San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Thanksgiving morning mini cache-a-thon? Please post details.

PW

last I read it was 7am for the Sandy Creek Cowboy series. Everyone is supposed to meet at #3.

There is also the Proctor Valley Monster Project tomorrow nigh at 6pm. forgot the coordinates to meet at. I better print them up although the only cars parked down there should give it away (unless you are first there).

What is up with the Proctor Valley Monster cache?

Here is the last post from Princess Toadstool about it. I will try to be in the area early for other caches but I may have to leave quickly since we have tickets for the NIN concert (we won't discuss whether I want to go to that or not)..

Just a reminder:

Sunday November 20 at 6 p.m.

The Proctor Valley Monster Project (GCG0A2)

Meet on Proctor Valley road at N 32 40.253 W 116 55.393

Looking forward to an evening of fun!  :lol:

Inquiry:  Is the roadway asphalted there,  or just a dirt track?

Need to know before I wash the car this afternoon.  :lol:

from everybody I have talked to, it is dirt.

Yep, it is dirt all the way to those coordinates. Firm, hard packed, but washboardy in some places. Passenger Cars should not have a problem. Last time I was there, a vehicle with decent clearence could make it to the cache start without 4X4.

Hope everybody has a good time, I was going to come by, but my wife has to leave the house at 6:30 so I need to be home.

Let me know about the conditon of the container. I know it was deteriorating. If it still needs to be fixed, I may be able to get to it this week.

Let me know about the conditon of the container.  I know it was deteriorating.  If it still needs to be fixed, I may be able to get to it this week.

someone posted in the other thread that they were bringing an ammo can to replace it with.

OK. I owe thanks to somebody.

Thanks to Team Adelos for volunteering to replace the container. A regular size ammo can should work fine.

Anyone from North County thinking of heading down to Proctor Valley?  :(

I'd like to but I'm playing Dad today and running kids to school stuff, hockey games, etc. They always seem to plan that stuff whenever the Chargers are playing... ;) Anyhow, I wish this has been done on a Friday or Saturday night but I'll make it down there someday.....

Edited by TrailGators
Anyone from North County thinking of heading down to Proctor Valley?  ;)

I'd like to but I'm playing Dad today and running kids to school stuff, hockey games, etc. They always seem to plan that stuff whenever the Chargers are playing... ;) Anyhow, I wish this has been done on a Friday or Saturday night but I'll make it down there someday.....

If I don't make it tonite then maybe we can plan another excursion (and maybe hit some of the Otay Lakes/Sweetwater Res. caches in the afternoon) soon. I haven't hit any caches south of downtown yet mainly because I usually have the kids with me and that's a bit of a cruise for us. :(

Anyone from North County thinking of heading down to Proctor Valley?  ;)

If I don't make it tonite then maybe we can plan another excursion (and maybe hit some of the Otay Lakes/Sweetwater Res. caches in the afternoon) soon. I haven't hit any caches south of downtown yet mainly because I usually have the kids with me and that's a bit of a cruise for us. :(

Sounds good! I agree that when you come from this far it's better to make a day out of it!

If I don't make it tonite then maybe we can plan another excursion (and maybe hit some of the Otay Lakes/Sweetwater Res. caches in the afternoon) soon.  I haven't hit any caches south of downtown yet mainly because I usually have the kids with me and that's a bit of a cruise for us.  ;)

Sounds good! I agree that when you come from this far it's better to make a day out of it!

that was my plan for today... :( course that requires Rogue to actually get out of bed. ;)

If I don't make it tonite then maybe we can plan another excursion (and maybe hit some of the Otay Lakes/Sweetwater Res. caches in the afternoon) soon.  I haven't hit any caches south of downtown yet mainly because I usually have the kids with me and that's a bit of a cruise for us.  ;)

that was my plan for today... :( course that requires Rogue to actually get out of bed. ;)

Got a 4-day weekend next week! :) Turkey Day is out but Friday or Saturday would be good for me.....

