San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Okay . . . does anyone want to just hike the first part of the trail and turn back . . . or are all of you hard core? :o

I might still join you for the very beginning of the hike and turn back while it is still light if I have to hike back by myself . . . but I would like some company for the return hike . . . :rolleyes:

Team Adelos? DaMoores? finkbr? duganrm? Anybody . . . :o

If my back gets better I'd rather just do the second part of the hike! :o

I may be able to.. I am trying rearrange some things. It also is twice as far and twice as high than I have gone prior. :rolleyes:

TA

Edited by Team Adelos

I don't think I can physically walk more than eight or nine miles . . . total. And that depends on the steepness of the trail.

I've loaded my GPSr with the caches for that area. I have to go into town to run some errands anyway, so I'll just meet everyone at the trailhead and go as far as I can.

It will be fun and it should be a beautiful evening with that big moon in the sky overhead. :rolleyes:

Just to bring it back to this page...Is this still the plan?

El Cajon Mtn hike is still a go, this Friday at 6P.

Parking coords: N32 54.753 W116 53.077, off Wildcat Canyon Rd.

14-15 mile roundtrip. Elevation at pkg coords, 1540 ft; at highest cache, 3550ft, with LOTS of hills in between.

So how many people are planning on going- this sounds like alot of fun

Just to bring it back to this page...Is this still the plan?

El Cajon Mtn hike is still a go, this Friday at 6P.

Parking coords: N32 54.753 W116 53.077, off Wildcat Canyon Rd.

14-15 mile roundtrip. Elevation at pkg coords, 1540 ft; at highest cache, 3550ft, with LOTS of hills in between.

:rolleyes::unsure: yup

Miragee

Sorry We won't be going. WaterPolo :rolleyes::unsure::unsure:

My frickin back won't let me go this time either. If you don't have water polo on Saturday then you can meet up with us. We are going to hit some puzzles and caches around the La Jolla area.

Cant do the mountain, but the La Jolla sounds good. What time are you thinking Patrick?

Miragee

Sorry We won't be going. WaterPolo :unsure::huh::unsure:

My frickin back won't let me go this time either. If you don't have water polo on Saturday then you can meet up with us. We are going to hit some puzzles and caches around the La Jolla area.

Cant do the mountain, but the La Jolla sounds good. What time are you thinking Patrick?

I have been pushing them for 10am. :rolleyes: I would like to get some sleep and have a shower after friday night's event. I still may require a wakeup phone call though. :unsure:

Miragee

Sorry We won't be going. WaterPolo :anicute::D:)

I have been pushing them for 10am. :) I would like to get some sleep and have a shower after friday night's event. I still may require a wakeup phone call though. :)

10am.. The morning is over by then. :grin::huh:

So how many people are planning on going- this sounds like alot of fun

I've heard from Jahoadi & John, Duganrm, Passing Wind, Sled Head, Miragee, and yourself.

Toby's Gang is showing an interest; and I think SlabyDad mentioned he may join us.

How about meeting at Time Out at 10AM?

Paul I could also meet you sooner somewhere and then we could meet Duganrm and Miragee there at 10AM.

Hi Pat,

I'd love to join you and Paul earlier on Saturday and then meet with Duganrm and Miragee later, also, if that would be okay. The Nutbag has to work so it would be just me.

Tinfoil

Paul I could also meet you sooner somewhere and then we could meet Duganrm and Miragee there at 10AM.

Hi Pat,

I'd love to join you and Paul earlier on Saturday and then meet with Duganrm and Miragee later, also, if that would be okay. The Nutbag has to work so it would be just me.

Tinfoil

We are going to meet at UCSD at 10AM to go get a puzzle called Middlefinger!

The parking is near Forbidden Forest: N32 53.355 W117.14.452

We would also like to do the Stuart Art Collection too!

Hope you can make it!

Edited by TrailGators

Hi Pat,

Tinfoil

Tinfoil,

Send me an email to coordinate for tomorrow morning if you want to carpool. I am picking up Miragee in Rancho San Diego to drive over to La Jolla by 10am. If you are in our area or on the way, I am happy to pick you up.

