San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

:ph34r: After my last adventure attempting to find a PassingWind cache, I'm not so sure I'm ready to attempt another one . . . ;)

We should do them as a group cache. I have a feeling Flagman would like to go back also. :D

We've done two of the four Ramona peaks. Just need Gower and this one. I noticed the Cuyamaca's (South, Middle and North peaks) in the backgroud. I bet those are awesome!

:ph34r: After my last adventure attempting to find a PassingWind cache, I'm not so sure I'm ready to attempt another one . . . ;)

Hmm, I see what you mean, if he underrates his caches by a star and this is a 4.5 star.... :D:lol::mad::D

I bet his 4 stars is right! 4.5 is the limit since 5 is reserved for special equipment (which I think it stupid...now that they have attributes). Woodson is rated 3.5 stars. But that hike is much harder coming up from the Lake Poway side. Maybe from the easy side it's a 3?

;) After my last adventure attempting to find a PassingWind cache, I'm not so sure I'm ready to attempt another one . . . :D

Hmm, I see what you mean, if he underrates his caches by a star and this is a 4.5 star.... :lol:;):D:mad:

I'm willing to go back up to the Indian Head Peak because after looking at the track of our search, I think our GPSrs were pointing in the wrong direction.

d342d895-8fef-4223-8eee-cb809bf6f25b.jpg

FlagMan says he thought he could have gotten up to the right level.

Well, the options we saw where our search was centered didn't give me that confidence at all. :o

Making an eight-mile hike to a even-more-difficult hide is not on my to-do list . . . Sorry, PassingWind. :ph34r:

I bet his 4 stars is right! 4.5 is the limit since 5 is reserved for special equipment (which I think it stupid...now that they have attributes). Woodson is rated 3.5 stars. But that hike is much harder coming up from the Lake Poway side. Maybe from the easy side it's a 3?

If someone could get the key to the gate, you could turn Woodson into a 1.5 star (still don't think you could do it in a wheelchair). :ph34r: Woodson from the highway 67 side is the one hike I would say most could make in the dark with no problems. It is hard to get lost on a paved road... I have hiked it a few times at night.

Here is a Google Earth view of the hike up to Double Peak (GC140) from Discovery Lake.

c29d6e46-d650-44f5-8a4a-2ddbd5b153be.jpg

In this view I colored the trail up in blue and then I colored a possible trail down in yellow.

If we take this trail from the top we can hit the remaining 3 caches in the area on the way back down....

b9fe9b58-697b-49b8-9193-964f9fb17060.jpg

We could leave a vehicle somewhere down by Lake San Marcos to shuttle us back to Discovery Lake.

I'll try to find out where the best spot would be....

......unless somebody knows......

Edited by TrailGators
Here is a Google Earth view of the hike up to Double Peak (GC140) from Discovery Lake.

In this view I colored the trail up in blue and then I colored a possible trial down in yellow. If we take this trial from the top we can hit the remaining caches that are near this mountain on the way back down.

We could leave a vehicle somewhere down by Lake San Marcos to shuttle us back to Discovery Lake. I'll try to find out where the best spot would be....

WOW looks grand.......sure wish I could come with you all.......oh well!!!! I wish you all well

In this view I colored the trail up in blue and then I colored a possible trail down in yellow.

If we take this trail from the top we can hit the remaining 3 caches in the area on the way back down....

We could leave a vehicle somewhere down by Lake San Marcos to shuttle us back to Discovery Lake.

I'll try to find out where the best spot would be....

......unless somebody knows......

If I remember correctly in one of the early logs someone mentioned being at the cache sight on double peak and a 4wheeler came by, it might be something to look into

If I remember correctly in one of the early logs someone mentioned being at the cache sight on double peak and a 4wheeler came by, it might be something to look into

I think maybe you used to be able do that. You can drive to the east side of it via Attebury road to GCMMCQ. It looks like this chops the vertical down to about 400 feet. You can drive to the south side of via San Elijo Road possibly to GCMMCQ, but it may be gated off. If you hike from Discovery Lake it is about 1000 feet up from there. It is about 1.2 miles from the "On the Road to Double Peak" cache.

e1488f8c-6c1b-40f7-9afb-e1f3ff6914af.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about doing Double Peak for my 1K. I think I'd like to do a cache that has a view for my 1K! Caches with views are the main reason I got into caching in the first place. Also I think this cache is the oldest active cache in San Diego so that makes this cache a special find as well! :unsure: So if anyone wants to come along Saturday let me know! The more the merrier! :P

That is a good hike. Even better on a M/B! My Double Peak Log Enjoy a good hike on Saturday. Take lots of photos. I just had one of my view shots appear on the GC main page! Cache you on the next event.

