The Big Bear Lake Thread

Badgerdawg

Bringing our kids up for some snowboarding Sunday and hope to do some caches while we are up that way.

Any reccomendations. I have done a pocket query but a word from the wise is worth so much more!!

ttfn

Jane

aka Silver Horde

I'm heading up there Sunday to take my kids snowboarding too. I'm also hoping to get some caching in sometime. I assume we'll need to keep to the low roads if there is very much snow left up there.

I think I heard another storm coming in on Monday...is that true?

Hey Silver Horde and Toby's Gang!

It goes without saying that most caches are "close to the ground", so if we get more snow, they won't be available. Right now, the sun is shining and the snow is melting quickly. Off the top of my head, these caches should be ok to get...Stanfield Cutoff, Allure of Big Bear, Path to Enlighteningment, Sinker Swim, Walk On By, Shut Up And Ride, Read the Sign, HaZzMaTt Walking, Oh Dear, Kmart Cache. These are not on the ground. If I think of more, I'll add to the list.

If you happen to be on Hwy 18 going through Lucern, you can get Badgerdog 1-4, and Dr. Laura Cache. Hwy 18 doesn't stay snowy...

That's all for now! Have fun!

Hey Silver Horde and Toby's Gang!

It goes without saying that most caches are "close to the ground", so if we get more snow, they won't be available. Right now, the sun is shining and the snow is melting quickly. Off the top of my head, these caches should be ok to get...Stanfield Cutoff, Allure of Big Bear, Path to Enlighteningment, Sinker Swim, Walk On By, Shut Up And Ride, Read the Sign, HaZzMaTt Walking, Oh Dear, Kmart Cache. These are not on the ground. If I think of more, I'll add to the list.

If you happen to be on Hwy 18 going through Lucern, you can get Badgerdog 1-4, and Dr. Laura Cache. Hwy 18 doesn't stay snowy...

That's all for now! Have fun!

We only had time for 4 caches in between snowboarding, eating and shopping but we had a great time in Big Bear these last few days.

We may come up here for camping and mountain biking this summer so all of the caches will be fair game then.

...We will return...

Hey everyone! I havent been geocaching very much recently because I have been training for upcoming "sprint" adventure races! I know lots of geocachers are very active people so if you would like to train/race with me while grabbing some caches then I would enjoy the company! I usually mountain bike or run everyday, and judging by the weather I try to kayak as well. So if you want to race or just hit some caches with me while im training then send me an e-mail! (oh yeah anyone have an specialized epic for sale?)

Hiya! We're going to be up in Lake Arrowhead in early August (I know, we'll miss the event.) I'm getting overwhelmed looking at the maps so I was wondering if someone could tell me of an area with a series of fairly easy caches (we have 2 kids, one of whom is 4.) A 2-3 mile hike is about their limit, with a terrain of no more than 2.5.

Also, we'll be doing our 1000th cache up there. Is there a don't miss cache we can make our milestone??

Thanks for any help you can give us!!

:lol:

Hiya! We're going to be up in Lake Arrowhead in early August (I know, we'll miss the event.) I'm getting overwhelmed looking at the maps so I was wondering if someone could tell me of an area with a series of fairly easy caches (we have 2 kids, one of whom is 4.) A 2-3 mile hike is about their limit, with a terrain of no more than 2.5.

Also, we'll be doing our 1000th cache up there. Is there a don't miss cache we can make our milestone??

<_<

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE??? :blink::)

<_<

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE??? :unsure:;)

Post up your request here:

www.socalgeocachers.com

Hi pqcachers,

Sorry I haven't visited the forums lately...but the mtngirls have a lot of great caches in the crestline area, all are kid friendly. I haven't cached in Lake Arrowhead, but have always heard good things about the North Shore trail. Wish I could have been more help.

Now, WHY won't you be at the Big Bear Cache Bash II??????????? hhmmmm????? :laughing:

HWY 330 closure: Just to let everyone coming to our Big Bear Cache Bash II know the latest on HWY 330:

Our local paper states today that from Aug.21 through Sept. 4 Hwy 330 will be open 8am to 6pm with flagging and pilot car service.

Alternate routes are available: Hwy18 Crestline through Running Springs; Hwy 38 from Redlands; Hwy 18 from Lucerne.

Thanks and see you soon! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Hi pqcachers,

Sorry I haven't visited the forums lately...but the mtngirls have a lot of great caches in the crestline area, all are kid friendly. I haven't cached in Lake Arrowhead, but have always heard good things about the North Shore trail. Wish I could have been more help.

Now, WHY won't you be at the Big Bear Cache Bash II??????????? hhmmmm????? ;)

Thanks to the other forum and a couple of emails, we managed to snag 30 caches up there. That may not be a lot for most of you, but with a 4 and 9 year-old in tow, that's huge. We did the mtngirls series around Lake Gregory, a driving loop through Arrowhead and Blue Jay, and The View from Mt Sorenson for our 1000th. The North Shore Trail looks fun but too much for us at this point.

P.S. School is starting up soon so vacations are done for awhile. Have fun at the Bash!

Edited by pqcachers

I'm heading up to Big Bear on the 4th thru 6th. Going to do some camping and caching with my wife and 6 week old baby. Looking forward to doing the caches in the area! Our tentative plan is to camp at Serrano. I've been told we should be able to get a camping spot midweek no problem. There isn't a fire ban, is there? It looks like the Alpine trail is a good one to do, any other recommendations for us? We'll have to limit it to places we can carry the baby in a sling.

I'm heading up to Big Bear on the 4th thru 6th. Going to do some camping and caching with my wife and 6 week old baby. Looking forward to doing the caches in the area! Our tentative plan is to camp at Serrano. I've been told we should be able to get a camping spot midweek no problem. There isn't a fire ban, is there? It looks like the Alpine trail is a good one to do, any other recommendations for us? We'll have to limit it to places we can carry the baby in a sling.

If you cant get a spot at Serrano, then Hanna Flats is another somewhat nearby campground.

As for walking/hiking, the Woodland trail is another good choice there on the north shore.

Chipmunk Hill is one of the caches along that trail:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCVW32

If you venture to the south side of the lake, then there is the Bristlecone trail:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCXW5N

There are also tons of caches in town that are drive-up caches. Between all that, you should have plenty to do.

Almost forgot, fires are allowed at established campsites with fire rings. So yes, fires are allowed at Serrano and Hanna Flats campgrounds.

Edited by ShowStop

I forgot to post what an excellent time I had caching with my family in Big Bear. We got there on Monday as everyone else was leaving (and just as it stopped raining) so we found a campsite at Serrano no problem. Serrano gets some truck noise, but otherwise it's a great campground. We cached the Woodland Trail, which was excellent, we cached the Cougar Crest trail all the way to the peak, which was probably too long of a hike carrying a 7-week old, but the views were excellent. I cached a little on my own here and there, and then we all did the rest of the Alpine trail walking from the campsite.

Thanks much for the great caches up there! I think we got about 30 caches over the 3-days/2 nts. The area is beautiful and always worth a visit. I love those forests. Can't wait to go back, but it'll probably be a while.