San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Caching road/off road trip on Otay Mountain Truck Trail?

I was hoping to go early on either Saturday morning on the 9th, or the 23rd. I have not been on it before, but it looks like I can start near 'Almost There!' and go all the way to a couple of the Stone Ruination caches and others off road along the way. :tired: I looks like I (4x4 newbie) can make it, no problems.. Anyone interested? I thought we can get a couple vehicles to convoy through it. I imagine it would take most of the day.. sounds like fun if we can beat the heat.. You should not be on the path at night time.

TA

Dont forget the three events this weekend....

For He's a...

...Jolly Good...

...Fellow!

Toby and Liz and packing like crazy and will only be able to attend one of the three nights.

Toby will try to pop in for a beer the other two nights....depending on how much stuff he still has on his plate!

At this time he does not know what night....however comma...come out and have a beer in his honor.

Edited by GoBolts!

I was hoping to go early on either Saturday morning on the 9th, or the 23rd. I have not been on it before, but it looks like I can start near 'Almost There!' and go all the way to a couple of the Stone Ruination caches and others off road along the way. :unsure: I looks like I (4x4 newbie) can make it, no problems.. Anyone interested? I thought we can get a couple vehicles to convoy through it. I imagine it would take most of the day.. sounds like fun if we can beat the heat.. You should not be on the path at night time.

TA

I think we could make it.

Need to get the Jeep out.

I was hoping to go early on either Saturday morning on the 9th, or the 23rd. I have not been on it before, but it looks like I can start near 'Almost There!' and go all the way to a couple of the Stone Ruination caches and others off road along the way. :blink: I looks like I (4x4 newbie) can make it, no problems.. Anyone interested? I thought we can get a couple vehicles to convoy through it. I imagine it would take most of the day.. sounds like fun if we can beat the heat.. You should not be on the path at night time.

TA

Cool.. I am sure we can get a couple others also. It looks like the 23rd may be better because I heard the others may do the Black Beard's Grotto!! :unsure: There is suppose to be low tide on Saturday from what I was told.. If not, it looks as though DaMoores and I and hopefully some others are going to drive the Otay Mountain Truck Trail. :blink:

TA

Edited by Team Adelos

I was hoping to go early on either Saturday morning on the 9th, or the 23rd. I have not been on it before, but it looks like I can start near 'Almost There!' and go all the way to a couple of the Stone Ruination caches and others off road along the way. :D I looks like I (4x4 newbie) can make it, no problems.. Anyone interested? I thought we can get a couple vehicles to convoy through it. I imagine it would take most of the day.. sounds like fun if we can beat the heat.. You should not be on the path at night time.

TA

Cool.. I am sure we can get a couple others also. It looks like the 23rd may be better because I heard the others may do the Black Beard's Grotto!! :D There is suppose to be low tide on Saturday from what I was told.. If not, it looks as though DaMoores and I and hopefully some others are going to drive the Otay Mountain Truck Trail. :D

TA

Has anyone set up a time and a meeting place for Black Beard's Grotto yet?

I was hoping to go early on either Saturday morning on the 9th, or the 23rd. I have not been on it before, but it looks like I can start near 'Almost There!' and go all the way to a couple of the Stone Ruination caches and others off road along the way. :D I looks like I (4x4 newbie) can make it, no problems.. Anyone interested? I thought we can get a couple vehicles to convoy through it. I imagine it would take most of the day.. sounds like fun if we can beat the heat.. You should not be on the path at night time.

TA

I think we were shooting for 4PM at WP1 on Saturday.

Cool.. I am sure we can get a couple others also. It looks like the 23rd may be better because I heard the others may do the Black Beard's Grotto!! :D There is suppose to be low tide on Saturday from what I was told.. If not, it looks as though DaMoores and I and hopefully some others are going to drive the Otay Mountain Truck Trail. :D

TA

Edit: Not sure what happened with that post but the plan would be to meet at WP1 at 4PM tomorrow.

