San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Friday myself Skillet and Fattboy are doing vieja grade old hwy 80 meadows and then if we have time the lagunas. We are leaving my house in santee at 6 am.

sounds like fun aside from that 6am thing. B)

well we have planned about 25 caches to do. If you want e-mail me and I'll give you my cell # and you can call me to see where were at.

I'll email tonight. Running late for meeting Trailgators right now.

If someone else goes out a little later in the morning, I will go with them though. :D

B.R.A. is planning on going out with the FATT Team Friday morning....one at 6am the other will be at the park and ride around 8ish and will meet up with us early birds....anyone want a ride?

BTW...great pics Pat....did you use your new walking stick/tripod/waffle maker thing?

Yes Barb, I used my new stick today! :D It came in handy for photos and walking down some steep parts of the trail! I could do 8AM but would want to do the Old Highway 80 caches!

That could work for us cause we are hitting the viejas grade caches first.

Friday myself Skillet and Fattboy are doing vieja grade old hwy 80 meadows and then if we have time the lagunas. We are leaving my house in santee at 6 am.

sounds like fun aside from that 6am thing. B)

well we have planned about 25 caches to do. If you want e-mail me and I'll give you my cell # and you can call me to see where were at.

I'll email tonight. Running late for meeting Trailgators right now.

If someone else goes out a little later in the morning, I will go with them though. :D

B.R.A. is planning on going out with the FATT Team Friday morning....one at 6am the other will be at the park and ride around 8ish and will meet up with us early birds....anyone want a ride?

BTW...great pics Pat....did you use your new walking stick/tripod/waffle maker thing?

Yes Barb, I used my new stick today! :D It came in handy for photos and walking down some steep parts of the trail! I could do 8AM but would want to do the Old Highway 80 caches!

That could work for us cause we are hitting the viejas grade caches first.

I can do 8am. Rogue said she will come as well.

*By the way Chuy, the trail out to Old Glory is quite a bit above the water.

Kool, is it bike-able?

Note to prospective Villager Peak hikers; Passing Wind has indicated he is planning the hike on Friday. That deflates my ambition as I was interested in the FTF. I still want to do the hike some day, but I would rather not "shake" things too much at home if the FTf is unavailable.

I'm now thinking of driving down the 94 to Tecate and start working on Night Hunter's caches, as well as the Subterranean cache. I will most likely only be able to cache through noon. You know what that means... I'd like to start no later than 6a.

This is still somewhat in the air. What complicates things further is that I just found out one of our neighbors is getting a masectomy on Friday. We are a very close neighborhood; so, I may be playing Daddy daycare if the Mrs' decide to get together.

Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah
Blah.. Old Highway 80 caches!
Blah
Blah

So what's on the 8am agenda? :D

Meet at the park and ride at descano to do the old hwy 80 caches, Myself Skillet and fattboy are going out at 6 to do viejas grade first then hwy 80 then over to the medow just south of the p&r then to the lagunas.

The 8am P&R is at our usual spot....I8 and Lake Jennings....then on to Descanso P&R.

The 8am P&R is at our usual spot....I8 and Lake Jennings....then on to Descanso P&R.

You mean 6am? Uhh, I'm getting confused! :D

I think this must be the plan:

Friday Dec 30

6 AM Email Team Fatman

8 AM Lake Jennings Park & Ride

Is that right?

On edit - corrected

Edited by TFTC

You mean 6am? Uhh, I'm getting confused! :D

I think this must be the plan:

Friday Dec 30

6 AM Lake Jennings Park & Ride

8 AM Descanso Park & Ride

Is that right?

nope. :D

6 am: email Team Fatman

8 am: Lake Jennings Park and Ride

Wow, that's a hike and a half! I'm interested but not quite sure when. Anyone for next Sunday?

I'll hit Topo! tonight and start some of the beta/map work.

I am thinking next Monday, Jan 2nd. I'm off but I still got to run it by the Mrs.

Rich (the Snake of Snake & Rooster) sent me this "muggle" link of the hike.

Monday would be ok with me.......I just walked 26.2 miles so 14 wont bother me .......it is the uphill part that makes me think........but then.....if it is 14 round trip that means only 7 are up :antenna:

I might be willing to do this with you all. We did Villager/Rabbit as a backpacking trip. It is NOT easy!!! 9 hours is optimistic..and don't forget the 2+ hour ride to get there. I'll keep checking the posts to see if you are really serious. PCWoody and JonnyA might be convinced also. They are both mountain goats.

