What Do You Keep Your Coins In?

The Blind Acorn

Hi

I'm beginning to collect more and more geocoins now. They are very nice, and I really enjoy peoples creativity and talents. I'm wondering what everyone carries their coins in or stores in them in. Right now I ony have three, but have several more on order and will soon need a way to get them nice and neat.

Good job on the coins everyone, I look forward to the opportunity to add to my collection.

Jen

:anibad:

Edited by The Blind Acorn

I tried the local coin stores, but they cater to storage solutions for money (obviously).

I started searching online and first tried Air-Tites. They are the 2 part round plastic cases with the white or black foam inserts. Works for about 90% of my coins. The odd shapes, large diameter, or extra thick coins just wouldn't fit. They are nice though. There are some very nice racks that will hold the Air-Tites for display on a wall or on a desk. I tried the Air-Tites in plastic sleeves in a 3 ring, but they kept falling out.

I have now gone to a 2 1/2" 'flip'; a sort of plastic pocket. Every coin I have so far will fit into this size flip, although some of the more 'exotic' shaped ones I may eventually come across may not fit. They fit real nicely into a 3 ring binder album with 12 coins per page. Everything stays nice and tight, it's portable to take to gatherings for show, and you can easily get to the coins if you want to. I have about 60 coins in the binder and it's starting to pick up some weight. I can see if I ever get to 100 I may need something with handles, a strap, or another binder.

Online you can try www.jpscorner.com/ for Air-Tites or flips. Also TheCachingPlace.com sells Air-Tites and albums for them.

Edited by Shasties
I have now gone to a 2 1/2" 'flip'; a sort of plastic pocket. Every coin I have so far will fit into this size flip, although some of the more 'exotic' shaped ones I may eventually come across may not fit. They fit real nicely into a 3 ring binder album with 12 coins per page. Everything stays nice and tight, it's portable to take to gatherings for show, and you can easily get to the coins if you want to. I have about 60 coins in the binder and it's starting to pick up some weight. I can see if I ever get to 100 I may need something with handles, a strap, or another binder.

Thanks for this info! I have been going nuts trying to find something that will work with a binder without the coins falling out. I tried airtights, but they would slide out. I will give the flips a try. :anitongue:

As I have posted in another thread, this was the best option for me.

coinbinder10.jpg

coinbinder08.jpg

coinbinder07.jpg

I can custom cut the foam to fit what ever shape coin comes along. I have a blade on a compass that lets me cut nice clean circles to just the right size.

I am how ever getting to to point where I'm going to have to get a second book. So the question is, do I seperate by date of coin release, state/personal, or some other method that I haven't come up with yet?

Nice set-up Jake. Looks really good. I like the handle on the binder. Makes it easy to carry. I have states in one area, events and others in another area, and personals in another. But that works for me. Yours may be different. I'm pretty anal about sorting and labeling and making sure everything is just perfect. The last meet and greet we were at one of the guys just brought a box with about 30 coins thrown loosely in it. The only reason he used a box is because they wouldn't all fit in his pockets anymore. I sometimes wish I didn't worry about it. :anitongue:

I can custom cut the foam to fit what ever shape coin comes along.  I have a blade on a compass that lets me cut nice clean circles to just the right size.

I am how ever getting to to point where I'm going to have to get a second book.  So the question is, do I seperate by date of coin release, state/personal, or some other method that I haven't come up with yet?

Where do you get those 9 pocket sheets, are they heavy duty?

Edited by iBrew

I can custom cut the foam to fit what ever shape coin comes along.  I have a blade on a compass that lets me cut nice clean circles to just the right size.

I am how ever getting to to point where I'm going to have to get a second book.  So the question is, do I seperate by date of coin release, state/personal, or some other method that I haven't come up with yet?

I get mine from The Caching Place , they are heavier that the ones I bought from the coin shop.

Edit

OOPS, these are 12 pocket sheets, sorry.

Edited by Damenace

The nine pocket sheet are available at any baseball card store.

The only problem with that setup is that the vinyl pockets continue to out-gas. Over time, it will leave a film over the coins.

If you buy the sheets with the flips from a coin store, the flips have a mylar film that protects the coin.

lol I was thinking of getting a mini treasure chest. Nice passingWind :unsure:

ARRGH- I be using such a Item already- a former Capt morgan chest with a period padlock on it.... have most my coins in diffrent size holders like these:

90921680_large.jpg

That doesn't include the odd shaped ones I just keep them in their plastic sleeve things

Edited by Capt Biggins

I like those pages, but I would use a zippered binder, just to play it safe. I would also put a page protector of some sort between the coin pages to keep the coins from "rubbing" against each other.

There are scrapbook pages that are similar in pocket size. With newer coins coming out with large and oddly shaped, I've decided to keep my baseball holders.