I'm seriously thinking about doing Double Peak for my 1K. I think I'd like to do a cache that has a view for my 1K! Caches with views are the main reason I got into caching in the first place. Also I think this cache is the oldest active cache in San Diego so that makes this cache a special find as well!  :D So if anyone wants to come along Saturday let me know! The more the merrier!  :P

Hey Trailgators! We might be interested in joining you. I'm not sure if we missed the thread regarding the start time? These San Diego Threads move so fast! :)

Depending on the start time, and estimated length of hike, we might be able to go on Saturday. Wall-Eyed Nutbag might have to work later that afternoon, but we might be able to do the hike beforehand. Let us know what you think.

Tinfoil-Hat Head & Wall-Eyed Nutbag

:unsure: & :)

I'm seriously thinking about doing Double Peak for my 1K. I think I'd like to do a cache that has a view for my 1K! Caches with views are the main reason I got into caching in the first place. Also I think this cache is the oldest active cache in San Diego so that makes this cache a special find as well!  :) So if anyone wants to come along Saturday let me know! The more the merrier!  :P

Hey Trailgators! We might be interested in joining you. I'm not sure if we missed the thread regarding the start time? These San Diego Threads move so fast! :D

Depending on the start time, and estimated length of hike, we might be able to go on Saturday. Wall-Eyed Nutbag might have to work later that afternoon, but we might be able to do the hike beforehand. Let us know what you think.

:unsure: & :)

Sounds great! I hadn't really set the time yet....I'm thinking around 8AM. Anyhow, I'm still trying to figure out if and where we could leave a car to shuttle us back to Discovery Lake from the west side if we go all the way to GC2205......

We could just skip that one and then hike back to Discovery Lake after hitting GCMTAT....

The SDGCC is meeting for dinner at Oggis Pizza and Brewery at the North County Fair mall @ 1830 tomorow (Wednesday). It is on the backside of the mall facing the parking lot....all are welcome...If you are not into coins you can be into the beer. B);):unsure::P:):):DB)

too bad I am not into the coins or beer. :P

The SDGCC is meeting for dinner at Oggis Pizza and Brewery at the North County Fair mall @ 1830 tomorow (Wednesday). It is on the backside of the mall facing the parking lot....all are welcome...If you are not into coins you can be into the beer.    B)  ;)  :unsure:  :P  :)  :)  :D  B)

How about the pizza? :P

I'm seriously thinking about doing Double Peak for my 1K. I think I'd like to do a cache that has a view for my 1K! Caches with views are the main reason I got into caching in the first place. Also I think this cache is the oldest active cache in San Diego so that makes this cache a special find as well!  :unsure: So if anyone wants to come along Saturday let me know! The more the merrier!  :P

Hey Trailgators! We might be interested in joining you. I'm not sure if we missed the thread regarding the start time? These San Diego Threads move so fast! B)

B) & :)

Sounds great! I hadn't really set the time yet....I'm thinking around 8AM. Anyhow, I'm still trying to figure out if and where we could leave a car to shuttle us back to Discovery Lake from the west side if we go all the way to GC2205......

We could just skip that one and then hike back to Discovery Lake after hitting GCMTAT....

We will know more about Wall-Eyed Nutbag's work schedule late tonight, but his schedule probably won't be finalized until tomorrow night. So continue planning the hike as you would like to do it, and we will let you know his work situation late tomorrow night. We'd really like to join you on this one! :):D

Tinfoil

The SDGCC is meeting for dinner at Oggis Pizza and Brewery at the North County Fair mall @ 1830 tomorow (Wednesday). It is on the backside of the mall facing the parking lot....all are welcome...If you are not into coins you can be into the beer. B);):unsure::P:):):DB)

I have 3 coins! Call me a noob! :P

What you guys do at these things besides drink beer at look at C4s 700 pound gorilla coin collection! :P

The SDGCC is meeting for dinner at Oggis Pizza and Brewery at the North County Fair mall @ 1830 tomorow (Wednesday). It is on the backside of the mall facing the parking lot....all are welcome...If you are not into coins you can be into the beer.    B)  ;)  :unsure:  :P  :)  :)  :D  B)

What you guys do at these things besides drink beer at look at C4s 700 pound gorilla coin collection! :D

Wow, maybe if I drink enough beer, my two coins will begin to look like an entire four in my collection! :P You know, seeing double and all! :P

Will those folks that ordered a screw coin be able to get those that night?

