San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Where: Otay Mountain Truck Trail (Updated)

When: September 23rd

Time: ~ 9:00am - 2:00pm

duganrm, myself and possibly DaMoores and Trailgators are driving the Otay Mountain Truck Trail this Saturday morning. We would like to have a minimum of 2 vehicles. The more people the merrier! :( Per previous advice from Chuy and others, it sounds as though the best starting place is off Marrow Valley Rd (south off SR94). We start by driving down to Stone Ruination #2--Valley of Hogs (GCRE9Z), and end up near Almost There! (GCT3CH) following the main truck trail with a couple detours.

We can park and meet in one of two places. Either at the Steele Bridge of Campo Rd (G/I # 6 Steele this Cache, GCHKMC) or at a Park and Ride off 94 & Calavo/Avocado Blvd. (Park & Cache, GCQJMD). Any preference or other suggestions?

If I did it right, it appears to be about a 20+ mile drive, off-road. 4x4 or 4x2 with higher clearance should be fine for this trip, per previous drivers. Here is a link to an ariel map of the trail:

http://members.cox.net/team.adelos/segami/...tTruckTrail.jpg

Where: Iron Mountain/Ellie Lane Loop Trail Head

When: September 21, 2006

Time: ~ 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm

finkbr, duganrm and I are planning to hit the Ellie Lane Loop on Thursday night. Please feel free to join us. Since I am probably the slowest hiker, there is no fear of being left behind. :D We are thinking around 5pm to start the hike. We may adjust the start time a little if it means getting a couple other cachers with us. Expect about 4 hours for the hike depending on diversions. Bring water and a light source for when it gets dark. I am told that there are several ups and downs in this loop that make the terrain a 3-3.5 difficulty.

We can meet at the parking area off Ellie Lane Loop. The coords are at: 32.98762, -116.97695

Provide feedback here if you are interested so we know who is coming. Hope to see you out there. :(

It appears to be about a 6+ mile hike as shown. Here is a link to the topo map of the trail:

http://members.cox.net/team.adelos/segami/EllieLaneLoop.jpg

Edited by Team Adelos

duganrm, myself and possibly DaMoores and Trailgators are driving the Otay Mountain Truck Trail this Saturday morning. We would like to have a minimum of 2 vehicles. The more people the merrier! :( Per previous advice from Chuy and others, it sounds as though the best starting place is off Marrow Valley Rd (south off SR94). We start by driving down to Stone Ruination #2--Valley of Hogs (GCRE9Z), and end up near Almost There! (GCT3CH) following the main truck trail with a couple detours.

We can park and meet in one of two places. Either at the Steele Bridge of Campo Rd (G/I # 6 Steele this Cache, GCHKMC) or at a Park and Ride off 94 & Calavo/Avocado Blvd. (Park & Cache, GCQJMD). Any preference or other suggestions?

If I did it right, it appears to be about a 20+ mile drive, off-road. 4x4 or 4x2 with higher clearance should be fine for this trip, per previous drivers. Here is a link to an ariel map of the trail:

I've been wanting to do these caches for the longest time, but neither of my vehicles are worthy for the trip. If Ruchard or Paul have room in their vehicles, I'd love to tag along.

finkbr, duganrm and I are planning to hit the Ellie Lane Loop on Thursday night. Please feel free to join us. Since I am probably the slowest hiker, there is no fear of being left behind. :D We are thinking around 5pm to start the hike. We may adjust the start time a little if it means getting a couple other cachers with us. Expect about 4 hours for the hike depending on diversions. Bring water and a light source for when it gets dark. I am told that there are several ups and downs in this loop that make the terrain a 3-3.5 difficulty.

Provide feedback here if you are interested so we know who is coming. Hope to see you out there. :(

TA

It appears to be about a 6+ mile hike as shown. Here is a link to the topo map of the trail:

..bump..

Count me in for this one - it's been way too many days of work and no caching. The Steel Bridge at 5pm works for me.

TA

5:00 PM? Don't you people have jobs!? :D

I was going to ask if the place they work is hiring......

I've been wanting to do these caches for the longest time, but neither of my vehicles are worthy for the trip. If Ruchard or Paul have room in their vehicles, I'd love to tag along.

There should be plenty of room.. :D

TA

..bump..

Count me in for this one - it's been way too many days of work and no caching. The Steel Bridge at 5pm works for me.