Edited by TrailGators

TA

I think we were shooting for 4PM at WP1 on Saturday.

TA

bolded some info hidden in there. :D Plan is to do Blackbeard's and then head for the event.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Where: Otay Mountain Truck Trail

When: September 23rd

Time: TBD (somewhere between 8/9 perhaps)

I imaging this will take a few hours do to the distance for the trail and all the caches. :D I have not been up there, path/trail advice is welcomed. East side starts near View of SR 94. This will likely by also the meeting place. The other side far away is Almost There!. The more the merrier! I may even drop a container or two. :D

I am taking the Jeep, so if both my kids go, we have room for one up front. DaMoores, will you be able to go also on the 23rd? It should be cooler and the views will be awesome, so bring a camera!

TA

The Grotto sounds good.. it is a rare oppotunity to grab that up that one. :D Count me in. What time? I will cache earlier around the area if it is later in the day.

TA

Low tide is at 5pm so we plan to start for the Grotto at 4pm so as to do it as the tide is going out (and to make it to the event afterwords).

What time and where do you want to cache earlier? I have done a few in that area but there are still more I need. :D

The Grotto sounds good.. it is a rare oppotunity to grab that up that one. :D Count me in. What time? I will cache earlier around the area if it is later in the day.

TA

Low tide is at 5pm so we plan to start for the Grotto at 4pm so as to do it as the tide is going out (and to make it to the event afterwords).

What time and where do you want to cache earlier? I have done a few in that area but there are still more I need. :D

Not too sure.. I can go anywhere to get caches.. If the Grotto effort starts later around 4pm, then that leaves plenty of time to cache.. How early do you want to get out of bed? Anyone else is welcomed to join us, of course. 9am too early for you peoples?

TA

I imaging this will take a few hours do to the distance for the trail and all the caches. :D I have not been up there, path/trail advice is welcomed. East side starts near View of SR 94. This will likely by also the meeting place. The other side far away is Almost There!. The more the merrier! I may even drop a container or two. :D

I am taking the Jeep, so if both my kids go, we have room for one up front. DaMoores, will you be able to go also on the 23rd? It should be cooler and the views will be awesome, so bring a camera!

TA

It is possible to get to Otay Mtn Truck Trl via View of SR94, but you really gotta study those aerial maps to take the right turns, and from what I hear, it's quite an offroad challenge.

For the light-hearted, start off Marrow Valley Rd (south off SR94). A low clearance vehicle can make it via this route. The turnoff to Otay Mtn Truck trl is at the Mossy Oak cache. But, there are two caches (maybe three) further south that are worth visiting if you have time.

TA

It is possible to get to Otay Mtn Truck Trl via View of SR94, but you really gotta study those aerial maps to take the right turns, and from what I hear, it's quite an off-road challenge.

For the light-hearted, start off Marrow Valley Rd (south off SR94). A low clearance vehicle can make it via this route. The turnoff to Otay Mtn Truck trl is at the Mossy Oak cache. But, there are two caches (maybe three) further south that are worth visiting if you have time.

Light Hearted sounds good to me. Thanks for the info. I see a ?road? access from 94 just north-west of that cache. After I get home from the event tonight, I will try to 'route' a path to get input from you and others. We want to enjoy the path taken and the views more than worry about making it through what could be a bad area. I am really looking forward to it. The path you suggest appears to start near 'Still Standing IV', is that correct?

Could we also start at BRB, hit View of SR94, then go for Dangling Balls? (I hope I never say that again!) From there, it looks like we can turn around and go south to hookup to the Otay Mt Truck Trail. This path would hit a few caches, but looks rocky.

There also appears to be three caches down south side off Marrow Valley Road, then we could back track to the fork and hop on Otay Mt Truck Trail like you suggested, then hop off-road for some of the 'Stone Ruination' caches.. Lots of choices.. I hope to find one that gets most of them. :D

It looks like it is vehicle safe/4x4.. I will map a couple routes to be options.. I have no perception of how long it will take to drive, hike, cache, etc.