Kool, is it bike-able?

Note to prospective Villager Peak hikers; Passing Wind has indicated he is planning the hike on Friday. That deflates my ambition as I was interested in the FTF. I still want to do the hike some day, but I would rather not "shake" things too much at home if the FTf is unavailable.

I'm now thinking of driving down the 94 to Tecate and start working on Night Hunter's caches, as well as the Subterranean cache. I will most likely only be able to cache through noon. You know what that means... I'd like to start no later than 6a.

This is still somewhat in the air. What complicates things further is that I just found out one of our neighbors is getting a masectomy on Friday. We are a very close neighborhood; so, I may be playing Daddy daycare if the Mrs' decide to get together.

What day are you thinking of doing this?

The official San Diego Tunnel Rat meeting is now called to order!

49448655-M.jpg

Saturday December 31st, 8am

32°56.262, 117°6.080

also know as Scripps Poway Pky @ Scripps Summit Dr

Adjacent Carl's Jr for your dining "pleasure" if you missed breakfast.

PassingWind and I will be exploring one of the longest tunnels in north San Diego, possibly 1-2 miles, and finding a good spot for a cache placement. The pic is from the tunnel entrance that I scouted with my kids...girls 13 & 10 years old! You can't be scared if a 10 year old girl will go, can you? :antenna:

Bring 2 light sources (head lamps are great!), snacks or a lunch, shoes that you don't mind getting wet, holy water, garlic and anything else that wards off the spooks. I'm bring my camera tripod this time to get some cool pictures, un-blurry pictures.

You can email me for more info or for my cell number.

Are you still planning on doing this?

I'm now thinking of driving down the 94 to Tecate and start working on Night Hunter's caches, as well as the Subterranean cache.  I will most likely only be able to cache through noon.  You know what that means... I'd like to start no later than 6a.

I've been discussing the weather issue with Snake and Rooster and Duncan. The current forecast calls for 60% chance of rain from the coast through Jamul, then drops to 20% east of there. East of there would cover most of Night Hunter's caches.

As long as it don't rain much, you can drive on most of the dirt roads down yonder as most are hard packed. We'll just have to wait and see how the weather changes.

I have also introduced the idea of heading up to Temecula if it rains as I don't mind micros in the rain as many are on the streets within a few steps of parking.

We'll keep you posted.

I'm now thinking of driving down the 94 to Tecate and start working on Night Hunter's caches, as well as the Subterranean cache.  I will most likely only be able to cache through noon.  You know what that means... I'd like to start no later than 6a.

I've been discussing the weather issue with Snake and Rooster and Duncan. The current forecast calls for 60% chance of rain from the coast through Jamul, then drops to 20% east of there. East of there would cover most of Night Hunter's caches.

As long as it don't rain much, you can drive on most of the dirt roads down yonder as most are hard packed. We'll just have to wait and see how the weather changes.

I have also introduced the idea of heading up to Temecula if it rains as I don't mind micros in the rain as many are on the streets within a few steps of parking.

We'll keep you posted.

Let me know if you come up our way. I'll join you for a while.

I was going to try and join the tunnel rats, but with the rains that are forecast, I think that trip should be postponed. Once you are in the tunnels, you won't be able to tell how hard it is raining up top.

Well, until it is too late that is...

We'll keep you posted.

Just put down when (day of week) and where to meet ........I am assuming the time is 6a no matter what :laughing: and that is fine with me.

Edited by smilinglady13

49448655-M.jpg

32°56.262, 117°6.080

PassingWind and I will be exploring one of the longest tunnels in north San Diego, possibly 1-2 miles, and finding a good spot for a cache placement.  The pic is from the tunnel entrance that I scouted with my kids...girls 13 & 10 years old!  You can't be scared if a 10 year old girl will go, can you?  :laughing:

Bring 2 light sources (head lamps are great!), snacks or a lunch, shoes that you don't mind getting wet, holy water, garlic and anything else that wards off the spooks.  I'm bring my camera tripod this time to get some cool pictures, un-blurry pictures. 

Is everyone accounted for?

Body Found In Storm Drain

12-29-2005 3:54 PM

(San Diego, CA) -- San Diego Police say a body was found in a storm drain next to a freeway in North Park today. The body was discovered by someone looking in the drain near Landis and Nile streets and the 805 freeway about 1:30 p.m..There are few details as the investigation continues.