I updated the post to include the meeting place. Here it is for the Ellie Lane Loop:

We can meet at the parking area off Ellie Lane. The coords are at: 32.98762, -116.97695

TA

--snip--

5:00 PM? Don't you people have jobs!? :(

We could delay this some if it means getting more people.. There is no moon that night so it will be dark.

Edited by Team Adelos

--snip--

5:00 PM? Don't you people have jobs!? :blink:

We could delay this some if it means getting more people.. There is no moon that night so it will be dark.

I work until 5PM. But I could skip eating dinner and get there around 5:30PM. There are 7 caches that I need in that area (see map) not counting the new ones that Richard hid across the street. Were you guys planning on hiking out through that middle valley to pickup GCNFG3 and GCV36B? I think that way might would cut out about a mile out of the hike.

f84d1f9c-f7b7-4804-aa1a-baf36643ef97.jpg

--snip--

I work until 5PM. But I could skip eating dinner and get there around 5:30PM. There are 7 caches that I need in that area (see map) not counting the new ones that Richard hid across the street. Were you guys planning on hiking out through that middle valley to pickup GCNFG3 and GCV36B? I think that way might would cut out about a mile out of the hike.

--snip--

Does that middle (with the Brownies) go all the way through? If so, then yes, we can bypass the more southern route. I figured that start from Ellie Lane and go north around the top, eventually hitting Ramona, then backtrack a little to go through the middle and hit and grab the Brownie caches.

Which is easier, clockwise or counter-clockwise for Ellie Lane Loop? Starting at 5:30pm would not be a problem.

TA

--snip--

--snip--

Does that middle (with the Brownies) go all the way through? If so, then yes, we can bypass the more southern route. I figured that start from Ellie Lane and go north around the top, eventually hitting Ramona, then backtrack a little to go through the middle and hit and grab the Brownie caches.

Which is easier, clockwise or counter-clockwise for Ellie Lane Loop? Starting at 5:30pm would not be a problem.

TA

I think it is better to park at the lot on Ellie Lane. Plus I wouldn't want to leave my car on 67 at night. I've heard stories. Since we are going in a loop there is no difference in the verticals going clockwise or counter-clockwise. But I figured we'd come down and hit the Brownie caches in the dark. I think it does go through now.

Edited by TrailGators

--snip--

--snip--

TA

I think it is better to park at the lot on Ellie Lane. Plus I wouldn't want to leave my car on 67 at night. I've heard stories. Since we are going in a loop there is no difference in the verticals going clockwise or counter-clockwise. But I figured we'd come down and hit the Brownie caches in the dark. I think it does go through now.

Start at Ellie Lane and do the hike clockwise. The middle trail that passes Brownies works just fine for a shorter loop back along the ranch fence to Ellie Lane. You'll need to do some side trails to clear all the finds along that loop.

--snip--

5:00 PM? Don't you people have jobs!? :o

--snip--

TA

Start at Ellie Lane and do the hike clockwise. The middle trail that passes Brownies works just fine for a shorter loop back along the ranch fence to Ellie Lane. You'll need to do some side trails to clear all the finds along that loop.

Thanks Harmon, that's what I was thinking too. Anyhow, if you can guys can start later then I can go. I really need a day off from work, so I think I'm going to take this Friday off. That way I can be lazy and sleep in the next day. I haven't been doing a lot of hiking lately, so I was a little bit sore after our hiking on Saturday. THis never happens to the young guys. I have also gained some extra pounds from my inactivity, so I need to start doing more hikes like this again. Now I just need to think of what I can bring to eat for my dinner on the trail. Is there a McDonald's near any of those caches? :blink:

Thanks Harmon, that's what I was thinking too. Anyhow, if you can guys can start later then I can go. I really need a day off from work, so I think I'm going to take this Friday off. That way I can be lazy and sleep in the next day. I haven't been doing a lot of hiking lately, so I was a little bit sore after our hiking on Saturday. THis never happens to the young guys. I have also gained some extra pounds from my inactivity, so I need to start doing more hikes like this again. Now I just need to think of what I can bring to eat for my dinner on the trail. Is there a McDonald's near any of those caches? :blink:

We can start later.. you mentioned 5:30pm, is that still good? Thanks Harmon for the input.

