Displaying Hidden Subcategories?

I have been trying to do a search by categories through the directory but do not get all of the subcategories that exists. I know this because the totals number of waymarks in the subcategories listed don't add up to the total number of waymarks shown for their parent category. I also get this message when trying to do this:

"There are subcategories containing waymarks that are not being displayed due to your filter (popularity or location) settings." :anibad:

For example, when I go to Places/Businesses/Restaurants, I only get "Classic BBQ & Sandwich Joints" and "Sushi Restaurants" listed as subcategories. How do I get "McDonald's Restaurants" also displayed?

The message says that this might be due to filter settings, yet as far as I know and all indications show that I have no filters turned on. Is this a bug in the website, am I doing something wrong, or is this a feature allowed only to Premium members?

Thank you to anyone who can answer this for me.

medoug.

Edited by medoug

It's working as intended. For non PMs, you are unable to set your popularity filter settings which filter out everything except the top 50% of rated listings. The idea was to reveal only the top rated categories to casual users. Without a large number of current categories, however, it isn't as helpful as it would be if (and when) we have a multitude of categories available.

With this said we'll be adding a link at the bottom that says something like "show me what I'm missing", that temporarily sets the page to show all of the categories. After clicking on the subcategory it will continue to filter at the current setting (50%). This will allow both PMs and non PMs to see the listings that are being filtered (whether by distance or popularity filter).

The granularity of popularity will only be available for Premium Members, but you can always open the curtain to see them all. I'm not sure when this feature will be available but it should be soon.

As with a beta these changes will occur based on feedback from the community. Thanks :anibad:

Nice solution. :anibad:

With this said we'll be adding a link at the bottom that says something like "show me what I'm missing", that temporarily sets the page to show all of the categories. After clicking on the subcategory it will continue to filter at the current setting (50%). This will allow both PMs and non PMs to see the listings that are being filtered (whether by distance or popularity filter).

I think it would also help if the error message could be different for members vs. non-members.

There are subcategories containing waymarks that are not being displayed due to your filter (popularity or location) settings.
There are subcategories containing waymarks that are not being displayed because you are not a Premium member. Show me what I am missing

That should reduce the confusion.