Anyone from North County thinking of heading down to Proctor Valley? ;)

looks like I will be heading out in the next hour or two. I come out of Ramona but can come over to the 15 if someone wants a ride. I won't be able to do as many of the area caches as I would have liked though. ;)

Rogue isn't sure if she will be joining me or not. :(

looks like I will be heading out in the next hour or two. I come out of Ramona but can come over to the 15 if someone wants a ride. I won't be able to do as many of the area caches as I would have liked though. ;)

Rogue isn't sure if she will be joining me or not. ;)

I'm coastal - still debating whether to go today or maybe next weekend (possibly with TrailGators) and have the option of hitting a few more caches at the same time... :(

I'm coastal - still debating whether to go today or maybe next weekend (possibly with TrailGators) and have the option of hitting a few more caches at the same time... :(

my plan right now is to try and do both. ;) I probably won't have a good GPSr next weekend so meeting up with people may be my only chance for caching.

What is up with the Proctor Valley Monster cache?

I have already done Proctor Valley but this is a good chance to meet up with several cachers and start giving out our new smashed trackable pennies....wether you want one or not....check it out www.bra.geocoin.net.

Lori won't be there as she will be busy with the Sheriff Dept and what appears to be human remains that she found off Banner Grade this weekend.....details to follow. :( And Yes...we are already thinking of placing a cache there. ;)

This appears to be the next cache event - quoted from the San Diego Thread:

Finally!!!......THANKSGIVING DAY the SANDY CREEK COWBOY CACHES.

We will meet at 7am at the Sandy Creek Cowboy Cache #3 . That is the one that is in need of the ladder.  We will proceed from there. After putting them all on my GPS it looked like this was the closest to San Diego.......course I could be wrong but ........I have been wrong before but this is where we will start.

Look forward to seeing a whole lot of you there. Course even if you have done these you can come along to cheer or laugh !!!!! ;)  :(  ;)  :)

2.gifSandy Creek Cowboy Cache No. 3

69d14a9d-3a89-4d26-a859-f54d94e6a3e2.jpg

Please ignore my cryptic waypoint label!

Got back from Joshua Tree and found a new thread for San Diego.

Thanksgiving morning meet at Sandy Creek Cowboy Cache #3 ......please bring a ladder.........course we only need one but one is hard to get these days ;)

OOPS.....meet at 7am.......that will give us time to get some and get out of there for turkey later on.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME, YOUNG AND OLD.

And the rest (that I could find):

This sounds like a lot of fun, but at our usual pace, I'd probably find two (hopefully) before having to head back home! <_<

Make sure and do "La Fantasma de los Cruces" while at No. 3. All but No. 1 are very near a roadbed. No. 1 is a 2-1/2 mile round trip up along the PCT from Boulder oaks trailhead. Not all that steep however. Also don't be intimidated by road-sign restrictions as you head up past the ranch, you're only going in about four miles anyway.

Edited by SD Rowdies
This sounds like a lot of fun, but at our usual pace, I'd probably find two (hopefully) before having to head back home!  <_<

that is the good thing about going as a group. 20 people can find a cache a whole lot faster than a couple people can.

Don't go fast for those caches! Hurrying through an SCC cache would be like chugging a bottle of fine wine! <_<

I still need to do #3, #4 and #16....

This should help:

The World Famous Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches Bookmark List <_<

Thanks PW....easy now to make my pq.....for my gps and pda...b.r.a. <_<

Also, thanks Princess Toadstool for the Proctor Valley Monster Project meet up. If you got one of my coins while out there, there are ready to log in!!

Edited by blonds run amuck

(img snip)

Ok, thinking optimistically <_< , SCCC's + possible collateral cachage:

8f1b22a9-1616-459c-b704-918cbc57dafe.jpg

It'll take the better part of a day just to do the SCC caches....

What are all those caches west of the SCC caches? Is that a relatively new cluster?

Nice map by the way! Are you related to Rocket Man? He was our mapster!

Edited by TrailGators

What are all those caches west of the SCC caches? Is that a relatively new cluster?

looks like Bear Valley. Most of them looked like they were placed in May.

So, who is starting to think about carpooling yet? I will probably come down the 67 and then out the 8 so I could meet people anywhere in there....

Ha, it'll probably take us the better part of a year! <_<

The cluster appears to be in Bear Valley. No relation to RM - just becoming a pretty good Google Earthling! <_<

So, who is starting to think about carpooling yet? I will probably come down the 67 and then out the 8 so I could meet people anywhere in there....

OK, I'd like to hit SCC #3, #4 and #16 then hit Bear Valley then Proctor Valley Monster at dark. I can split off for Bear Valley so you guys can complete the SCC caches... I'd be coming down the 15 to the 8. I could zig over to 67 and come down that way too...