TA

--snip--

5:00 PM? Don't you people have jobs!? :o

--snip--

TA

Dinner for seesies.

854f56d4-4406-48b2-a4f6-ed5810521a04.jpg

--snip--

--snip--

TA

Thanks Harmon, that's what I was thinking too. Anyhow, if you can guys can start later then I can go. I really need a day off from work, so I think I'm going to take this Friday off. That way I can be lazy and sleep in the next day. I haven't been doing a lot of hiking lately, so I was a little bit sore after our hiking on Saturday. THis never happens to the young guys. I have also gained some extra pounds from my inactivity, so I need to start doing more hikes like this again. Now I just need to think of what I can bring to eat for my dinner on the trail. Is there a McDonald's near any of those caches? :o

Not sure about a McD's on the trail, but there has to be a Starbucks - there putting one up everywhere lately...

i can bring ya a Power Bar and a bottle if Gatorade :):D

--snip--

5:00 PM? Don't you people have jobs!? :D

--snip--

TA

Not sure about a McD's on the trail, but there has to be a Starbucks - there putting one up everywhere lately...

i can bring ya a Power Bar and a bottle if Gatorade B):D

DON"T give him a Gatorade. Something in a paper cup please. :D:o:)

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Where: Iron Mountain/Ellie Lane Loop Trail Head (UPDATED 9/20/06)

Parking: Dirt lot off Ellie Lane @ 32.98762, -116.97695

-

Overall Terrain: 3-3.5 Difficulty

Estimated Time: 4 hours

-

When: Thursday, September 21, 2006

Time: ~ 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm

So far we have the following hikers planning to make it:

team adelos

duganrm

trailgators

finkbr

redstar

Please feel free to join us. Since I am probably the slowest hiker, there is no fear of being left behind. We are thinking around ~5:30pm to start the hike. Expect ~4 hours for the hike depending on diversions. Bring water and a light source for when it gets dark. I am told that there are several ups and downs in this loop so be prepared.

Provide feedback here if you are interested so we know who is coming. Hope to see you out there.

Here is a link to the topo map of the trail:

Although the link EllieLaneLoop.jpg shows doing a large loop, we will probably cut through the center instead. I did not realize that it went through all the way at the time.

TA

The trail past Brownies on the Move connects up to where Table Rock with a View is. I believe they were working on another trail heading to Both Sides Now but am unsure where it connects or if it has been completed (been a few months since I have been up there though).

Also, just for some random info. The trail past Brownies is a longer sloping trail up whereas the trail up at TCH memorial goes up pretty quick with switchbacks.

I also seem to remember there being a small trail heading north up a hill at Both Sides Now but there are no caches up there... yet... I may wander off for a little bit. :(

The trail past Brownies on the Move connects up to where Table Rock with a View is. I believe they were working on another trail heading to Both Sides Now but am unsure where it connects or if it has been completed (been a few months since I have been up there though).

Also, just for some random info. The trail past Brownies is a longer sloping trail up whereas the trail up at TCH memorial goes up pretty quick with switchbacks.

I also seem to remember there being a small trail heading north up a hill at Both Sides Now but there are no caches up there... yet... I may wander off for a little bit. :(

Looking forward to the walk, and pause, and walk.. :(

Looking forward to the walk, and pause, and walk.. :(

I'm looking forward to stopping at the Starbucks that RedStar said 'had' to be up there! :)

-

-

team adelos

duganrm

trailgators

finkbr

redstar

Please feel free to join us. Since I am probably the slowest hiker, there is no fear of being left behind. We are thinking around ~5:30pm to start the hike. Expect ~4 hours for the hike depending on diversions. Bring water and a light source for when it gets dark. I am told that there are several ups and downs in this loop so be prepared.

Provide feedback here if you are interested so we know who is coming. Hope to see you out there.

Although the link EllieLaneLoop.jpg shows doing a large loop, we will probably cut through the center instead. I did not realize that it went through all the way at the time.

TA

I'm in for the walk as well. See ya there!

-

-

team adelos

duganrm

trailgators

finkbr

redstar

TA

I'm in for the walk as well. See ya there!

Glad to have you. I guess I'll get to find out how you pronounce your caching name! :anitongue:

Edited by TrailGators

Sunday trip to Irvine area for the Bike n Cache Trail...