Paul

[send me an email to coordinate for tomorrow morning if you want to carpool. I am picking up Miragee in Rancho San Diego to drive over to La Jolla by 10am. If you are in our area or on the way, I am happy to pick you up.

Paul

Thanks, Paul! Like Trailgators said, I'll be riding down with him. Thanks for the offer though, and I look forward to meeting you. :anicute: Should be a great day of caching mayhem! :grin: WooHoo!

Tinfoil

We were going to meet up with you TrailGators..... But MORE FRICKEN waterpolo. :laughing::rolleyes::rolleyes::ph34r::P:D

Both days!!!!!!! No wonder it took this long to get to 300 finds.

Don't feel bad, it took me over 1.5 years to find that many. Kids are more important! When you do get out you'll enjoy it that much more! :D

Re: El Cajon Mt Last Night...This is Shilona of SlabyFam and I wanted to say that I WISH I could have been there! Tim went and had a lot of fun. We need a better babysitter. Anyway, thanks for doing all of my caches! I was really hoping that the other 2 would publish while you were all there but they didn't until you were almost out the trail. Bummer! At least you got to beta test them! I was up until 1am checking then finally went to bed. I can't wait for Tim to wake up later and tell me the fun stories! I keep missing all of these fun and social opportunities. Between my school, PTA, kids, reports, hiking...Good Times! Shilona

I only went nine miles last night. It was a great time. SlabyDad was a great guide . . . and thanks to SlabyMom, we all had our calcium. :rolleyes:

Here is a reverse Profile of what my track looked like.

bd9aeaf2-64f9-4eee-b5f4-01b657d62ff2.jpg

The views were fantastic and all the lights were beautiful. Most of the time we didn't even need our headlamps because the moon was so bright. :laughing:

I hiked back out with redstareg and fisnjack and got home at 2:00 a.m. faint.gif

I only went nine miles last night. It was a great time. SlabyDad was a great guide . . . and thanks to SlabyMom, we all had our calcium. :laughing:

Here is a reverse Profile of what my track looked like.

bd9aeaf2-64f9-4eee-b5f4-01b657d62ff2.jpg

The views were fantastic and all the lights were beautiful. Most of the time we didn't even need our headlamps because the moon was so bright. :rolleyes:

I hiked back out with redstareg and fisnjack and got home at 2:00 a.m. faint.gif

Did you hike in and out of a valley? :rolleyes:

If you guys got home at 2AM what time did the others get home? :ph34r:

:laughing:

My legs and feet would have felt better if we had been hiking uphill on the way out, instead of downhill as we were . . . .

Here is the corrected Profile for my part of the hike:

2f623ff9-406b-48d6-977e-b5d7bf8b1e79.jpg

At one point, a helicopter flew over and lit up the area where the others were and at another point, we saw their headlamps, like a little moving string of "pearls" way, way over on the other side of the mountain.

If they did all the caches, including the new ones . . . they probably got off the mountain after the moon went down and when the sky was getting light . . .

At one point, a helicopter flew over and lit up the area where the others were and at another point, we saw their headlamps, like a little moving string of "pearls" way, way over on the other side of the mountain.

If they did all the caches, including the new ones . . . they probably got off the mountain after the moon went down and when the sky was getting light . . .

The helicopter circled a few times lighting up the group hiking down from the main peak and then the group at the top. Then they left and we never saw them again. It helped with visibility for the few minutes they did it. :laughing:

Toby's Gang and I were the last ones off the mountain at about 5:15am. It was just starting to get light out as we got to the cars.

The helicopter circled a few times lighting up the group hiking down from the main peak and then the group at the top. Then they left and we never saw them again. It helped with visibility for the few minutes they did it. :laughing:

Toby's Gang and I were the last ones off the mountain at about 5:15am. It was just starting to get light out as we got to the cars.

What's the coordinates for the grave sites?

No grave sites; we all made it out alive!

