Making My First Caching Trek

ThatXrayGuy

Hi. I'm obviously new to the forum as well as new to geocaching. I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Steve and I'm from Central Louisiana. I had never heard of geocaching until about two weeks ago. While doing some online research to buy my first GPS, to be used for hiking, I read several refrences to this thing called geocaching. After deciding on the Garmin eTrex Vista C I did some research on geocaching and thought "Hey this sounds cool!". So, here I am with five geocache waypoints downloaded to my GPS ready to give it a go tomorrow.

Seems like there are a lot of cool folks on this forum so I am looking forward to a great experience here. Thanks! :anibad:

Steve

I'm yet another very satisifed Vista C owner.

Welcome to the club Steve.

I have to agree with your comment about the people who post her. I've been a member of many, many different kinds of forums over the years. By far this is the most friendly bunch I've ever been a part of.

In the short time I've been reading the forums I've already seen the repetitive questions. I've yet to see anyone get upset at anyone for not doing their research first before posting. Any other forum you would see half the regulars slam the "noobie"

Good luck on your hunts. It's going to be halfway warm tomorrow here in Indy ( if you want to call 50 degrees warm ) and I plan on hunting a few myself tomorrow.

Have fun!

:anibad: HAHAHAHA :santa: You are soooo in trouble.

Sneaking out from work cause that cache is so close you can taste it.

Trekking out at midnight so you can be a FTF.

Spending money on gas, swag, Travel Bugs and containers to start your own cache.

Picking ticks out of your hair and off your clothing because you HAD to walk through that grove of downed trees.

Getting wet since that cache you are looking for is on the OTHER side of that creek.

Need I go on?... You'll get the idea.

Go get 'em!!

:o

:santa: HAHAHAHA :ph34r:  You are soooo in trouble.

Sneaking out from work cause that cache is so close you can taste it.

Trekking out at midnight so you can be a FTF.

Spending money on gas, swag, Travel Bugs and containers to start your own cache.

Picking ticks out of your hair and off your clothing because you HAD to walk through that grove of downed trees.

Getting wet since that cache you are looking for is on the OTHER side of that creek.

Need I go on?... You'll get the idea.

Go get 'em!!

:drama:

:anitongue: So true, so true. :ph34r:

And then you might find yourself searching for a cache like "Snail Rock" just because it's there. :ph34r:

Thanks again for all of your responses! It has taken a while for me to post an update because I had to return to work today.

The clouds started breaking up in the late morning and it turned out being a beautiful day <_< I had a great time even though I only found 2 of the 5 caches I was seeking. I can't get over the thrill of finding that first cache! I believe that finding the cache is only 1/3 of the fun though. The other 2/3 being getting there and enjoying some fresh scenery. Most of the caches are in places I never new existed <_<

After searching for the first cache for 45 mins I gave up and moved to the next, but not before taking some pics of the lake which was nearby. The second cache was very easy and I found it pretty quick. The third was easy, but would have been easier without all the muggles nearby. I had to be careful there. I have to laugh about #4 because I couldn't even figure out which road to take to get me to the general area :blink: I tried two different approaches, but couldn't even get anywhere near it. Finally I searched in the area of the fifth for 20 mins and had no luck. I had to be careful there as well because of muggles. Funny thing is somebody else found it the same day (yesterday). So, as you all can imagine, I'm ready to start planning my next trek :o This stuff is addictive! :o

Steve

Hi Steve

Yea I just started this craziness a couple weeks ago and now don't know how to stop.

Just a few miles from you (Natchez) and hid my first yesterday. (Waiting for approval) Good luck and I'm having probs too finding a couple very near me. But too hardheaded to ask for more clues. I'll try again a couple times before I give in. LOL

Stan56