(San Diego, CA) -- San Diego Police say a body was found in a storm drain next to a freeway in North Park today. The body was discovered by someone looking in the drain near Landis and Nile streets and the 805 freeway about 1:30 p.m..There are few details as the investigation continues.

Hmm, must've been a SD Tunnel Rat that found the body - BRA, you've got competition in the CSI dept now!

Hmm, must've been a SD Tunnel Rat that found the body - BRA, you've got competition in the CSI dept now!

Guess we better get our "dead body hotline" up and running. :laughing:

Guess we better get our "dead body hotline" up and running. :laughing:

Dang, it wasn't me that spotted it. I was up in Pine Valley today setting up a storm-drain cache with my grandson Taylor. Today was his 16th birthday. Submitted the cache this afternoon.

Taylor caches but never logs; go figure. Must be some sort of Gene-pool thang. Guess I need to call a good pool-service guy to straighten him out. I did my best to expose him to Poison Oak and Poison Sumac on Monday in Secret Canyon. Immune like the rest of the family it seems. Sorry about that Rocket Man.

Maybe we'll have some more action for B.R.A. what with this underground craze catching on. By the way, we placed a B.R.A. squashed penny in Taylor's new cache that we picked up on Bear Valley Road.

Edited by SD Rowdies

redx.jpg

32°56.262, 117°6.080

PassingWind and I will be exploring one of the longest tunnels in north San Diego, possibly 1-2 miles, and finding a good spot for a cache placement.  The pic is from the tunnel entrance that I scouted with my kids...girls 13 & 10 years old!  You can't be scared if a 10 year old girl will go, can you?  :laughing:

Bring 2 light sources (head lamps are great!), snacks or a lunch, shoes that you don't mind getting wet, holy water, garlic and anything else that wards off the spooks.  I'm bring my camera tripod this time to get some cool pictures, un-blurry pictures. 

Yeah, we're still on. I'm not 100% sure who all is coming but I'll be there at 8am. Final call on weather will be made that morning. Some weather reports have the rain starting Saturday PM into Sunday so I'm hoping its OK.

Email me for more info or my cell number if you wanna call the day of.

Friday Dec 30

6 AM Email Team Fatman

8 AM Lake Jennings Park & Ride

OK, I'm going to try to make this (8am) - but since I'm supposed to be working, I'll probably head back after the first cluster has been snagged. :o

Edited by TFTC

redx.jpg

32°56.262, 117°6.080

PassingWind and I will be exploring one of the longest tunnels in north San Diego, possibly 1-2 miles, and finding a good spot for a cache placement.  The pic is from the tunnel entrance that I scouted with my kids...girls 13 & 10 years old!  You can't be scared if a 10 year old girl will go, can you?  :o

Yeah, we're still on. I'm not 100% sure who all is coming but I'll be there at 8am. Final call on weather will be made that morning. Some weather reports have the rain starting Saturday PM into Sunday so I'm hoping its OK.

Email me for more info or my cell number if you wanna call the day of.

Unless there is a group doing Stone Ruination I am going to come do this with you all. I figure there are about a million caches up there I havent gotten so if your event is cancelled then I can go and find the above ground ones.

Kool, is it bike-able?

Let me know if you go, Chuy. I'm in. Since I normally get up at 4:30 anyway, 6 or earlier is fine with me.

-----------Snake.

Kool, is it bike-able?

Let me know if you go, Chuy. I'm in. Since I normally get up at 4:30 anyway, 6 or earlier is fine with me.

-----------Snake.

This is on Monday.......right? Sure hope so as I would like to tag along.......love doing the caches.....keeps me on my feet!!!! Next marathon........I'm not sure but I will be ready :o

Kool, is it bike-able?

-----------Snake.

John and I are up for 6:00 am or earlier also...the best part of the day. We'll watch the weather...I know if it rains Chuy is going north for micros..

Going to the desert on Sunday......

For those of you who want to torment yourselves a little more some of us are heading to the desert tomorrow.......I will be at the park and ride at Main and Marshall just off the I-8 to the south at 0800 (8am to non-military) and we will be at the Ramona K Mart Park and Ride at 0900. We will stop to pick up Duganrm and Rogue.

Join us if you would like.......we are aiming for the Blair valley ones as we were not at the campout a few years ago.

