Etrex Legend

redturbo

Hi, i am new here i want to try geocaching, i have a pharos bluetooth gps and dell pda i use for navigation but don't want risk damaging them. I went to few web sites for reviews of the legend, overall the reviews were good 4 out 5 stars,but some people there said the screen would get lines in it, or joystick or the rocker switch would stop working right after the warrenty expired.anybody experience this with their legend ,i am considering a magellan explorist 210 from what i read here it is in the same price range as the etrex. i like the size and looks of the etrex but not really a bargin if it stops working after a year.what do u think legend or explorist 210 for me.

Between the two of them both would be fine for geocaching, but there are differances

The Magellan Explorist 210 has 28MB of memory for map storage, the legend has 8MB of memory for map storage.

The Explorist use a file structure that allows you to save cache file in any catagory you would like to create, geographic area, cache type, cache ratting and so on, The Legend will not do this.

The Explorist 210 will do auto routing with mapsend direct route, the legend will not do auto routing.

I think the Explorist can be found for about $156.00 the Garmin Legand for around $140.00

For $16.00 more the Explorist 210 is going to be a better buy.

Not trying to talk you out of the Magellan, but the Legend has a huge fan club around here (or maybe it's just me and I'm extremely loud). Anyhow, I've beaten the bejeebers out of mine, and it's still going strong. Including the joystick. It's been a great unit, getting on for two years.

Garmin has legendary (ha, ha) customer service. I can't imagine anyone having a problem with a repair, even out of warranty.

Do you have a sporting goods store nearby where you could see a couple models in person? They all have an ergonomics all their own.

I'll echo the thumbs up for the legend. I've sent mine sailing off the top of my speeding car on at least 3 occasions. It still goes strong with no screen or joystick problems. Mine is over 5 years old now. Rugged, reliable and a nice small compact unit that can be operated with just 1 hand. Maybe a few less bells and whistles but if Geocaching is your primary goal - this is one very nice unit that will help you find many.

The Legend is a very good, durable unit. Like any electronic item there will be a small amount with problems, but overall most people I know who have one are very happy with it.

That being said, the 210 is a better deal if it is only $16 more. I've seen Legend refurb units selling for under $120 though.

Not to confuse matters, but the Lowrance iFinder H20 is also one to consider in this price range. T H20 has come down in price since they released the color model and you can find it for around $130. For around $200 you can get the Plus package that also comes with mapping software, memory card and a card reader (you need Lowrance's CR to load maps). Neither Garmin or Magellan can come close to matching this bargain.

I love my legend and wouldn't trade it for the world. I've only been caching since May and it is the only GPSr I've ever had.

But I dropped it in my yard once when I was carry a bunch of things into the house from my car and it was pouring down rain. The legend was out in the rain for quite a while before I realized it was gone and then until I found it. I brought it in the house dried off the front and turned it on and it came on without hesitation.

I forgot to mention, the Explorist 210 uses a USB data port to load files, the Legend does not.

These guys have good prices tigerGPS

While the legend is a good unit, I have used one.

Lets not forget that the Explorist 210 has 28MB of memory compared to 8BM in the legend. The exlorist 210 will do auto routing if used with Magellan map send direct route, the legend will never be able to do auto routing.

As far as warranty service, having been a buyer for a GPS dealer and dealing with Magellan and Garmin with returns for customers. Both Garmin and Magellan have very good customer service. But I have seen magellan honor warranties of GPSr that were over a year out of warranty.

When looking at GPSr at a store, ask the sales person which ones they have used in the feild. You will find that most sales personal have never used a GPS and they are not going to know much about them. they may not even know how to turn one on. In most stores the training re GPS gear is limited to a 1 hour seminar by factory rep. Which happens about one time a year.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I've had my Legend since early 2002, and it still works great, with no thumbstick problems.

Well, almost great... I accidentally left it on the roof of my van a couple of weeks ago and drove two miles before it finally flipped off at 55 mph. It took a little damage to the screen (there's a ten-pixel stripe on the left side of the screen that's now blank) but other than that, it still works perfectly, even after bouncing off the pavement!