Tinfoil

[snip]

We will know more about Wall-Eyed Nutbag's work schedule late tonight, but his schedule probably won't be finalized until tomorrow night. So continue planning the hike as you would like to do it, and we will let you know his work situation late tomorrow night. We'd really like to join you on this one! :unsure::P

Tinfoil

Look forward to possibly meeting you and Wall-Eyed Nutbag!

Sorry but that name cracks me up! :)

The only other Wall-Eye I ever met was a fish! :)

What you guys do at these things besides drink beer at look at C4s 700 pound gorilla coin collection! :D

Okay, you're a noob. :P

(What's a noob?) :P

D!

[snip]

We will know more about Wall-Eyed Nutbag's work schedule late tonight, but his schedule probably won't be finalized until tomorrow night.  So continue planning the hike as you would like to do it, and we will let you know his work situation late tomorrow night.  We'd really like to join you on this one!  B)  :D

Tinfoil

Look forward to possibly meeting you and Wall-Eyed Nutbag!

Sorry but that name cracks me up! B)

The only other Wall-Eye I ever met was a fish! B)

Well, we thought we needed crazy fun names to go with this crazy fun game!

Hope we can get it worked out so that we can meet you on Saturday. :)

We'll keep you posted.

Tinfoil

A Noob is meant as an offensive term towards someone who is not nessicarily new, and quite often is directed at someone that is |somewhat| experienced but at the same time stupid/disruptive and/or totally incapable of learning. A noob is almost always someone who thinks they're cool but obviously aren't.

B):D

I don't think it's always (or even generally) offensive - a "newbie" is someone who is new at something. But maybe a "noob" is different than a "newbie?" In any case, I don't think TrailGators was trying to offend himself! :)

A Noob is meant as an offensive term towards someone who is not nessicarily new, and quite often is directed at someone that is |somewhat| experienced but at the same time stupid/disruptive and/or totally incapable of learning. A noob is almost always someone who thinks they're cool but obviously aren't.

B)  B)

I don't think it's always (or even generally) offensive - a "newbie" is someone who is new at something. But maybe a "noob" is different than a "newbie?" In any case, I don't think TrailGators was trying to offend himself! B)

A "noob" is what my teenage kids call me! :D It better not be offensive or I'm taking them out to the woodshed!!

But seriously, it is short for "newbie." The way they use is to point out someone to their friends that doesn't "get it"! When I was a teenager my folks didn't "get it" and now it's my turn to not to "get it!" :)

Edited by TrailGators

B)  B)

I don't think it's always (or even generally) offensive - a "newbie" is someone who is new at something. But maybe a "noob" is different than a "newbie?" In any case, I don't think TrailGators was trying to offend himself! :D

A "noob" is what my teemage kids call me! B) It better not be offensive or they are going out to the woodshed!!

But seriously, it is short for "newbie." The way they use is to point out someone to their friends that doesn't "get it"! When I was a teenager my folks didn't "get it" and now it's my turn to not to "get it!" B)

Just don't let your kids get ahold of UrbanDictionary.com! Then your really in trouble.... :)

Edited by Caching Widow

B)  B)

I don't think it's always (or even generally) offensive - a "newbie" is someone who is new at something. But maybe a "noob" is different than a "newbie?" In any case, I don't think TrailGators was trying to offend himself! B)

A "noob" is what my teemage kids call me! :D It better not be offensive or I'm taking them out to the woodshed!!

But seriously, it is short for "newbie." The way they use is to point out someone to their friends that doesn't "get it"! When I was a teenager my folks didn't "get it" and now it's my turn to not to "get it!" :)

It apparently has a few meanings. The one that TG mentions is what I always thought it meant.

noob

B)  B)

I don't think it's always (or even generally) offensive - a "newbie" is someone who is new at something. But maybe a "noob" is different than a "newbie?" In any case, I don't think TrailGators was trying to offend himself! :D

A "noob" is what my teemage kids call me! B) It better not be offensive or they are going out to the woodshed!!

But seriously, it is short for "newbie." The way they use is to point out someone to their friends that doesn't "get it"! When I was a teenager my folks didn't "get it" and now it's my turn to not to "get it!" B)

Just don't let your kids get ahold of UrbanDictionary.com! Then your really in trouble.... :)

Funny - I was posting the Urban Dictionary definition as you were posting your message.

B)  B)

Funny - I was posting the Urban Dictionary definition as you were posting your message.

