Ebay Charity Coin Auctions

carleenp

I thought a thread to point out charity auctions and discuss them in general would be good.

For example, right now Hula Bum has one

and I have another.

There have been some other good ones in the past.

I think these could get lost a bit in the general ebay thread and people might not want to make individual threads for each. Plus I had questions when I set mine up that was not entirely on-topic (but not off-topic either) for the ebay thread. So I thought I would start a separate thread for them in general. Well that and I like charity auctions. :blink:

Hi

There is currently a "Gold" EU coin being raffled for Children In Need.

The coin is numbered 003 and is GC trackable.

This is a fantastic coin being raffled for a great cause.

Children In Need, Gold EU coin 003

Thanks in anticipation of your support.

Many thanks to Alex (Slytherin) for his generous donation of this coin.

Cheers

Tony

Edited for bad speeling

Edited by mongoose39uk

Hmm, it never even occured to me that a link to auction supporting a group would be a solicitation. Whoopsie daisy. I think we all had the best of intentions.

I understand that rules are rules, though I think it's sad that every Tom, Dick and Harry can sell their coins and post that, yet ones for charity are not allowed. That's a bummer.

Edited by Hula Bum

It didn't occur to me either, but it is a very valid point. So if a moderator/Groundspeak closes this thread I understand. Although I am also about to make some general comments, so perhaps leaving it open for feedback on those would also be good. Up to them and I respect it either way.

So, despite my first comment above, at the same time coins are relatively new as a popular thing and Groundspeak has some interest in them as well. Unlike general charity threads or cache pages pushing a charity, the fact that a geocoin is involved is a bit more directly related to the game. Although I also see the argument that it is not really any different from a cache page seeking charity donations. However there are differences in that the charity buyer does receive a caching related item. Plus Groundspeak obviously gets some exposure and funding from coins and selling tracking numbers etc. Also a coin auction is not tied directly to Groundspeak in the same way that a cache page or a forum thread simply pushing a charity unrelated to caching is. But a charity auction post/thread does of course point to a charity and the guidelines do seem to say no to that in just about any shape or form without their permission.

Perhaps Groundspeak would like to formulate some policies on this type of thing or give permission for geocoin charity auction posts, since the "coin craze" is a relatively recent thing that I doubt they had thought of when formulating the current guidelines. Either they can say no to all such things, allow them case by case, or say all is fine with coins etc. I can see reasons for any of those and it is obviously their decision to make. In the meantime, if they choose to shut this thread or others like it down while deciding, I respect that. I certainly didn't mean to cause any trouble! :anibad:

It didn't occur to me either, but it is a very valid point. So if a moderator/Groundspeak closes this thread I understand. Although I am also about to make some general comments, so perhaps leaving it open for feedback on those would also be good. Up to them and I respect it either way.

So, despite my first comment above, at the same time coins are relatively new as a popular thing and Groundspeak has some interest in them as well. Unlike general charity threads or cache pages pushing a charity, the fact that a geocoin is involved is a bit more directly related to the game. Although I also see the argument that it is not really any different from a cache page seeking charity donations. However there are differences in that the charity buyer does receive a caching related item. Plus Groundspeak obviously gets some exposure and funding from coins and selling tracking numbers etc. Also a coin auction is not tied directly to Groundspeak in the same way that a cache page or a forum thread simply pushing a charity unrelated to caching is. But a charity auction post/thread does of course point to a charity and the guidelines do seem to say no to that in just about any shape or form without their permission.

Perhaps Groundspeak would like to formulate some policies on this type of thing or give permission for geocoin charity auction posts, since the "coin craze" is a relatively recent thing that I doubt they had thought of when formulating the current guidelines. Either they can say no to all such things, allow them case by case, or say all is fine with coins etc. I can see reasons for any of those and it is obviously their decision to make. In the meantime, if they choose to shut this thread or others like it down while deciding, I respect that. I certainly didn't mean to cause any trouble! :anibad:

However, Would it not be better to "ask first" like for a cache page instead of waiting to see if it gets caught? there have been very strong guidelines about charity's on this site and these forums. My impression is NO charitable content is allowed. The normal way to handle this is to, as I said before, "Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first." I would think that the OP should close this thread and find out what Groundspeak has to say. Not the other way around.

I added the bold to the word first.

After a very nice off-forum conversation with CO Admin, who was very helpful, I am leaving this thread open on the condition that it discusses whether an exception should be made for posts about charity coin auctions. But if the thread becomes advertisements for auctions, myself or a moderator will close it. Thanks! :anibad:

Edited by carleenp

It seems to me that the whole area of geocoins is a grey area as far as the guidelines are concerned. The selling of personal coins seems to be frowned on and yet happens, katrina coins were allowed to be discussed yet there wasa a major problem when the tsunami was mentioned on a cache in England - (No I am not suggesting that was American Xenophobia). This thread, the CIN thread for an exciting opportunity to get the gold EUcoin (only 7 ever made) etc. Suggests that there needs to be a re-examination of where Groundspeak sit with regards to coins in general and Charities auctions, raffles etc

Bob

I was under the impression that these forums were not to be used to sell trackable personal coins. That seems to have been ignored totally.

I echo what was said above. You can hawk any old geocoin that you like on the gc forums, but sell one in aid of a good cause and you get pooped on from a great height.

What a bizarre situation.

Alex.

However, Would it not be better to "ask first" like for a cache page instead of waiting to see if it gets caught?

I HAVE previously enquired and was told by a Groundspeak appointed reviewer/moderator that those guidlines ONLY apply to cache listings and not forum posts.

Edited by SlytherinAlex

There have been numerous posts for people selling personal Geocoins and yet a coin that an idividual does not profit from is. I have no issues with postings for E-Bay Geocoins being sold to raise money for a charity or a charitable act on the part of an individual. Its not a cache that is listed on the website, which by passes the concerns about GC.com appearing to give tacit approval to a charity as the coin is an E-Bay listing.

I agree with Alex, if the guidelines only apply to caches then this is not a source of concern.

However, Would it not be better to "ask first" like for a cache page instead of waiting to see if it gets caught?

I HAVE previously enquired and was told by a Groundspeak appointed reviewer/moderator that those guidlines ONLY apply to cache listings and not forum posts.

from the geocoin welcome thread pinned at the top of this forum. The geocoin forum

Welcome to the Geocoin Forum!

While the intention of this forum is to discuss the Geocaching related aspects of geocoins (movements, tracking…); we realize that the trading and collecting of them is quite popular.

To ensure that this forum is a success, please respect our ground rules when it comes to selling and trading of coins:

This forum may be used for personal selling, trading or giving away of items. Geocaching organizations are permitted to use this forum for purposes of selling, trading or giving away of geocoins.

No company or business postings/advertising is allowed. Charity Solicitations are also not acceptable. Groundspeak reserves the right to determine if an item for sale is inappropriate for this board.

Those choosing to participate in an exchange on this board take full responsibility for any consequences of that exchange. Groundspeak is in no way involved in the sale or trading of items on this board and will not be held responsible or liable in any way for quality issues, fraud or any default of transfer on the part of the buyer or seller.

Individual negotiations or information exchanges should take place through private e-mail or telephone correspondence, not on this board. Please use the communication tools provided on the site or private email.

That is pretty straight forward. They are even called ground rules not guidelines.

Edited by CO Admin

I'm sorry, but according to the rules, this thread is not allowed.

As pointed out the rules state:

"No company or business postings/advertising is allowed. Charity Solicitations are also not acceptable. Groundspeak reserves the right to determine if an item for sale is inappropriate for this board."