San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Looks like I may show up in the morning to follow you guys around. I already found all the caches on that little bump but it is a nice hike. I can even help smuggle caches past Chuy if needed! :(

The Poway parking area was pretty packed today. If the weather remains, should be pretty full tomorrow also.

Edited by duganrm

I may meet you all at the start to frisk for any contraband - you know, cache containers, etc... :tired:

I'm not sure...but one or two might have slipped through the inspection... ;)

Didn't get up till 10a today as I was working on Hunt for Red October and got home around 0230. I'm up for another few caches up there; may put one up of my own :huh: .

Didn't get up till 10a today as I was working on Hunt for Red October and got home around 0230. I'm up for another few caches up there; may put one up of my own :tired: .

Just give me a day or two to recover before I have to go back up there again. ;)

I saw a red jeep out at the trailhead today but didn't get a good look at it. Think habu! is out there going for the FTFs?

Edited by duganrm

Didn't get up till 10a today as I was working on Hunt for Red October and got home around 0230. I'm up for another few caches up there; may put one up of my own :huh: .

Just give me a day or two to recover before I have to go back up there again. ;)

I saw a red jeep out at the trailhead today but didn't get a good look at it. Think habu! is out there going for the FTFs?

Now I'm sort of glad that I couldn't make it on Sunday! I'll be sure to bring an ammo box when I go! :tired:

Didn't get up till 10a today as I was working on Hunt for Red October and got home around 0230. I'm up for another few caches up there; may put one up of my own :) .

Just give me a day or two to recover before I have to go back up there again. :)

Now I'm sort of glad that I couldn't make it on Sunday! I'll be sure to bring an ammo box when I go! :)

YEP!! ... well one out of two ain't bad for an old fart

Edited by habu!

Didn't get up till 10a today as I was working on Hunt for Red October and got home around 0230. I'm up for another few caches up there; may put one up of my own :) .

Just give me a day or two to recover before I have to go back up there again. :)

Now I'm sort of glad that I couldn't make it on Sunday! I'll be sure to bring an ammo box when I go! :)

YEP!! ... well one out of two ain't bad for an old fart

:)B) See Chuy, you weren't there to inspect!! We couldn't resist. Nice job HABU and CEGRUBE. We had a great time and it was great to meet a couple of other cachers (and those just there to hike!) B):D

After our hike to Iron Mt. Peak, we were thinking about tackling Mt. Woodson Peak. I had some questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to answer.

Is there a staging area on the east side near the 67? How is the hike up from the Poway Lake compared to our hike this past weekend?

After our hike to Iron Mt. Peak, we were thinking about tackling Mt. Woodson Peak. I had some questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to answer.

Is there a staging area on the east side near the 67? How is the hike up from the Poway Lake compared to our hike this past weekend?

I'd say the two hikes are pretty equal. Woodson from Lake Poway has more vertical gain but it's two miles shorter. There is a parking spot on the 67 side.

Look at the cache Parking for Woodywoodpecker (GCNHRY) to find the parking area on the east side (although I recommend parking on the other side of the street from the cache). There is a loop you can do from this parking area. Up to the peak and then down the other side to the Fry-Koegel Trail. Don't forget to solve the puzzle cache at the peak before doing the hike though.

Look at the cache Parking for Woodywoodpecker (GCNHRY) to find the parking area on the east side (although I recommend parking on the other side of the street from the cache). There is a loop you can do from this parking area. Up to the peak and then down the other side to the Fry-Koegel Trail. Don't forget to solve the puzzle cache at the peak before doing the hike though.

It looks like Boomer will be doing this hike tomorrow starting at 9am. If you wish to meet him, show up at parking spot. He won't be able to check the forum till tonight.

Still not sure if I will be able to make it or not yet.

Edited by duganrm

It looks like Boomer will be doing this hike tomorrow starting at 9am. If you wish to meet him, show up at parking spot. He won't be able to check the forum till tonight.

I'm debating too. I'll have to check with the boss....

Thanks duganrm for getting the word out. Come one , come all. Hope see some of you there.

Thanks duganrm for getting the word out. Come one , come all. Hope see some of you there.

Boomer do you know that we lost an hour last night? I just want to confirm that we'd be meeting in a little over an hour from now and not two hours from now....

Edited by TrailGators

Boomer do you know that we lost an hour last night? I just want to confirm that we'd be meeting in a little over an hour from now and not two hours from now....