We left lots of sweat behind but the mtn did not take away our determination. Duganrm and Toby's gang were about 1/2 hour behind the main pack (Jahoadi n John, JohnnyA, Sled Head, PC Woody, Passing Wind, Duganrm, Toby's Gang, SlabyDad and myself ) towards the end. Matter of fact we last saw them at Gecko's Gurl Turnaround where we feasted on our stashed water.

We next saw them as they emerged out of the morning mist, literally staggering to the parking lot. It was quite a sight and hurt to watch them. Way to go guys!

By the numbers:

Tripmeter: 17.01 miles

Moving time: 7.37 hours

Stopped time: 2.58 hours

Moving Avg: 2.2 mph

Max Speed: 9.6 mph

Total Ascent: 5310 feet

Total Descent: 5335 feet

Water consumed: 150 onces

Memories caching with a great group of cachers: priceless.

Edited by Chuy!

No grave sites; we all made it out alive!

We left lots of sweat behind but the mtn did not take away our determination. Duganrm and Toby's gang were about 1/2 hour behind the main pack (Jahoadi n John, JohnnyA, Sled Head, PC Woody, Passing Wind, Duganrm, Toby's Gang, SlabyDad and myself ) towards the end. Matter of fact we last saw them at Gecko's Gurl Turnaround where we feasted on our stashed water.

We next saw them as they emerged out of the morning mist, literally staggering to the parking lot. It was quite a sight and hurt to watch them. Way to go guys!

By the numbers:

This is down right amazing, what an adventure you all must have had. Cat and I will have to get in shape to try this one once it cools off a little, she doesn't like catting around at night. Congrats to all of you, even the short hike group accomplished a great journey. :anicute::anicute::ph34r::huh::(:anicute:

Congratulations to all of you. That mountain is one tough hike! Glad you all made it back safely.
Ditto! :anicute: Richard was telling me today that one of the caches you guys did was a major bushwhack up a steep hill. Also heard all you guys really loved that one! :laughing: I'm looking forward to doing the hike to the peak and back when it cools down!
Congratulations to all of you. That mountain is one tough hike! Glad you all made it back safely.
Ditto! :laughing: Richard was telling me today that one of the caches you guys did was a major bushwhack up a steep hill. Also heard all you guys really loved that one! :laughing: I'm looking forward to doing the hike to the peak and back when it cools down!

:laughing::laughing:By the numbers:

Now I know we really are all nuts!!! Any one feeling any tenderness like we are? Something easy is on the agenda for today for sure.

:laughing::tired: Where's the next adventure????

Now I know we really are all nuts!!! Any one feeling any tenderness like we are? Something easy is on the agenda for today for sure.

:laughing::laughing: Where's the next adventure????

Thanks for letting me tag along for the hike the other night, it was alot of fun meeting some many other cachers. I was lagging quite a bit because I had taken a spill on some rocks when I was in Hollenbeck Canyon and my ribs were bothering me once we started the uphill climbs. By the time we got the Eaney meany, Miney, Mo, I was burned so decided to head back with Miragee and fshnjack. Good thing I did, because yesterday, I pretty much did not leave bed all day and when my mother in law came over to check on me because she was worried, informed me that my ribs are definately bruised.

Today we are heading up to Julian to grab a few caches and check out the town. Figured we would drive along Sun rise Highway and grab a few close to the roadside and then work our way back along old HWY 80.

I'm thinking of something nice and cool for the next group outing. I mentioned to Chuy! a possible overnighter on Aug 10 and 11 up to the Palomar area - we have a group campsite reserved for up to 25 people and the campsite can hold up to 8 vehicles. The Persides start right then, so it can be a pretty amazing site at night.

Anyone interested?

Tony

I was finally able to crash around midnight last night and got about 11 hours of sleep. :laughing: My legs are pretty sore at this point. I am still trying to decide if I am going to go do any caches today. :laughing:

Edited by duganrm

:laughing::laughing: Where's the next adventure????