Actually the 1st definition (as in most recognized and accepted) in Urbandictionary.com sounds like my boys:

Noob: Shortened form of "newbie," the most hilarious insult ever invented, in which a person who uses a computer game too much is ridiculing one who does not, for being "new" at the game, which of course they once were. Generally speaking, the speaker of this "insult" is one who should be on the receiving end of most insults.

My daughter never called me that! B)

The SDGCC is meeting for dinner at Oggis Pizza and Brewery at the North County Fair mall @ 1830 tomorow (Wednesday). It is on the backside of the mall facing the parking lot....all are welcome...If you are not into coins you can be into the beer.    B)  :D  B)  :D  B)  :D  :D  B)

I have 3 coins! Call me a noob! B)

What you guys do at these things besides drink beer at look at C4s 700 pound gorilla coin collection! B)

Wow, maybe if I drink enough beer, my two coins will begin to look like an entire four in my collection! :) You know, seeing double and all! B)

Will those folks that ordered a screw coin be able to get those that night?

Tinfoil

The screw coins are supposed to arrive via FedEx tomorrow. If there are no hangups, I will have them with me tomorrow night! :D

I love what part of the 10th definition of noob says:

"Perhaps the easiest way to spot a noob is in their denial of their noob status. Many noobs deny they are noobs, which ultimately makes them more of a noob."

By the way, are you guys noobs?  :)

I AM NOT AN ANIMAL....I MEAN NOOB! B)

Edited by Duncan!
The SDGCC is meeting for dinner at Oggis Pizza and Brewery at the North County Fair mall @ 1830 tomorow (Wednesday). It is on the backside of the mall facing the parking lot....all are welcome...If you are not into coins you can be into the beer.    B)  :)  B)  B)  B)  :D  :D  :D

too bad I am not into the coins or beer. B)

How about the pizza? :D

pizza is something I like. :D

Rogue has class tomorrow night so it is my wander night. I guess I could come up after work but I would be late cause of traffic. Any good night caches for afterwords?

The SDGCC is meeting for dinner at Oggis Pizza and Brewery at the North County Fair mall @ 1830 tomorow (Wednesday). It is on the backside of the mall facing the parking lot....all are welcome...If you are not into coins you can be into the beer.    B)  :)  B)  B)  B)  :D  :D  :D

Rogue has class tomorrow night so it is my wander night. I guess I could come up after work but I would be late cause of traffic. Any good night caches for afterwords?

There's one in the mall. There is also another in the parking lot of the mall. J&J have a new one near the mall but I can't say where because it's a puzzle cache. There are a bunch over in Kit Carson park adjacent to the mall.

There's one in the mall. There is also another in the parking lot of the mall. J&J have a new one near the mall but I can't say where because it's a puzzle cache. There are a bunch over in Kit Carson park adjacent to the mall.

Any cliffs to fall off of or rocks to trip over?

I'm getting these threads mixed up...I meant to post this here! B)

Anyhoooo Double Peak hike on Saturday:

Whoever wants to go meet us at Discovery Lake at 8AM.

We'll start off by hiking up to GC81B, GCMRY0 and GCMM6Q.

Then we'll head up to GC140 on the top and enjoy the view!

After that we'll continue on to GCMT5G and GCMTAT.

Then we take the lower trail back to Discovery Lake.

a103298a-6462-4884-9067-df2d97816478.jpg

* It's about 5 miles roundtrip....

The SDGCC is meeting for dinner at Oggis Pizza and Brewery at the North County Fair mall @ 1830 tomorow (Wednesday). It is on the backside of the mall facing the parking lot....all are welcome...If you are not into coins you can be into the beer.    :lol:  :lol:  :P  :P  :P  :P  :lol:  :lol:

How about the pizza? :lol:

Looks like I will be available this evening. Just started looking at the caches right at the mall since I figure I really won't spend that much time afterwords searching (unless I find someone else is going to as well). I guess I should have done it at home since I have the Ornament Exchange cache already solved but sitting on my desk at home. :rolleyes:

Looks like I will be available this evening. Just started looking at the caches right at the mall since I figure I really won't spend that much time afterwords searching (unless I find someone else is going to as well). I guess I should have done it at home since I have the Ornament Exchange cache already solved but sitting on my desk at home. :rolleyes:

There are a few on the South side of Escondido that are easily done at night.

Beep Beep 2 is more fun at night, and really close.

There is also the 4 part "Enlightenment" series right in the area.

Edited by Cornerstone4