My legend has been dropped on the driveway out of the truck, baked in the sun until the screen turned black, frozen to the point it takes 4 or 5 seconds for a full screen refresh, bounced down a flight of stairs, dunked in the lake, left on the dash of the truck for a weeks straight in the middle of summer (or winter) subjected to near constant vibration 10 hours a day for a week (laying in bottom of aluminum boat with outboard motor). For over two years now. Still works just like the day it came out of the box. No complaints. My personal experience has been that the magellans are not as easy to use--especially one-handed. Go with the Garmin.

My legend has a cable that hooks right into my computer so I can download files. I'm sure this will be very useful once we get off our duffs and become premium members. It came with my unit in the same package -I think.

In our case the sales guy at Dicks has used several GPSrs. We live near the Chesapeake Bay so there are many people in the area who use the GPSr for boating. If we lived inland it's quite possible the sales person would never have picked up a GPSr except to sell one.

We don't need anything more than the space we have on our Legend. I suppose if you will use your GPSr for other things you may need more space. The Legend has a basic map already on it. We are not boaters and only use the Legend for caching and when we go on trips, but mostly caching.

So you just need to decide what your usage will be. As you can see both are good units.

I used an eTrex Vista for 3 years before buying a Garmin 60CS. I carried my Vista on a lanyard around my neck, which resulted in lot of unintended contact with rock walls, etc. during searches - I don't carry the new GPS that way :anicute: .

Here's a list of the problems I've had with the Vista:

1. Goes dead at random. This is caused by bad connections between the batteries and the spring clips that hold them in. Gently bend the spring clips out a bit to tighten things up and the problem goes away.

2. Lines across the screen, black screen. This started after about 2 years of heavy use. Turned out to be the ribbon connector between the screen and the main electronics board inside the unit. i fixed it myself, but it was a hack. I only tried fixing it because I was tired of tapping the GPS in the palm of my hand to restore the screen, which BTW always clears up the problem.

3. broken battery clip - my own fault - pulled the batteries out and hooked the vinyl battery cover on the spring clip, breaking it off. The unit was still under warranty. GARMIN had my completely refurbished Vista back in my hands in less than 2 weeks, no charge at all.

So I beat on the thing mercilessly, had a couple of minor problems, and had a great experience with GARMIN technical service. I can't recommend their products highly enough.

I forgot to mention, the Explorist 210 uses a USB data port to load files, the Legend does not.

I`m no computer expert, but I`m quite sure the Legend does use a usb port... considering that I use a cable plugged into a usb port of my computer to download waypoints to my Legend. The cable came standard with the GPS.

Can`t really compare the two as I`ve only tried an Explorist a couple of hours, but I have nothing bad to say about the Legend. It`s tough, waterproof, doesn`t go through batteries too fast.

Like all patch antennas type, it is sensitive to thick cover, but I don`t think the Explorist is better on that.

I`m no computer expert, but I`m quite sure the Legend does use a usb port... considering  that I use a cable plugged into a usb port of my computer to download waypoints to my Legend.  The cable came standard with the GPS.

The Legend C will connect to your computer using a USB port. The regular Legend connects using a serial connection. If you don't have a serial port on your computer, you need to get a USB to Serial converter to plug in the regular Legend. If you have a serial port, the regular Legend plugs right in. The serial connection is quite slow, but hey, your only going to load 8MB of map data at most anyway.

I have had my Legend for several years, and an Explorist for most of this year. I am assuming, and it sounds like this is the case, that all explorists have the same receiver. If so, the receiver on the Explorist is at least a generation better than the original B&W Legend. I have tested them in extremely difficult locations, where the Legend got no satellite signals and the eXplorist had 4 to 5 with good solid position fix. Given that, the excellent new maps, topo and routing street map, the file structure memory, its an easy decision, get the 210.

thanks everybody for all the info on the legend ,from what i read in here it sounds like a really solid gps, i will problably buy the explorist 210 i just like the fact that it has more memory and can do auto routing.since it is a new modell i hope it is as reliable as the legend,thanks for all the replies.