San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Is anybody thinking of sledding and caching today?!

[edit]........too late we just got back! :P Julian looks like it got about a foot of snow! It was worth the drive because we don't get to see the white stuff too often! We even found one cache! Woo Hoo!

We went up to Palomar today - besides not having any of the caches in the GPSr, we weren't really in the mood for excavation caching :P . It was gorgeous though - there were still piles of snow up in the trees (although plenty found its way down onto our heads). And relatively quiet - great sledding. We brought a load of snow back with us but it didn't last long! Took lots of video and only two stills:

e1d45021-176d-46e0-b47e-2b7bbead37a6.jpg

Looks like fun. Were you in the main park? How crowded was it?

Hindsight says we should have gone there.....next time....

Anyhow, it is supposed to rain there on Saturday too, but if it doesn't........ :D

We went to the area right across the street from Mother's (after first heading down to the north park and then over to the observatory). The best sledding was right there. It wasn't crowded at all - there might have been a dozen other people there - we could pick from many spots to sled down (some rather adventuresome ones too), although it started to pick up by the time we left. It's strange how they leave all the CHAINS REQUIRED signs up when the road is nearly 100% clear, although I guess at night the melting snow can freeze and be challenging. We actually saw some motorcyclists up there (talk about "die-hard" :( ).

Is anybody thinking of sledding and caching today?!

[edit]........too late we just got back! :) Julian looks like it got about a foot of snow! It was worth the drive because we don't get to see the white stuff too often! We even found one cache! Woo Hoo!

We went up to Palomar today - besides not having any of the caches in the GPSr, we weren't really in the mood for excavation caching :( . It was gorgeous though - there were still piles of snow up in the trees (although plenty found its way down onto our heads). And relatively quiet - great sledding. We brought a load of snow back with us but it didn't last long! Took lots of video and only two stills:

e1d45021-176d-46e0-b47e-2b7bbead37a6.jpg

Looks like fun. Were you in the main park? How crowded was it?

Hindsight says we should have gone there.....next time....

Anyhow, it is supposed to rain there on Saturday too, but if it doesn't........ :)

We went to the area right across the street from Mother's (after first heading down to the north park and then over to the observatory). The best sledding was right there. It wasn't crowded at all - there might have been a dozen other people there - we could pick from many spots to sled down (some rather adventuresome ones too), although it started to pick up by the time we left. It's strange how they leave all the CHAINS REQUIRED signs up when the road is nearly 100% clear, although I guess at night the melting snow can freeze and be challenging. We actually saw some motorcyclists up there (talk about "die-hard" :( ).

We also went up to Julian on Sunday, but it was more of a play day, didn't have any of the coords with me. It took us 3 hours to get up there from Mission Valley. I guess it was not an original idea. :o

Did I see somewhere that people were going to be getting together to do the Forbidden Forest tomorrow night? I haven't done it yet and will have some free time after about 8pm...

Last I heard Forbidden Forest was still tomorrow night. (don't know about time though) Should probably figure out a meeting spot and time for that one.

I am curious, who is meeting up tomorrow for None More Southwesterly and where (and time)? Will we be doing any other caches (so I can load my GPS)? I plan to ditch work tomorrow. :)

Did I see somewhere that people were going to be getting together to do the Forbidden Forest tomorrow night? I haven't done it yet and will have some free time after about 8pm...

Last I heard Forbidden Forest was still tomorrow night. (don't know about time though) Should probably figure out a meeting spot and time for that one.

I am curious, who is meeting up tomorrow for None More Southwesterly and where (and time)? Will we be doing any other caches (so I can load my GPS)? I plan to ditch work tomorrow. :)

NMS is tomorrow???

I was going to hit it today with docditto????

Dave

NMS is tomorrow???

Dave

It was originally discussed for Wed. I never heard it got changed (although that doesn't mean anything). Willing to let another person tag along tonight? I just have to know when and where. It may take me a little while to get there due to traffic since I work in the Miramar area.

NMS is tomorrow???

Dave

It was originally discussed for Wed. I never heard it got changed (although that doesn't mean anything). Willing to let another person tag along tonight? I just have to know when and where. It may take me a little while to get there due to traffic since I work in the Miramar area.

:) Jahoadi and I won't be home for a while. If it is tonight let us know. I think Jahoadi and I were going to try to take him tomorrow afternoon for the most southwest one. We are both trying to leave work tomorrow at 14:30 to go and pick DOCDITTO up... :D

NMS is tomorrow???