9am today time . See you there.

9am today time . See you there.

OK. Look for a Red Durango. I'll be headed out there in a few minutes!

Thinking about hitting Palomar on Saturday. We could meet at the P&R at 15 and El Norte and then head up to 76. Hit the caches on 76 then head up to Palomar and hit those and the ones down towards Hendshaw. Then we could lop back and hit the ones in Valley Center. There is a Dan-oh cache up there that's been on my to-do list forever...

Here is the route:

9856c06f-62fe-4249-a266-81fd7012e664.jpg

Sound interesting to anyone?

Edited by TrailGators
Is this going to be all pavement or some dirt? What are these Identifiers? Looks good.

Some are drive-bys and some are hikes. The identifers are caches. I use GSAK to chop off the GC and add two letters that tell me what kind of caches they are. For example, "TR" is a traditional cache with a regular sized container. "TS" is a traditional cache with a small sized container. I also add a number to the end to tell me the terrain rating but I use a 1-9 scale. So a 3 terrain in GC would be a 5 in my coding (add 1 to the number and then divide by 2 to convert).

Edited by TrailGators
Thinking about hitting Palomar on Saturday. We could meet at the P&R at 15 and El Norte and then head up to 76. Hit the caches on 76 then head up to Palomar and hit those and the ones down towards Hendshaw. Then we could lop back and hit the ones in Valley Center. There is a Dan-oh cache up there that's been on my to-do list forever...

I'm might manage to get out of my cave and join you for the morning part of this. What is the current snow level up there, if any?

I'm might manage to get out of my cave and join you for the morning part of this. What is the current snow level up there, if any?

I'm sure that the snow up there is gone by now. The temps have been in the 50s up there. However after reading about the 5 inches of rain that we'll get up there I'm wondering if we should push this out a week. I think it's gonna be very muddy up there (and everywhere) this weekend. What do you think?

Edited by TrailGators
I'm sure that the snow up there is gone by now. The temps have been in the 50s up there. However after reading about the 5 inches of rain that we'll get up there I'm wondering if we should push this out a week. I think it's gonna be very muddy up there (and everywhere) this weekend. What do you think?
:ph34r:Palomar Webcam
:(Palomar Webcam

Here is the 10-day forecast for Palomar.

It doesn't look good up there next weekend either.... :ph34r:

d3631785-fffb-437e-8ab5-82c8c7fe46f8.jpg

:o:unsure:I think we can be talked into this. If the forcast is right, it will not rain today or tomorrow or Saturday and it will be warm Saturday. I think Pat has a good route picked out, Let's do it!! Meet at 0800 or earlier?? :unsure::blink:

Actually yesterday it didn't rain like they said and it's nice and sunny today!

Woo Hoo! :huh:

So how about meeting at the P&R at 15 and El Norte (N33 08.730 W117 06.160) at 8AM?

:blink::huh:I think we can be talked into this. If the forcast is right, it will not rain today or tomorrow or Saturday and it will be warm Saturday. I think Pat has a good route picked out, Let's do it!! Meet at 0800 or earlier?? :o:D

Woo Hoo! :unsure:

So how about meeting at the P&R at 15 and El Norte (N33 08.730 W117 06.160) at 8AM?

Tempting. :unsure: I will see if the kids are interested in going caching this weekend. I will let you guys know and maybe bring some caches.. I mean swag. :D

:):DI think we can be talked into this. If the forcast is right, it will not rain today or tomorrow or Saturday and it will be warm Saturday. I think Pat has a good route picked out, Let's do it!! Meet at 0800 or earlier?? :cry::(

Woo Hoo! :(

Tempting. :) I will see if the kids are interested in going caching this weekend. I will let you guys know and maybe bring some caches.. I mean swag. :D

If Team Adelos is coming then this could be the start of Puzzle Mountain! :)

It looks like it's 50 degrees up there right now with about an inch of snow.....

91a71bba-bb33-4ccb-a3cd-323b18e3f9f0.jpg

Edited by TrailGators
If Team Adelos is coming then this could be the start of Puzzle Mountain! :D

It looks like it's 50 degrees up there right now with about an inch of snow.....