TA

Edited by Team Adelos

TA

It is possible to get to Otay Mtn Truck Trl via View of SR94, but you really gotta study those aerial maps to take the right turns, and from what I hear, it's quite an off-road challenge.

Light Hearted sounds good to me. Thanks for the info. I see a ?road? access from 94 just north-west of that cache. After I get home from the event tonight, I will try to 'route' a path to get input from you and others. We want to enjoy the path taken and the views more than worry about making it through what could be a bad area. I am really looking forward to it. The path you suggest appears to start near 'Still Standing IV', is that correct?

Could we also start at BRB, hit View of SR94, then go for Dangling Balls? (I hope I never say that again!) From there, it looks like we can turn around and go south to hookup to the Otay Mt Truck Trail. This path would hit a few caches, but looks rocky.

There also appears to be three caches down south side off Marrow Valley Road, then we could back track to the fork and hop on Otay Mt Truck Trail like you suggested, then hop off-road for some of the 'Stone Ruination' caches.. Lots of choices.. I hope to find one that gets most of them. :D

It looks like it is vehicle safe/4x4.. I will map a couple routes to be options.. I have no perception of how long it will take to drive, hike, cache, etc.

TA

The last time that me, SKILLET, Jahoadi and John, Chuy, and Lost Guy went the gate to BRB and to View of SR 94 was locked. We have gone both ways and I liked starting from Marrow Valley Rd best. Just be careful when you get there, and be on the lookout for snakes. Have fun and enjoy the views.

TA

As for Dangling Balls, the gate to that one was posted 'Official Vehicles Only' when we went by a couple of weeks ago on our way up Otay Mtn. Not a good idea to try and get there from View of SR94, and BRB.

BRB is right off the hwy, but again there was that pesky sign, but you could park on the shoulder somewhere and walk over to it. (not much shoulder ,tho).

As for Otay, it's a great dirt road, I could take my daughers' Beemer up there, (if she had one).

Have fun, lots of caches to find!

The Splashes :D:D

TA

TA

TA

Did this back in July coming from the west and again a few weeks ago from the East. Listen to Chuy. :D skip BRB and the view, Dangling balls. The last three times by there the Gate was locked. :D Go the way of Still standing ( it was achieved) do the ones south of the turn off to Otay TT and back track ask jahoadi and john about the hill for The stone ruination that is archived, you do not want to go that way unless you are a really good off road driver. :D The Otay Tr Trail it self is a good road, Chuy did it with his two wheel drive truck no problem. :D

WWII Bunkers Watch for snakes. we saw a good size one at GZ. Lostguy made the grab and then we heard the snake. :DWe did not put the Cache back in the same spot, Close though :D

Have fun and place some new ones so I have an excuse to make the trip again :D:D

The turnoff from SR94 to Marrow Valley Rd is N32 37.888 W116 45.849; it is marked.

The gate at N32 39.286 W116 48.424 will get you into Dangling Balls, High Voltage Fun, View of SR94, etc...

If you head over to Not a Lightskirt in Sight and Oaks in the Sycamore, you'll be close to the 4X4 trail that'll get you to Otay Mtn Truck trail. I've never gone on it, so, I can't remark on it. I tried coming down from the caches up there once, but no way my 2-wheel drive truck could make it.

Re MTRP. Jahoadi and John and I talked about a trip to Cowles Mtn on Sunday morning if 3cds is unable to join us for Green Ribbons to Bell Bluff, and Bell Bluff - Alpine's Mini-El Capitan, a 7-mile hike SE of Alpine. But we will start at 0530'ish.

Anybody interested in going to MTRP this weekend?

I was planning on doing Kwaay Paay and surrounding area with starting point from ABOVE OLD MISSION DAM suggested parking.