Dave

:) Jahoadi and I won't be home for a while. If it is tonight let us know. I think Jahoadi and I were going to try to take him tomorrow afternoon for the most southwest one. We are both trying to leave work tomorrow at 14:30 to go and pick DOCDITTO up... :D

Ok I/we will leave NFS for tomorrow...

I am picking docditto up @ 1730 tonight...I was planing to hit NFS first and head north along the cost...but I will put that off and do NFS tomorrow. Sooooo I have no plan for tonight...Richard...you or anyone else...is/are welcome to join us. Call me 619-206-3366 I am out the door now...so will not see any replies.

I was thinking None More Southwesterly tomorrow afternoon and forbidden forest in the evening after dark. Sorry for all the confusion! Didn't realize you'd planned on hitting the southwest caches tonight GoBolts!

We'll figure it out. :)

I just got off the phone with DocDiTTo. He's on his way up the rat hole with Gobolts! What a popular guy huh? I will pick him up at his hotel at 2:15-2:30 and head to cornado to meet John, do a few caches and then head south for the None More Southwesterly. We'll meet Br Boggis at the parking coods for the forbidden Forest at 8:00 pm. If anyone wants to join the fun I estimate we'll be at Hanging Out in Harbor View by 3:15-3:30. Leave a post so we have an idea if anyone's gonna be there. There are some caches on the way down the strand and in IB on the way to the southwesterly cache. :D:D

I was thinking None More Southwesterly tomorrow afternoon and forbidden forest in the evening after dark. Sorry for all the confusion! Didn't realize you'd planned on hitting the southwest caches tonight GoBolts!

We'll figure it out. :huh:

I just got off the phone with DocDiTTo. He's on his way up the rat hole with Gobolts! What a popular guy huh? I will pick him up at his hotel at 2:15-2:30 and head to cornado to meet John, do a few caches and then head south for the None More Southwesterly. We'll meet Br Boggis at the parking coods for the forbidden Forest at 8:00 pm. If anyone wants to join the fun I estimate we'll be at Hanging Out in Harbor View by 3:15-3:30. Leave a post so we have an idea if anyone's gonna be there. There are some caches on the way down the strand and in IB on the way to the southwesterly cache. :):rolleyes:

I just realized, (and wondered if anyone else has), how seemingly unusual it is that a bunch of San Diego cachers have essentially adopted a visiting out-of-town cacher, and taken time out of their own lives to make him feel at home, and help him have a good time while he is here.

This is, I think, very unusual in these times--very special, and speaks volumes about the people in the SD caching community. I feel privileged to have met at least some of you.

We'll figure it out. :)

I just got off the phone with DocDiTTo. He's on his way up the rat hole with Gobolts! What a popular guy huh? I will pick him up at his hotel at 2:15-2:30 and head to cornado to meet John, do a few caches and then head south for the None More Southwesterly. We'll meet Br Boggis at the parking coods for the forbidden Forest at 8:00 pm. If anyone wants to join the fun I estimate we'll be at Hanging Out in Harbor View by 3:15-3:30. Leave a post so we have an idea if anyone's gonna be there. There are some caches on the way down the strand and in IB on the way to the southwesterly cache. :):rolleyes:

I just realized, (and wondered if anyone else has), how seemingly unusual it is that a bunch of San Diego cachers have essentially adopted a visiting out-of-town cacher, and taken time out of their own lives to make him feel at home, and help him have a good time while he is here.

This is, I think, very unusual in these times--very special, and speaks volumes about the people in the SD caching community. I feel privileged to have met at least some of you.

I second that! You guys are awesome! :huh::PB)

I just got off the phone with DocDiTTo. He's on his way up the rat hole with Gobolts! What a popular guy huh? I will pick him up at his hotel at 2:15-2:30 and head to cornado to meet John, do a few caches and then head south for the None More Southwesterly. ...

Where's cornado? :)

Rat Hole after the rains? Hope they stay dry!

Sorry John (Team Fatman); since there be lots of folks going and there be nothing in the area for me, I'll pass on participating, but primarily 'cause parking is going to be tight.

Edited by Chuy

I just got off the phone with DocDiTTo. He's on his way up the rat hole with Gobolts! What a popular guy huh? I will pick him up at his hotel at 2:15-2:30 and head to cornado to meet John, do a few caches and then head south for the None More Southwesterly. ...

Where's cornado? :)

Rat Hole after the rains? Hope they stay dry!

Sorry John (Team Fatman); since there be lots of folks going and there be nothing in the area for me, I'll pass on participating, but primarily 'cause parking is going to be tight.

