Found One Usgs Could Not.

Sagefox

This is the first time I've found a benchmark that USGS or other recovery people could not find. Maybe its common, maybe I'll have to watch them a bit more closely. This marker is very exposed, right where its supposed to be and has the correct markings.

It must have been covered by something in 1967. Maybe that something belonged to the adjacent bridge builder that stockpiles old railroad flatbeds here if he was in business in 1967. And maybe that is how the concrete pier was damaged. The pier is cracked and a bit wiggly but still solidly in place.

KT1147 California

I just found one the USGS didn't find, 51 years ago to boot. It wasn't a hard find, to be honest--it was not buried or hiding in any way. But some of the references were gone. I seriously doubt they were gone in 1954 though, so I am not sure what contributed to the not found at that time.

I returned to this spot 4 times before I finally located it. The first two times I relied too heavily on my GPSr, which put the mark well to the west of where it actually was. The 3rd time I tried to determine where some of the old reference points were. It was a hot , miserable summer day and the area I wanted to search was in high weeds, so I left. Finally, I returned a week ago, hoping the weeds were down.

Luckily there was ONE reference point that I knew still existed--the support for the caternary. I just had to figure out which one to measure from. My guess from the research I did (both on-site and using aerial photos) proved correct. I took two measurements I knew I could count on, at least partly. I measured 66 feet from the suspected pole, then 20 feet from the rail (I know track layouts change, but usually not a lot, and the presence of electric lines limited the amount of possible shift here). As I read off the increasing measurements on the tape, and go to 20 feet, there was the disk right under the tape. Too easy to be honest, but still a great find.

Bill,

More than the physical condition of the station is that the station and it's data must jibe in ensemble. The condition of both would be good at best, but you know... We don't always get that. Perhaps it was destroyed in error, who knows.

The man hours and budget needed to officially put this station back in action, if it is considered desirable to do so, and considering that NGS would need to be running a program in the area in order to re-include it to the database create a nearly perfect storm.

<evenfall reaches for his magic 8 ball> I got, "Don't Count on it."

Rob