San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Anyhoooo Double Peak hike on Saturday:

Whoever wants to go meet us at Discovery Lake at 8AM.

Well, I found the flaw in relying on uploading photos to GC.com - the resizing!! Here's a nice topo GE overlay of the area, which got shrunk when I uploaded it! :rolleyes:

6b7d8f70-a3a9-482b-8776-2845a163ddc1.jpg

Well, I found the flaw in relying on uploading photos to GC.com - the resizing!! Here's a nice topo GE overlay of the area, which got shrunk when I uploaded it! :rolleyes:

There is no flaw. GC.com will leave your original picture size alone if the file size is less than 125 KB. If it is a larger file size, it will shrink the picture down to 600 pixels wide and often mess it up in the process. If you want them to come out large and better looking, do all of the resizing/compression off line to get the file size below 125 KB and them upload them. Here is an example of a large one I uploaded:

Shot of San G

4e84d00a-b75d-405f-ba4a-bba7fb240e93.jpg

Edited by RocketMan

Here's a piece of the topo I used as the overlay:

bc7e3ccb-28b5-4803-a118-c4b079574529.jpg

And a slice of the overlay in GE:

405175d6-015d-432b-bf70-c8aa31ba7d76.jpg

There is no flaw. GC.com will leave your original picture size alone if the file size is less than 125 KB. If it is a larger file size, it will shrink the picture down to 600 pixels wide and often mess it up in the process. If you want them to come out large and better looking, do all of the resizing/compression off line to get the file size below 125 KB and them upload them. Here is an example of a large one I uploaded:

Shot of San G

4e84d00a-b75d-405f-ba4a-bba7fb240e93.jpg

BTW: If you have Photoshop, the Save For Web option on the File menu is the best way I have found to resize the photos. I set the JPEG compression to about 50% and then start lowering the width (keeping a constant aspect ratio) untill the displayed file size is less than 125KB. The Save For Web option is nice because it displays what the final file size will be without actually having to save it first.

Edited by RocketMan
There is now flaw.  GC.com will leave your original picture size alone if the file size is less than 125 KB.  If it is a larger file size, it will shrink the picture down to 600 pixels wide and often mess it up in the process.  If you want them to come out large and better looking, do all of the resizing/compression off line to get the file size below 125 KB and them upload them.

That's what I thought, but the original image is only 118KB - so it seems that there's some correlation to the actual compression used in the jpg as well. I can email you the image and you'll see what I mean. Because of all the detail in the topo and GE images, I had to compress it to 75% to get it under 120KB. GC.com must be checking the image size uncompressed or something. Most of the images I've uploaded I compress to about 20% to get them under 120KB. :rolleyes:

There is now flaw.  GC.com will leave your original picture size alone if the file size is less than 125 KB.  If it is a larger file size, it will shrink the picture down to 600 pixels wide and often mess it up in the process.  If you want them to come out large and better looking, do all of the resizing/compression off line to get the file size below 125 KB and them upload them.

That's what I thought, but the original image is only 118KB - so it seems that there's some correlation to the actual compression used in the jpg as well. I can email you the image and you'll see what I mean. Because of all the detail in the topo and GE images, I had to compress it to 75% to get it under 120KB. GC.com must be checking the image size uncompressed or something. Most of the images I've uploaded I compress to about 20% to get them under 120KB. :rolleyes:

That sounds strange. I have never seen GC.com do any tweaking to my photos that are under 125K no matter what I set the compression to. That would be good if you could send me the file that you are uploading so I can give it a shot. Please send it to igeocache@gmail.com.

Where are you uploading the image to (Your Profile or a Cache Log). It used to be that you could only load images under 100K and there was no resizing. After Jeremy added the resizing for larger images, things were initially messed up where images uploaded to cache pages all got resized and ones on cache logs only got resized if over 125K. I wonder if something is messed up again.

Edit: I did a quick search. Here is where I brought up the cache page resizing problem and here is where I describe the resizing method (this was from when the limit was still 100K).

Edited by RocketMan
Where are you uploading the image to (Your Profile or a Cache Log). It used to be that you could only load images under 100K and there was no resizing. After Jeremy added the resizing for larger images, things were initially messed up where images uploaded to cache pages all got resized and ones on cache logs only got resized if over 125K. I wonder if something is messed up again.

I just emailed it to you - I've been uploading them to my cache itself - not a log or my profile. :rolleyes: This is the first time I've had this happen as well.

Where are you uploading the image to (Your Profile or a Cache Log).  It used to be that you could only load images under 100K and there was no resizing.  After Jeremy added the resizing for larger images, things were initially messed up where images uploaded to cache pages all got resized and ones on cache logs only got resized if over 125K.  I wonder if something is messed up again.

I just emailed it to you - I've been uploading them to my cache itself - not a log or my profile. :) This is the first time I've had this happen as well.