No problem, I tried calling you, but your phone is at home. I talked to GoBolt and took him I couldn't make it. Got the contractor for the kitchen coming over to talk about paint. Will have to do some other time. :rolleyes:

I was already on the road for the Rat Hole before your post. I plan to try and ruin your plans and pick up Doc a little after noon for some caches before you get out of work. We will still meet you when you get out, just may try to get some caches between Doc's Hotel and your work. I sent you an email with my cell number so you can call me.

I was already on the road for the Rat Hole before your post. I plan to try and ruin your plans and pick up Doc a little after noon for some caches before you get out of work. We will still meet you when you get out, just may try to get some caches between Doc's Hotel and your work. I sent you an email with my cell number so you can call me.

I will be hooking up with the first group @ noon or noon30

I just got off the phone with DocDiTTo. He's on his way up the rat hole with Gobolts! What a popular guy huh? I will pick him up at his hotel at 2:15-2:30 and head to cornado to meet John, do a few caches and then head south for the None More Southwesterly. We'll meet Br Boggis at the parking coods for the forbidden Forest at 8:00 pm. If anyone wants to join the fun I estimate we'll be at Hanging Out in Harbor View by 3:15-3:30. Leave a post so we have an idea if anyone's gonna be there. There are some caches on the way down the strand and in IB on the way to the southwesterly cache. :huh::rolleyes:

0600: I'm all confused now. I'll call Docditto when the sun is up. I told Miragee I'd pick her up in Coronado ( ok Chuy?). Please don't go south without us. : :)

I just got off the phone with DocDiTTo. He's on his way up the rat hole with Gobolts! What a popular guy huh? I will pick him up at his hotel at 2:15-2:30 and head to cornado to meet John, do a few caches and then head south for the None More Southwesterly. We'll meet Br Boggis at the parking coods for the forbidden Forest at 8:00 pm. If anyone wants to join the fun I estimate we'll be at Hanging Out in Harbor View by 3:15-3:30. Leave a post so we have an idea if anyone's gonna be there. There are some caches on the way down the strand and in IB on the way to the southwesterly cache. :lol::lol:

0600: I'm all confused now. I'll call Docditto when the sun is up. I told Miragee I'd pick her up in Coronado ( ok Chuy?). Please don't go south without us. : :anibad:

Sorry about the confusion. Everything else will remain the same, we won't head south without anyone. We just figured we could get Doc a couple hours early since we would be available earlier.

Righto folks, for those who are coming to UCSD for the Forbidden Forest assault tonight, I should be there between 8 and 8.30pm, in the Boggismobile (Alfa). My cellphone number is 858-699-3486 in case you want to get hold of me. I think they may still enforce parking (meters) at that time, so you might want to bring some quarters!

Anyone planning a trip to the Ladder Canyon "LunchMeet" (Event Cache)? Hopefully it will not be another rain-out. Who wants to go to a desert sand wash when it is raining?!!

ea7d0aa3-12e5-4f3e-ab42-0c0ad62ada8d.jpg

I was thinking about it but the rain makes the long drive not worth doing this weekend. As soon as everything dries out out there I still want to go do a bunch of the ones on your favorites list and the Basilisk!

Yes, I plan on the trip including some Palms to Pines caches. A bad weather day is better with a bunch of caches along the way! Either way, the weather will not be as bad as last weekend. I plan to leave early in the AM and get to the event around Noon. I am going solo, but always "room for one more"!

Yes, I plan on the trip including some Palms to Pines caches. A bad weather day is better with a bunch of caches along the way! Either way, the weather will not be as bad as last weekend. I plan to leave early in the AM and get to the event around Noon. I am going solo, but always "room for one more"!

I think take you up on that! The weather loks better out there tomorrow plus that area looks very cool like RM said!

Edited by TrailGators
I'll check with Rogue and see if she is up for it. Care if we tag along if I can talk her into it? Knowing her we will probably want to drive ourselves though.

If you want to go meet us at the El Norte & 15 Park&Ride at 7AM (in the larger east lot). We will head out via 79 to 74 caching along the way!

816e3c9b-916b-49a3-bb85-57cd2bfdd8e5.jpg

I'll check with Rogue and see if she is up for it. Care if we tag along if I can talk her into it? Knowing her we will probably want to drive ourselves though.

If you want to go meet us at the El Norte & 15 Park&Ride at 7AM (in the larger east lot). We will head out via 79 to 74 caching along the way!

