I Want It All

I'm starting to feel cranky about this whole thing. I've been looking, for years now, for a complete solution. Something that does true autorouting (with support for cross country type of route calculation), allows for truly paperless caching, can take a beating out there, has good battery life...

Why is this so hard in the modern world to come up with? I've been using my pocket pc phone via a bluetooth GPS with ok results, but the ruggedness and battery life are just scary to rely on too much.

I recently bought an eXplorist 600 with DirectRoute, and am really underwhelmed. Cost isn't a concern... someone please be my hero and point me to "the perfect GPS!"

Ok rant over. I feel a bit better now.

Well, I really like my eTrex Vista C. I like the small size to carry on hikes but it also auto-routes me very well when I get into town.

I have an inexpensive Palm M500 with a hard case. It has 1000 caches in it that I can search for depending on which direction I go. :rolleyes:

Having everything combined in one unit might be convenient, but the cost, for me and many other Geocachers, would probably be prohibitive.

Something that does true autorouting (with support for cross country type of route calculation), allows for truly paperless caching, can take a beating out there, has good battery life...

No such critter yet. The closest is probably the Garmin 76C or 76CS. The ample memory and good autorouting of Garmin maps takes care of your first requirement. The unit is about as rugged as a portable electronic device can be.

Sadly, "Geocaching Mode" is a rather poorly implemented approach to enable true paperless caching. The inexcusable 30 character limit in the description field makes it too small for hints or cache page descriptions, let alone the contents of prior logs.

Until they come up with more on-board memory (or an SD card) to enable users to add additional data, you'll need to add a PDA and CacheMate to your arsenal. As a small consolation, PDAs with enough functionality for CacheMate are cheap.

...you'll need to add a PDA and CacheMate to your arsenal...

Exactly what I'm using now (PPC and GPXSonar actually). For autorouting and cache finding I use Mapopolis with a bluetooth GPS.

Overall this solution works pretty well. Its just the battery life stinks (maybe 3 hours) and forget it if it were to slip outta my hand.

Edited by CacheCreatures

I know you want both things combined, but my Vista C lasts on one set of rechargeable batteries for more than 12 hours. And, of course I always have at least four fresh batteries with me.

In almost four years, only one time, when I got snowed in up in Idaho, has the battery on my Palm run down . . . :rolleyes:

The closest thing that I found as the solution to the original inquiry is the Garmin iQue 3600. It is a Palm PDA with the GPS, maps, and autorouting voice navigation integrated. With Cachemate installed it does all the things mentioned. BUT it does NOT meet this part: "can take a beating out there, has good battery life... ". Battery life sucks - less than 1 hour with the GPS antenna in use. It is definitely NOT rugged (I have the bills to prove it). If it slips out of your hand, it will probably not survive without serious damage.

If they could combine the GPSmap60 body with the iQue software and SD card, I would probably buy it.

This would be a good setup:

GPS Legend C with up to 36 hour battery life

Quest 2 GPS with full Preloaded NA Autorouting Maps

Palm m130 PDA with paid version of CacheMate - Can find cheap.

The loading of *.GPX Email downloads directly into Mapsource and Cachemate.

This would be a good setup.

I have only part of this setup because I have the 60C and not the Legend C, also

I don't have a Quest 2 GPS yet, but the other things I do have already.