Sunday at 9 am :D

Wish I could go back up with you in the a.m., but I am back on night shift. Actually was thinking of making the trip soon to rescue my BikeDog #2 coin, but if you are going, can you please stop by Travelita's, On Call #1 and move it on? The cache was archived for awhile but now it seems to be active again, but not sure for how long. I would appreciate it a great deal. :D Thanks!

BTW PB, got a note to send to you about Atlantis...:D

won't be at a computer today to answer anymore questions so if anyone else wants to come, just show up at N 32 51.120 W 117 15.644 at 4pm.

Change of plans for me today so I wont be able to make it to BBG. Have fun everyone!!

3cds are in for the Alpine hike. Will meet at Steele Bridge off Campo Rd at 0530 if anyone wants to join us.

The caches are Green Ribbons to Bell Bluff; and Bell Bluff - Alpine's Mini-El Capitan, about an 8-mile hike with 1700 feet of elevation climb.

Meet at I8-Lake Jennings Park n Ride.

Edited by Chuy!
3cds are in for the Alpine hike. Will meet at Steele Bridge off Campo Rd at 0530 if anyone wants to join us.

The caches are Green Ribbons to Bell Bluff; and Bell Bluff - Alpine's Mini-El Capitan, about an 8-mile hike with 1700 feet of elevation climb.

Meet at I8-Lake Jennings Park n Ride.

:P:ph34r: Gee...I thought Chuy! was our limo service for a few minutes. :ph34r: See ya bright and early!!

We tried BBG last month. We tried on a -4 inch tide and turned back. Water was around our knees. Tomarrow is going to be 0 tide at 6pm. Just FYI.

we are head'n back around October when it may be about a -1.5ft tide.

Good luck.

It only really got up to our ankles today (aside from some unlucky ones :ph34r:). Let me know when you end up going in October. I believe Rogue would like to go.

Last week's SDCET talked about continuing our tour southward of the cooler coast on Saturday. We left off at Del Mar last week. We could meet at the P&R at 56&5 at 9AM.....

Edit: If everyone is busy then I'll stay home and do some yard work that I've been blowing off. :laughing:

yard work is bad. caching is good.

Last week's SDCET talked about continuing our tour southward of the cooler coast on Saturday. We left off at Del Mar last week. We could meet at the P&R at 56&5 at 9AM.....

Edit: If everyone is busy then I'll stay home and do some yard work that I've been blowing off. :laughing:

I have yard work also, but it looks like rain.. weird. The kids and I are up for going cachin' I need to get out. It has been too long a week. We are interested in possibly going.. will no later tonight. What are the coords for the parking? I will get lost without them.

TA

I have yard work also, but it looks like rain.. weird. The kids and I are up for going cachin' I need to get out. It has been too long a week. We are interested in possibly going.. will no later tonight. What are the coords for the parking? I will get lost without them.

TA

N32 55.850 W117 14.500......Let me know. :laughing:

Edited by TrailGators

TA

We will be there.. 9am. Check!

TA

OK. I'll blow off the yard work! :unsure:

Edit: If everyone is busy then I'll stay home and do some yard work that I've been blowing off. :unsure:

TA

N32 55.850 W117 14.500......Let me know. :ph34r:

OK. I'll blow off the yard work! :laughing:
Hey, what happened to the map you posted? Are you planning to head north from the P&R? Any idea what cache(s) you might hit first? :unsure:

on edit: (or south, and that's why you removed the map :laughing: )

Edited by TFTC

anyone interested in hiking from jackson drive up through the mtrp valley and over and across Fortuna and back out on Saturday night?

the adrenaline cache is one of the caches on the agenda

I may be able to make this, was planning on some night caching down low in MTRP since I have the night off, I will have to cover off with the cache widow. Will be in touch...

Hey, what happened to the map you posted? Are you planning to head north from the P&R? Any idea what cache(s) you might hit first? <_<

Here is a map. We will start with the far north multi.

