Have We Reached The Saturation Point Already?

Solarflare

I'm planning on minting a trackable geocoin, either fully personal with the PC prefix or with the organisational prefix along with the custom icon. I've two questions.

(1) Have we reached the saturation point already, or would there be interest from non tram hobbyists too?

(2) Are there any tram freaks around, other than myself, that would be interested on such a coin for geocaching?

kolikko.png

The tracking side would look something like this. On the other side I'm planning to draw a four axle Karia-Valmet from 1959, which carries the unofficial finnish speed record of 62,2 Mph measured by the finnish police.

Is this a signature coin? One you would leave in caches to represent you or is it a Tram enthusiast coin that happens to be trackable which is the only geocaching tie in?

It looks like the latter which there is interest in, but is also the fastest growing part of geocoins (and which will likely reach saturation one of these days).

Edited by Renegade Knight

If it is trackable with a PC prefix, I will take one.

Since it's something you are enthused with, I will like it.

If it has it's own prefix and icon, I will take 3-5 pcs, and the SDGC will take another 10 at least.

I am at complete saturation on coins made just for the sake of making coins. Too many coins coming up that don't have any meaning at all, other than somebody spent a few bucks to make it.

I agree with the too many coins just for coins sake (or someone trying to make some $ because of the craze)

Personally I'm only interested in State coins for our visits there (getting some we haven't been to for use in trading for others we have been to and in anticpation of caching there) and then some others that have some relevance for us. The caninecachers coin for example.

when it comes to other personal coins, I'm not really interested unless I've met the cacher.

But that is just me, I'm here for the caching, not the coins. The coins are just some extra frills.

There is one current exception the personal coins... I am participating in the coin quest because I think that is a innovative way to distribute the coins to cachers.

-Mike

Not So Lost Puppies

Not sure how many I would buy, but I eagerly await your design on the other side of the coin.

Oh by the way, the car number 8 does actually involve geocaching too. On Tuesday, April 19, 2005 I drove that very car to the line end stop (in tram schooling) and then found the nearby cache, leaving a german geocoin as well. I think this makes a pretty good starting point for getting the coin design inspiration. :rolleyes:

I for one wish it would go back to the old days you know having a personal coin made to put in caches that you were really impressed with, and chasing them was big fun.

I don't collect coin icons so i could care less if it's trackable or not I think I'm in coin burn out phase. I liked the personal side it and I see that has gone by the way side.

I use to want every coin out there, not any more!

Not sure if I got off topic or not but I'm sure your little coin will atract plenty of attention for the hard core collectors.

Edited by Pepper

I think it has become way to saturated, and I can not keep up with the mentality of 'Gotta Have Them All!". I used to be able to keep up with the one coin every other day bit, but now coins are coming out 2-3 a day and they sell out in mere hours. But I only have to look as far as the mirror to find blame, because I too have added to this craze and will try to continue. My main focus has to shift from ALL COINS to SOME COINS especially gc.com trackable coins. I like state and organizational coins as well. As far as getting a shot at getting one of these coins, I am in.

(2) Are there any tram freaks around, other than myself, that would be interested on such a coin for geocaching?

Whats a tram????

I'll take 2. What the heck. I still have a couple of bucks left and I can always pick up some more over time at work.

:rolleyes:

Edited by GeoHills
I think it has become way to saturated, and I can not keep up with the mentality of 'Gotta Have Them All!". I used to be able to keep up with the one coin every other day bit, but now coins are coming out 2-3 a day and they sell out in mere hours....

I think Kilted Cacher's comments pretty much says it all. Yes, some people are backing off just because there are too many coins to try to get 'all of them'. But like he says, they sell out in a matter of hours. Sounds like a pretty strong market.

Although I will say having the 'right' coin helps. Good design is first and foremost. I, personally, like the more simple and elegant designs rather than something loaded down with 2 pounds of enamel. Some of the larger coins are nice, but they don't seem to sell as well as an 1 1/2" (49mm I believe) coin.

Mintings of 100 to 300 seem to sell a lot better than 1500. Special edition coins, such as pure silver, look great, but the cost is somewhat prohibitive. You sell fewer, but make more money. There must be a happy medium in there someplace.

And as was mentioned here, it's better if it has to do with caching. A lot of coins seem to be out there just for the sake of making a profit selling coins.

Trackable seems to add intrest, although it's at a cost to do this (as you know).

Like many other have posted, I too have passed on several coins because I felt there was either little or no connection with geocaching, or to the area it was claiming to represent, or because it was a geocoin made just to make a buck.

I don't see the connection with this one but if it's clearly your personal coin and the design reflects that, including your interest in trams, I'd probably get one.