Thanks for letting me tag along for the hike the other night, it was alot of fun meeting some many other cachers. I was lagging quite a bit because I had taken a spill on some rocks when I was in Hollenbeck Canyon and my ribs were bothering me once we started the uphill climbs. By the time we got the Eaney meany, Miney, Mo, I was burned so decided to head back with Miragee and fshnjack. Good thing I did, because yesterday, I pretty much did not leave bed all day and when my mother in law came over to check on me because she was worried, informed me that my ribs are definately bruised.

Today we are heading up to Julian to grab a few caches and check out the town. Figured we would drive along Sun rise Highway and grab a few close to the roadside and then work our way back along old HWY 80.

I'm thinking of something nice and cool for the next group outing. I mentioned to Chuy! a possible overnighter on Aug 10 and 11 up to the Palomar area - we have a group campsite reserved for up to 25 people and the campsite can hold up to 8 vehicles. The Persides start right then, so it can be a pretty amazing site at night.

Anyone interested?

Tony

Yes, yes I am very interested. Keep us posted! Thanks!

D!

After five hours of sleep Saturday morning, I got up to meet the group (Team Adelos (3 members), TrailGators, and Tinfoil) for our Saturday SDCET meeting. We walked miles and miles and miles . . . on a beautiful day . . . all to find only four caches. :laughing: If we were able to get credit for all the waypoints, I think we would have gotten at least 30 smiley's. :laughing:

Here is what our tracks looked like:

49d03c45-4129-4172-a88b-f9fb07fc92d4.jpg

Richard was the smart one. He joined us later in the afternoon . . . and he brought his bicycle. :laughing:

Later in the afternoon, TrailGators found his 1700th cache!! :laughing:

...I'm thinking of something nice and cool for the next group outing. I mentioned to Chuy! a possible overnighter on Aug 10 and 11 up to the Palomar area - we have a group campsite reserved for up to 25 people and the campsite can hold up to 8 vehicles. The Persides start right then, so it can be a pretty amazing site at night.

Anyone interested?

Tony

If you decide to make it an event, here is link to Event guidelines. What is the name of the camp, and are there other campsites available?

The campout would give me an excellent opportunity to finish League of Extraordinary Geocachers.

El Cap Night Hike Stats:

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful hike up to El Cajon Mountain and back, I had a great time with some amazing people!!

I finally got to sleep at 5AM and then got woken up at 7:30AM (kids!). I ended up doing some additional hiking with Ruscal up to the summit of Mt. Baldy (BTW...two thumbs up!) later that day, let's just say I was busted up !! If I had to do it again.......I would! :laughing:

El Cap Night Hike Stats:

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful hike up to El Cajon Mountain and back, I had a great time with some amazing people!!

I finally got to sleep at 5AM and then got woken up at 7:30AM (kids!). I ended up doing some additional hiking with Ruscal up to the summit of Mt. Baldy (BTW...two thumbs up!) later that day, let's just say I was busted up !! If I had to do it again.......I would! :laughing:

:laughing:MT Baldy???? That's the highest peak in LA County and it's over 10,000ft ..are you even human???? You are amazing!! :laughing:

El Cap Night Hike Stats:

I finally got to sleep at 5AM and then got woken up at 7:30AM (kids!). I ended up doing some additional hiking with Ruscal up to the summit of Mt. Baldy (BTW...two thumbs up!) later that day, let's just say I was busted up !! If I had to do it again.......I would! :)

You are a very sick person and your wife should check you into GHA (Geocacher Hiker Anonymous) :grin:

I finally got to sleep at 5AM and then got woken up at 7:30AM (kids!). I ended up doing some additional hiking with Ruscal up to the summit of Mt. Baldy (BTW...two thumbs up!) later that day, let's just say I was busted up !! If I had to do it again.......I would! :D

You are a very sick person and your wife should check you into GHA (Geocacher Hiker Anonymous) :unsure:

Sick. Yes, very true.

My excuse, "I'm scouting some cool hikes that I can do with my kids when they get older!".....it never works though.

PassingWind

87f163bf-3797-44bf-8803-ccb5c8dadcf2.jpg