Plenty of room for more. I have a Yukon XL 4WD. Of course, I always have the Sirius radio as well! I plan on making it back home early evening.

Plenty of room for more. I have a Yukon XL 4WD. Of course, I always have the Sirius radio as well! I plan on making it back home early evening.

If it wasn't for a company function I've already commited to, I'd be going with you guys. Have fun!

If it wasn't for a company function I've already commited to, I'd be going with you guys. Have fun!

Thanks, we'll catch ya next time Jerry. We still need to do South Fortuna for breakfast one of these weeks.... :mad:

6b48b287-8e7d-4496-8512-6213f287fac6.jpg

That was quite a place. Worth the trip since the weather and area was beautiful. Nice 6 mile or so hike looped the area. The slots and "painted" walls were majestic.

I heard a rumor about another desert event scheduled, but it is not released yet? Any word on that? Already looking forward to the next one.

Anyone fancy doing Iron Mountain this Sunday? I was thinking of the big loop and the peak, works out about 10 miles I think. Would probably want to hit the trail about 9am.

I did that exact hike about three years ago and it was pretty tough. I've been back to hit all the new caches on Iron Mountain that were placed after the fire but the group I was that day opted not to do the other loop. So I still need to hit the Ellie Lane loop caches but I can't this Sunday because I already have plans. Maybe next time! Anyhow, enjoy the hike! :laughing:

Anyone fancy doing Iron Mountain this Sunday? I was thinking of the big loop and the peak, works out about 10 miles I think. Would probably want to hit the trail about 9am.

I would certainly like to do that hike as long as we aren't running. At my current level of fitness I think a nice slow walk is my pace. Keep us posted as to the exact time and place to meet.

I may meet you up for the hike to Boulders With a View; It's the only one left for me to visit, for now.

I think we did the loop in 11+ miles; it came out to an even 12 'cause SOMEONE dropped their cell phone on the trail on the way back. We parked at Ellie Lane Horse staging area, hiked due east up and over the ridge, and returned via the trail from The Little Hurkey cache.

X marks the Hurley Cache. (if you have problems with maps.google displaying the whole map, click anywhere inside the address bar and hit enter; that should expand the map.)

The staging area at Ellie Lane is underutililized; most folks park along the 67 near the main trailhead which is just south of the Poway Rd intersection.

Edited by Chuy

OK, well I'd like to meet at 9am, across the road from the posted coords for Fattboy's End of the Line cache, where Poway Road meets the 67. That's a good place to start on the Iron Mountain trails. There are plenty of caches on the loop trail around the northern end, and a few more on the side trail to the summit. The big loop trail is about 7 miles, so if people are too tired to go to the top we can split up and you won't have to do the full 10 including the summit trail. I'm happy to go whatever speed people want to go!

The first 17 of these caches should be available on the trail, but I think the Brownies on the Move one is off the main trail so I don't think we'd get that without extra miles.

Post something in here if you think you'll be coming so we'll know to look out for you before we start the hike. My cellphone # is 858 699 3486.

OK, well I'd like to meet at 9am, across the road from the posted coords for Fattboy's End of the Line cache, where Poway Road meets the 67. That's a good place to start on the Iron Mountain trails. There are plenty of caches on the loop trail around the northern end, and a few more on the side trail to the summit. The big loop trail is about 7 miles, so if people are too tired to go to the top we can split up and you won't have to do the full 10 including the summit trail. I'm happy to go whatever speed people want to go!

The first 17 of these caches should be available on the trail, but I think the Brownies on the Move one is off the main trail so I don't think we'd get that without extra miles.

Post something in here if you think you'll be coming so we'll know to look out for you before we start the hike. My cellphone # is 858 699 3486.

I'll be at the End Of the Line cache at/or before 9am on Sunday, March 26th. If anything changes I'll post a note in this Forum or if it is too late I will call you and let you know I will not be there. Thanks for getting this off the ground.

I'll be at the End Of the Line cache at/or before 9am on Sunday, March 26th. If anything changes I'll post a note in this Forum or if it is too late I will call you and let you know I will not be there. Thanks for getting this off the ground.

That Brownies cache is along the Ellie loop and right beside the trail.

Edited by SD Rowdies

:rolleyes: Jahoadi and I are thinking of joining you all :blink:

We've found some of the caches up there (the ones that are easiest to reach from the Ellie Lane trailhead) but we need to get back up there and find some of the others. Sounds like this might be a good opportunity.

At this time, count me in. I'll check back tomorrow night to make sure we're good. Hope to see more people out there.

Edited by Boomer and his Cache Bandits