Bike n Cache Trail

There are alot of caches in the general area and will make some good training for those of you that are planning the Rosarito to Ensenada bike ride - Chuy!, johoadi and john, "lostguy"

Start time is maybe leaving at 5 am on Sunday morning, but I'm sure we casn adjust accordingly.

Duncan! and I are planning to do it in October...during the week...trying to get Chuy! to go with and make it an overnighter.

Edited by GoBolts!

Bike n Cache Trail

There are alot of caches in the general area and will make some good training for those of you that are planning the Rosarito to Ensenada bike ride - Chuy!, johoadi and john, "lostguy"

Start time is maybe leaving at 5 am on Sunday morning, but I'm sure we casn adjust accordingly.

Duncan! and I are planning to do it in October...during the week...trying to get Chuy! to go with and make it an overnighter.

I think your idea sounds better Dave - I may just wait then

Bike n Cache Trail

That's a nice caching trail. A group of us did a day trip up to those a few months ago. At that time there were 36 caches in that series. We parked cars at both ends and walked the trail east to west. I think it was about 5-6 miles but it was an easy walk.

Edited by TrailGators

Bike n Cache Trail

That's a nice caching trail. A group of us did a day trip up to those a few months ago. At that time there were 36 caches in that series. We parked cars at both ends and walked the trail east to west. I think it was about 5-6 miles but it was an easy walk.

That sounds very fun mabye I can go. Is it Mountain bikes sreet bikes or both? Do we meet there at the the place at 5 AM?

Edited by Austin Q.

duganrm, myself and possibly DaMoores and Trailgators are driving the Otay Mountain Truck Trail this Saturday morning. We would like to have a minimum of 2 vehicles. The more people the merrier! :D Per previous advice from Chuy and others, it sounds as though the best starting place is off Marrow Valley Rd (south off SR94). We start by driving down to Stone Ruination #2--Valley of Hogs (GCRE9Z), and end up near Almost There! (GCT3CH) following the main truck trail with a couple detours.

Dang, I work saturdays. B)B)B)

Bike n Cache Trail

That sounds very fun mabye I can go. Is it Mountain bikes sreet bikes or both? Do we meet there at the the place at 5 AM?

This is a great series. I haven't done the whole thing yet but I have done some sections. Mtn. bikes, street bikes, unicycles, anything will do. There can be a lot of walkers and joggers (muggles) too so you have to watch out for them. I have a family thing to do otherwise I'd join you too.

Where: Otay Mountain Truck Trail (Updated 9/22/06)

Time: 9:00am - ~2:00pm

Meeting at: 32.739056, -116.94117 near GCQB76 - Drats! This game is addicting!

We'll meet at the above coordinates to caravan to the Otay Mountain Truck Trail. Bring a camera. The views are suppose to be awesome! The first cache will likely be Stone Ruination #2--Valley of Hogs (GCRE9Z).

See you there!!

TA

Edited by Team Adelos

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

--snip--

Completed! :huh:

This hike actually took about 5 hours, not four. Although if I was not 'speed challenged', the group would have made the 4 hour mark. We had about a 1745ft elevation climb doing the Ellie Lane Loop and the track was about 6.25 miles. Had a great time with everyone! Thanks for the hike.. Any ideas for next Thursday?

By the way, is there anywhere in the forums where trail/hike stats can be found? If not, woudn't it be cool to find a track, look it up and see the general stats would be? ie: I pull up the Ellie Lane Loop, see a satelite picture with trail, see elevation of the general hike with miles, etc...

TA

Edited by Team Adelos

--snip--

Completed! :(

This hike actually took about 5 hours, not four. Although if I was not 'speed challenged', the group would have made the 4 hour mark. We had about a 1745ft elevation climb doing the Ellie Lane Loop and the track was about 6.25 miles. Had a great time with everyone! Thanks for the hike.. Any ideas for next Thursday?

By the way, is there anywhere in the forums where trail/hike stats can be found? If not, woudn't it be cool to find a track, look it up and see the general stats would be? ie: I pull up the Ellie Lane Loop, see a satelite picture with trail, see elevation of the general hike with miles, etc...

TA

It was fun Paul, thanks for planning it! I delayed the hike for a good 15-20 minutes because I had to hike back up that one hill to get my hiking stick that I left behind. I hate when that happens! :huh:

Does anyone know how long it takes to complete Mt. Woodson?TA

depends on which way you plan to go. I have done the peak and back via the paved road in under an hour.....