Wow, it did the same thing to me when I uploaded it to the cache page and to the a log. Here is the image you sent me (uploaded somewhere else):

getopo_doublepeak.jpg

and here is how GC changes it:

01a66217-513d-4880-84c9-e3c6617f4af1.jpg

Wow, it did the same thing to me when I uploaded it to the cache page and to the a log. Here is the image you sent me (uploaded somewhere else):

Thanks for uploading it elsewhere! So it doesn't work on a log either - strange. Maybe there's an upper limit on the width (mine is 1075 vs yours 1000) and height that is undocumented.

Wow, it did the same thing to me when I uploaded it to the cache page and to the a log.  Here is the image you sent me (uploaded somewhere else):

Thanks for uploading it elsewhere! So it doesn't work on a log either - strange. Maybe there's an upper limit on the width (mine is 1075 vs yours 1000) and height that is undocumented.

Something is strange with the way that the file size is reduced on your image. When I open it in Photoshop and do a Save For Web, it shows your same 70% compression that you have used and the same dimensions, but it says the resulting file size will be 176.6 KB which would cause resizing when uploaded.

8b83ccb3-35c3-4996-b09d-c3e99f359672.jpg

Edit: I did a couple of tests and it is the compression factor that is causing the resizing. The 70% compression on the Save For Web image above is actually 70% uncompressed. If I save the file with that number at 25% to get the equivalent 75% compression that you used and then upload the image, GC.com resizes it. There must be some limit on compression that GC.com allows. I learned something new. I always use 50% or less compression and it works fine.

Crap, it's getting late. I'm going to bed. Night all.

Edited by RocketMan
Something is strange with the way that the file size is reduced on your image. When I open it in Photoshop and do a Save For Web, it shows your same 70% compression that you have used and the same dimensions, but it says the resulting file size will be 176.6 KB which would cause resizing when uploaded.

Got me! Mine looks like this:

3deed188-3840-4c31-90a7-e82224784ca2.jpg

I'll play around and maybe figure out what the limits are using my software (Corel PHOTO PAINT). I'll probably continue this on the Banter thread once I have a better idea! :) Thanks again for getting the full sized version to show up here!

Something is strange with the way that the file size is reduced on your image.  When I open it in Photoshop and do a Save For Web, it shows your same 70% compression that you have used and the same dimensions, but it says the resulting file size will be 176.6 KB which would cause resizing when uploaded.

Got me! Mine looks like this:

3deed188-3840-4c31-90a7-e82224784ca2.jpg

I'll play around and maybe figure out what the limits are using my software (Corel PHOTO PAINT). I'll probably continue this on the Banter thread once I have a better idea! :) Thanks again for getting the full sized version to show up here!

After sleeping on it and thinking about it this morning, I think that maybe there is a bug in the GC.com image handling routine. I will post something in the main forums later today and see what TPTB have to say about it. RM

Why don't we all do Compromising Positions!  :P

that one is on my ignore list. :D

Here my unfounds in that area....

I actually have one there that you don't. :D

Guess I should start looking at the area since I was originally thinking the area was much closer to the 5. I didn't know it was that close to the 15.

FYI, you can drive up a paved road to the icon at the bottom of this photo - that's the end of the pavement - a dirt road continues NE beyond that (with no gates) but I didn't have time to see where it went.

[snip]

I figured we'd hit "On the Road to Double Peak" on the way up from Discovery Lake. That way we'd be doing the hike the way Tuna laid out back in early 2001. I thought it would be cool to do it that way! Why not add some nostalgia! As it turns this hike should be easier (800 feet up) than Iron Mountain (1000 feet). I didn't think Iron Mountain was too bad (at my easy pace)! Also there is a parking lot at Discovery Lake that which is a better spot for the 6-7 vehicles that are showing up..... :laughing:

It is interesting to note that the Double Peak cache is almost five years old (as of 1/13/06)! It is the oldest active cache in San Diego! :anibad:

Edited by TrailGators
I figured we'd hit "On the Road to Double Peak" on the way up from Discovery Lake. That way we'd be doing the hike the way Tuna laid out back in early 2001. I thought it would be cool to do it that way! Why not add some nostalgia! As it turns this hike should be easier (800 feet up) than Iron Mountain (1000 feet). I didn't think Iron Mountain was too bad (at my easy pace)! Also there is a parking lot at Discovery Lake that which is a better spot for the 6-7 vehicles that are showing up..... :anibad:

I'm all for nostalgia! I happened to be on the ugly side of the mountain and was checking it out - UGLY!! :laughing:

I just did an estimate of the distance from my house to the trailhead for the "TrailGators 1000th-Cache Event" and it is more than 50 miles from my house . . . :mad:

Does anyone who is driving up live in the Rancho San Diego/La Mesa/El Cajon/Santee/Lakeside area?