Edited by TrailGators

The cluster appears to be in Bear Valley. No relation to RM - just becoming a pretty good Google Earthling! <_<

For sure that cluster is along the Bear Valley loop.

Be careful about one road gate of the Bear Valley loop. If that gate is locked then all but four of the caches can be reached by starting from the Pine Valley trailhead and the other four can be scored from the Buckman Springs Road trailhead. All but one of the hides are very near the roadbed, the other a moderate uphill hike without bushwhacking.

The gate in question is at the top of the hill when coming in from Buckman Springs Road. Unfortunately that's the best starting point for low-clearance vehicles due to one rocky section of the road about halfway toward Pine Valley. However, I've driven it from the Pine Valley end in a 2WD Ford Explorer and got through by powering up and over the rocky spot in a hurry. Yeah, I know, I'm a cowboy and so I should have and did.

If you're lucky the topside road gate will be open but who knows when or why?

Edited by SD Rowdies

You're right! Each one of those clusters is a day!

BTW how did you change the icons? I made a map of all my finds for my profile page and wanted to change the icons and hide the text, but couldn't see the option to do that in Google Earth....

Edited by TrailGators

Be careful about one road gate of the Bear Valley loop. If that gate is locked then all but four of the caches can be reached by starting from the Pine Valley trailhead and the other four can be scored from the Buckman Springs Road trailhead. All but one of the hides are very near the roadbed, the other a moderate uphill hike without bushwhacking.

The gate in question is at the top of the hill when coming in from Buckman Springs Road. Unfortunately that's the best starting point for low-clearance vehicles due to one rocky section of the road about halfway toward Pine Valley. However, I've driven it from the Pine Valley end in a 2WD Ford Explorer and got through by powering up and over the rocky spot in a hurry. Yeah, I know, I'm a cowboy and so I should have and did.

Thanks for the tip Harmon! I can do moderate off-roading with my 4x4 Durango. Are all those Bear Valley caches doable in a day?

There is a Park and Ride at N32 49.691 W116 54.040....right off the 8 at Los Coches Road (by WalMart). There is a cache in that park and ride, BlockBuster View. I'll be driving my Xterra but will need to be back in town by noonish.

Edited by blonds run amuck

Thanks for the tip Harmon! I can do moderate off-roading with my 4x4 Durango. Are all those Bear Valley caches doable in a day?

Absolutely.

Many of them are practically drive-by finds placed by $kimmer & Mr. The Vulture, the Splashes, and T.R. Their intent was to provide a nice dirt-roading cluster without bushwhacking. Coordinates are good all along the way as well.

The thing to remember is that if you go in from the Pine Valley trailhead and encounter the locked road gate then you must retrace your route back to Pine Valley. Of course that's not so bad once your finds are scored.

No problem at all for your Durango.

Edited by SD Rowdies
BTW how did you change the icons? I made a map of all my finds for my profile page and wanted to change the icons and hide the text, but couldn't see the option to do that in Google Earth....

I'd be happy to share my Google Earth experience under the SD Banter topic so as to not drive all the SCCC info off this page before Thursday! But the bad news is that I had to write a program to do that. <_< If you know any programming languages that can manipulate a text file, you can do it too.

OK, I'd like to hit SCC #3, #4 and #16 then hit Bear Valley then Proctor Valley Monster at dark. I can split off for Bear Valley so you guys can complete the SCC caches... I'd be coming down the 15 to the 8. I could zig over to 67 and come down that way too...

Drats - too bad this is Thanksgiving day instead of one of the three following days! We have to be in Carlsbad by 1. <_<

I plan on meeting you all at SCC #3 with my 12 foot ladder unless someone else brings a 15 foot ladder.

I'll be driving my little truck and have room for one. However, I plan on starting at 6a, begining with HXXM. I also need to depart by 9a.

The yellow highlighted are my planned caches.

99bfb3f7-65f4-4b80-8989-4a1b71787f20.jpg

You're right! Each one of those clusters is a day!

Took a day to do Bear Valley........stopped and smelled the roses so to speak along the way.PLUS some are well hidden for a new cacher

Drats - too bad this is Thanksgiving day instead of one of the three following days! We have to be in Carlsbad by 1. <_<

I am sure we wont finish so it will be another day to grab more