Finding Caches "linearly"

ScottJ

Pardon me if this question is redundant. I did a reasonable amount of searching before asking it, but it's a tough search. There are a lot of ways to describe this.

I'm wondering if anyone's developed a tool or method for locating caches near a route, or even minimally near a line between two points.

This has come up several times, mainly during road trips. More recently, I've been looking for a way to list caches that are near the Silver Comet Trail, a rails-to-trails project in northwest Georgia. A series of small-radius pocket queries, merged and de-duplicated, would work. However, that would be very cumbersome, inelegant, and inefficient.

If anyone's come up with a nifty way to do this, or if there's already a facility out there for doing it, I'd love to know. Go ahead--make me feel stupid! :anitongue:

Thanks.

There's no easy way with Pocket Queries, short of the method you describe of a series of small-radius queries. However, if you use GSAK (gsak.net), it has point, line, polygon, and arc filters built in. You just need to create a database containing caches from the full area you're looking for, via Pocket Queries or whatever.