't Duncan!'s wind caves is it? We all NEED to go there some time this winter. I promise you it is a hike you will not forget.

Believe me...Duncan!s wind cave is nothing you want to mess with. :(

I would like to go!

I am interested in going! But I will have to request a pass for the day. :)

:P What general area are you talking about? This isn't Duncan!'s wind caves is it? We all NEED to go there some time this winter. I promise you it is a hike you will not forget.

Believe me...Duncan!s wind cave is nothing you want to mess with. :(

:P:( oops...tactical error on my part. I mean the geo-caches in the vicinity of the Domelands. We definitely have no need to enter Duncan!'s wind caves.

I would like to go!

Sounds like fun! Maybe we could meet in Ramona around 8:30AM......Maybe at the McDonalds....Lake Jennings is the wrong direction for those in North County....

We can have two groups: the sophisticated kool cachers from the south/east; and the smelly, beer-guzzling, bratty, hairy, boisterous cachers from the north. I should fit right in with the north. :P

I would like to go!

Sounds like fun! Maybe we could meet in Ramona around 8:30AM......Maybe at the McDonalds....Lake Jennings is the wrong direction for those in North County....

We can have two groups: the sophisticated kool cachers from the south/east; and the smelly, beer-guzzling, bratty, hairy, boisterous cachers from the north. I should fit right in with the north. :)

:(:P Bummer...I don't fit either category so it looks like I can't go!!! :P:( jodi

Edited by jahoadi and john
I would like to go!

We can have two groups: the sophisticated kool cachers from the south/east; and the smelly, beer-guzzling, bratty, hairy, boisterous cachers from the north. I should fit right in with the north. :blink:

:laughing::laughing: Bummer...I don't fit either category so it looks like I can't go!!! :laughing::laughing: jodi

Won't John fit in with the north though? Just bring him with you. :laughing:

Anyone doing any caching tomorrow or do I just work on some hikes near home?