91a71bba-bb33-4ccb-a3cd-323b18e3f9f0.jpg

That looks like fun! Weather looks clear thru Sunday! Do you happen to have a GSAK arc filter for that route? Or how do you get all the caches along the route into your GPSr? Or I suppose, with all your finds, you can almost fit all the remaining caches in the county in your GPSr now! :)

That looks like fun! Weather looks clear thru Sunday! Do you happen to have a GSAK arc filter for that route? Or how do you get all the caches along the route into your GPSr? Or I suppose, with all your finds, you can almost fit all the remaining caches in the county in your GPSr now! :cry:

An arc gpx file would be great. I can pull one together, or of the area, or both for gsak. I can work on that tonight unless someone already has it. :D

That looks like fun! Weather looks clear thru Sunday! Do you happen to have a GSAK arc filter for that route? Or how do you get all the caches along the route into your GPSr? Or I suppose, with all your finds, you can almost fit all the remaining caches in the county in your GPSr now! :D

An arc gpx file would be great. I can pull one together, or of the area, or both for gsak. I can work on that tonight unless someone already has it. :cry:

:(:( 0800 :) How about earlier? 0730? :D:)

Anybody BORED tomorrow and want to go caching???? Perhaps Rancho San Diego Area? My caching partner and the rest of the gang are out of town.

Actually looking at taking the day off of work tomorrow. I was thinking about going for the FTF on Missing Link and hitting the rest of the puzzles I have down there.

Anybody BORED tomorrow and want to go caching???? Perhaps Rancho San Diego Area? My caching partner and the rest of the gang are out of town.

If you had given more than one day notice I could have taken off! But now I'm stuck in meetings tomorrow! :)

Edited by TrailGators
TailGators

Is saturday still on?

Miragee.

The only thing I got going is weather I want to tackle my weeds. Let me see :) Pull weeds......Go Caching :(

If you send me your coords, We can figure out where to hook up.

Email

Gene

It's TrailGators...remember trail! :cry: But it was a play-on-words with tailgater.

Anyhow, I think we are all meeting at the P&R at 15 and El Norte (N33 08.730 W117 06.160) at 8AM on Saturday morning. 8AM still feels like 7AM to me. I hate these time changes! :D

By the way if you do a PQ of the area it will be pretty obvious which ones are right off the road that we can hit on the way up! I think arc filters are better for very long trips! Even though I still do even long trips the simple way: delete the caches from my map that I'm not going to hit and then upload to my geepus! :(

Edited by TrailGators
TailGators

Is saturday still on?

Miragee.

The only thing I got going is weather I want to tackle my weeds. Let me see :) Pull weeds......Go Caching :(

Email

Gene

It's TrailGators...remember trail! :cry: But it was a play-on-words with tailgater.

Anyhow, I think we are all meeting at the P&R at 15 and El Norte (N33 08.730 W117 06.160) at 8AM on Saturday morning. 8AM still feels like 7AM to me. I hate these time changes! :D

By the way if you do a PQ of the area it will be pretty obvious which ones are right off the road that we can hit on the way up! I think arc filters are better for very long trips! Even though I still do it the old fashioned way and simply delete the caches from my map that I'm not going to hit!

I agree with TrailHaters...don’t use the Arc... even for a long trip...I take the 40 to OKC once or twice a year...I like to filter out anything farther out then 2 miles....If i use the ARC...it drops caches that are a few feet off the road and gives me some that are 10 miles out....and the 40 is fairly straight...but that is just my opinion.

RocketMan gave a bunch of info on filters in the main SD forum last year....He is the Man!

TailGators

Is saturday still on?

Miragee.

The only thing I got going is weather I want to tackle my weeds. Let me see :( Pull weeds......Go Caching :)

Email

Gene

It's TrailGators...remember trail! :) But it was a play-on-words with tailgater.

Anyhow, I think we are all meeting at the P&R at 15 and El Norte (N33 08.730 W117 06.160) at 8AM on Saturday morning. 8AM still feels like 7AM to me. I hate these time changes! :cry:

By the way if you do a PQ of the area it will be pretty obvious which ones are right off the road that we can hit on the way up! I think arc filters are better for very long trips! Even though I still do it the old fashioned way and simply delete the caches from my map that I'm not going to hit!

I agree with TrailHaters...don't use the Arc... even for a long trip...I take the 40 to OKC once or twice a year...I like to filter out anything farther out then 2 miles....If i use the ARC...it drops caches that are a few feet off the road and gives me some that are 10 miles out....and the 40 is fairly straight...but that is just my opinion

What is this pick on TG day?! :D

It's TrailGators as in a slow aligator that crawls up trails! :(

I really don't hate trails! :)