That's fast! Isn't it about 4 miles (roundtrip) and 1400 feet of vertical from that side? The approach from Lake Poway is ~8 miles roundtrip and ~2400 feet of vertical.

depends on which way you plan to go. I have done the peak and back via the paved road in under an hour.....

That's fast! Isn't it about 4 miles (roundtrip) and 1400 feet of vertical from that side? The approach from Lake Poway is ~8 miles roundtrip and ~2400 feet of vertical.

4 miles looks more appealing to me. :lol:

Do you need the Wisconsin Cheese cache? :lol:

Do you need the Wisconsin Cheese cache? :lol:

Is there a loop that goes all around and a seperate one that goes up?

There are 3 trails that go in from 67 (one over the peak and then the ones on either side of the mountain). They all meet at the backside of the mountain. You can pick 2 of them and make a loop out of them. If the plan is to do it at sunset, my suggestion, would be to come back over the peak and down the paved road from whichever side trail you pick (probably want to pick the one on the east for elevation reasons though). Whichever trail you don't do initially can be done with 2 cars by going from 67 to Lake Poway.

There are 3 trails that go in from 67 (one over the peak and then the ones on either side of the mountain). They all meet at the backside of the mountain. You can pick 2 of them and make a loop out of them. If the plan is to do it at sunset, my suggestion, would be to come back over the peak and down the paved road from whichever side trail you pick (probably want to pick the one on the east for elevation reasons though). Whichever trail you don't do initially can be done with 2 cars by going from 67 to Lake Poway.

You could get them all done in the same day if you hiked all the way around the mountain and then hiked up to the top and down. I need those 7 new caches DRM put on the south side of Woodson.

Edited by TrailGators

You could get them all done in the same day if you hiked all the way around the mountain and then hiked up to the top and down. I need those 7 new caches DRM put on the south side of Woodson.

How long for the whole mountain? It does not sounds like a night hike. :)

:antenna:

As Trailgators said, I wouldn't do both trails the same night. I have been out on the majority of those trails at night and they are not a problem as a night hike. My recommendation would be to take the trail on the north side of the mountain before sunset and then come back over the mountain after dark.

My main reason for recommending this is because you walk behind houses on the north trail and you probably don't want to hit this area after dark......

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/b642f99f-53b2-4511-a78f-60c8e2734003.jpg' alt='b642f99f-53b2-4511-a78f-60c8e2734003.jpg'>

Some people say it is poison oak, some say it is not.... Nobody has complained about getting it after finding the cache but do you want to be the first to find out? :antenna:

Anyone interested in heading back into MTRP above highway 52? Thinking of Friday night 6pm start out of campground parking. Saturday?

Would love to, but my weekends are occupied for now.

However, I'm planning on taking a day off next Wednesday 10/4 and head up that way.

Start: Morning and be gone all day.

Anybody interested????

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Where: Woodson Mountain - North Trail/Top Trail

When: September 28th, 2006 - Thursday

Time: ~ 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm / 4 Hours

Terrain: 3-3.5

Parking: ?

Where is the best place to hike for this one? I believe duganrm has suggested starting on the east side taking the north trial around to the back-side of the mountain, then taking the trail from the backside over the top back to where we started. I have never hiked it, so any advise is welcome. Anyone interested is welcome to join duganrm and I. I think I have duganrm's participation.. :mad:

Bring water and lighting for when it gets dark. And remember, I am not the fastest cacher out there, so no one gets left behind! :D

Anyone interested?

Where: Woodson Mountain - North Trail/Top Trail

When: September 28th, 2006 - Thursday

Time: ~ 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm / 4 Hours

Terrain: 3-3.5

Parking: ?

Where is the best place to hike for this one? I believe duganrm has suggested starting on the east side taking the north trial around to the back-side of the mountain, then taking the trail from the backside over the top back to where we started. I have never hiked it, so any advise is welcome. Anyone interested is welcome to join duganrm and I. I think I have duganrm's participation.. :D

Bring water and lighting for when it gets dark. And remember, I am not the fastest cacher out there, so no one gets left behind! :D

Anyone interested?

Parking is ACROSS the street from the "Parking for Woodywoodpecker" (GCNHRY) cache. I would not recommend trying to cross 67 on foot during rush hour.