Although, I'm not sure I can get up early enough to make it to the 8:00 start time :anibad: even if there is someone to carpool with . . . :laughing:

Edit . . . oops

Edited by Miragee
I just did an estimate of the distance from my house to the trailhead for the "TrailGators 100th-Cache Event" and it is more than 50 miles from my house . . . :mad:

Does anyone who is driving up live in the Rancho San Diego/La Mesa/El Cajon/Santee/Lakeside area?

Although, I'm not sure I can get up early enough to make it to the 8:00 start time :anibad: even if there is someone to carpool with . . . :laughing:

I will probably be coming south to Poway Road since it is an easier road to drive when I am half asleep. I can pick you up on either freeway (67 or 15) of it if you can't find anyone farther south. (will only save you the last few miles though)

I just did an estimate of the distance from my house to the trailhead for the "TrailGators 100th-Cache Event" and it is more than 50 miles from my house . . . :anibad:

I had my 100th cache event over a year and half ago.... :mad:

Hey Miragee, I drove all the way down to your neck of the woods the last two weeks and I was driving my gas guzzler truck! :laughing:

Edited by TrailGators
I had my 100th cache event over a year and half ago....  :mad:

Hey Miragee, I drove all the way down to your neck of the woods the last two weeks and I was driving my gas guzzler truck! :laughing:

:anibad: Sorry about that. Of course I meant 1000th-Cache Event! :mad:

I won't go into details, but I think you can afford the gas more than I can . . . :huh:

What time will you be at Poway Road and 67?

By the way, P.T. and I got caught in the traffic jam from that location south last evening because of the fatal accident that occurred at Slaughterhouse Canyon Rd. and 67. :anibad: It took us 45 minutes to cover that distance.

I was thinking about 7:20am since I figure it would take about a half hour to get there. I would recommend a good jacket since I don't have a heater. :laughing:

Rogue got caught going south in that accident on the way to class.

I was just reminiscing about my trip up Double Peak with fkrexcal over 3 years ago.  We met MissMarbles for the first time on that trip.  Anyone heard from her lately?

[snip]

I noticed that you took the Andy Griffith CD. Isn't that still one of your favs? :anibad:

But seriously thanks for posting the photos! Saturday should be fun! :laughing:

Edited by TrailGators
I was just reminiscing about my trip up Double Peak with fkrexcal over 3 years ago.  We met MissMarbles for the first time on that trip.  Anyone heard from her lately?

[snip]

I noticed that you took the Andy Griffith CD. Isn't that still one of your favs? :laughing:

But seriously thanks for posting the photos! Saturday should be fun! :anibad:

I thought it might be cool, but it sucked! :mad:

No Gomer or Goober songs? :mad:

OK slight change of course...I couldn't resist going after John&Jess's new puzzle cache in Escondido tonight.

I finally figured that one out tonight so I will need to swing by on Saturday if I get a chance. Still hitting myself in the head for making that one harder than it should have been. :laughing:

OK slight change of course...I couldn't resist going after John&Jess's new puzzle cache in Escondido tonight.

I finally figured that one out tonight so I will need to swing by on Saturday if I get a chance. Still hitting myself in the head for making that one harder than it should have been. :laughing:

It's an easy one to grab!

Edited by TrailGators
Is there still a group meeting at Discovery Lake tomorrow morning at 8? Can you use one more person?

Yes we are! The more the merrier! ;)

These are the geocachers and geodogs that said they are coming (so far): Tinfoil and Wall-Eyed Nutbag, Duganrm and Kaida, Miragee, Ahimsa, Jess and Becca, Toby's Gang and me. Hopefully, I didn't inadvertantly leave out somebody or somebody's dog.......

Edited by TrailGators
Is there still a group meeting at Discovery Lake tomorrow morning at 8? Can you use one more person?

Yes we are! The more the merrier! :back:

These are the geocachers and geodogs that said they are coming (so far): Tinfoil and Wall-Eyed Nutbag, Duganrm and Kaida, Miragee, Ahimsa, Jess and Becca, Toby's Gang and me. Hopefully, I didn't inadvertantly leave out somebody or somebody's dog.......

at this point it looks like Miragee won't make it. ;) She let me know so I don't sit at Poway Road waiting for her.

Looks like I will be be attempting to find you guys as well.  Finally got the query to run so I now have the caches.  Is it best to approach from Escondido or Oceanside?  Comming from the border I have a choice.  Jack

Escondido. Take the 15 to the 78.

...to Twin Oaks(s) to Craven(w) to Foxhall(s)....say don't we all have GPSs? :huh:

Somone from out of town posted a note on The Forbidden Forrest. Figured it would get it a litte more attention if I posted it here.

I noticed that a lot of folks are watching this cache, so I decided to post an invitation.

A friend and I will be trying for this cache on Monday, December 12, in the evening (time not set yet). Drop me an email if you are interested in joining us. FYI - My friend has completed this cache before, I have not.