For those of you who want to torment yourselves a little more some of us are heading to the desert tomorrow.......I will be at the park and ride at Main and Marshall just off the I-8 to the south at 0800 (8am to non-military) and we will be at the Ramona K Mart Park and Ride at 0900. We will stop to pick up Duganrm and Rogue.

Join us if you would like.......we are aiming for the Blair valley ones as we were not at the campout a few years ago.

Shoot! You're going right through my neck of the woods and I can't go. I have to go to a family function. (A five year old's birthday at Nickle City)

For those of you who want to torment yourselves a little more some of us are heading to the desert tomorrow.......I will be at the park and ride at Main and Marshall just off the I-8 to the south at  0800 (8am to non-military) and we will be at the Ramona  K Mart Park and Ride at 0900. We will stop to pick up Duganrm and Rogue.

Shoot! You're going right through my neck of the woods and I can't go. I have to go to a family function. (A five year old's birthday at Nickle City)

WOW tell the lucky 5 year old........happy birthday!!!!!!

Sorry to say, I'm not sure I can go anywhere tomorrow - family committments.

I'll now by tonight. It's sunny in Lakeside! Roads should be driveable. I went out to Jamul to grab some of the new puzzles and the roads were relatively dry.

The Steele Bridge parking area might be a good place to meet, or the movie theatre to the north might be safer to park. Let me know what time you will meet and I will try and make it, but I just can't commit at the moment.

Hey All!

Just to give you ample time to mark it on your calendars: the TDS Jeep Safari is March 4th. I'll post some more information when it arrives. Definite 4WD necessary! It's all there - straight stock to highly modified vehicles. Last year there were over 1600 registered off-roaders. Pretty cool if you just want to sit in the wash and watch them go by, or join in the fun! It's at Truckhaven out by the Salton Sea.

Hope to see you there!

Robyn :)

OK SDCET, I'd really like to do an outing to Palomar and the Barker Valley trail!

That looks like fun! Mostly walking - no 4-wheeling?

Oh, hehe - just read the description for Hi Point Lookout. B)

Edited by TFTC
OK SDCET, I'd really like to do an outing to Palomar and the Barker Valley trail!

Just read the description on one of Parsa's new caches out there:

"Jerry Schad lists this as one of the best hikes for wildlife in the county."

Also Hi Point Lookout Tower has been on my "Someday List" for a long time!

Here is a map of the area:

485eeaee-a32f-4166-8e16-fdcdd40c57ea.jpg

Some of the roads on your route are blocked. Palomar Divide from 79 South goes all the way to Chuy and Duncan's Observatory cache, and then you hit a gate that keeps you from going farther. Also, Oak Grove Road was gated when we went up there, but you could exit by either returning the way you came in from 79, or by going down Highpoint Road. Now that's a road you won't sleep going down!

On the plus side, the views are great and it's a fun caching expedition.

[snip]

Some of the roads on your route are blocked. Palomar Divide from 79 South goes all the way to Chuy and Duncan's Observatory cache, and then you hit a gate that keeps you from going farther. Also, Oak Grove Road was gated when we went up there, but you could exit by either returning the way you came in from 79, or by going down Highpoint Road. Now that's a road you won't sleep going down!

Thanks S&R!

OK new plan:

9615bdf2-d784-4fab-8316-1ba5a28a5300.jpg

This would give us more time to explore the Barker trail!

I have two small ammo boxes that are waiting to be hidden! :lol:

P.S. No more DH roads unless somebody comes with a Jeep! ;)

Edited by TrailGators

[snip]

Thanks S&R!

OK new plan:

9615bdf2-d784-4fab-8316-1ba5a28a5300.jpg

This would give us more time to explore the Barker trail!

I have two small ammo boxes that are waiting to be hidden! ;)

P.S. No more DH roads unless somebody comes with a Jeep! ;)

Make it on the day I can come and I will be there with a jeep.......it is the only vehicle I have right now :P:P (that did not count as a number statement did it????? :lol:;)

Make it on the day I can come and I will be there with a jeep.......it is the only vehicle I have right now  ;)

I'm not sure if your Liberty would make it down the Highpoint trail. Are you going to McGinty on Sunday?

I could try.......I am going on Sunday. MIragee says the McGinty's caches are so nice to find.....many of them and the terrain is great I am looking forward to it.