54a911a2-6ab3-497c-8e86-136d98b82476.jpg

I'll try to hook up with you after you've done the first three in & around the San Elijo Lagoon.
Hey, what happened to the map you posted? Are you planning to head north from the P&R? Any idea what cache(s) you might hit first? :laughing:

Here is a map. We will start with the far north multi.

54a911a2-6ab3-497c-8e86-136d98b82476.jpg

I'll try to hook up with you after you've done the first three in & around the San Elijo Lagoon.

i just found this forum mabye sometime I can cache with the experts.

Hey, what happened to the map you posted? Are you planning to head north from the P&R? Any idea what cache(s) you might hit first? :laughing:
We will start with the far north multi.
I just found this forum, mabye sometime I can cache with the experts.
We aren't experts, we just enjoy caching! :blink: Next week a group is doing some offroad (easy) caches way down south. I'm not sure if I can make it yet. I'm sure TA will be posting a map and some details about that one in the near future.
We will start with the far north multi.
I just found this forum, mabye sometime I can cache with the experts.
We aren't experts, we just enjoy caching! :blink: Next week a group is doing some offroad (easy) caches way down south. I'm not sure if I can make it yet. I'm sure TA will be posting a map and some details about that one in the near future.

I got to get on that.. I will try to map what I have in mind and the others that have been there before can provide input of how realistic it is. I will try to have that up tonight. Anyone have tracks from the last time they hit the Otay caches?

TA

I got to get on that.. I will try to map what I have in mind and the others that have been there before can provide input of how realistic it is. I will try to have that up tonight. Anyone have tracks from the last time they hit the Otay caches?

TA

If there's a place you don't need tracks, its down the Otay Mtn Truck Trail. Everthing is off the main road. Only a few require some hiking, none more that WWII Bunkers, about 600 feet.

Where: Iron Mountain/Ellie Lane Loop Trail Head

When: September 21, 2006

Time: ~ 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm

finkbr, duganrm and I are planning to hit the Ellie Lane Loop on Thursday night. Please feel free to join us. Since I am probably the slowest hiker, there is no fear of being left behind. :laughing: We are thinking around 5pm to start the hike. We may adjust the start time a little if it means getting a couple other cachers with us. Expect about 4 hours for the hike depending on diversions. Bring water and a light source for when it gets dark. I am told that there are several ups and downs in this loop that make the terrain a 3-3.5 difficulty.

Provide feedback here if you are interested so we know who is coming. Hope to see you out there. :rolleyes:

TA

finkbr, duganrm and I are planning to hit the Ellie Lane Loop on Thursday night. Please feel free to join us. Since I am probably the slowest hiker, there is no fear of being left behind. :laughing: We are thinking around 5pm to start the hike. We may adjust the start time a little if it means getting a couple other cachers with us. Expect about 4 hours for the hike depending on diversions. Bring water and a light source for when it gets dark. I am told that there are several ups and downs in this loop that make the terrain a 3-3.5 difficulty.

Provide feedback here if you are interested so we know who is coming. Hope to see you out there. :rolleyes:

TA

5:00 PM? Don't you people have jobs!? :mellow:

finkbr, duganrm and I are planning to hit the Ellie Lane Loop on Thursday night. Please feel free to join us. Since I am probably the slowest hiker, there is no fear of being left behind. :D We are thinking around 5pm to start the hike. We may adjust the start time a little if it means getting a couple other cachers with us. Expect about 4 hours for the hike depending on diversions. Bring water and a light source for when it gets dark. I am told that there are several ups and downs in this loop that make the terrain a 3-3.5 difficulty.

Provide feedback here if you are interested so we know who is coming. Hope to see you out there. :(

TA

It appears to be about a 6+ mile hike as shown. Here is a link to the topo map of the trail:

http://members.cox.net/team.adelos/segami/EllieLaneLoop.jpg

Edited by Team Adelos